[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Lord of The Rings one of the greatest metaphors for immigration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 347x145) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 347x145
Is The Lord of The Rings one of the greatest metaphors for immigration that there is?
>>
sauron and the orcs are industrialists/capitalists/Jews/modern society

there's no relation to immigration other than your racist stereotypes of what a mangy immigrant off the boat looks like
>>
It's been a while since I read the Silmarillion but from what I can recall off the top of my head that orcs are just degenerate elves and have been in middle earth longer than humans
>>
File: 03 - D2So1.jpg (70 KB, 783x516) Image search: [Google]
03 - D2So1.jpg
70 KB, 783x516
>>66915258
Asians immigrants (those from East Asia especially) do better than native white populations in Western countries. The only reason why you wouldnt want more Asian immigrantion is because of racial reason - which of is valid but it isnt for any other reason other than that.
>>
>>66915327
You mean other than the fact that Tolkein straight up said Orcs were meant to be Eastern Europeans?
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
>>66915409
No doubt. I'm part Azn
>>
>make money in china from being corrupt communist party members or having connections to corrupt communist party members
>buy your way into the west with that dirty money
>look at us wez be successful n shit whitey

Haha fuck off zipperhead, even East Asian countries hate East Asian immigrants
>>
>>66915409
well you might want fewer of them because they tend to cluster together and form affinity networks which has the effect of capturing large swathes of the job market, and also has a deleterious effect on social trust. not to mention asians hive high rates of cheating and system gaming. a society with a lot of asians is a society where no one likes each other and life consists of scrambling to the top of the pile by any means necessary. it's why asians do best in white countries where they can enjoy all of the benefits of high social trust even as they undercut it with their behavior, but their own countries tend to be dysfunctional and burdened by extreme corruption. the few asian countries that do have high social trust arent sending many immigrants out to other countries anymore, so they dont really count
>>
>>66915423
Tolkien absolutely hate analogies. I don't know who the fuck told you that but they are wrong.
>>
>>66915692
Are you kidding me? There were so many Christian analogies in his works
>>
>>66915799
Not only that, World War One, Catholicism, European folklore, pagan mythos. Anyone who says Tolkein didn't use analogies is a troll straight up.
>>
>>66915799
He has outright said that he just wanted to write a fantasy Book that would be remembered for ages.
Any Analogies you see is coming from you. Even if you look at it that way, Name one Christian "analogy" in his work.
>>
>>66915897

get a load of this uneducated idiot!
>>
>>66915941
Tell me how I am uneducated.
>>
>>66915897
what is Eru Iluvitar and the Maiar.
>>
>>66915897
Gandalf as a Christ figure

Are you kidding me right now?
>>
>>66915692
Allegory=/=analogy. Tolkien's works were inspired by many things, he just didn't want people to look for 'messages' in his works.

>>66915897
Eru Illuvatar? Resurrection of Gandalf? The unwillingness of divinity to intervene?
>>
>>66915897
One omnipotent creator god and his closest, most powerful "angel" contending with him.
>>
>>66916053
gandalf never died, faggot. he just didnt die and "leveled up"
>>
>>66916108
he most certainly did die. However, as a Maiar, his spirit persisted through death and Eru sent him back.
>>
>>66915521
Sounds like theyd be perfect in america
>>
>image.jpg
>its a shit thread
every time
>>
>>66915675
Sounds like america
>>
>>66915423
No, he never said that.

>>66915853
There's a difference between inspiration and analogy.

>>66916108
No.

>>66916122
>as a Maiar
Everyone's spirit persists after death. Souls are immortal and indestructible in Middle-earth.
>>
>>66916122
read the simarillon
>>
>>66916218
Learn to spell it first
>>
one of the greatest themes of the stories were brotherhood and breaking the barriers of race families

Don't attribute your countries' ineptitude to Tolkien's ideas
>>
>>66916026
Not even close.
>>
>>66916209
I meant more that his spirit persisted ON MIDDLE EARTH. Most souls either go to Valinor or to Eru's realm.
>>
File: attack-on-titan.jpg (166 KB, 630x394) Image search: [Google]
attack-on-titan.jpg
166 KB, 630x394
>>66915258
>>
>I will not the White City fall

>Nor our people fail.

Geeze Aragon, you sure would be pissed off here in real life.
>>
File: 1340942162115.jpg (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1340942162115.jpg
55 KB, 400x400
>>66916053
>Eru Illuvatar

Never once referenced in LotR and not an analogy for God anyway because he's a carbon copy.

>Resurrection of Gandalf?

Resurrection has been a literary motif for longer than Christianity has existed.

>The unwillingness of divinity to intervene?

Also not an internal aspect of the story. And I don't see what that is supposed to represent anyway.

Tolkien fucking hated it when people tried to insert analogies into his stories. He hated analogy, he thought that it was a crutch for poor story telling.

Also Tolkien was explicitly not racist. He hated the Nazis before WW2 even started because of their race policies and he was horrified by how blacks were treated in his native South Africa.
>>
>>66916158
>le image threads are bad maymay

Ecks Dee

>>66916209
Inspiration and analogy are synonymys in this case

>>66916331
Great counter argument
>>
Is there a name for anachronistic interpretations? Like if someone came around and explained how Mordor works as an allegory for Google or something like that.
>>
>>66916336
They go to the halls of mandos, not eru's realm.
Read the Silmarillion.
>>
>>66915258
>Responding to Sol Invictus
>>
>>66916401
Again, analogy=/= allegory. Tolkien hated it when people looked for hidden messages in his work, but to say that he wasn't influenced by his religion is erroneous. I agree that he wasn't racist.
>>
>>66916455
Um it was a metaphor for Eastern Europe in Tolkeins time
>>
>>66916401
1: He is referenced in LoTR, and him being VERY similar to God is what makes him an analogy, because they are ANALOGOUS.

2: Less about Resurrection and more about a Messiah who died for you and comes back to save you.

3:This one is irrelevant not only to LoTR, but to everything in Tolkien. However, its the same as #1.

Tolkien most certainly did not hate analogies, read the literal introduction to the Silmarillion.
>>
>>66916401
>Tolkien hated analogy
Whenever I see quotes of his saying this, I just laugh at how conceited he sounds.
>>
>>66916492
Yet again. No, it was not a metaphor. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>66916456
From what I understood, Men are to go from the Halls of Mandos to live with Eru. That was the doom of the Elves. They were longer-lived and more beautiful, but they were bound to Arda and could never leave it, unlike Men. But yeah, they go to the Halls of Mandos first.
>>
>>66916530
Yeah he only hated peole asking him about analogy in his works because he didnt like to give an answer
>>
>Gondor, Rohan - Indians
>Elves - Chinese, Japanese, Koreans
>Dwarves - Arabs
>Hobbits - Pacific Islanders
>Easterlings - Africans

-Sauron, Saruman, Orcs, Uruk Hai, Goblins - European colonists

If you're talking about the rape of asia by barbaric Europeans then you're absolutely correct.

White "it's okay when we do it" fags BTFO.
>>
>>66916530
I laugh at how Conceited you sound?
>>
The orcs had it really bad for like no reason. Mer and men just really didn't like people who didn't look like them.
#orklivesmatter, #goblinsaregood, sauron did nothing wrong
>>
>>66916630
That's another interpretation

Immigration on both sides is bad
>>
>>66916630
>White "it's okay when we do it" fags BTFO.
It is. We don't ruin the countries we invade. If there's a civilization prospering in Australia or Japan or Africa, it's due to us.

Get fucked. I know it's b8 but you people irritate me nonetheless.
>>
>>66915258
no you fucking idiot
>>
>>66915675
I see you've worked with asians before. They're some of the most slimey business people I've dealt with.
>>
File: district-9-affiche_208824_5343.jpg (60 KB, 431x321) Image search: [Google]
district-9-affiche_208824_5343.jpg
60 KB, 431x321
>>66915258
>Is The Lord of The Rings one of the greatest metaphors for immigration that there is?

You probably missed this OP.
>>
STOP BEING RACIST TOWARDS ORCS

THEY ARE JUST AS MUCH PEOPLE AS YOU OR ME

ELVES ARE THE FAGGOTS HERE, SPREADING DISINGENUOUS LIES AND SLANDER

The average orc just wants to live an average life in the south fishing or something. The average orc doesn't even like sauron and thinks he's constantly making mistakes.

Sincerely fuck you
>>
>>66917523
Fuck that god damned movie. IT'S BEEN WELL OVER THREE FOOKING YEARS. Piece of shit. Director proved that he's a fluke.
>>
>>66915258

Not at all.

Orcs weren't pouring over the borders and asking for government support from Gondor and Rohan and then you as a citizen get to sit there an see your government approve it and have no actual say in it and if you speak out you're labeled a racist because "maybe I don't like orcs spilling over my borders, benefiting off of my tax payer money, and raping my women sometimes too" but don't go too far with that last one.

They might label you as Hitler if you say that and get enough followers.
>>
Why does /pol/ have to take everything of beauty and twist it into some kind of commentary? Can't you just enjoy a piece of art rather than trying to contort it to your ideology?
>>
File: and then he enters Frodo.jpg (83 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
and then he enters Frodo.jpg
83 KB, 1920x1080
>For Trump
>>
>>66917717
>muh /pol/ boogeyman
Grow up
>>
its funny that all these old stories about fighting evil invaders and oppressive governments sound so "racist" and "problematic" these days.

Even independence day just feels like an allegory on muslims now.
>>
>>66917523
its actually horrible.

It triggers my autism whenever somebody uses ALIENS as a metaphor for racism. It just doesnt fit unless you do have a racist world-view and believe that other ethnicities are a biologically different species.
>>
>>66917717
yeah because the LOTR books don't spend paragraphs fawning over how fair skinned and light eyed all of the heroes are and describing in almost autistic detail just how very white everyone of worth in the series is and how dark and "squint eyed" (actual phrase used in the book) the antagonists are

face it, LOTR is a decidedly pro-white, nativist work. tolkien may not have hated shitskins but he sure as fuck loved his own people and considered them the pinnacle of beauty on earth. sorry that triggers you, darkie.
>>
>>66918018
It's not a metaphor for racism, it's a reflection on the Zimbabwean immigration crisis in SA.

Rewatch the short (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le3y0QlLjJE) - the vox pop's were asked what they thought about the Zimbabwean immigrants. There are just as many black South African's saying they should go home.
>>
>>66917816

A boogeyman would imply it's not real

What's your argument bitch?
>>
>>66918229
>Not knowing the subtext of a boogeyman relies on more than its existence
Yeah, confirmed for 12 year old
>>
>>66918140
Tolkien definitely liked white people (specifically Scandinavians), but that doesn't make LotR about immigration. Also, nice try, but I'm as white as snow.
>>
WE HAVEN'T RAPED A GERMAN ASSHOLE IN THREE STINKIN' DAYS!
>>
>>66918261
Just like everyone on /pol/!
>>
>>66918328
"xD"
>>
>>66915258
But there were only 2 Hobbits who immigrated to the Undying Lands (Sam eventually did, too, but I don't think that came up in the movie).
>>
>>66915675
Everybody does that, no?
>>
>>66918229
>bitch

Ultra edgy

>muh beauty

Lol top cuck
>>
>>66916026
>Gandalf as a Christ figure
Why? Because he died and came back? Are you implying this is something only Christ did? Not Germanic legends like Odin killing himself to learn magic, which has FAR more inspiration in LOTR than fucking Jesus?
>>
The Walking Dead sort of is at least in terms of some of the shot choices of some episodes, but it's probably coincidental
>>
>>66920659
Also the episode where the whole town was swamped by zombies and they all pitched into to kill em all, that's like a predictor for what's to come
>>
Lord of the Rings is Tolkien, Tolkien is the Lord of the Rings. His experiences are reflected in the work if he wanted it or not.
>>
File: ;3.jpg (351 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
;3.jpg
351 KB, 1600x1200
That a confederation of all races would band together to defeat the bad guys and spend 1000 years in peace?
>>
File: 1455590301133.jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1455590301133.jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>66915258
this has been discussed before and we often come to the conclusion that orcs are the superior culture
>>
>>66916026
Is Goku from Dragon Ball a Christ figure too?
>>
>>66917280
The Uruk-Hai were reaching the industrial revolution before the men of Middle Earth, they were brining civisilation to a bunch of barbarians stuck in the middle ages.
>>
>>66915675

yes im Malaysian and can confirm this. we are cucked beyond repair
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.