[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Critics Consensus: Smart, solidly crafted, and palpably tense,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: 11466122_ori[1].jpg (12 KB, 180x267) Image search: [Google]
11466122_ori[1].jpg
12 KB, 180x267
>Critics Consensus: Smart, solidly crafted, and palpably tense, 10 Cloverfield Lane makes the most of its confined setting and outstanding cast -- and suggests a new frontier for franchise filmmaking.

>franchise filmmaking

The movie was good, but literally has nothing to do - even spiritually, unless you take it VERY loosely - with the original.

If this is a franchise, I expect the next "cloverfield" to be a zombie flick.
>>
Makes me wonder whether this might be a very good way to go with franchise films. Keep the setting, but remain free to change literally everything else about the film from the original formula - even the genre.

Seems preferable to these strings of movies that are near-clones of one another.
>>
I'm going to see it in 3 hours, I'll keep you posted
>>
>>66905719
>Keep the setting

But they did not do this
>>
Yeah the new thing now is to talk about how good it is and how everyone who expected it to be connected to the original, despite it having cloverfield in the title, is a fucking retard.

I'm not biting. I'll watch it eventually but I'm not giving any money to these fucking pieces of shit.
>>
>>66905675
What I'm thinking they'll do with it is make it a thematically linked series, like Twilight Zone or the Cornetto trilogy: Small Scale character pieces set against the backdrop of a massive, world-changing sci-fi disaster, or a "Cloverfield Event" as it were.

It'd be cool if the government actually did classify these as Cloverfield Events.

Also, a Zombie movie would actually be relatively close to the idea.
>>
Video games often have sequels that have nothing to do with the originals. No reason movies can't do this too.
>>
>>66905764
Spoiler: actual spoilers below.

>Movie is actually a Hitchcockian "is this guy actually bad or good" movie
>MEW leaves boyfriend and is driving
>Gets in bad wreck
>wakes up in a bunker
>John Goodman is the guy who you don't know if he's a crazy prepper, or if he legitimately saved MEW & the dude from some kind of fallout
>They hear helicopters - goodman says they aren't any kind of helicopter from this world
>Slowly find out Goodman IS a bad guy (probably)
>He kills the dude
>puts dude in acid
>MEW burns Goodman with acid and escapes
>acid catches on fire
>Gets outside
>Yep it's aliens
>bunker that was on fire blows up
>Aliens chase MEW
>MEW gets in truck and alien ship picks it up
>Blows ship up with molotov cocktail
>Gets in another car and starts driving
>hears AM radio saying survivors are gathering in Houston
>turns car that way
>fin

Would have been better if they cut to black after she sees aliens
>>
So is 'Cloverfield' just Hollywood's attempt at making an SCP-esque franchise where it's a bunch of disconnected, freaky stories that have little to no overlap with one another?

Because I am actually okay with that.
>>
Next Cloverfield will have vampires/zombies created by Tagruato
Screencap this
>>
>>66906032
Yeah, like I said. Basically a Twilight Zone/Black Mirror deal.
>>
So is the monster in it?

Whats the connection to Cloverfield?
>>
>>66906085
It's aliens - like lamprey with legs looking cow sized aliens. also spaceships that they come from
>>
Any pic of the aliens ?
>>
>>66906217
kinda like a short version of this with no eyes and an Alien-style internal lamprey sucker mouth
>>
>>66905675
Absolute trash, they manipulated Cloverfield fans into getting the word out by not giving them vital details and ultimately created something that's nowhere near as mysterious or interesting as Cloverfield.
The creatures sound like they were ripped straight out of that movie Skyline too.
This will be forgotten in a month or so whereas Cloverfield still generates good discussions many years later.
>>
>>66906516
It was actually good for what it was - using the cloverfield name was sketchy though
>>
>>66905675
>critics this critics that
Fuck off. Those pseudo-intellectual fags will worship anything that has the name J J Abrams attached to it, especially because Star Wars and all that SJW kikery has made it so he's 'in' now.
>>
>>66906516
>>66906716
It's a sci-fi monster anthology film series. Thanks to idiots like you Halloween became a Michael Myers rehash shit pile instead of yearly original spooky halloween stories.
>>
>When asked if what Abrams was trying to create was something in the vein of “Twilight Zone” or the “Amazing Stories” series but for film, Abrams confirmed, “It's an easy way to understand it at the moment, that it's just a cool anthology. And I think that this movie stands alone. I think [the director] Dan Trachtenberg did a terrific job on its own. But it does have a connection to something that we'd love to see through. But certainly the ‘Twilight Zone’ is one of my favorite shows and if this can be seen in that light, it would be a wonderful comparison…

>Again, it's sort of an easy way to say it's an anthology of cool genre films could all fall under the ‘Cloverfield’ banner. But seeing that this is just the second movie, I don't want to be presumptuous. There is a larger idea that we're working on that would be really fun if we could see through. Hopefully that can happen, but in the meantime, the ‘Twilight Zone’ comparison is flattering and hopefully appropriate one.”
>>
Being manipulated is your fault.
>>
Doe the monster tip toe around the outside of the house for 2 hours? Peaking in windows?

How the hell?
>>
>>66905934
The problem is that at the end they decided to make it kinda sorta tie into the original and it's complete garbage and drags the whole movie down.
>>
>>66908680
>they decided to make it kinda sorta tie into the original
that never happened in the slightest
>>
>>66908728
Ah yes I forgot how the previous hour and a half were an action sci-fi CG shitfest and not a thriller. Fuck off faggot, the ending was only there so they could slap the Cloverfield name on it.
>>
>>66908046
It's already started... People are actually supporting the money grab.
>>
>>66905989
>Aliens chase MEW
>MEW gets in truck and alien ship picks it up
>Blows ship up with molotov cocktail
>Gets in another car and starts driving
>hears AM radio saying survivors are gathering in Houston
>turns car that way
>fin

jesus christ
if true, that's a fucking stephen king tier ending
>>
>>66905989
>acid catches on fire
what is this
i don't even
>>
>>66905675
>the monster on the first movie was created by the aliens as a first invasion phase
>clover lane is the invasion hapenning

The aliens are just background for the main story, the same way the monster on the first movie was just background noise to move the characters and plot. Third movie might be both scenarios converging.
>>
>>66905795
Its a cheap plow but I shal give them my money to suppirt based MEW and based Good Man

I also hated the first cloverfield
>>
File: clov2043008.jpg (35 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
clov2043008.jpg
35 KB, 600x411
>>66909085
Wasn't Clovie an underwater creature?
Wasn't it also just the baby?
>>
>>66909250
>Wasn't Clovie an underwater creature?
yes. an underwater creature mutated by eating seabed nectar
>>
What was the ending of the original movie?
>>
>>66909388
new york gets nuked. monster probably dies and monster came from space.
>>
File: 18s3zubzyqeoojpg.jpg (22 KB, 450x308) Image search: [Google]
18s3zubzyqeoojpg.jpg
22 KB, 450x308
>>66909388
Scorched Earth, motherfucker
They initiate the 'Hammer Down Protocol' and Nuke New York into nothing.
>>
>>66909388
Manhattan gets bombed.

I think some very scrambled radio noise has a voice going "it's still alive" or something, can't remember.

Loved the first movie. Just got back from seeing this one, it was pretty cool. I liked it, definitely worth a watch.
Not as good as the first one but they're VERY different styles and I don't really think you can compare them that much.

Would marry mew instantly
>>
>>66909465
>monster came from space.
not in the first one

>>66909500
>some very scrambled radio noise has a voice going "it's still alive" or something
I think it was backwards?
>>
>>66909521
yes. watch the end scene. came from space and landed in the ocean.
>>
>>66909465
>>66909470
>>66909500
No you sillywillies the original Cellar movie or whatever the fuck it was before it got JJAbrahams`d
>>
>>66909561
It was just about a chemical attack or something. Once she got out of the bunker, she died.
>>
>>66909561
Oh you silly goose
>>
File: Cloverfield-Viral.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cloverfield-Viral.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>66909521
Messages backwards AND forwards
The first one was 'Help us'
The second one is 'It's still alive'

>>66909561
What?
Don't call me a silly willy, you silly goose.
>>
>>66909559
That was a satellite. In fact, Tagruato covered up their involvement by saying the crashing sattelite is what awakened Clovie and made it attack NY

>>66909561
Basically the same movie minus the aliens
>>
>>66909608
Are you me?
>>
>>66909632
>satellite.
That's really fucking obtuse and retarded but I believe you.
>>
What about the spider-chans from Clover?
Do they show up at least?
>>
File: cloverfield-king-kong.jpg (45 KB, 786x449) Image search: [Google]
cloverfield-king-kong.jpg
45 KB, 786x449
>>66909663
Am I you?
Probably.

>>66909735
Nope.
>>
>>66909735
In 10CL? No. It is entirely it's own movie, with no connection to Cloverfield except apparently a letter one of the characters finds says Bold Futura, which is a company Howard used to work for, and a subsidiary of Tagruato, the company involved with Cloverfield
>>
>>66908046
>MUH ANTHOLOGY
Besides the fact that I'm almost certain you're a paid shill, it's a fucking shitty idea and an obvious excuse for the cashgrab abortion they've made.
>>
File: 10cl.png (115 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
10cl.png
115 KB, 320x240
>>
>>66908046
halloween was never going to be anything other than a slasher horror about a supernatural serial killer you dummy.
>>
>>66909704
The ARG said it was a satellite. I thought it was their recovery mission for the satellite that ended up waking up Clovie.
>>
>>66905675
>monsters come in many forms

So John Goodman is the monster in this movie?
>>
>>66910866
it's has a double meaning: John Goodman is a monster, but it also means aliens, which is different from Cloverfield's type of monster. Unless that was an alien too.
>>
8.4/10 film desu, shocked it wasn't shit like cloverfield
>>
>>66910838
deep sea drilling woke it up. Satellite fall was presumably Bold Futura shutting it down after it discovered something.
>>
>>66910916
Clovie was an organism in the deep ocean that ate seabeds nectar that made him rapidly generate because when you mix it with water it makes it toxic or something
>>
i don't understand why they didn't just make the shit at the end the cloverfield monster on a rampage?

else why call it cloverfield?
>>
>>66910995
It LITERALLY died in the first film.

JJ called it cloverfield because it "has the same feeling"

which is total bullshit, basically they jsut called it cloverfield for marketing. Funnily enough, this movies better.
>>
>>66910995
I swear this has been explained millions of times already but JJ wants to make it an anthology series. Cloverfield is the branding that will encapsulate stuff to do with monsters/aliens/the unexplainable phenomenon that will terrorise humanity. It's a codename, like an X-File.
>>
>>66910954
>>66910838
Clovie was already awake, feeding on the seabed nectar. The attempts at studying/observing it are what disturbed it
>>
>>66911049
He also said he has a larger idea they're working toward, if he gets to make more of the movies
>>
>fans of the original movie are upset by this

I'm not usually into schadenfreude but this time it amuses me.

Cloverfield was shit.
>>
>>66911111

It wasn't that bad, it was probably the best original monster movie in a long while. But yea, this is way better, the acting in cloverfield was utter shite.
>>
>>66911111
checked and decked.
>>
>>66911175
The acting was bad, the writing was worse, they couldn't make a full movie out of the concept so they threw in some shit subplots that went nowhere.

The tilting building was kind of fun. Using the found footage format for a monster movie was a decent new idea. Everything else was on par with Emmerich's Godzilla.
>>
>>66911111
you're wrong but that's ok. we all make mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1XpuqAlhM
>>
>>66909991
After the success of the first one, the studio started pestering Carpenter on doing more, so he made H2 which in his mind would be a definitive end for the Michael Myers story. Until the studio asked for a 3rd one. Carpenter then decided to hand the franchise to a new writer and director for a completely new and stand-alone story and thus Season of the Witch was made. The idea being making yearly horror movies set in Halloween with different writers and directors (you know, an anthology). However thanks to slobbering idiots like yourself, who cried about the absence of Myers in the third, the studio instead brought back Michael for the fourth and beyond, rehashing the same tired concept until exhaustion.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.