[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally watched this today Resounding meh. I mean, I guess it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: in-del-toro-byrne-ctk32062.jpg (77 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
in-del-toro-byrne-ctk32062.jpg
77 KB, 980x551
Finally watched this today

Resounding meh. I mean, I guess it was okay, overall

Somehow I went 21 years without being spoiled, so there's that.
>>
It was ok but I fell asleep half way through and woke up at around the boat scene
>>
>>66882129
Doesn't even look like Del Toro
>>
>>66882410
The movies pretty old. Even Spacey looks a bit different
>>
>>66882129
you'd have to appreciate theater, I think, to appreciate the usual suspects.

People don't get that going in, though, they think it's gunna be a shootem up.
>>
The kind of twist was cool back then, if it came out now it would probably get a 40 on R T or some shit.
>>
>>66882882
I didn't think that at all. To be honest I had no clue what the movie was about I just hear a lot of praise for it. I'm sure on a second/third watch I will appreciate it more, it wasn't awful or anything.

I was just happy I wasn't spoiled on a movie this old, so it kinda hyped me up going into it. I'm that assholes that goes out of his way to read/find spoilers usually.
>>
>>66882129
I'll flip ya
flip ya for real
>>
>>66882129

>round up the usual manlets
>>
It's a solid fun crime thriller, but the twist is one of the least interesting uses of an unreliable narrator that I've ever seen.
>>
>>66883041
That thing is way off anyway.
For example, spacey is 5'10'', Del Toro is like 6'3'' or some shit
>>
>>66883025
best line
>>
>without being spoiled
>not watching Scary Movie

OP confirmed pleb tier
>>
File: 34224.png (721 KB, 936x566) Image search: [Google]
34224.png
721 KB, 936x566
>>66883025
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>66883154
> Watching scary movie

Pleb is you, fag
>>
>>66883125

>5'10
>not a manlet

I'll accept that Del Toro isn't a manlet but what about the rest of them?
>>
>>66883002
To be fair, knowing the movie even contains such a spoiler is a spoiler in itself. It was never about having a big reveal despite the meme scene of the stuff on the wall. It was just a comfy movie with a fun refreshing spin carried mostly by great performances.

It works best when it's just a movie to watch. Not a "classic" or "Top Ten movies with mind-fuck spoiler-y endings" kind of movie. Just decent when decent was exceptional, much like today. But again the weight of must-watch distorts that.
>>
>>66883234

underage spotted
>>
>>66883025
Is that the one about the hooker with the dysentary?
>>
>>66883323
> calls someone underage
> while boasting about having watched scary movie

Lol go to bed you have school tomorrow
>>
>>66883393
>me: OP you're a pleb
>OP: NO U R
>some other anon: OP you're underage
>OP: NO U R
>>
>>66883103
You probably didn't watch it when it released. As people have said before about it, that kind of twist was a lot more of a "oh shit" sort of thing back then. There have since been tons of movies that do the same kind of bait and switch red herring shit
>>
>>66883436
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>66882129
KILL EVERYONE BORN PAST 2000

OP IS LYING, HES CLEARLY UNDERAGE

THIS MOVIE IS A MASTERPIECE, MADE SPACEY AND DELTOROS CAREERS
>>
>>66883492
I dunno, there have been plenty of great uses of unreliable perspectives in film before then (and definitely in fiction in general), even playing it as a twist at times. What rubs me the wrong way with the Usual Suspects twist is how it doesn't use the technique to get at anything beyond "woah did you know narrators can be unreliable!" even though plenty of movies have been finding more sophisticated uses for it for decades.
>>
>>66883754
You're an idiot if that's what you got out of it
>>
>>66882129
Reservoir dogs is a great movie
>>
>>66883659
>unintelligible dialogue
>killed half way through

Yah, made Del Toros career for sure
>>
i always thought the ending of scary movie was great, had no idea it was parodying this.
i saw the movie and didn't even realize it was the same twist until the dude dropped his mug.
good times. i wonder why ebert hated it so much, it is rewatchable even if none of the movie happened
>>
>>66883787
Okay there's the whole "people can craft a deceitful image and use that to get what they want" thing, but that really feels like an afterthought with the main purpose being just impressing us with how cool and clever the movie is for tricking us.

I mean that's clearly subjective, and maybe some people can find the unreliable narrator to be thematically meaningful, but it really didn't work for me.
>>
>>66883154
Even if he saw Scary Movie before this he wouldn't get it, retard
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.