[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If movies are shown in 24fps, why does almost every camera shoot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault[2].jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[2].jpg
10 KB, 480x360
If movies are shown in 24fps, why does almost every camera shoot in 30/60 or 25?
>>
Because 24 > 30/60, pleb.
>>
>>66883322
I don't understand the answer. My question is how are videos converted then, don't they get all blurry and shit? Are they trying to prevent regular "consumers" from shooting something that can be shown on a film festival or wherever?
>>
>>66881877
>why does almost every camera shoot in 30/60 or 25?
They don't.
>>
>>66881877
23.976 IVTC pleb
>>
>>66884027
kill yourself
>>
>>66884013
They sure do, look at the camera on your phone for example.
>>
>>66881877

because you have only been subjected to shitty cameras. Do you think they shoot film on a fucking piece of shit from Best Buy?
fucking uneducated swine.
Think before you make threads.
douchebag.
>>
>>66884116
But why don't pieces of shit from Best Buy shoot in 24fps? This goes back to >>66883685 - is this on purpose so that you can't make a "real" film on them?
>>
A girls vagina can stretch to push out a baby.

Why aren't most guy's dicks the size of a baby?
>>
you can go to best buy right now and by a dslr or video camera that shoots 24fps. No one trying to stop you from shooting a movie - 25fps is the standard for a lot of broadcasting like in the uk
>>
25 is PAL
30 is NTSC.

Consumer video recorders (and phones) shoot at these frame rates to comply with the standards.

High end digital video cameras shoot at variable frame rates, meaning you can set it at whatever you want (varicam, red, etc).

Most prosumer cameras/dslrs are capable nowadays of shooting at 24p for that "film look" though.
>>
>>66884697
Mine kinda is ;^)
>>
>>66886073
>Consumer video recorders (and phones) shoot at these frame rates to comply with the standards.
But why do they comply with those standards instead of the film standard?

What happens when they're shooting a TV show, what framerate are they shooting it in? What about an animated show?
>>
>>66881877
>>66884107
Movies used film, that's why. Anything after it is just following tradition.
>>
>>66887001
Why didn't film have 30 or 60 fps but 24?
>>
>>66886730
Camcorders comply with those standards because of television. I think phones just do the same because it is easier that way, though I am probably wrong about that.

A lot of TV shows are shot at 24 frames, especially nowadays, though there are some that are shot at 30. Animation is done on 2's (for the most part) though some is done on 4's to save costs. They are all still shown at 24 frames.

>>66887195
The reason it is 24 frames for film is because of sound. When sound was introduced into filmmaking it required the picture to be kept at an even frame rate which was established as 24 frames per second. The reason it was 24 was because it was the best option to work with. 24 was just the lowest easily divisible number.
>>
>>66887326
>They are all still shown at 24 frames.
How, if broadcasting goes at 30fps? It physically can't be shown at 24 frames, they have to duplicate some frames and ruin the flow of animation or add motion blur/interpolation to movies and shit.
>>
>>66886730
>>
>>66887326
>24 was just the lowest easily divisible number.
Why isn't the "high frame rate" 48 then?
>>
>>66881877
I always wondered; why 24? Why not 30? 60 looks like shit but 30 couldn't possibly look that bad could it?
>>
File: 10110P-2.jpg (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
10110P-2.jpg
48 KB, 400x400
Read the fucking ASC manual, OP.

It literally answers ALL of your questions.

http://store.ascmag.com/product-p/10110p.htm

It's floating around as a PDF on torrent too if you're a poorfag.
>>
http://gizmodo.com/why-frame-rate-matters-1675153198

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
>>
>>66887499
24fps was the minimum needed for people to see motion, not a series of disjointed pictures.

NTSC settled on 30fps for TV because they could use the AC power input (which oscillates at 60 times second) and just halve it to achieve signal synchronization. Timer used to be super expensive and complicated to implement pre-digital era, and settling on a frame rate that's a multiple of the AC oscillation rate allowed them to not have to implement complicated synch timer circuits in every TV set.

European PAL standard is 25 fps is for the exact same reason (European AC electricity oscillates 50 times a second vs 60 in North America).
>>
Also why make something that a consumer level viewing device can't show? Most people aren't watching star wars civil war 9 tv's with high refresh rates and what not. They just care about pixels
>>
24fps is the pulldown for editing in post.

doing CGI and other intensive shit in 30/60 would take longer.
>>
>>66887623
>Most people aren't watching star wars civil war 9 tv's with high refresh rates and what not.
Really, they can't view something at 24fps?
>>
>>66887623
>Also why make something that a consumer level viewing device can't show

Do you think plebs were clamoring for more resolution when HDTV first came out?

Plebs do not know what's good for them until you demo the difference right on their face.

Then, they buy whatever new shiny TV is needed to play that new sexy media.
>>
>>66881877
Because america is stupid and 25 fps is how movies are meant to be filmed.

24fps causes a flicker due to the camera making up for the less frame.
>>
>>66887379
>They are all still shown at 24 frames.
It isn't technically 24, it's 23.976 for television. Lazy people (like myself) just say 24. Things that are shot at 24 (or animation) is either slowed down or sped up (in the case of PAL).

>>66887461
High Frame rate is 48 fps. High frame rate has nothing to do with interlacing and 50/60i.
>>
>>66887461
Ever watch The Hobbit?
>>
>>66887623
Most tv's add digital frames to whatever you're watching.
>>66887669
Remember small soldiers with the giant projection tv
>bigger was better back then
>>
>>66881877
>why does almost every camera shoot in 30/60 or 25?

Because most TV and camera equipment use the AC frequency as a clock source.

US AC frequency is 60hz, so their TV signals are commonly 30fps.

Australian AC is at 50hz, so their TV signals are commonly 25fps.
>>
>>66887326
>The reason it is 24 frames for film is because of sound. When sound was introduced into filmmaking it required the picture to be kept at an even frame rate which was established as 24 frames per second. The reason it was 24 was because it was the best option to work with. 24 was just the lowest easily divisible number.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong.
They chose 24 frames per second with film, simply because it was the lowest number that could achieve smooth motion, anything less than that looks juddery, and anything more would cost more money per second of film.

It was purely a choice based on the costs of film.
>>
>>66887672
>How do FPS and cameras work? Nvm I'll talk like an authority:The post
>>
>>66887326
Animating on 4s is bad practise, it's 6fps.
Most anime is shot on 3s to save money, most western shows are shot on 2s.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.