[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Admit it, you say you hate it but you can't stop watching it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: magicians.jpg (174 KB, 1264x711) Image search: [Google]
magicians.jpg
174 KB, 1264x711
Admit it, you say you hate it but you can't stop watching it
>>
>>66855353
I mean the pic is hot, but it won't make me watch the Harry Potter/Twilight/Vampire Diaries girl show.
>>
I don't know what this is. The colors make it look like a 1970s show but I guess it's new and targeted to hipsters who are into pop-occultims?
>>
>>66855537

A (literal) god rapes one of the characters in the book.
>>
>>66855537
New show. Kind of Harry-Potter-ish but slightly darker. Nerd main character is obsessed with fictional world (Narnia-like) and ends up enrolling in a magic school.
I personally like it
>>
>>66855883

I marathoned the books in a few days after watching a few episodes of the show, it's surprisingly good but it doesn't hold completely true to the books, a certain person dying who otherwise would have lived, etc... Fogg too.
>>
>>66855353

if it wasn't for the main autist character, it would be enjoyable
>>
>>66855778
Second book. And it's horrific, that entire scene is fucked up. This is after the god completely eviscerates the girls entire coven after summoning it by accident.
>>
>>66855353

It's good enough so far that I'll keep watching for a while out of curiosity. Not super compelling yet, but interesting and not over-the-top girly.
>>
>>66856109
the god rapes her at her own request sorta, she asks for power and his jizz literally infuses her with it. she goes on to eventually become a dryad or some shit
>>
>>66855399
Don't forget Narnia
>>
Loved the show until I read the books. Now I hate it
>>
>>66855353
didn't even know this show existed but I also 100% ignore anything syfy. it looks like a female-targeted soap opera though from the pic
>>
>>66856220
It's surprisingly good. I've read the books and loved them, the show is different but good. I only watched this show because of The Expanse, which was impressive for a syfy original.

Give it a shot, it picks up around episode 3. Latest episode with them going to Antarctica is awesome.
>>
>>66856262
That episode was awesome, it's not the latest tho
>>
>>66856292
Oh shit, you're right. Downloading Ep8 now. My morning just got a lot better.
>>
>>66856322
Be prepared for the worse episode of all show
>>
>>66856391
by worst* u mean sad cause Ross from GOT died or really bad?

I personally enjoyed it, gave a hell of a lot more depth to the story and potential to expand on with this nature magic and moth guy too.
>>
>>66856391
Man, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, that episode was great. Showed off a lot of interesting nuance to the characters and really showed this show has some legs.
>>
alice giant fucking titties
>>
File: otd.jpg (502 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
otd.jpg
502 KB, 1365x2048
>>66855353
I watch it for the QTs.

It's not half-bad. I even enjoy the gay dude.
>>
File: tumblr_m1ki60r69c1qcysh1o1_500.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1ki60r69c1qcysh1o1_500.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>66855353
I watched a couple of episodes, but the main character's ''socially awkward'' stuttering just got so annoying to listen and also the mousy Hermione was so unbearably cliche, and honestly my least favorite character type.
>>
>>66857662
He's really not a problem, sure, the show focuses around his point of view, but the show has a lot of well developed side characters. He's not even that much of a bitch anymore. A few key things happen in the latter episodes that advance him forward a bit in social development.
>>
>>66856391
>pick itself up after episode three
>episode eight is the worst episode
Nah, fuck off with the inconsistency. If it couldn't hold itself up by episode eight it's not worth watching.
>>
>>66857725
Do opinions of random people really matter that much to you? If they do, check these posts out.

>>66857554
>>66856793
>>
Would be nice if the cast could properly swear instead of whatever shitty workarounds syfy are using.
>>
>>66857862
still doesnt hurt the tone
the effect is still there, they dont pat around it like shitty network shows
>>
The guy who plays Eliot is great
>>
>>66855353
Jesus what a tight little body
>>
>>66857875
Yeah I just think the show in general needs all the help it can get in not actually becoming the thing the books were largely a self-aware critique of.
>>
File: Alice.gif (3 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
Alice.gif
3 MB, 500x391
>>66857973
Alice's is better.
>>
>>66855353
I hate it and dropped. Couldn't stop reading books though until swallowed them whole. TV show was huge disappointment.
>>
>fantasy book about some nerd who is too much into fantasy books suddenly he is friends with the cool kids in the magic school for no reason at all
this has to be an illegal level of pandering
>>
I'm not 15.
>>
>>66858125
I judge things on the entire presentation, not the premise. If you want some insight from the books, it's more of a critique and satire of 'magical' fiction books. It still manages to have a compelling story, though.
>>
>>66858125
>in the magic school for no reason at all
Been in national top 100 IQ if not 20 among school leavers is not a reason? Though with how magic works in that universe its somewhat such choose criteria seems dubious but whatever. TV series of course fail to reflect such intellect. Can't play genius if your are dumb and average actor.
>>
>>66858396
The show dumbs it down to a more 'artistic' approach to magic usage, rather than purely intellectual. It also can't really go into the internal dialogue from the books, either.
>>
>>66855353
I like it okay
But the only thing that pisses me off is how they only do fucking naruto handsign bullshit
>>
why dont they use magic wands
>>
>>66858033
From the books:
>and Alice would stir sleepily in the sheets and sit up, the white sheet slipping down off her heavy breasts.

Good casting.
>>
File: The Magicians s01e07 Margo.webm (778 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The Magicians s01e07 Margo.webm
778 KB, 1280x720
good show
>>
>>66858546

yeah, the fingers crossing is slightly gay
>>
>>66858650
>Ibiza
confirmed for trashy chav slag
>>
The entire magic is a drug premise reminds me of Buffy
>>
>>66858798
The magic gang signs are hilarious.
>>
>>66855353
>retarded pic

I've never even heard of it until your thread OP, but I can tell from that image that it isn't even remotely worth watching. If you watch it because of cleavage then you're an idiot and get what you deserve in life.
>>
File: ignoreme.png (73 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
ignoreme.png
73 KB, 250x194
>>66859781
Pic related.
>>
>>66856262
How close is the show to the books? I really enjoy the show but get paranoid when I read book spoilers that the show has been spoiled.
>>
>>66859979
It's veering pretty significantly. The entire plot line with Julia doesn't happen till the second book (but it does take place during the timeline of the original) and the way she goes about he training happens differently. Looks like the end result will be the same for that, however.

Certain characters exist in one, or don't, but they aren't major story altering ones. The recent episode ended with a huge deviation, so it's not really a problem if you read any specific spoilers from the books. The general outline is there, sure, the tone is right, sure, but the story is progressing in different ways. I've enjoyed being surprised quite a bit, actually.
>>
>>66856189

the books are much better so that is going to happen
>>
>>66859979

they've taken the same pieces and rearranged the order, skipped over three years of character development, aged everyone up but kept the same personality of teenagers even though they're supposed to be college masters program level people..

They've changed a lot but I tend to think of the show as an alternate universe and it allows me to enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>66860266
>skipped over three years of character development
To be fair, the books do quite a bit of skipping as well. The 5 years spent at the academy in the books is fairly condensed, focusing mainly on major events from certain semesters or years.
>>
>>66860329

How is that fair? I think in your attempt to shill you forget they're plenty of people that have read all the books and know where all the weaknesses are and for the most part, the one enjoyable character, Julia has been made completely worse in order to make a character arc essentially. There is nothing fair about it.

I know canada cannot help but write badly at times, "Being Human" remake comes to mind but the show has a lot of issues so seeing someone defend it is going to make me go negative.
>>
>>66860329

People in masters programs do not act like people in the show either.
>>
Would they still get wrecked by traditional fireamrs like the Hogwarts kids?
>>
>>66860433
>the one enjoyable character, Julia
The weakest part of the second book? The only redeeming quality of her entire arc was when her friends get brutally murdered by a Fox god and she gets raped.

>ou forget they're plenty of people that have read all the books
Doesn't seem like you're one of them.

>I think in your attempt to shill
Viral marketing a side, enjoying things and conversing about them doesn't make someone a shill. If you're afraid of opinions, what are you doing on an interest board?
>>
so how many books are there? just the 2? Is the story done?
>>
>>66860611
3, yes
>>
>>66860537

So by your own last response, I'm not a true scotsman of opinions? Interesting so once someone poke's a hole in your swiss cheese shitty argument you get defensive too.. I can work with that.

Ask me any question from any book.

I disagree strongly with your first response line. I think her entire character arc shows how hard it is to break in once official channels are closed to you, (something the show did horribly.) Same with showing magic like the first book where they go into details about elements of spellcasting that create a cohesive if brief understanding of the world instead of using important world building to show passage of time like the show does.

They turned Penny into a highschool bully. How could anyone defend that writing?
>>
File: hermione yule ball.jpg (111 KB, 600x539) Image search: [Google]
hermione yule ball.jpg
111 KB, 600x539
>>66860482
>implying protego doesn't block bullets
>>
>>66860764
God she's so average
>>
>>66860714
>They turned Penny into a highschool bully.

As opposed to what? Being a broody literally who from the books? He 'IS' a bully during his school years. His biggest moment during Brakebills is a fistfight for no reason. Remember, it's not until the second half of the book that he even becomes relevant with the button. How can you complain about aspects of a character that don't even exist in the book? They're winging it with him and making him more fleshed out. He barely has a personality in the first book.

Julia is an emotionless void of a character during the fillory adventures from book2. Her backstory is barely coherent. It takes the entire book for her to finally interact with the greatest magicians of the non-Brakebills club, and they die almost immediately after meeting her.
>>
>>66860714
>they go into details about elements of spellcasting that create a cohesive if brief understanding of the world

lol
she makes a rainbow streak dude
her major magical advancement is due to literal god intervention, she gains nothing of importance on her own
>>
YA tier bollocks in violation of the source's intent
>>
File: hermione ass.gif (2 MB, 318x708) Image search: [Google]
hermione ass.gif
2 MB, 318x708
>>66860787
>God she's so average
>>
>>66860869

That is my point though they're making him into a shitty character to fill a 'void' an you're going after Julia's arc, the one thing about the three books that is actually defended for making Quentin likable(affable?) while trying to defend why you hate her arc(most likely her) and cannot admit your bias. I could accept your not liking the arc if you admitted your bias which you seem to be not doing and I'm guessing I can fix this with one question. Which character or arc do you like or love the most out of the three books besides Quentin. It an attempt to excuse shitty trope riddled writing out of the Canadian establishment, I think you're erring over what I see as a flawed premise where you're either comparing Julia to other women in the book or Quentin who was at best unlikable for first book and a half or so as a person. Her being 'emotionless' is the fact her shade(soul?) was stolen and she missed what was stolen from her so much that she dove into a fire. If you're going to critique something at least admit the bias from the beginning. She had emotion if that is your biggest thrust. Asmo exists in the third book so it wasn't a complete waste to show free trader coven.
>>
>>66861094
yep.
>>
we should make all the girls ugly to stop them from using their body like this
>>
>>66860996

Taking what I said out of context, I am talking about different elements that factor into spellcasting as a prism to understand the world in The Magicians books.

You took that with bad reading comprehension and thought I meant about Julia's accomplishments in spellcasting.

That is the entire point of her character arc is to struggle in ignorance.

Why the fuck are people complaining about shit that they either do not understand or don't care enough about to do five minutes of research.
>>
File: wew.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
wew.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>66861111
you need to reread this man
>>
>>66861164
>>66861111
>>66860714
You understand that you're trying to imply some sort of deeper meaning in a young adult fantasy novel, right?
>>
>>66861264

You understand that isn't a valid criticism and or refutation of anything I've said or written about, you're wasting posts by saying nothing?
>>
>>66861292
I'm stating that your interpretation of the books meaning isn't relevant to a purely factual discussion about the plot. Whatever your interpretations may be, with regards to the characters individual struggles, or what their strifes mean on a deeper, metaphysical level, is completely irrelevant.

No one came here to discuss your opinions. Don't forget, >>66860433 your entire post is an opinion. The post you're replying to? >>66860329 Factual. This does happen.
>>
>>66855353
I love it, can't wait for next episode.
>>
>>66861392

By replying to me, you're clearly discussing whatever I post whether you think it is relevant or not. You don't get to choose the battlefield and move goalposts because I know the source material and retreat behind rhetorical malfeasance in lieu of actual discussion.

The work(s) in question are fiction and then going into semantics to try and save face is disingenuous at best. Pointless as your claims of irrelevance in my posts so maybe a bit of irony as well.
>>
>>66860482
Top masters no. Power level is over 9000. They can eat stones, shit out bullets faster than machineguns or play Neo if they want to.
>>
>>66861514
We're not here to discuss literature. The relevance of discussion about the books is in reference to the plot of the TV series, that's where the conversation was when you decided to interject with your thoughts. Making up rules about the rules of conversational engagement is pretty weak, by the way.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.