[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tarantino on Taxi Driver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: taxi-driver-foto3.jpg (41 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
taxi-driver-foto3.jpg
41 KB, 600x450
Was Travis racist? It really didn't feel like it while watching the movie, it was clear that he hated scum, but he wan't against blacks in particular as far as I can remember.

Is Tarantino, dare I say it, an idiot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiaaG2yuvo&feature=youtu.be&t=4m7s
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>66841761
It may say he's racist, but that isn't present in the movie. What makes him racist?
>>
>>66842403
I mean that the script may say he's racist, but the movie doesn't.
>>
>>66841761
He's not racist, he hates everyone equally.
>>
He's as racist as any cab driver would be in 70's NYC.
>>
it never really portrays him as a racist in the movie
>>
>>66841761
All white men are racist.
>>
There's two times in the movie where he meets the gaze of a black guy. He doesn't say anything, but the camera implies a tension that isn't replicated anywhere else in the film.

To say he's racist isn't anything special, since it seemed like everyone hated each other in 70's New York.
>>
>>66841761
i remember watching this video ages ago and i was thinking wtf is tarantino talking about? he goes on about how "it's a movie about a racist" there may have been some implied racial overtones. but it sure as fuck is not a movie about a racist,
travis was an ill man who was very distrusting of everyone and all the degenerates and criminals. seems like he misunderstood the movie
>>
I didn't watch the YouTube video linked. The studio demanded the racial elements be toned down. Sport was written as black and they refused to make the picture unless he was changed to white.
>>
>>66841761
Travis was uneasy and distrustful of society, but especially blacks. Not necessarily racist though. He was willing to pick up passengers anytime anywhere. Including Harlem at night. Didnt matter what they're skin color was. Most cab drivers wouldn't consider picking up blacks in 70's NYC.
>>
>>66842911
Sport also only had two or three lines in the original script. The character was expanded when Keitel was cast.

That's why there's that somewhat out of place scene between Sport and Iris. It's the only scene in the film where Travis is present in some way, even in the scenes between Albert Brooks and Betsy since Travis is watching them from the cab.
>>
>>66843130
It's not out of place. The scene is meant to show what Iris sees that she gets out of their relationship. Otherwise the audience only gets to see Travis' poisoned point of view that Sport is evil
>>
This is weird, but I remember watching the special edition with Paul Schrader's commentary and he specifically mentioned that Travis was a racist character. It may be some of the most understated racism in film, but if the writer intended it, it's def there if you look for it.
Tarantino is flat out wrong though. He is just displaying how he views the world through the lense of race. He assumes all of Travis's major mental health problems stem from him being a racist, but this is from a guy who truly thinks he's a black man born with the misfortune of a melanin deficiency.
>>
>>66842575
this t b h
>>
>>66843244
>>66843130
I think I heard somewhere that scene was supposed to be Travis' s imagination, or a delusion or something
>>
>>66843275
I'm pretty sure the commentary said he wasn't legitimately racist, as much as it was just a way to direct his anger
>>
>>66843363
No, it's real. Scorsese was worried that the scene was going to far out from Travis's perspective. That's why they show Travis in his cab outside the building first so Travis is still present in some manner.
>>
blacks fall under scum anon
>>
>>66842826
This is about right. He isn't explicitly racist, Tarantino makes too much of it, but Travis definitely doesn't care for black people in a particular way.
>>
>>66841761
he only shot one black dude and he was literally robbing a store at gun point. After that he kills a white pimp, an Italian (I think) mobster and the apartment super
he just wanted to fuck shit up in the shitty part of town. Once again this is an example of closest racism in liberals
>he wanted to fight all the dirty scum in the city
>OH SO BLACK PEOPLE THEN?
>>
>>66843030
It's been too long since I've seen it, was there any chance he was picking them up to see if he wanted to kill them?
>>
>>66846149
No
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.