[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm super late to this but I just watched pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: 54f8d648c76cb.jpg (42 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
54f8d648c76cb.jpg
42 KB, 750x750
I'm super late to this but I just watched pic related.

I didnt really like it. It wasnt scary or spooky, it had some moments but the ending was pretty disapointing and some of the scenes were pretty bad.

What did you guys think of it?
>>
First time I saw it I liked it. Second time I thought it was a pile of crap.
>>
>>66815179
People were dickriding it for not having much jumpscares, and I do give it points for that, but in the end it just wasn't that scary nor thrilling. Also a bunch of shit that doesn't add up when you stop and think about it for a second.

It was meh, 3/5 stars.
>>
It's as good as fun film gets frankly.
>>
>>66815314
>film looks like its the 80's
>girl has a seashell e-reader
IMMERSION RUINED
>>
File: sepe.jpg (257 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
sepe.jpg
257 KB, 1920x800
>>
File: It-Follows-Maika-Monroe-467.jpg (43 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
It-Follows-Maika-Monroe-467.jpg
43 KB, 620x412
It had some neat ideas and the atmosphere was great, but the end was shitty.

Waifus were great though.
>>
>>66815179

So I really liked it. I'm probably just projecting but I though "it" was death. The anachronistic world the main character lived in was just a representation of the state of being alive (young, free, etc). The fact that it came after her after sex was more a representation of thinking about death once you hit adulthood.

All that just made sense to me personally as I watched it and caused me to find the whole thing very unnerving.
>>
>>66815179
Hitchcock had a quote that went something like, "Take a couple sitting in a cafe, having lunch. The scene is very boring. But if you let the audience know, what the couple does not know, is that there is a bomb under the table, with a timer ticking down. Suddenly the scene becomes very exciting."

What I've found in my time on /tv/ is that any Anon is in one of two categories: (1) Yes, such a scene IS exciting, or (2) Holy FUCK this is BORRRRRRRRRING is the bomb going off? This is dumb, if she gonna get her tits out??!"

If you are in Category (1), you will really love "It Follows."

If you are in Category (2), you will severely dislike "It Follows," and also you breathe through your mouth.
>>
>>66815455
Your mom found my dick unnerving
>>
>>66815455
I actually kind of like this, as it also means the best way to keep young is to keep fucking (which is true).
>>
>>66815437
Waifus were top tier, but I dont get why paul liked the main girl compared to glassesfu, shes best
>>
>>66815455
>>66815525
Yeah, makes sense. The sex was just a means of temporarily forgetting about death.
>>
File: eWkT4pxicwRx.jpg (56 KB, 300x438) Image search: [Google]
eWkT4pxicwRx.jpg
56 KB, 300x438
>>66815557
Maika is qt in a weird way. Gave me a hell of a boner in The Guest.
>>
>>66815179
Its a modern take on a generic teen slasher movie.
Its ok in my book,I would rather watch this than anything by marvel.
>>
>>66815179
I liked it, but I don't watch horror movies to be "scared." I watch them for an interesting concept and hope its executed well. This was.
>>
>>66815580
>slasher
>>
what the fuck was up with the pool scene?
>>
>>66815561
So "It" has found you, and walks in on you fucking. Does it wait and watch 'til you're done? Kill your partner and then, by extension, you? Go downstairs and raid the fridge?

These are the things I think about.
>>
File: mfw(22).jpg (6 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
mfw(22).jpg
6 KB, 250x239
>>66815580
>slasher
>>
>>66815618
You know what I mean,teen monster/slasher whatever you call them,this movie is by the book definition.
>>
>>66815499
You are retarded.
>>
>>66815624
Writers block. Granted, I've surely seen worse in that regard but still; it's writer's block. Other than the final act I actually loved the movie overall. One of my favorites last year
>>
>>66815499
I've also noticed two kinds of people on /tv/.

1.) people who like It Follows
2.) people who don't

Studies have shown that those in the former group are seven times more likely to have drastically bent penises than those in the latter.
>>
>>66815753
I thought it was just introducing the type of things her character does with herself during summer. relaxes, is happy and has fun.
>>
>>66815574
it was the socks
>>
>>66815179
good idea bad execution like The Purge. That ending was trash too.
>>
>>66815499
Holy shit you cant be more wrong.

I came into this movie very optimistic, I liked the first half, but the scene at the beach just blew all the steam it was building, the monster grabbed her hair, it was actually physical, but invisible, it turned into a kid with baggy eyes and screamed, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I liked the score, the directing was pretty good, but the plot just turned bad in the second half.
>>
>>66815764
I resent that.

I mean, my penis is severely bent, yeah, but that's only because your mom has a crooked vagina.
>>
This is what another anon wrote that changed my mind about IT Follows (wasn't a fan at first)
>I didn't want to do this, but here goes.
>"It" is (Again, in my opinion. I have seen many other just as valid interpretations.) a metaphor for the emotional trauma that people, specifically young people who arn't ready for it, who are the victims of sexual abuse experience. Be it full on rape, or being taken advantage of for sex in part due to the pressure puts on young people in our sex-driven society. The film makes a case for both.
>The reason that the story is so focused on Jay while none of the other characters really get much development is because they don't really understand what she's going through internally, again much like rape survivors. You don't really get "it" unless it's happened to you. They're there for her and support her, but at the end of the day don't understand her pain and just have to take her word for it that it's actually there.
>"It" will follow her her entire life, and it will kill her if she let's it get to her. She can try to fill the void with sexual pleasure to buy herself a bit of respite, but eventually it will come back to haunt her. All she can do at the end of the day is live with it, and learn to accept it and try to move on with the help of friends and family.
>Things like the body image issues she has after he encounter with Hugh and the whole "pool getting more and more fucked up every time she fucks" are also hinting towards this theme.
>The reason "It" was passed on the way it was is because sexual abuse is a vicious cycle. Hugh was abused, and in turn went on to abuse Jay, who then went on to use Greg for sex only to leave him out to dry. This left him hurt and emotionally confused afterwords, and eventually "it" got to him and ate him up. She's only able to live it by the end of the film by letting Paul in, and forming a relationship based on trust and understanding so as not to make the same mistake she made with Greg
>>
>>66815841
you read into it too much. didn't even read your post btw.
>>
>>66815179
first half of the movie was decent, did a good job of building tension

movie completely went to shit when all of the other friends started to believe her
>>
>>66815179
is it because you're a virgin, anon?
>>
>>66815841
I agree.
>>
>>66815779
oh, thought you meant the ending
>>
>>66816614
i wasn't that guy who posted originally.
>>
It Follows was some Detroit hipsters half baked wankfest.
>>
Well I'm glad you contrians finally got the guts to speak up. Shame you waited until well after anyone cares.
>>
maikafeet: the fap reel
>>
Everyone I know praised it like it was the greatest must see movie for the time. I won't even lie I'm a complete pussy when it comes to jump scares and always fall for them so I went in thinking I was gonna have some intense movie experience. I found myself underwhelmed completely and let down after it was all said and done. I still think it's a cool movie and a cool concept I guess but it's nothing out of this world spectacular. Decent enough that I've watched it more than once tho so I guess that's a positive.

>>66815810
I really liked the score, the directing, and the overall presentation/feel as well just got myself overly optimistic.

>>66815499
I don't buy into the whole Anon's will either like or hate it tho that's a load of shit, it's completely possible to just be ok with a movie. It's absolutely ignorant to think everyone is either black or white.
>>
File: 1451887215263.jpg (45 KB, 460x645) Image search: [Google]
1451887215263.jpg
45 KB, 460x645
>>66815841
This seems like a valid interpretation of the flick, but even if that's what the director intended and they were successful in getting it into anon's head, that doesn't make the flick good.
>>
>>66818852
Why?
>>
>>66819195
If the movie was just a black screen with those words in that particular post scrolling across it in a slideshow it also would have gotten the point across, but a movie doesn't exist just to make a point, be it in an abstract or straightforward way. I don't think I could tell you what exactly makes a movie good, but I'm pretty sure 'getting the director's point across' isn't enough.
>>
>>66819266
Forgive me but:
You're saying that although the metaphor/symbolism side of it is good/interesting/whatever, it doesn't excuse it for being boring or lacking in a direct/literal way? Like it's all message and no substance?
>>
>>66819791
That's what I'm getting at more or less. I wouldn't say that there's no 'substance,' rather just that the substance is shit.

I don't like saying 'substance' though, usually because people use the idea to undermine style. When people say 'style over substance' I think that what that usually means is a failed attempt at something interesting. I think that 'style' is inherently good thing and that it should be encouraged and that 'substance' is usually too vague to really be used as a criticism and when people say it they just mean 'good.' Kind of forgot where I was getting at with that, but the gist of it is that It Follows is balls, even if it did manage to make an interesting point in an experimental and original way.
>>
>>66819866
Have you seen The Thing (Carpenter's) by any chance?
>>
>>66820135
Yes. I think it's a bit overrated but still a dank meme of a time. It would be nice if more people had seen Prince of Darkness. It doesn't have the manly drama of The Thing but it's one of the coolest urban horror movies ever made.
>>
>>66815179
It's trash. The worst film that's been shilled on /tv/, bar none.

>bland, flat characters
>banal dialogue
>subpar acting
>approximately one legitimate scare (no, I don't give a shit about jump scares)
>anticlimactic the pool scene was underwhelming as fuck
>awful "ambiguous" ending
>retarded sexual boogeyman right out of the 80s
>worst of all, wasting a somewhat original idea on 80s revivalism

3/10 at best. The cinematography and score were fine but couldn't save it.
>>
File: B1Fs92S[1].png (341 KB, 1064x528) Image search: [Google]
B1Fs92S[1].png
341 KB, 1064x528
I appreciated that the film was so subdued and thought it used tension pretty successfully, the score really helped with that, too. When this scene happened it felt way more effective because the rest of the film up until that point had been building tension rather than just peppering lots of little scares every ten minutes
>>
It Follows > The Witch
>>
>>66815179
vetter thriller than a horror
the idea that the follower turns intoyour parents to rape you is silly (but hot as fuck when it turned into the mom to get the neighbor kid)
>>
It's not really a super scary horror film so much as it is a 2deep4u artsy attempt horror film. It has all of the typical elements of that kind of movie, but it really isn't about that. If you go into it expecting a typical horror film, you'll probably be disappointed and feel like it's a bait and switch.

It has flaws, with the third act being the most glaring, but it's mostly successful with what it tries to do. It has a good premise, interesting themes and subtext, some great cinematography/music, and a great performance from it's lead actress.

I often compare it to The Babadook, but unlike that movie It Follows is actually good because it generates discussions and different interpretations that arn't quite as black and white. The fact that people are still discussing and dissecting what this movie was actually all about over a year later means that it was pretty successful with it's goals.
>>
The glasses girl literally quotes le russian writer at the end. This was the movie handing you the themes on a silver platter.

So what is it that people are so confused about theme-wise?
>>
It's part of the neo-horror trend of highly reviewing absolutely average and dull horror modern horror releases in an attempt to re-invigorate the genre

The Conjurying
The Babadook
It Follows
The VVitch
>>
>>66815179
Yep, it was pretty terrible. One of the times I shouldn't have listened to /tv/.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.