[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does it seem like everything these days is so commercialized?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Why does it seem like everything these days is so commercialized? Every single movie in theaters seems to be a remake, a sequel to an already milked out series, or comic / book spin off, all of which follow tried-and-true formulas to create a forgettable titles that are sure to attract as many demographics as possible.
I was talking to a friend and was saying that the reason studios are so afraid of trying something new or going into the unknown is the high price of movies these days (mostly because of the cost of CGI), which makes every studio be one or two flops away from bankruptcy. What do you guys think?

It seems like the film industry is not the only place where this is happening. Music too has become a a thing of "brand names" and more focused on the artist than the content. The video game industry also has had very little advancement in the last five years other than better graphics, and most AAA titles are generic games in whatever flavor of the year genre that offer no new mechanics or gameplay.

Or maybe I am just becoming jaded and looking at the past with nostalgia goggles? But it is hard to argue that anything like pic related is made for anything other then milking a franchise to the maximum.
>>
>>66804106
>that are sure to attract as many demographics as possible.

You answered your own question.
>>
>>66804106
you're just seeing behind the curtain

this is what it's been like since the beginningg
>>
>>66804106
Jaded and everything is slightly worse since demographics/data has become even more prevalent.
Middle budget movies (like Edgar Wright's stuff) has also become rare since the bigger the budget, the exponentially larger the return should be.
Same with a lot of vidya, except now it's pretty much only AAA or indie, and each are as bad as each other but with polar opposites.
>>
CGI is cheap as fuck and drives the production cost down. It's just that entertainment business has contracted exponentially due to piracy and consumer fatigue, also competition from gaming.

Music business has basically imploded, the same shit is happening in jewlywood, advertisement and journalism.
>>
>>66804106
>Why does it seem like everything these days is so commercialized?

Because people want it that way. Do you know who makes original, thought-provoking big budget movies? The Wachowskis. Do you know how people react? By not knowing what the fuck to make of what they're seeing and writing them off as one-hit wonders. People want, crave, their safe, predictable mass market schlock.
>>
Things get worse before they get better.
You know that prediction that eventually there will be so many blockbusters coming out that they'll start stepping on each other? Everyone's trying to both cash in and claim their market shares before that happens.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_industry
>>
>>66804106
>Doctor Strange is a little over half a year away
>still not even a teaser trailer

When can we expect to get something lads?
>>
because money.

no seriously you know why things still sell? its because kids are the easiest to sell to. You have to remember that theres a new kids everyday that doesnt know who sugar ray is.
>>
>>66804740
>entertainment business has contracted exponentially due to piracy
Honestly, the issue is just being able to get media in a way that is more convenient than piracy; Netflix doesn't always have what you want and it gets worse if you don't live in the States, other movie services/pay-tv are expensive and have their own issues. And that's before you start talking about geological content deals, where iTunes in one country won't carry GoT whereas it will be available straight away elsewhere.

Whereas with piracy, i can choose whatever quality file i want whenever, with different language dubs/subs if i want, and can take that movie wherever i want, it's honestly just so much more convenient, that doing it the proper way is a hassle.
>>
>>66805550

To be honest I don't give a shit. I want it all to burn down.
>>
>>66805465
They haven't even begun properly promoting Civil War so it's gonna be a few more months. Probably around Civil War debut.
>>
>>66804106
>Or maybe I am just becoming jaded and looking at the past with nostalgia goggles?

This tbqh familia.
>>
>>66804106

The movie industry has never been about trying new things. Its always a struggle for something original to get made and rarer for it to be recognized and successful.
>>
>>66804106
I blame the Yids
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.