[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How'd that film career going /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 620x310
How'd that film career going /tv/?
>>
It be as good as you're english
>>
>>66796048
Great i'm going to be in a couple of tv shows I never heard of. I audition for a main roles in a film today.
>>
>>66796048
I've been eating out an Oscar nominated/winning screenwriter regurlarly for the past few months and she says that at this point she can basically call the right people to get my movies produced no matter how shit their respective premises might be.

you'd think this would be a joke, but no
>>
>>66796048
Editing up a 1-2 minute short for class. Spoon Killer.
>>
>>66796048
Great, I'm making an audition tomorrow for a short movie with four friendly afro-american men.
>>
>>66796244
That's actually pretty neat, if true. It really is all about who you blow.
>>
>>66796244
only men write movies...
>>
my film relies on Deakins or Lubezki signing up to shoot

waiting on that phone call any day now
>>
>>66796244
I doubt Diablo Cody has that much power
>>
working on a script to submit to the nicholl's fellowship next month.

after that working on a down and dirty no budget script that i can shoot myself. don't give a fuck if i never make it, i'm just going to keep doing it forever.
>>
>>66796468
Kek
>>
>>66796473
>don't give a fuck if i never make it, i'm just going to keep doing it forever.
I do that too. At some point, though, you have to buckle down and actually shoot the damn thing.
>>
Lost. I failed a subject in my high school finals, i need to finish that, i lost a year to write it, and im not going to any film college or anything, just a normie degree. I dont have a good camera, nor a good laptop to write or type. I have a bad internet connection and im feel like im making excuses and trying to cover up my laziness, but i cant be lazy. I have good imaginations and creativity. i just dont have the utensils to make use of it.
>>
>>66796244
based
>>
>>66796244
probably fake, but really hoping it's true

how many oscar nominated screenwriting cunts are there?
>>
If only I could get in film school...

Anyway, is there some good book/website/youtube channel you recommend for learning about scriptwriting and writing in general?

Oh, and while I'm here, might as well ask you guys if this book is good (I already have it, but is there maybe some better source for editing)?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Technique-Film-Video-Editing/dp/0240813979
>>
>>66797799
just google everything you want to know. and you can already watch any movie you want. there are almost zero pros that come with going to film school.

start watching real movies. read all the books about screenwriting (inb4 BUT I'M A TRUE ARTIST, THEY ARE SNAKE OIL SALESMEN etc). they will give you a foundation of what to at least think about while you're writing.

as far as film equipment, watch FilmRiot videos and other youtube series dedicated to this shit. film school is mindblowingly stupid at this point. everything is readily available online.
>>
Trying to write a script but no such luck.
>>
>>66797980
I guess, actually not just that, there are shittons of resources for other fields like programming, 3D, graphic design as well, but the problem is, in this little shithole of a country where I live it's kinda the only way people get into the industry (which is pretty shitty and small desu).

But yeah, I'm subscribed to a lot of youtube channels, watch one film a day, currently a lot of oldies, (those kino threads senpai...), I have some books I want to read... I'll have to find some good source in screenwriting though, if not for anything else but for me to have fun. I feel like the problem is that I didn't write a lot in my life, I think I should learn some writing fundamentals first. There are those Lynda lessons, maybe something is good, but then again when I watch the course material - I actually know a lot of those things already.
>>
>>66798373
This was factually true since 2009 (Canon 500D). If you haven't directed something yet (like a short film), the problem lies within you.
>>
>>66798373
Where do you live?
>>
>>66798550
Yeah that's true, you can always direct and make a film without film school. Actually I'm studying something else at the moment but I did one short for a video production course, possibly will have to make one more as a part of it, but yeah, that's all for now, just projects I had to do. I really enjoy the course even though I've already learned on the internet a lot of the stuff we do.
>>
>>66799257
I'd rather not say specifically but a third world eastern european country.
>>
>>66799440
>I'd rather not say specifically
Why not?

Anyway, good luck.
>>
>>66799343
Keep going anon, have fun doing it. If you can make a living doing it, that's deity tier.

>>66799440
Film festivals love foreign language stuff, you not in an impossible situation. Make a flick about the holocaust, faggots, or faggots during the holocaust; that will get you some Hollywood attention.
>>
>>66797980
>screenwriting

fuck yourself. the script is the least important thing about a film.
>>
>>66800574

‘With a good script a good director can produce a masterpiece; with the same script a mediocre director can make a passable film. But with a bad script even a good director can’t possibly make a good film. For truly cinematic expression, the camera and the microphone must be able to cross both fire and water. That is what makes a real movie. The script must be something that has the power to do this.’

Guess who said it.
>>
>>66799665
Truth, look at laszlo nemes.
>>
>>66800960
john waters- sounds gay
kidding, sounds extremely familiar- or over-quoted

who?
>>
Shooting a film tomorrow where im run and gunning a red epic.
>>
>>66800574
lmaooooooo
>>
>>66801564
Akira Kurosawa.
>>
>working in pedowood
Top kek
>>
Just started saison 3 of a local music show (video editing)

About to drop episode 1 and get drunk later.
>>
>>66802343
episode 1, that's what the kids are calling acid these days
>>
NYU tisch grad
in master's now at a top10 school (internationally)

can't find a job in entertainment, can't bring myself to apply to non-entertainment jobs

I wanna die.
>>
>>66802440
kek

Here's a (You) buddy
>>
>>66802511
This is why I try to talk people out of going to film school. I have many friends IRL who have been burned and left in debt. I'm sorry m8. Don't let it kill your passion though.
>>
>>66802511
>>66802564
I don't have debt, also my master's is in business/management

but still.
>>
Nolan the hack, R. Rodreguez and many others got their start by saving up about $10k and making their own shit. Is this still viable? I'm about to inherit some money and I'm considering doing the same. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>66802511
Aside from an impressive education what have you actually created?
>>
>>66802688
It is absolutely still viable.
>>
>>66802688
>Nolan the hack, R. Rodreguez and many others got their start by saving up about $10k and making their own shit. Is this still viable?

More than ever. You don't need anywhere near as much as they did because you don't need to shoot on film now, editing and post is easier than ever and you have more potential to reach an audience than ever before.
>>
>>66802774
But because it is easier for everyone to do it and the power of the internet you have to compete with a much bigger number of people, right?
>>
>>66802894
Yes but everything is absolute fucking shit. 99.9% is dog shit. Make something half way competent and you'll be on your way.
>>
Does anybody know any good songs to play over an interview in a documentary? Something lighthearted.
>>
>>66802999
Cuck - Cuck Song
>>
>>66798018
same
feels shit
>>
>>66796244
Tell us the premise of your movie.
>>
>>66802894
You didn't ask if it was easier, it will never be easy, it's the most competitive industry in the world. You asked if it's viable. It is. 99% of the people attempting to create things in this manner however simply do not have talent or anything to say. Perhaps this will give you some confidence, unless you are unwittingly one of those people in which case I would say, work on your networking skills
>>
>>66802731
I'm a good writer. I've written some really good things.

They'll never get made.
>>
>>66802894

this >>66802942

I've seen so many bad shortfilms that were just real bad lynch rip offs. like strange for the sake of being strange without any meaning or depth. also dont be afraid to throw away ideas if they turn out shit. take your time
>>
>you will never find distribution for the Dogme-95 film you finished editing in 2007 after five years of shooting, whose troubled production caused your one true love to leave you before eventually killing herself
>There will never be a good Dogme-95 movie
>>
>>66803142
lmao
>>
>>66803142
Make them yourself, if you're so great.
>>
>>66803089
>>66803159

Still with the insane amount of noise it's gonna get very difficult to get noticed. Keep in mind that thousands of short films are being uploaded every day.
>>
Protip Vancouver is shit for self starters. You will waste time and money appeasing asshole Canadians.
>>
>>66803245
Do you want to do it or not? Yeah, most likely nobody will ever see your short film and give you a trillion dollars. But that shouldn't even be a concern. You either want to make shit or you don't. If the possibility of not being discovered, which is more of a guarantee, is keeping you from committing to doing it then don't even bother.
>>
>>66803245
>Still with the insane amount of noise it's gonna get very difficult to get noticed. Keep in mind that thousands of short films are being uploaded every day.

Don't expect to go from nothing to established film maker just on the back of youtube shorts. It doesn't work like that. It'll just allow you to find an audience, get feedback and hone your craft as you continue to make films.

Stop making excuses or looking for reasons not to try. It isn't gonna get any easier.
>>
>>66803226
financing, producing, directing, editing and getting a short or feature film isn't simple or easy.
>>
File: 1453095695066.png (2 MB, 10000x9441) Image search: [Google]
1453095695066.png
2 MB, 10000x9441
>>66796048
I'm going to SVA for animation.
I have a paid internship.
>>
>>66803336
You just don't care enough.
>>
File: 1426392563820.gif (983 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1426392563820.gif
983 KB, 250x141
>>66796048
>Two film majors I'm friends with on Facebook keep sharing their shit and fishing for uplikes
>One made a shitty short film about some omega talking with a fat SJW about how he's nervous about losing his virginity
>The other shared a page of his script that he's filming, it's an erotic gay romance

Majoring in Industrial Design, Minor in Film, gonna play the long con and become a GOAT propmaster without using Facebook as my blog, and won't ever be attached to a shitty slice of life drama short film like those two losers.
>>
>>66803382
Dude I know how to make short films to come out my ass. That's all we studied in tisch.

finding ~10,000 worth of equipment and maybe 2000 (bare minimum) worth of budget is a pain in the fucking ass and heart-breaking work.

I hedged my bets and got into a great business school, to get into production at the office level(development, that sorta thing) and still the most common thing I hear is "hurr start as a PA/runner".

I interned my ass off while at NYU too, for 0.00 in salary and much more in costs. It's not like it's rigged against me, I'm not complaining... I don't regret enrolling in my business degree either but I'm feeling like I fucked up somehow and I don't know where.
>>
>>66803507
>finding ~10,000 worth of equipment and maybe 2000 (bare minimum) worth of budget is a pain in the fucking ass and heart-breaking work.

So do it cheaply or write a story you can do cheaply. Why focus on the stories you have which are currently outside your ability to make?

There's a reason you're not working in the entertainment indsutry and that's because a fancy education means shit if you can't show yourself to be capable of making something on your own accord

Watch that keynote speech from SXSW from Duplass. The cavalry ain't coming. Make it yourself or find work in another field or join academia.
>>
>>66803507
What do you honestly need that $2000 for? You can Jerry rig a lighting setup for insanely cheap. You can get usable sound with a boom and a zoom. If you don't want to buy a cheaper camera, rent a high end one for a few days. You don't need to pay for film, locations, actors... What's stopping you from making something starring you and your buddies for like $5 bucks?
>>
I made this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0pP66O9VN0
>>
>>66803690

Because your buddies have lives and you won't be able to bother them every day for your convenience.

Your best bet is to get into documentaries to be taken half seriously.
>>
>>66803648
Lazy answer: I don't have time. Doing my master's now, like I said.

Not-so-lazy answer: I don't want to be a director, I don't want to be a particularly active writer either. I really want to get into development/production - I have no idea how to break into it.

>>66803690
I've produced and worked on a decent number of short films dude. It's not that easy. Let's say we rent everything (incl. locations, trucks, insurance) the cast and crew still have to be fed, some will have to be paid (depending on unions, etc.) and costs will ramp up.

I've always paid my crews, even if it's little bits, because people who "work" for free are generally not dedicated and lose morale really quickly. Even 50-100$ a day perks them up.

Not everyone can be a sound mixer, not everyone can rig, much less gaf, etc. It's just a lot of work and at my age (mid-20s) all my buddies and friends have work-work and obligations, as do I.

Yknow?
>>
>>66803873
You're an NYU graduate. Go back there, speak to some of your old professors and get some recommendations for kids who are talented and hardworking and looking to build up their CV. They will work for free provided you feed them. You don't need $2k for that.
>>
>>66803878
It sounds like you're pretty shitty at making movies.
>>
>>66803873
>>66803878
I don't know what to tell you guys. I'm a socially inept, borderline autistic NEET and I've made two short films already this year and am working on a new script to submit to Nicholl's. If you can't get your friends to act, which I've had trouble with too, you can find actors that will work for free or in exchange for a demo reel or something. There really are no excuses, you're the only ones holding yourselves back.
>>
>>66796244
Post name or bullshit
>>
>>66803945
>>66803909
I'm not particularly shitty at making movies. But I think you guys are missing my point: I want an entry-level/junior job at some office that is in entertainment.

I wanna be a decent "suit" and help make good movies for directors who wanna be directors.

But there are no real ways to get in other than some arcane ritual known as "connections". And as many connections as you can have, it still happens arbitrarily.
>>
>>66804049
It sounds like you're pretty shitty at everything
>>
>>66803995

The only actors I can get a hold of are underage from a local youth club, because most of my friends have moved away and have families or doing drugs. Making teenage drama in the middle of the winter isn't my thing, plus I'm sure the girls will get creeped out fast.
>>
>>66804179
Except making excuses. He seems pretty adept at that.
>>
>>66803841
only 10mins in & besides from looking kinda shitty its not as bad as I expected. the shaky cam kinda annoys me a bit, shouldve put it on a tripod more often
>>
I didn't go to film school, I went to live.
>>
>>66804179
I guess it does.

>>66804224
>studying a full-time master's at a top-tier school
>nyu tisch
>internship experience
>international work experience
>good CV, good cover letter
>not even a reply to my emails/calls
>industry insiders I talk to all say "start at the bottom bro, start as a PA/runner ;)"

frustrating, senpai. higher education is a racket.
>>
>>66804332
I'm sorry that you made such a shitty life for yourself
>>
>>66804332
>industry insiders I talk to all say "start at the bottom bro, start as a PA/runner ;)"

So why don't you try that? Too good for it because of your overpriced education?
>>
>>66804385
I'm just here venting and shittposting.

I lurk the /swg/ sometimes and give advice, I'm not usually a bitter person. Got rejected from the BBC recently, and had an awful "drinks" experience with a hotshot producer-type from LA recently. Feeling bitter about my chances in entertainment.

I can get a job in other industries, advertisement or marketing especially, but I'd have sold out without even trying - yknow?
>>
>>66804422
Already did it, a lot, and for free. I want to work in an office, I'll resort to running if I have to but it's really not conducive to anything that uses my skills or whatever talent I may have.

Anyway I'm sure I've come across as a righteous whiny prick all thread. I swear I'm not.
>>
I've directed the two highest grossing films of all time so it's going pretty well.
>>
Sounds like somebody fell for the film school meme.

It leads to nothing. It teaches you nothing. You're still expected to start at the bottom just like everybody else.

Pro tip: don't go to film school
>>
>>66804593
I learned quite a bit but yeah, you're pretty much right.

I guess if it ever proves its worth it will be much later, to help promotions rather than help me get in. Same with the business degree I guess.
>>
I intern at a production office headed by an big name in indie film.
>>
>>66797980

the thing about film school is it lets you network and make contacts and shit with people you probably wouldn't be able to if you weren't a student

talk to teachers and people you colaborate on projects with, use the expierence and connectoins to get an internship, end up working for a production company, that's what i did
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.