[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHAT WENT WONG? u cheeky minger
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: Robocop-2014-Main-Review[1].jpg (387 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Robocop-2014-Main-Review[1].jpg
387 KB, 1920x1080
WHAT WENT WONG?

u cheeky minger
>>
..I actually really liked it.
>>
>>66790838

Executive meddling, forced PG-13, stupid family drama, weak/forgettable antagonists.

What a waste of Gary Oldman.
>>
>>66790838
>WHAT WENT WONG?

Nothing. It's the best science fiction movie of the decade because it is one of the most daring and though-provoking ones.
>>
>>66790838
The original is a perfect movie.
>>
>>66790838
It lacked all the political comment of the original.
>>
I got some mad feels when he started screaming when he saw there was basically nothing left of his body when the machinery was removed and wanted to die.

Got me thinking, if that was you, would you want to die knowing you're no longer human, or would you feel like you've been given this chance to become the ultimate police officer and help people?
>>
>>66790838
Its entirely unecessary, joyless, and souless remake.
>>
>>66790838

It was made by Sony Pictures / Columbia / Tristar

The worst movie studio in the history of movie studios.
>>
>>66790863

I enjoyed it but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if they kept the original suit he had and not made it look like flimsy sheet metal with a black paint job. The original suit at least looks durable and is a throwback to the original movie. FUCK.
>>
>>66790940

I'd feel like holy shit I still had my dick you assholes, what'd you do with it?
>>
>>66790973
Did you even understand the movie?
>>
>>66790911
>It lacked all the political comment of the original.

Did you watch the movie in Swahili? The movie starts outright with the vision of an American occupied Iran.
>>
>>66790940
I imagine it would be a most ghastly existence.
Could you even feel anything? It would be like your entire body is a phantom memory
I would probably want to die
>>
>>66790838
It is shit and generally despised, so I guess /tv/ likes it
>>
>>66791153
Yeah it would suck but you have this chance to live a life of suffering for the good of others. You'd be a like a living martyr.
>>
>>66791184
yeah, pretty much. They will say, it is just a meme to hate it
>>
>>66790911
oh yeah, you mean stupid liberal sarcasm like >muh police
>muh security
>muh reagan

that remake was good because it took another direction, with some GOAT scenes like the dancing one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSy_f6rWzo
>>
>>66790940
>Got me thinking, if that was you, would you want to die knowing you're no longer human, or would you feel like you've been given this chance to become the ultimate police officer and help people?

It is what makes the interaction with the family important to the story. Alex has to be convinced from the outside about his continuing existence as person and the struggle for him is projected on how to confront his family. It's a reverse treatment of the original movie in which Alex became slowly human again. In the remake it is Alex dissolving by himself and of course by the technology connecting him to the vastness of the net.

The prospect of ending up like him is frightening because it's a direct attack on our identity and as John Carpenter has commented this is one of the greatest themes for horror.
>>
>>66790838
nostalgia reboots: the same thing you liked from the original but a bit different and less with a new thing that sucks
>>
>>66791382
Why did they leave him one human hand?
>>
>>66791043

Did you?
>>
It does nothing the entire movie. It's pointless. It just exists. It's not terrible, but it's not memorable. It just is. And that's the worst thing it could be.
>>
>>66791571
It was Dr. Norton's idea and he explains it to Alex with the anecdote about what his father told him.
>>
>>66790838
he looks like griffith
>>
>>66791571

Plot reasons, America won't allow drones to operate on US soil, Robocop having a human hand is a loophole since a human is making the decisions and executing them with flesh and blood.
>>
>>66790838

The only good thing about old Robocop was the violence, they removed that from this version, so you are left with shit
>>
>>66790863
Same, it was a better Cyberpunk movie than the original. The original was a better action movie. The reboot was nowhere near as generic as the trailers would have you expect. I liked the further exploration of the man in the machine theme, corporate control, modern day commentary on the U.S.'s involvement with the middle east. It was actually really intellectual and that made up for the lack of gratuitous violence.
>>
>>66791937
Then he'd have a big robo-D, wouldn't he?
>>
>>66790838
making a family drama out of an over the top action satire franchise

it had some nice ideas and updated satire for current times but they didn't do shit with it other than being winks
>>
File: JUST.jpg (53 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
53 KB, 1280x536
>>66790838
>original movie's appeal
>there's nothing left
>>
>>66791937
>femto*
Reminder that Griffith did nothing wrong
>>
>>66790838
I liked
>>
>>66790838
This remake really wasn't bad, but the original is a fucking classic that's almost impossible to follow up.
>>
>>66791945
This is nowhere in the film. Why are people still repeating this?
>>
>>66792849
>It was actually really intellectual
This is the stupidest shit I've ever read.
>>
>>66795387
it's mentioned several times, that the man in the machine has to be the one making decision. human hands holds the gun with live ammo, robo arm holds the stun gun.
>>
>>66790972
Columbia produced Taxi Driver.
>>
>>66795598
No it isn't. There is absolutely nothing suggesting that their is a US law that can be bypassed by leaving a human hand on a cyborg. What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>66790838
i enjoyed it...apart from the bit where hes shown all thats left of his body, fuck man that grossed me out...body horror or what....not much gives me the jitters but if i woke up in that state being kept artificially alive id snap for sure
>>
>unnecessary reboot
>pg 13

It was trash from the get go
>>
>>66795428
leave the kid alone. He's at least thinking and feeling good about it.
>>
Better than the original. I thought the original was really disturbing when I was a kid but it has aged horribly. Same unintentional comedy as everything else made in the 70s/80s.
>>
>>66791384
the biggest issue i have is the remote shutdown ocp has....if they decide at any time they dont want you doing something they can switch you off.....as for being a super human robot...i could just about live with that....id miss fapping i guess but fuck id be busting smack dealer skulls for kicks so i could get by
>>
>>66795795
that was the best scene in the movie.. thanks for the reminder
>>
>>66796104
>unintentional comedy
So you've never seen a Verhoeven movie before or something?
>>
>>66796110
i like the bit where he overcame his programming and shot supermans dad
>>
File: robbertcop.jpg (455 KB, 1428x1008) Image search: [Google]
robbertcop.jpg
455 KB, 1428x1008
if he'd kept the silver armour for the whole movie it wouldnt have been so shit

anyone remember this?
>>
>>66794975
>This remake really wasn't bad
What did it do to justify its own existence?
>>
>>66796168
Why the fuck is the Robocop suit silver glitter rather than blue?
>>
>>66795387
The part about a human hand pulling the trigger was in the preview and was probably cut from the movie for reasons.
>>
Whats worse a completely shit remake you can beat around and laugh about, or a run of the mill average film like this?
>>
>>66790838
not as fun
>>
>>66796388
No, it wasn't in the preview. It was a fan theory before the film released. Moreover, he constantly uses both hands to shoot shit. There is nothing in the film to explain why he still has a human hand.
>>
>>66796558
>it wasn't in the preview.
>>66796558
Berenstein bears dude.
>>
>>66796664
What?
>>
>>66796664
>>66796558
>>66796388
>>66795387
>>66795598
>>66795672

The fuck is this?

https://youtu.be/M7_vrhrToUI
>>
>>66790838
I'm about to watch the first Robocop for the first time
what should I know?
>>
>>66796990

I'd buy that for a dollar
>>
I really dont understand the hate that reboots get, fair enough if theyre just plain shit but theres some great films from past decades that can be refreshed with modern cinematography, maybe not improved on, probably nothing completely original added to the story but they can be good. I like the robocop reboot, i like the dark knight, i even enjoyed the first of the star trek reboots (fuck into darkness tho). Didnt enjoy man of steel so much and ive got nothing but bad feelings about ghostbusters. But didnt you ever see an old film and think, wow imagine if they did that with todays techniques!
>>
>>66796836
So nothing at all about drones or US law. Gotcha.
>>
>>66797291

Well there is some stuff that works in context with it, The reason for the hand apart from >>66796836 could get grouped along with the brain, here's dalogue straight from the script.

>"I asked what do these machines feel? If one of them killed a child, what would it feel? Nothing. And that's the problem.
That's why 72% of Americans will not stand for a robot pulling the trigger."

>"Sir, I have dissected this bill.There are no loopholes.We can't put a machine on the streets."

>"Forget machines.You saw the polls.Americans don't want a machine.They want a product with a conscience.They wantsomething that knows what it feels like to be human.We're gonna put a maninside a machine."

>"You're not you because of your legs, your arms, your hands. You're you because of your brain.It's your brain's capacity to process
information that makes you who you are."

>"Alex makes his own decisions.Now, when he engages in battle,the visor comes down and the software takes over. Then the machine does everything. Alex is a passenger,just along for the ride."

>"But if the machine is in control,then how is Murphy accountable?Who's pulling the trigger?"

>"Well, when the machine fights,the system releases signals into Alex's brain making him think he's doing what our computers are actually doing.I mean, Alex believes right now he is in control.But he's not. It's the illusion of free will."

>"Crap! So you've circumvented the law by creatinga machine that thinks it's a man.But that's illegal."

>"No. No, no, no. It's a machine that thinks it's Alex Murphy.And in my book that's legal."

I forgot ho scummy Oldman was in this movie.
>>
>>66797338
All of these are in reference to Murphy's brain. Only if you take "pulling the trigger" extremely literally can this be construed as the reason for leaving his human hand intact.
>>
>>66790887
Dredd is a better "dude in a metal box shooting thugs" flick
I still liked it though
>>
>>66796168
I remember that image, and yes, if he'd kept the first version of the armour it would have looked better and been easier to see as robocop. I think the tactical comment did a decent job of explaining it away, it's just a shame that was the closest we got to satire.

>>66790838
What went wrong is that nobody involved made a movie they were happy with. Along with the Total Recall remake it is the perfect example of a doing it for the paycheck movie. They're not bad enough to be called bad but only the bare minimum amount of effort is put in to stop them falling that short. The difference is that the director of this movie was a fan of Robocop and wanted to make a good movie only to have every suggestion and idea shot down by the studio. Imagine working on a film for months knowing you have no creative imput and was hired just to make sure whatever the suits demanded happened.

Total Recall was a no effort cash grab where you forget almost everything as soon as the movie finishes. Robocop is more painful because, like The Thing prequel, there's a good movie hidden in there that was completely fucked over by the studio.
>>
>>66796990
You're in for a lot of fun. The entire trilogy is pretty good. I even have 2 of the straight to tv movies that are decent. How the fuck have you not seen Robocop before?
>>
>>66797504

That's what I said tho
>>
>>66790947

This is pretty much it exactly, same with the Poltergeist remake.
>>
The reboot really isn't bad. It just lacks the R violence and the witty satire from the original movie's writer, Edward Neumeier.
>>
>>66790838
Oh wait is that Conway?
That's where i've seen him before
>>
File: Guts'_Enraged.jpg (146 KB, 778x881) Image search: [Google]
Guts'_Enraged.jpg
146 KB, 778x881
>>66790838
GRIFFITH!
>>
File: 1453477400442.png (48 KB, 400x389) Image search: [Google]
1453477400442.png
48 KB, 400x389
>hire José Padilha and tell internet marketers to pretend it will be as good as Tropa de Elite
>don't let him do anything, film is 100% PG13 product from fucktarded Sony Pictures heads
>>
>>66799219
>robocop 3
>good
what are you smoking?
>>
>>66790838

how did you make a thread without a picture, OP?
>>
>>66800803
It was watered down and clearly going for toy sales but if you're saying it wasn't fun as fuck I can't trust you. Those shitty ninja robots. I laughed so much.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.