[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it really that shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: hail-caesar-quad.jpg (157 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
hail-caesar-quad.jpg
157 KB, 1280x960
Was it really that shit?
>>
I laughed a few times but couldn't follow the plot at all.
>>
>>66755258
No. And it didn't flop, I don't know why people keep saying that. It made 40 mil on a 22 mil budget. Pretty good.
>>
It's devastatingly good. But it's no "Leaving Las Vegas".
>>
>>66755258
no i thought it was really funny and good
>>
I thought it was quite silly. How is he supposed to jump from one chariot to another going at full speed?
>>
>>66755258
some great scenes to be sure, but the whole felt like less than the sum of its parts. it almost felt like the pilot to a tv show that will never be made. too many characters, too little overall direction. still would recommend, though.
>>
literally zero redeeming features.

no plot, no unforced non reddit humour, no memorable or likeable characters, no discernible interesting meaning, shit dialogue
>>
Okay, thanks everyone, I'll see Deadpool instead
>>
>>66755739
>I'll see Deadpool instead
I'm shaking with rage at the thought of someone looking at the poster of Hail Caesar and then looking at the poster of Memepool and going with the latter.
>>
>>66755778
>judging a movie by its poster

s m h very hard
>>
>>66755778
I've seen both and I would tell people to see Deadpool over Hail, Caeser!.
>>
>>66755914
>and I would tell people to see Deadpool over Hail, Caeser!.
then you're just an idiot who believes cinema should be more like your video games. disregarded.
>>
>>66755258
It was just a decent cohen bros movie that came out after a string of critical darlings, it's only worse by comparison, I mean they're following an intimate character drama like Lewyn Davis with a quirky showbiz comedy, that's just how they do.
>>
>>66755949
Lou N. Davis was tight tight tight
>>
>>66755949
memer davis is utter shit
>>
>>66755778
I think Hail Caesar was already out of theaters by the time Deadpool came out desu
>>
>>66755258
Would that it were so simple.
>>
>>66755258
no, it was really good
absolute dumbasses like this>>66755286
are why we cant have nice things
>>
It was absolutely excellent but everyone else in the cinema hated it. I heard so many groups complaining about it on my way out, and the group I went with was split.

It's probably my favourite Coen brothers movie though, and I'm going to see it again tomorrow.

I really want to work on an analysis/unpacking of it to defend against the criticism that it's "scattered" or "disjointed" without a reason for that being the case.
>>
Overall it was good and there were some really funny scenes, the plot didn't really go anywhere. The ScarJo storyline felt completely disconnected from everything else.
>>
>>66757662
>unpacking

i literally hope you crash your car on the way to the theater
>>
>>66755661
About halfway through I was feeling like it was really scattered and disjointed. All these characters. All these little stories. But they are just backdrop for Eddie Mannix's crisis of faith. Does he remain with teh studio, trying to herd this disjointed pack of perverts and lunatics in the name of making uplifting movies, or take the military job? Shepherd in salvation or hold back the apocalypse.
>>
>>66757932
Why?
>>
>>66757932
lol seriously what a fucking cunt
>>
Its a pleb filter movie. Play a game of Find The Pleb in this thread.

There's one seven posts below OP. I see you up there, pleb.
>>
>>66759649
>he's gone the contrarian 'shit films are good, you just don't get them, i have no reasons to like it but I sure am unique and brave by liking them..right..? xD' route

s
m
h
>>
It would have done a lot better with a laugh track so people would know what the jokes were supposed to be.
>>
File: HC6-e1454656930139.jpg (50 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
HC6-e1454656930139.jpg
50 KB, 650x366
Hobie was such a qt in this, look him up in real life he's average
>>
>>66760076
There's often not a strict division between "jokes" and "not jokes" in this movie.
>>
>>66759975
>the soundtrack
>Coen Tier cinematography
>good characters
>dat final scene
>comfy
>>
>>66760338
So you're saying [spoilers] it's complicated [/spoilers]?
>>
>>66760464
Yeah!
One of the lines I thought was funniest was when the communist writers talked about the townhall lynching scene they'd written into one film and said "I like to think we changed a couple of minds with that one!"

Not strictly a joke though...
>>
>>66755457
kek

>>66757662
>I really want to work on an analysis/unpacking of it to defend against the criticism that it's "scattered" or "disjointed" without a reason for that being the case.

O right on, dude. I'd suggest reading its review on Roger Ebert's website (it has some interesting insight) and, on the "scattered"/"disjointed" business, reading the chapter on cinematic rhythm in Sculpting in Time.

I wanted to do the same with a few films, but never got around to seeing the films a second time. Good luck.
>>
>>66760338
That's a staple in most Coen Brothers movies
The joke is both the delivery and the punch line. In many cases the delivery IS the punch line. It's surreal humor.
>>
>>66757662
Also, on your second viewing, I'd suggest studying what the film says about individual morality and a man's need for significance (And this may or may not have something to do with what Marx said about the "prole needing ___(something, responsibility, maybe)__"---I wouldn't know, though; I've never been compelled to read his work.)
>>
>>66761094
>>66761265
Interesting, thankyou.

I think the main angle I want to pursue is to argue that the films within the film are modernist works in that they feel able to reapropriate events of the past, Rome, the Wild West etc, and distill them through a 1950s lens.

By presenting them in the 1950s context (colour pallette, aspect ratio etc,) as opposed to the present day context, the film takes the postmodernist leap in that the past is presented as part of a plurality of truths.

And of course then the film decides to start showing the 1950s in the context of movies of the 1950s, with the colour pallette for the night submarine scene I'm sure being enhanced, Hail Caesar sharing a narrator with "Hail Caesar", and so on.

But I need to watch it again and I'm not 100% sure on this.
>>
>>66757535
Would dat da twirl so simple
>>
>>66761529
I'm not quite sure I follow. Would you explain what you mean by this?
>the films within the film are modernist works in that they feel able to reapropriate events of the past

I have an understanding of modernism, but I can't make heads or tails of whatcha mean.

>and so on
;)
>>
File: abortion.jpg (146 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
abortion.jpg
146 KB, 736x552
>>66755258
anything with Jonah Hill in it is an abortion
(btw Hill's image in that poster has been heavily airbrushed)
>>
>>66762406
>don't get my rolls. Or my pimples. Or my shaving scars. Or my Subway bib.
>>
>>66757932
>>66761094
What's wrong with someone analysing something and making an informed critique on it based on their perspective? I say go for it anon, we need more dissenting (but informed) opinions floating around, that's the lifeblood of film study and criticism.
>>
There were a lot of interesting things under the surface like the dichotomy between the bumbling armchair communists and Josh Brolin's hero of capitalism and man of action. It just failed to surface through the barrage of references 90% of people didn't get.
>>
>>66757662
what a delusional little faggot you are
it is on the same level as lady killers
unpack yourself a length of rope and a sturdy beam instead
>>
>>66761265
>you should take note of the parallels between the themes present within the film and the work of marx
>not that i have ever read marx nor do i know what it is im talking about
this level of pretension is quite astounding
>>
>>66762406
he's in the movie for less than a minute you autist
>>
>>66755304

It's a flop, dumbass.

40 mil on a 22 mil budget is SHIT in Hollywood

Factor in that they spent 18 mil to market and half the BO goes to the theaters and you see the movie LOST like $20 mil.
>>
>>66764173
has to make 1.4 of budget to be considered a success
thats after the myriad of other expenses including the main ones youve listed
it may very well flop
>>
>>66764173
fuck off faggot.
>>
>>66764173
No, that's far above average dumbass
>>
File: le newspaper grandpa.jpg (763 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
le newspaper grandpa.jpg
763 KB, 1280x850
>yfw you realized Mannix was literally Jesus, bearing the sins of the actors
>>
File: 1457214086423.jpg (59 KB, 720x533) Image search: [Google]
1457214086423.jpg
59 KB, 720x533
>>66755778
Huge coen fan, and it pains me so hard to say this, but as shit as deadpool is its still mildly entraining, I chuckled twice. Caesar is neither funny nor exactly interesting.
>>
>>66766818

And Scarlett was Mary with her fatherless son who eventually marries Joseph.

And Tatum descends to the communist paradise leaving behind his 12 apostles.
>>
>>66766995
And the Lockheed guy was Satan, trying to seduce Mannix with the Armageddon
>>
>>66767155
Even better: trying to seduce Mannix at a japanese restaurant with a nuclear bomb.
>>
>>66767832
It was a Chinese restaurant though
>>
>>66767993
Asian-american, please.
>>
This movie was boring garbage. The only funny thing was the scene with the director trying to get the cowboy to saw the line right and that was dragged out. Having jonah/Scarlet on the poster was just a desperate attempt to get people to watch it.
>>
Can we agree that the score was way better than what you'd expect in a period comedy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rXT8YiZhU&index=3&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tax3z5R3NLg&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A312Bnf0DdA&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=22
>>
>>66766968
You are not a huge Coen fan
>>
>>66768021
Top fucking kek
>>
>>66755286
couldnt follow the plot? It was the most striaght forward plot imaginable
>>
File: 1405102071238.png (82 KB, 301x288) Image search: [Google]
1405102071238.png
82 KB, 301x288
>>66769439
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.