[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything as simultaneously unsettling and hilarious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: RodneyNBK.jpg (80 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
RodneyNBK.jpg
80 KB, 600x400
Is there anything as simultaneously unsettling and hilarious as Rodney Dangerfield's role in Natural Born Killers?
>>
>>66732500

Yeah that was a truly bizarre sequence.
>>
Nothing I can think of. He stole the show. I would have much-preferred to see the entire film about Mallory's family, instead of the bloated shitfest that it turned out to be.
>>
>You watch ya language..or I'll kick the shit out of ya..like I do her

Gives me chills.
>>
at least post it and yes god damn is it unsettling and hilarious rodney dangerfield always played the good guy, the you see him in this way and holy shit it's really fucked up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nq10HXpyzg
>>
File: naturalbornkillers720sinv5.jpg (433 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
naturalbornkillers720sinv5.jpg
433 KB, 1280x720
Don't think... you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>66732737
The point is its fucking made up and the prosaic lynching of the american father figure is a cheap justification for wanton slaughter and violent hedonism.
>>
>>66732500

I really like Oliver Stone's mushroom-trip movies. This, The Doors, JFK to some extent, even U-Turn. They're all stupid and hilariously misguided on some level (JFK really is great though) but the style of them is just unlike anything else I've seen. I really miss the days when major studios would give multi-million-dollar budgets to crazy people and just let them do whatever the fuck. Even though he misses the mark more often than he hits it, shit like this is still more interesting to watch than fucking Jurassic World or Fant4stic 4our
>>
>>66732500
It actually ruined how I feel about Rodney...
>>
>>66732500
I love when she drowns him in the fish tank.
>>
File: NBK8 - dramatic reenactment.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
NBK8 - dramatic reenactment.webm
2 MB, 800x450
>>
>>66734310

Say what you will about them, but Tarantino, Aronofsky, two unrelated Andersons and two related Coens still get weird personal projects played in major theaters
>>
>>66734325
It's a role, I can separate a fictional role more easily than terrible shit people do in real life.
>>
>>66734310
How is JFK like a psychedelic pipe dream? Its almost a by the numbers procedural crime drama.

You know that trial in Louisiana actually took place, right?
>>
>>66734764
not him, and true story or not, the direction and editing of many sequences in JFK liberally used different film types, styles and techniques, like NBK and The Doors do to greater extent.

JFK is one of my favorite movies by the way.
>>
KILL DA FUCKEN INDIAN
>>
>>66735514
WHAT AM I WATCHIN HERE TWO FUCKIN FAGS
>>
>>66734198
The sequence is played as a sitcom because the character is using that framing to distance herself from her experiences. The same type of disassociation that allows her to slaughter wantonly.
>>
it's great acting from rodney desu
>>
>>66735557
SEE HOW CLEAN Y'ARE...
>>
>>66735616
DIS FUCKIN FOOD HERE YOU PRAY AFTER YOU EAT
>>
>>66735602
You could read it both ways, but in my view the point was that the perverse rationalization of malevolent behavior is normalized by the psyche of people like mallory. Patriarchal rape is the reason she burned her parents alive and loved to murder and degrade people, because violence and the violation of a person's dignity is wholesome and quintessential to her americana.
>>
WE'RE ALL GONNA GET LAID
>>
>>66734310
this movie is really weird, i only saw it after i drank a lot of cough syrup and i'm afraid it won't be as good if i watch it again
>>
>>66735651
YOU'D STILL BE SLINGIN HASH IN THAT SHITHOUSE AND FUCKIN YER BOSS
>>
>>66735707
... yea, mallory never says "I'm a murderer because my father was a shithead," the characters never at any point make any excuse for their actions, as they never, at any point, reflect upon their actions, thus they never feel anything resembling guilt for their actions.

The idea it's presenting is the type of emotional disconnection necessary for kids to cope with being regularly molested/raped is the same type of emotional disconnection soldiers employ to take human life.

The entire idea behind the characters is they aren't doing it for revenge or fame, but simply because they can.

But hey, if you want to stick to your simplified, surface level interpretation, more power to ya.
>>
>>66734764

I was out of the thread for a while, but like the other poster said, I was talking about the visual style of the movie. I said "to some extent" because it doesn't match the tone of the others, but it still uses a lot of the same psychedelic free-form filmmaking techniques of the other movies he was making around that time.
>>
>>66735913
for example, many flashback sequences are made to resemble the Zapruder film.

My favorite sequence is the Donald Sutherland as Mr. X part.
>>
File: NBK15 - riot.webm (2 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
NBK15 - riot.webm
2 MB, 1000x563
pure kino
>>
tommy lee jones was funny in it, I don't even know if he was credited..
>>
>>66735952

And just the whole momentum built up by the pacing and editing, he really expressed the paranoia and kind of frustrated urgency that surrounds a case like this. It really is Oliver Stone's best film by far, and one of the best investigative dramas ever made
>>
>>66734414
Interesting you bring up two directors who found their footing in the 90's. Aronofsky came later but his films are pretty empty; they fit well within a subgenre of indiewood, which thrives on provocation and misery.

Studios these days seem to stick to filmmakers and film ideas with established success.
>>
For different reasons, but I'd say Dwight Yokam in Slingblade. He's a psychotic asshole but also 100% pure comedy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.