[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finally saw Dr. Strangelove. I'd been told it was an uproarious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: dr. strangelove.jpg (30 KB, 300x478) Image search: [Google]
dr. strangelove.jpg
30 KB, 300x478
I finally saw Dr. Strangelove. I'd been told it was an uproarious comedy, but I just saw a good drama with appropriate amounts of comic relief, like my favorite Kubrick film, The Shining. Either the comedy-drama dichotomy is fundamentally flawed, or I'm cinematically tone deaf.
>>
>>66727569
It's not laugh out loud funny. It's "oh, I'm so clever for getting this" funny.
>>
The jokes are subtle and most of them have been reused as homages.
>>
Same here.
>>
>>66727618
I thought that some of it was laugh out loud funny
>>
>he didnt watch the pie fight ending
>>
>>66727618
From my perspective, every now and then something totally silly would happen to lighten the mood, but the film was, overall, a very tense war drama. I think it's telling that the film's silliest scene, where a former Nazi literally loses control of his ability to not praise Hitler, comes right before the sequence where all life on Earth is eradicated. Are you saying there were more jokes that I was simply not smart enough to get? Because it seemed to me like there was one joke every scene or two.
>>
>>66727655
>>66727618
I find a lot of it laugh out loud funny
>>
>>66727569
It wasn't a drama, it was a pure comedy.
>>
>>66727618
but thats my favorite kind of funny
>>
>>66727655
>>66727691
What stuff did you guys laugh at? I laughed at the payphone/Coca-Cola scene, the bit where Dr. Strangelove is cured of his disability by his love for Hitler, and a good chunk of the general's insane ramblings about fluidity and fluoride.
>>
>>66727618
Literally a pleb. Don't bother watching anything by Chris Morris either.
>>
>>66727727
Then why were there long stretches where they just discussed the fate of humanity without any jokes? When the doomsday device was explained, for example.
>>
>>66727655
>>66727691
I was just kidding, but I don't laugh out loud that much while watching it.
>>66727689
The humor is more in its absurdity than straight jokes and punchlines. There was a serious film made of the same novel if you're interested in the premise being taken at face value.
>>
>>66727689
It was alot of dry humor. You didn't notice how everyone was acting buffoonish when the nuclear clock was at 11:59:59? They were acting as if it weren't even going to happen. All of the dialogue was very humorous.

>>66727770
this
>>
>>66727795
I laugh out loud quite a bit at Chris Morris. His stuff is much funnier than Dr. Strangelove, but Dr. Strangelove has other points in its favor which make it timeless.
>>
Let this die.
>>
FACT: Kubrick's funniest film is Barry Lyndon
>>
>>66727770
>bucky's accidental endorsements of annihilation
>Mandrake's acclerating neurotic breakdown
>nuclear apocalypse motivated entirely by memes (muh flouride)
>"Dimitri...."
All of it sempai.
>>
This film honestly has something humourous happening nearly every minute, it just depends how you take it.
>>
>>66727848
>"THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE!!!" :cue booming thunder and lightning strobe effect:

You didn't feel how campy that scene is?
>>
The vast majority of the movie is absurdist satire. I don't really understand how you can see it as a regular drama with some comic relief.
>>
>>66728251
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvszMXYNeU

Pure comedy
>>
>>66727569
>tone deaf
Yes, not evening throwing shade. I imagine it could go over some heads. That's fine. It's a darkly comical bit of political satire. Not meant to be dramatic in the slightest. I hope if you should see it again, you see it in the context of the time it satirizes. Hope you enjoy it more/get more out of it then. Also, The Shining's one of my favorite Kubrick films too.
>>
>>66727848
Not to get all film 101 student but you have to appreciate to some degree the zeitgeist of the time it was released
There was this nervous air around the world for fear that there really could be total nuclear annihilation that no one in their homes spoke of, but almost everyone thought about at one point or another

By bringing that topic right out into the light and presenting it in the way it did (turns out the setting off of the end of the world was just because some dumbasses were doing various shitty jobs or too busy trying to get in the pants of someone) it acted a lot as a sort of mass-scale schadenfreude at the entire situation of the Cold War and the absurdity that man could be so petty and yet have such huge consequences for their actions. It was a gasping laugh of relief that someone was basically saying, through the medium of film, 'yes, don't worry, you aren't the only one who sees how mornonic this whole situation is'.

I dunno there are better ways to explain it but if you can get in that mindset it really enriches the humor in places that you may have thought were supposed to be taken seriously
>>
>>66727865
>The humor is more in its absurdity than straight jokes and punchlines.
Nothing in this story was absurd, though. It all seemed very plausible.

>>66727874
>They were acting as if it weren't even going to happen.

>this
Hah, that was my post.

>>66728303
>Mandrake's acclerating neurotic breakdown
Well, that is what happens on doomsday.
>nuclear apocalypse motivated entirely by memes (muh flouride)
Yeah, that was funny, and also justified by the story, which makes it the best kind of humor. The general needed to go absolutely cuckoo, and his insane ramblings were funny, as insane ramblings often are.

>>66728405
The Big Short did stuff like that too, but it was considered a drama and nominated for Best Picture.

>>66728496
Maybe at one point in time stuff like this wasn't considered plausible, but it's [THE CURRENT YEAR] I consider it totally plausible for someone unstable to get their hands on a nuclear arsenal. The film's explanation of it was also appropriately detailed.
>>
>>66728695
>Nothing in this story was absurd
>bodily fluids
>>
>>66728856
That wasn't a part of the story. That was part of an insane man's ramblings. It was funny, but I meant, like, plot details. The plot itself seemed pretty realistic.
>>
>>66729184
Okay, so? That doesn't mean that the film doesn't play up the absurdity of it all every chance it gets. Even the "serious" parts are tongue in cheek.

It seems you have problems understanding comedy if it's not calling attention to itself with a big red arrow, or if it blends aspects of realism into its mix, instead of constant gags and spoofs like Airplane.

I can't think of a single scene in Dr. Strangelove that is actually completely serious.
>>
>>66728549
;-;

now I have to watch this again
>>
>>66729184
The nature of a political military condition like that is itself absurd, that's the point. How is the bureaucracy built to 'fail-safe' our nuclear arsenal being directly responsible for causing nuclear Armageddon not absurd?
>>
File: 1456477293564.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1456477293564.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>66727569
It depends on how much you like dark humor tbqh.
>>
>>66729583
It's ironic, but not absurd.
>>
>>66729370
>I can't think of a single scene in Dr. Strangelove that is actually completely serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231TmvIPzQQ
>>
>>66729732
It absolutely is absurd. An arsenal that can destroy humanity itself growing every year according to the logic that the bigger it gets, the safer we all are, while diluting responsibility for the ultimate destruction of mankind is justified according to the 'severity' of the decision.

Moral displacement and exponentially diminishing margin of error are the methods for increasing stability and improved culpability befitting the gravity of the action?

When does something become absurd in your mind?
>>
>>66728303
>bucky's accidental endorsements of annihilation
I liked that too. Even if he knows bombing Russia is a bad idea, he really wants to.
>>
>>66729830
Are you trolling?
>>
>>66728695
Do you even know what absurdism is?
protip: you don't
>>
>>66729732
I think you might be retarded.
>>
>>66729830
Really? There's hardly anything in that clip that doesn't have some level of humor to it. You're an idiot.
>>
>>66729977
>>66730022
>>66730077
Explain the jokes, dubsmen.
>>
>>66730341
The joke is you. You're an idiot.
>>
>>66730380
But I'm not in the movie.
>>
>>66730341
>explain the joke funnyman
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.