[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: good movies that didn't have a point I'll start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: magnolia-5222b0001b603.jpg (322 KB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
magnolia-5222b0001b603.jpg
322 KB, 1000x1426
ITT: good movies that didn't have a point

I'll start
>>
>>66726894
>"movies"
>posts a film
>>
>>66727074

What did he mean by this?
>>
When are you gonna start OP?
>>
>>66727074
it's a kino flick you pleb
>>
So why did frogs fall from the sky?
>>
No Country for old men. Literally no point the movie.
>>
Any John Cassavetes' flick
>>
>>66726894
The point is explained in the intro
>These strange things happen all the time
>>
>>66727231
interesting. no country for old men is one of my favorite movies but I've never though of what the point of the movie is supposed to be.
>>
>>66727313
"Strange things happen all the time" is no justification for a 3 hour movie that shows people just living their lives.
>>
>>66727231
you must have a short attention span
the entire "point" of the movie is literally summed up in that conversation with the sherriff and that old guy near the end
>>
>>66727346
what point would that be? he thought that when he was older God would come into his life?
>>
>>66727325
Just watched it and enjoyed it, I guess the point is that its not a country for old men (sheriff). No pun intented.
>>
>>66726894
>Life is Weird: The Film
>>
>>66727345
We get it, you love capeshit
>>
>>66727513
>love capeshit
>able to sit through Magnolia
pick 1
>>
>>66727369
>What you got ain't nothing new, this country's hard on people.
>Can't stop what's coming.
>>
>>
>>66726894
One could say that every character-driven movie has no point

>>66727231
Pay.Atenttion.To.What.You.Watch
>>
>>66727575
ah.
>>
TWBB
"good"
>>
>>66728140
so pretty much every PTA film doesn't have a point?
>>
The point of Magnolia was to have a fucking great Aimee Mann soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/aNmKghTvj0E
>>
>>66726894

Forgiveness was the "point", I believe. It was a brilliant movie.
>>
>>66727579
This movie was about a man trying to give his life some meaning. He constantly tries asking for some kind of help through the movie.
>>
>>66727198
someone answer this pls
>>
>>66727198
>>66730616
it's like the scuba diver that got sucked up my firefighter and was found (drowned iirc) in the middle of a burnt forest. truth is stranger than fiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_of_animals
>>
>>66731934
*by firefighters
>>
>>66727198
I don't really know what it meant but it's supposed to be Biblical.
>>
>>66727579

It's basically just the Book of Job, set in the Coen's childhood, starring an exaggeratedly miserable version of their father
>>
>>66732074

I think the frogs are essentially just an absurd (yet based on fact) visual illustration of the idea that "shit just happens." It's just kind of an over-the-top, somewhat comic way of nailing home the point he's been making the whole movie.

The movie is basically just supposed to be kind of anti-narrative and anti-convention, rejecting the idea that a screenplay needs to follow a certain structure and logic, because real life does not. Real life is just a mess of shit happening. So it's not just surrealism or dadaism, he's still trying to keep it all grounded in reality and human experience, but it definitely is all about making a statement on screenwriting style
>>
I guess its time to watch Magnolia again.
>>
>>66726894

nice blog post magnoliafan
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0pP66O9VN0
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>66732262

Wait, are you saying this bitch posts online as MagnoliaFan?

...snoogins...
>>
>>66728140
The point of TWBB is don't kill you're brother in the woods
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.