[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we stop pretending these weren't good movies? If you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4
File: hobbit.jpg (351 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hobbit.jpg
351 KB, 1280x720
Can we stop pretending these weren't good movies? If you can ignore the pointless love triangle, crappy orc CGI, and the fact that Azog was supposed to be dead at that point in time, you'll realize that PJ really nailed the feel of the book. And for people that complain about stuff like the absurdness of the barrel scene etc. realize that The Hobbit is Bilbo's recount of the story, and how Gandalf tells him that "all good stories deserve embellishment." You're all just mad that these movies weren't exactly like the Lord of the Rings when the truth is that in making the movies a bit silly, Peter Jackson was actually staying true to the source material.
>>
My favorite part was when Smaug flew off to destroy Dale at the end of episode 2 and then I had to wait a year for all the tension to die off and see hom die before the opening credits of the third
>>
>If you can ignore the pointless love triangle, crappy orc CGI, and the fact that Azog was supposed to be dead at that point in time

You're asking to me ignore a lot of things in there son
>>
>>66725275
If we can ignore ninety percent of the trilogy its a good movie
Sure whatever, heres your (you)
>>
It should have been one movie.
>>
>>66725275
The third part was the most boring shit I ever watched, spent most of it alt tabbed. These movies are hardly redeemable, should have been one film.
>>
>>66725762
I could have even forgiven 2. Stop the first one when smaug get defeated and have the second be the setup and execution of the five armys battle. Even though i realize in the book that was like one chapter long. But still
>>
>>66725275

I would also have to ignore:

- thorin being a tight mouthed shit cunt from start to finish
- shoehorned Gandalf and Elves vs. Wraith scenes which were absolutely lacking tension or purpose
- giant gold dwarf statue WHY, WHY
- utterly bungled the dwarves arrival at Beorn's house... shall we do the classic children's literature scene where Gandalf tricks Beorn by introducing the dwarves two at a time? Naw chase scene dude
- this movie needs more Stephen Fry
>>
>>66725275
This is worse than Star Wars prequel revisionism
>>
>>66725275
>you'll realize that PJ really nailed the feel of the book.
Holy shit, no he didn't, not even close. The book is not EPIC, it's not LotR, it's an amusing story for children.
>>
I liked the first two

The third one was a horrible poorly-done attempt at capturing the epic battles of ROTK. Plus it was the shortest of the Jackson Tolkien movies, and just felt rushed.
>>
>>66725906
And all the instances of HACKSONPHYSICS like Legolas brick jumping, the goblin town fight, the mountain giant fiaght, the spider fight, the barrel scene, and so on and so on. Why is Hackson so bad at physics?

I mean I noticed a few bits of it in Lotr but it was pretty tame. The worse he did was a warg going down a wall, Legolas mumakil shit and Sam falling down half a mountain, but I guess he got properly unleashed in the Hobbit.
>>
>>66725275
>these are good movies
>if you ignore over a dozen scenes and even more pointless inconsistencies.
If you have to edit out whole sections in your mind just to get to a decent story then they're not good movies.
>>
Desolation of Smaug > An Unexpected Journey > Part 3 The Big Overblown War Scene
>>
If i remember correctly, didnt tom bombadil have bird shit all over his head and was basically a retard?
>>
>>66726238
Nope. That was Radagast. Whole other character.
>>
I can't decide whether the extended editions are better or worse
>>
>>66726411
Oh hey a literal angel allegory that watches over nature and animals and should be as cool as gandalf himself
Lets make him into a pot smoking retard
>>
>>66725275
The first was surprisingly good.

The second was boring as shit

The third had some good moments but was otherwise not much of an improvement over the second.

They aren't terrible or anything like the Star Wars Prequels, but 2 and 3 are definitely not as good as the originals.
>>
The first 2 movies are on TNT right now fyi
>>
Would have been a lot better as 2 movies instead of 3
>>
>>66726520
He had a quirky personality but I'm not sure what he did that would warrant calling him a retard
>>
>if you can ignore the bad parts they're good
>>
>>66726428

Yeah, but, how? How did they get stuck? Horns?
>>
>I... cannot go back.
>Where will you go?
>I do not know.
>Go north. Find the dunedain. There is a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good man. His son... might grow to be a great one.
>What is his name?
>He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself.

>LOTR theme kicks in for 2-3 secs

>Legolas. Your mother loved you. More than anyone. More than life.
>>
>>66725275
I really loved the first movie, it was so comfy
>>
>>66726958
The guy in the front is the dwarf with the axe in his head, I think.
>>
>>66725275

First was fun and second had it's moments and manged to be a good movie.

Third was terrible and should have never been made. Second should have been cut down a bit and have the battle with Smaug/big battle between everyone be the climax but cut down and done far better.

The studio wanted three movies though and oh how it shows. I don't even blame Jackson. After seeing that behind the scenes video they struggled like hell with the trilogy, had zero prep time, and did the best they could. It got fucked by studio meddling.
>>
>>66726974

I can't believe they did this man, so surreal, Aragorn is supossed to be 70 in LOTR?
>>
>>66726974
>tfw no drogo baggins drowning in a boat scene
>>
>>66727082
87 in TTT
>>
>>66727082

Doesn't he have some of the blood of the Numenoreans in him though? I mean its pretty diluted so he can't live like an Elf but wouldn't that make him age a bit slower than the average human? I'm not lorefag though so maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>not wanting Del Torro's Hobbit duoligy instead
>>
>>66727082
>>66727130
Aragorn was born in 2931, and the BotFA happens in 2941, so he'd be 10 years old.

>Greetings to you, 10 years old kid known in the wild as... Strider. I will be hanging out with you from now on. Don't worry, I'm not a rapist nor a weirdo.
>>
>>66727188

Bro I don't even know what Numernoreans is
>>
>>66727082
Wait what's the problem? Aragorn was 9 or 10 years old during the Hobbit
>>
>>66727188
You are correct. He lived to be 210. And only then because he "here weary of life" and choose to die
>>
>>66727310
*grew weary
>>
File: middle-earth-map.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
middle-earth-map.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>66727082
He is 10 in the Hobbit, 70 at the start of LOTR and there is a 17 year gap between Frodo receiving the ring and leaving the Shire making him 87 during the war.

>>66726974
>Go north. Find the dunedain.
>>
>if you can ignore all of the things that make them shit movies you'll see they're actually good movies

Good argument there, really smashed the competition. Also,

>true to the source material

This was the biggest problem with the movies is that it completely shit on the source material. For you to even say this makes me question of you even read the book.
>>
>>66727233
There was this magical Atlantis like kingdom named Numenor. It was on a star shaped island.

The people there were called Dunedain, and were super pious and godly and the Valar gave them super long life.

One day Sauron forged the ring of power and hacked into some elven rings, making many human kingdoms on the main continent swear fealty to him, so the Numenorians waged war and captured Sauron. He then sweettalked the Numenorian king into becoming a satanic heretic and he declared war on the Gods and sent his fleets to attack the place where the gods/valar live. They got rekt and the Valar sinked Numenor. They let one lordly house survive because they didnt go heretic, and they settled in the Middle Earth, forming Gondor and Arnor, with the Elendil the king of both. Elendil got wrecked by Sauron, Isildur became the King of Arnor while his brother I think became the King of Gondor. Kingdom of Arnor got rekt a few centuries later by the Witch King, the chief Nazgul, and its people became wood people lead by a line of chieftains who were descedants of Arnor kings. Gondor lost its royal bloodline and it was ruled by a line of stewards.

Aragorn was therefore the only claimant to both Gondor and Arnor, heir of Elendil and the blood of old Numenor. After Lotr he became king of Gondor, rebuilt Arnor in the north, integrating Shire into it, where Thane Peregrin Took ruled as his vassal.
>>
>>66727344
Over Ered Mithrin are frozen wastes inhabited by the Lossoth, a culture of igloo-dwelling men that live there since the fucking first age.

It's bullshit though, Aragorn is in Rivendell at that time. If they wanted that Aragorn reference so bad, they should have cast him in the first movie.
>>
>>66725906
>shall we do the classic children's literature scene where Gandalf tricks Beorn by introducing the dwarves two at a time?
That's in the Extended Edition
>>
>>66727577
>If they wanted that Aragorn reference so bad, they should have cast him in the first movie.
The actor didn't accept the role.
>>
>>66725275

>if you can ignore the cgi world, ridiculous set pieces, a half dozen useless dwarf characters that do nothing but look ridiculous, a bunch of original content that nobody wanted, the inappropriate tonal shifts from children's slapstick movie to beheadings and violence, ruining the orcs by making them cgi...

there's not a single redeeming quality about these movies
>>
>>66727232
In Jackson's mythology, Aragorn is 87 in TTT (stated in the EE), Hobbit is 60 years earlier, making Aragorn 26-27 in TBOTFA
>>
>>66727626
They should have cast some 12 year old with long black hair to play him.
>>
>>66727577
I know that. I don't get why Thranduil said to go north when the Dunedain are to the west. Unless he was sending Legolas to the Forodwaith to be killed by some dragon.
>>
>>66727661
Nope. The Hobbit was 77 years earlier than TTT. Most people don't realize that there was a 17 year gap in between Gandald leaving the shire in Fellowship and his return to send Frodo away
>>
>>66727681
They didn't had the time, the production of all the movies, specially the last one was incredibly rushed, the director was still making key choices WHILE the movie was being made.
>>
>>66727754
That time gap is not in the movies, I'm well aware of how it goes down in the books.
>>
>>66727754
So there's a 10 years in the movies that has just gone missing?
>>
>>66727785
Yes it is. That's why Bilbo looks so much older in ROTK
>>
>>66727798
>>66727754
That part was cut from the movie, Jackson had Gandalf return a few weeks later instead of 17 years
>>
>>66727798
What are you taking about?
>>
>>66727855
He looks so much older because he no longer has the Ring and his age had caught up with him.

Beginning of Fellowship (movie) Bilbo, to meeting Bilbo at Rivendell - barely changed in appearance, which you're trying to tell me was 17 years in the movie mythology.

Yet only 18 months after they set out from Rivendell, and the journey's over, Bilbo looks entirely different.
>>
The Azog thing is alright I guess just cut movies need a villain character these days, but the love triangle, cgi abuse, and most of the Laketown scenes made these movies a disappointment to me. They were ok, but I was expecting better.
>>
>>66727879
Where are you getting this info?
>>
>>66725275
>Can we stop pretending these weren't good movies?

They weren't terrible movies, but it should not have been broken up into 3 films. Because it is, I find them boring. I have the first one on tv now and it's making me sleepy.
>>
>>66727982
It's pretty obvious that only a few weeks-months pass considering there was nothing shown that implied a longer passage of time and Frodo didn't age at all.
>>
>>66727982

I don't think it's eccplicitly said, but it's safe to say the period between the birthdays and Gandalfs return wasn't in the movies. Like Sam for example was the same age before and after the time it would have been.
>>
>>66727879
>>66727798
>>66727785
That is what is implied, but they didn't change all the rest of the world age accordingly. Movie Aragorn has the same age he has in the books, yet the timeline is different. It's just details anyway.
>>
>>66728041

Frodo not aging can be attributed to him owning the ring. But Sam/Rosie/Merry/Pippin looked the same as well.
>>
>>66725275
compared to something really bad they weer okay

what a visionary you are for figuring this out
>>
>>66728041
Well riding to Minas Tirith and back would on itself take more than a few weeks, not to mention the fact that Gandalf made it clear that he tracked down Gollum in that time. And as far as Frodo not aging, that's just kind of Hobbits are. Frodo is 23 years older than Pippin but they look the same age. Are you really trying to imply that Jackson completely fucked with the timeline of the story for no reason?
>>
File: 564687577567.png (62 KB, 162x174) Image search: [Google]
564687577567.png
62 KB, 162x174
>>66725275
>If you can ignore the things that make the movie bad it's actually good
Anon...
>>
>>66727982
>>66728170

I got it from the movie, it looks like Gandalf just went to Minas Tirith and back, it was a few months at most.

I think the scenes with Sam and his flirting with Rosie at the party and then at the pub points out that the two scenes arent that far apart. Unless he is so beta that it took him 17 years to woo her.
>>
>>66728170
I'm implying he altered it for the purposes of the movies, without considering the fact that creating a Hobbit adaptation (which probably didn't even cross his mind at the time) would make that timeline completely incompatible. Like I said, nothing in the movie implies the passing of anything even close to ten years.
>>
>>66725275
>nailed the feel of the book
>but dragged it to three movies
s m h
>>
>>66728291
He also tracked down Gollum which would take years of wandering in the wilderness. And the thing about Rosie, that's exactly how it happened in the book?

Does anyone have a quote from PJ stating that this change was made?
>>
>>66725944
>the book isn't epic
>epic

go away
>>
>>66728461
I dont remember Rosie from the book, but he did search for gollum with Aragorn in those 17 years. I think the Rosie thing makes it clear that there is no substantial in the movies, he just looked for Gollum a bit until he discovered that he's in Mordor. He probably just asked around among the Dunedain, Gondor, Ithilien Rangers and so on, or what is the most likely scenario is that it seems Jackson didnt think that part through, but clearly didnt want to do a 17 year skip, as that buttfuck the pacing.
>>
>>66726428
I'm not even gonna ask if this is real footage or some comedic relief they did to put into the making of
>>
>>66725906
Why did Gandalf introduce the dwarves two at a time?
>>
>>66729547
Beorn hates dwarves, and if all dwarves all showed up suddenly he might have gone mad, turned into a giant bear, and murder them all.
>>
>>66727310
So how old would he have looked by the time of LOTR then? About 30 or so?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.