[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bet most of you guys would've ran off too scared to fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: DoYouWantToKnowMore.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
DoYouWantToKnowMore.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
I bet most of you guys would've ran off too scared to fire a bullet at this thing. None of you could ever become citizens.
>>
>>66699093

Honestly, I would have questioned the competency of our leadership due to their poor tactics and strategy.

1. A war very well wouldn't have been necessary. Simply establishing a planetary defense system for Earth and colonies would take care of the occasional asteroid. Plus the bugs were literally on the other side of the galaxy.
2. Assuming a war was necessary, simply sending ships to the bug words would be enough. Simply hand at the edge of the solar system and use missiles and other long range weaponry to bombard the planet. Your ships would be at stand-off distance and could easily dodge any incoming plasabug fire.
3. Assuming a ground invasion was necessary - ground forces should mostly comprise of armored and mechanized units with full artillery and close air support.
>>
>>66699275
You have got to remember the power that the Federation has over everything. One government. And by Razcack's (Or however it is spelt) speech, it seems that democracy no longer exists, so whatever leader is in has complete power. You wouldn't really have a free mind.
>>
>>66699275
It's a depop program to cull humanity.
>>
>>66699093
What is this? A bug for ants?
>>
>>66699359
>leader
If you read Heinlein you would know it was a junta of bitter veterans. That have contempt for civilians.
>>
>>66699275
You think you're so smart, yet you missed the entire point of this satirical movie.
>>
>>66699275
>he doesn't know it was an inside job
>>
>>66699093
I'M FROM PUERTO RICO AND I SAY
>>
File: coolsville.png (73 KB, 180x169) Image search: [Google]
coolsville.png
73 KB, 180x169
>>66700310
COOLSVILLE SUCKS
>>
God this movie's world was all kinds of fucked up. Also the generals in charge were morons
>>
>>66700819
When you got bugs that spray fire, ones that shoot plasma out of their buttholes, bugs that roll and explode, bugs that suck your brains out, bugs that INFECT your brain and a fucking GOD BUG, what can you do?
>>
>>66699275
>I don't know how propaganda works
>>
>>66699275
yes the federation leader ship is pretty shit they probably got most of their combat experience putting down colonial rebellions.
Didn't the sky marshal have to resign after that initial failure
>>
>>66700908
Live in a cabin away from the backwards militant bullshit? Also I love how there first plan was full scale assault with little to no info on their enemy. If youre going to wipe out the bugs, run some recon first
>>
I would have gone fleet and pulled pussy day and night
>>
>>66699093
somebody made a mistake
somebody made a big god damned mistake
>>
>>66701128
That was the whole point. The federation are incompetent assholes that want to play war and thought the bugs were just bugs with no intelligence.
>>
I already don't vote and I hate kids

Citizenship means nothing to me
>>
>>66701216
well you're still a man-child, so...
>>
>>66701252
how are they a manchild
>>
>>66699093
lol, run off.

I would have froze and shit my pants and just wait to killed.
>>
File: 1454468742157-1.jpg (669 KB, 2935x1397) Image search: [Google]
1454468742157-1.jpg
669 KB, 2935x1397
>>66699275
Only in the movie was the leadership bad because of verhoeven wanting to show how stupid that form of government would be. In the book they did use shit like mechanized suits and shit when there was ground operations. Also, if I remember correctly, the bugs were attacking colonies humans were setting up. It's been too long since I read the book though. However, it did a much better job explaining those sorts of things.
>>
>>66701510
I work for the NSA
>>
>>66701828
The book was actually pro-fascism
>>
>Because Rico and friends were rich they got cloned.
>>
>>66702174
Carmen got cloned?

Best girl died ;_;
>>
>>66702009
and I'm CIA would you like to meet my friend he's kind of a big guy
>>
>>66702366
_Y_
FOR
_U_
>>
>>66699275

You totally forgot the part in the movie where the news reporter says something about how 'a live and let live policy was preferable to war, and the brain bugs understood this, but he also goes on to say how their homes were disturbed by military presence thus causing them to be agressive

right as this is happening, rico hears this, and says the live "im from benos ares and i say kill em all"

the idea is the whole film is marxist propoganda. rather than letting the primatrive cultures live and adapt, they would rather be colonized and destoryed, just like what America does in real life (palestinians, indians, etc)
>>
>>66699275
>what is a movie
>>
File: 1455162447563.jpg (86 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
1455162447563.jpg
86 KB, 640x512
>>66702158
No it wasn't. Heinlein was speculating about a different style of republic where the right to vote had to be earned. The easiest way to this was through military service, but I am pretty sure there were others ways as well if you were unfit to serve. It does share a few characteristics with fascism, mainly how pro-military it was, the government was nevershown to be overly totalitarian. One could argue that this system could devolve into a fascist state, but that wasn't what Heinlein was describing or advocating.
>>
>>66702487
yeah it was a caricature of Israel. right?
>>
File: 1457042472841.jpg (36 KB, 460x421) Image search: [Google]
1457042472841.jpg
36 KB, 460x421
>>66702547
Dunno about that. I thought Isreal had mandatory service if you are able. Can you opt out and give up your right to vote?
>>
>>66702487
>the government was nevershown to be overly totalitarian
Are you kidding? They control almost every facet of society in the book and choosing not to be a government goon at one point in your life basically makes you a second class citizen. Did you forget the strawman university debate scene in the book?
>>
>>66702615
perhaps it's more about how compulsory service effects the electorate
>>
>>66699093
>None of you could ever become citizens.

Congratulations. You just figured out the point of fascism.
>>
>>66702487
The society in Starship troopers was Fascist. Even if he didn't intend for the book to be pro-fascist, the society in it was still Fascist.
>>
>>66702648

To be fair, "citizenship" only conferred the right to vote. Non-citizens were still equal under the law in every other respect, Rico's father was a wealthy powerful business man who was a non-citizen.
>>
>>66702837
That's the point. Non-citizens don't care about voting, because they don't understand the value of it.

They are the sheep while the citizens are the dogs "herding" them.
>>
File: 1449829876462.jpg (35 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1449829876462.jpg
35 KB, 351x351
>>66702664
That very well could be. I never thought of it like that. I would imagine being forced to be in the military for a year or two would definitely affect your outlook on the government and its supposed role in society. I am not entirely against compulsory service. I think it may be good way to toughen up some of the whiny young men. However, I have been told I have a very old-fashioned outlook on what it means to be a man.

>>66702648
I don't remember that particular part, no. I remember the education was definitely pro-military and pushed the government's point of view onto the students a little too much, but it never came across as a totalitarian regime. Even being only a civilian you still had the right to free speech and judicial rights. You just couldn't vote or be elected to office.
>>
>>66702483
>whole film is marxist propoganda
Funny thing is, in the book chracters actually say communism is an impossible for humans for biological reasons, while the insects are born ready for a communist society and that's why they are so efficient
>>
>>66702648
Yes, but I think you misinterpret what was intended. The whole book was an attempt by Heinlein to speculate on the inverse of the Swiss/Israeli system of universal sufferage coupled with mandatory military service in light of the debate over ending the draft that was happening in the US at the time. But in imagining a society that coupled voluntary service with a franchise that was conditional on service Heinlein expanded the traditional meaning of service to make it less centred on the military and this is mentioned several times in the book. In peacetime the military only makes up a small fraction of the people undergoing public service, the rest is a bunch of things from building infrastructure to being a test subject for dangerous experiments, the whole point of service is to prove that you are willing to sacrifice your time and labour, or even risk your own safety, for the public good. The military isn't even the most desirable option, they deliberately use deformed and injured veterans as recruiters to scare off all but the most committed people.

And claiming that not undergoing service makes you a second class citizen directly contradicts what's in the book, Rico's family is wealthy and powerful but none of them have served and even opposed Rice undergoing service, so clearly it's not the case that people who refuse service are placed in some general position of disadvantage in society, they just can't vote or hold public office. And another important thing to remember about this system is that people only get the franchise after they have completed service, so career soldiers can never vote or hold office at all, it's only those that serve for a few years and then leave who get the franchise.
>>
>>66703171
>what was intended
What was intended and what was conveyed are two separate things. The truth of the matter is that Heinlein needed a war to take place in his book where humanity could possibly face extinction to make his system of government seem like a palatable alternative.
>>
File: 1449548738849.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1449548738849.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>66703292
That's not entirely true. The war/Rico's story was there to show the types of decisions he made and what his reasons were. The whole book was just a coming of age story for Rico. It would have been far less entertaining if Rico only had some mundane job that qualified him to be a citizen. If there was no war at the time the story would most likely have been very dull.

Furthermore, they explained the transition to this was because society became so abhorrent you couldn't walk tge streets at night without getting mugged/murdered by drug addicts, schools were overwhelmed with violence, and being sent to prison only ended up allowing criminals to discuss and study how to better commit their crimes when they were released. The war with the bugs wasn't how this system of governance came to be.
>>
>>66699967

if this is true why do they go after the brain bug
>>
>>66703668
Because they want to know how to kill themselves faster? I don't know.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.