[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plothole Thread? Plothole Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 352x199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 352x199
So if he's wearing the ring in that pic.....how come he ain't invisible?

I literally threw out my box set of the LOTR when I found this huge plothole.

Also plothole thread.
>>
The ring doesn't make you invisible tho
>>
>>66695292
enhances innate abilities or someshit

hobbits are sneaky little fucks so they get invis. super op
>>
File: 1456126657869.jpg (81 KB, 604x533) Image search: [Google]
1456126657869.jpg
81 KB, 604x533
>>66695292

Oh neat, it's this thread again!
>>
>tolkein wasted his life replying to idiotic questions like these
>>
Prometheus, but we'll be here all day. Why did Venkman from Ghostbusters have sedatives on his date?
>>
Why would he shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane?
>>
>>66695455
To kill him to death, obviously.
>>
>>66695395
>Why did Venkman from Ghostbusters have sedatives on his date?
You know why.
>>
>>66695340
This basically answers your question OP

But in regards to:
>plothole thread

I nominate Interstellar on... well... pretty much all accounts.
>>
It does different things to different races. That's why Galadriel showed she would into a super powerful witch.
>>
>>66695292
>It's the "Anons don't know what Plot Hole means" Episode.
>>
>>66695527
MUH LOVE
>>
>>66695292
Its a ring of unimaginable power

When a mortal wears it invisibility comes easiest, take that as you will
>>
>>66695494
I like to think better of Venkman but yeah.......
>>
>>66695340
Kek, no. Why the fuck do people spout this shit.

The ring doesn't turn you invisible like >>66695319 said, it transports you to the wraith world. That's why Frodo can see the ring WRAITHS when he wears the ring, and why they seem formless to everyone else.

Sauron exists inside both realms as he is Maiar, THAT is why he doesn't go 'invisible'. All the ring does is grant control over the other rings which are given to the most powerful of each respective race, except elves, they kept theirs secret.
>>
File: Darko9.png (710 KB, 1234x531) Image search: [Google]
Darko9.png
710 KB, 1234x531
This always fucking bugs me. When Rose Darko is talking to this one chick in her house the chick says Jim Cunningham, pic related, isn't married. And he's got this fucking obvious wedding ring on. It's in all the pics on Google, how did they not notice this.
>>
>>66695540
>>66695340

These are both wrong. To master the Ring and use its power requires a strong will. Galadriel is counted among the great and wise of Middle Earth, and therefore she could master the Ring and use it to its full effect after a fashion. Someone like Sam or Frodo couldn't do this, because they just don't have the same level of skill in magic and whatnot.

Some people seem to turn invisible because that appears to be how the ring was designed. Their physical bodies are moved from the seen world, to the unseen world, a common theme in Tolkien's writing. In the unseen world they become visible to, and can see, entities and things that aren't visible in the seen world. You could theorize that this is an intended safe-guard by Sauron, to better facilitate recovery of the One if it is ever lost, or it is just an intended function of the Ring, requiring the most basic level of mastery to use.
>>
>>66695647
This.

Fuck all of you speculating, ignorant assholes spouting off made up bullshit about "hurr durr ring makes hobbits invisible because they're sneaky, does different things to different races".

Put down your mediocre, non-canon movies and read the actual fucking literature. Or don't. Either way, kill yourselves.
>>
>>66695738

Thanks anon.
>>
>>66695777
You're welcome btw nice trips
>>
Your all just guessing that it's not a plot hole as only hobbits are shown wearing it.

It would have been nice if Tolkien went into what happened to the human guy that put on the ring . But he never did.

Why didn't bombadil ever put it on wasn't he the actual god of middle earth or something.
>>
>>66695292
Star Wars : The King of Plot Holes

>Ben Kenobi doesn't remember R2
>Ben says the Jedi ruled for a thousand generations when Sheev says its a thousand years
>Empire general on the Death Star refers to the Force as an ancient religion despite the fact that the Jedi practiced and taught their magic in the middle of the government capital only 19 years ago
>Darth Vader can 'sense' Luke, his son, on another ship, but not his daughter standing 2 feet away from him
>Leia says she can remember her mother even though she died instantly in childbirth
>the first Death Star takes 20 years to build, the second one manages to be operational within 3 years
>Obi Wan hides Luke in the absolute most obvious location in the entire universe for him to be found
>>
>>66696050
Bombadil DID put it on. It didn't do jack shit.
>>
>>66695738
muh headcanon
>>
>>66695748
This "the ring enhances your main quality" shit meme needs to die, yes. I don't know where it came from, but it's mmo-tier bullshit retarded.
>>
File: 1452129374119.jpg (119 KB, 580x630) Image search: [Google]
1452129374119.jpg
119 KB, 580x630
>>66695777
>holy trips

checked
>>
>>66696179 those are lucky trips
but check out true dubs>>66696122
>>
>>66695292
One of the properties of the Great Rings is to turn you invisible, but they don't turn all wearers invisible. Gandalf, Celeborn and Galadriel all wore them and they were perfectly visible. Ditto the Ringwraiths.
>>
>>66696069
>sheev
Pls stop
>>
>>66696323
The One Ring doesn't turn you invisible, it brings you to the wraith plane.

The rings of the nazguls and the elves don't have that effect, that's why Gandalf, Celeborn (what ring did he wear?) and Galadriel remained visible.

If Galadriel and Celeborn put on the One Ring, they wouldn't be visible. Gandalf would remain visible, because he's already in the wraith world, since he's a maiar. Same with Sauron.
>>
>>66696323
Prove it. What's your basis for believing that?
>>
>>66696323
See:
>>66695647
>>66695748
Especially the second post which explicitly urges you to kill yourself.
>>
>>66696358
never
>>
>>66696393
The elvish rings are different. They were created in secret without Saurons knowledge who had previously tricked the humans and dwarves into wearing his trojan horse rings. The elves knew what were up and made their own rings, outside the control of Saurons. Gandlaf had Narya which gave him a +10 boost to resistance for evil and +50 Morale boost for nearby allies.
>>
>>66696536
The wizards are also angelic beings, like sauron but lower tier.

I thought sauron did make the elves rings but he didn't put addictive shit in them so the elves put them on, realised somthing spooky was going on and took them back off.
>>
>>66696820
Narya is an elvish ring though, so it doesn't have the same properties as the human/dwarf/the one ring/s. It's been a while since I read The Sil, but pretty sure the elves knew Sauron was doing sneaky shit with the rings and made their own in secret to the point where Sauron still didn't know about them during the war of the ring, that's why they are so secretive about them. They don't even know for sure Galadriel has one until the end.

Since writing this though it may seem that Sauron was aware of them just he didn't know who had them/what they did.
>>
>>66696050
Isildur wore it, same effect as for a hobbit.
>>
>>66696820
>>66696536
The Elves did make the three without Sauron, but using the techniques that he taught them. When he put on the One the wearers sensed his presence and what was going on, and took them off immediately. Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond wear the three during the War, but keep them invisible so no one knows. They were never touched by Sauron, so they aren't tainted, but their power is ultimately derived from the One Ring, so when it is destroyed they also lose their power.
>>
File: 1456986177981.png (59 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1456986177981.png
59 KB, 184x184
>>66695703
>may be right but has literally no effect on the plot
>>
>>66697145
>One Ring, so when it is destroyed they also lose their power.

I don't know about that point, isn't one of the last things to happen between the hobbit's and Galadriel something to do with her ring? She finally revealed it if I remember correctly, that would be pointless if it were powerless.
>>
>>66695647
What do the other rings do? And if sauron could control them, then how come he even lost if all the best and most powerful people of every race were his bottom bitches?
>>
>>66697197
When they part ways she holds it up and it catches the light. Frodo already knew she had a ring, because he had the One and could perceive hers. I don't know why she showed it off specifically at that point, it was probably just a token of farewell to Frodo, a sign of solidarity for a fellow ring-bearer.

The three 100% lost their power though the second the One was destroyed. It's the reason for the diminishing of the last few bastions of Elvendom in Middle Earth during the Fourth Age. By the time of Aragorn's death no elves dwell in Rivendell or Lothlorien, because the rings of Elrond and Galadriel aren't their to preserve those lands anymore.
>>
>>66697244
Because that's how the story went, anon.
>>
>>66697327
The loss of the rings aren't the point of the exodus, it's a much more spiritual things. Like warning Legolas of the Sea-Gulls. It was something in motion long before the war of the ring. Especially when talking about elves whose only reason for coming to ME were the jewels whose fate had long been secured, like Galadriel.
>>
>>66697244
Well the seven given to the Dwarves was a huge cluster fuck. They were meant to make the Dwarves who wore them fade and become wraiths, but it just didn't work. The race was too hardy and resistant to evil, so it just amplified their innate attributes, namely a lust for jew golds.

The nine worked perfectly, and produced for Sauron his most feared and powerful servents, the Nazgul.

The three were not worn at all during Sauron's reign, and they were worn after his fall because he had not tainted them personally. However if he had obtained the One then it was a forgone conclusion that he would recover the three in time, as none would be able to stand against him.
>>
>>66697406
Yes but the three prolonged the kingdoms of elves in Middle Earth for a very long time, that is indisputable. It was the only thing keep many elves there, and once the issue with the One was resolved, and the three lost their power, many elves, Galadriel and Elrond included, lost whatever desire they had to remain in Middle Earth and checked out.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.