[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tarkovsky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: 71bGAyYy-3L._SL1024_.jpg (244 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
71bGAyYy-3L._SL1024_.jpg
244 KB, 1024x768
Watched Ivan's Childhood the other night, WOW. The plot kind of lost me about halfway through, but the cinematography, score, and atmosphere were absolutely top notch. This is one of those films that couldnt have been shot in anything but black and white, the contrast is absolutely beautiful.

What's your favorite Tark film, and why?
>>
Can't really discuss arthouse here, you won't get any (You)s
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
Mirror>Nostalghia>Andrei Rublev>Offret>Solaris>Stalker>Ivan's Childhood.

But pretty much any order is correct. Greatest artist of filmmaking of history.
>>
>>66674200
The Mirror/Solaris/Stalker

On gunpoint I'd probably choose Stalker
>>
>The plot kind of lost me about halfway through, but the cinematography, score, and atmosphere were absolutely top notch.

Can underage plebs get banned, seriously. this is embarrassing now, jans.
>>
>>66674361
Added Offret and Mirror to my list, danke
>>
The Mirror is easily my favorite so far, other than that I've only seen Ivan, Stalker, and Solaris.

Solaris was a huge disappointment considering how great the first half is.
>>
Well i didn't like Stalker at first, but now I think this is the best comfy - calm down / meditation movie out there. It made me buy a small fountain so I can relax listening to flowing water.

That and writers mono/dialogs are always very interesting to me, professor and stalkers, too. This movie made me appreciate nature again and respect life in general.
>>
>>66674377
What? I just didn't find the plot very engaging, especially when it went off onto the tangent about Masha and the soldier being in love.

That being said, that scene was absolutely beautiful, great location. What I'm trying to say is that the imagery affected me more than what was actually going on in context of the story.
>>
Honestly a significant fragment of the human collective psyche that has shaped and defined cinema as a form of creative expression died permanently with Tarkovsky. He was the embodiment of cinema as art, and while his contributions remain, he himself and thus a part of the art is gone forever and will never be replaced.
>>
>>66674472
but all the water in that film was contaminated with nuclear waste or something wasn't it? I sort of faded out in the last talky part of it. liked the look of it though, the bleak russian ness of it
>>
>>66674532
What? He was a great filmmaker, one of the very best ever, but cinema isn't any less an "art" now that he's gone. There will always be true artists in film to continue carrying the torch.
>>
>>66674568
That scene where it seemed like it was snowing, that was actually toxic foam flying through the air and building puddles in the streams.
It was from some factory nearby and Tarkovsky himself plus some other crew members got sick and eventually died from it,
>>
>>66674625
>literally dying for art
What a fucking man.
>>
>>66674200
My fav would be Stalker, simply because I love the games and the book.
Other Tarkovsky movies just didn't quite cut it for me, but I gotta agree on the superb cinematography in Ivan's Childhood!
Those scenes in the birch wood were fantastic!
>>
>>66674568
It looked rather clean, except for the part where there were serveral fishes and there was some oily substance on the surface. I know of the industrial shit going on the set, yet I think that Tarkovsky wanted to portray the zone / nature / water as something good and relaxing - hence them all lying in the gras / water and sleeping (which I always thought would be kinda uncomfortable but it seemed like it was to make a point). The same way, the city way portrayed as dull and redish/hellish, the zone is in full, vivid green colors and with flowing water everywhere.
>>
I've only seen Stalker, it provides a nice allegory on Christianity and faith in particular. It's only in a modern world were the common man is so far removed from suffering and brutality that religion can fade into the background. As soon as there is a crisis, the great return to faith begins anew.
>>
>>66674673
Reading the book right now, it's incredibly different but I'm enjoying it so far.

How are the games? Anything like the book or movie, or something else almost entirely different?
>>
>>66674802
I haven't read the book or even seen the movie yet, but the games are some of the best FPSes ever made
>>
>>66674869
>the year of our Lord 2016
>redditposting

Leave.
>>
>>66674802
As someone that has seen, watched and played, all three mediums are very different; the book and movie being more similar in philosophy, the games merely share setting
>>
>>66674906
>muh flicks
>>
>>66674906
>MMXVI Anno Domini
>speaking in english

Plebeian
>>
>>66674913
p.s. That being said, all three executions are great and all worth checking out
>>
>>66674932
Are you Australian or something? Why would you enter a thread about a filmmaker you don't like just to call everyone Reddit? Autism.
>>
>>66674958
>muh Indian goat milking board
>>
>>66674992
>muh >muh
>>
>>66674869
T-thanks for the (You)'s!~
>>
Malick must be a fan of Tarkovsky, right? The Mirror and The Tree of Life are like two different versions of the same film. Both in my top ten
>>
entry level meme director
>>
>>66675411
Now you will say that Bach is entry level meme musician or something like that.
>>
My favourite has to be Andrei Rublev, have to rewatch it soon
>>
Bümp for kïnô
>>
>>66675411
Who cares if he's entry level (which I strongly disagree with), I watch movies based on how interesting/enjoyable they are, not too see someones view on a subject by using metaphors and other stuff.
>inb4 fedora
>inb4 you can't inb4 your own post
>>
>>66674673
>My fav would be Stalker, simply because I love the games and the book.
I completely agree with Stalker as my favorite Tarkovsky movie, but what do you mean game? This might be a fucking stupid question, but I had no idea there was a game about it.
>>
>>66674200
>not an original Tarkovsky project
>He re-used material from the previous director

not canon
>>
File: dips vedora.jpg (100 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
dips vedora.jpg
100 KB, 600x800
>>66674377
>Everyone has to experience the movie the same way as I do
>>
How's "the sacrifice"?
>>
>>66675411
show us some non-meme non-entry-level directors then
>>
>>66679715
Very underrated in my opinion.
>>
>>66679417
I didn't know this wasn't an OG Tark. Who was the director first?
>>
>>66679465
Who stacks mugs like that?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.