[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of musicals? What are your favorites? Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: 28113_original.gif (1 MB, 489x180) Image search: [Google]
28113_original.gif
1 MB, 489x180
What does /tv/ think of musicals? What are your favorites? Which ones suck?
>>
>>66667555
Nice get

I honestly can't stand most musicals, it just comes off as awkward and unnatural. But if it's not trying to be really grim or serious it can work, I kinda liked Chicago, almost liked Cabaret but didn't really like it that much.
>>
>>66667555
check'd

It's hit or miss. I think it worked better with older film styles like Fiddler and West Side Story. Today movies are too fast paced and too desperate to come off realistic for musicals to work.
>>
It's one of those genres that when done right kick ass but when done poorly suck serious balls.
>>
File: image.png (634 KB, 583x569) Image search: [Google]
image.png
634 KB, 583x569
>>
The newer Producers film is one of my guilty pleasures.
>>
>>66667747
Was that a musical?
>>
>>66667878
Well, Mel Brooks + musical theater is a pretty good combination.
>>
>>66667555
>>66667719
Pretty much these. The thing with musicals, is they they need acting to really sell the choreography, and most modern films do too many cuts.

For good ones, check out stuff from 1930-1970, especially with Fred Astaire. Comfy like nothing else. Most stuff after that is trash (Willy Wonka is exception)

>>66667878
>newer one
Really? I thought the older one was way funnier

>>66667948
>WE'RE JEEEEEEEWS
>WE'RE JEWS IN SPAAAAAACE
>>
File: 1453343939465.png (375 KB, 583x569) Image search: [Google]
1453343939465.png
375 KB, 583x569
>>66667747
Pan?
>>
>>66668597
>Really? I thought the older one was way funnier

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally prefer the musical (but I did see it on stage first), but Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel are just magical. But for the Musical's version of "Springtime for Hitler" just kills it too hard.

Also, did you ever notice Jews in Space was the same tune as Men in Tights?
>>
>>66668747
I did not, but I see it now.

I feel like the new one put in a lot of subplot that I just didn't care for, and, as good as he is, Broderick can't match the acting giant that was Wilder. Wilder just did crazy too well.

God, Mel Brooks is such a Jew, he'll even reuse tunes to save money.

I actually love Brook's work
>>
I actually do think Fiddler on the Roof is the best musical of all time. It's a really natural fit for Jewish culture to be in the form of a musical, especially considering the beginnings of musical theatre among Yiddish immigrants. And what other musical do you get such a strong sense for a religious folk culture? It's all just so rich and detailed I can't really imagine anything better.

My Fair Lady is also pretty good, and I like Guys and Dolls.

fiddler on the roof >>>>>> my fair lady > guys and dolls
>>
File: Nevermind.jpg (473 KB, 940x940) Image search: [Google]
Nevermind.jpg
473 KB, 940x940
>>66667555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZVA9TPwj8
PURE KINO
>>
who got the >>66666666
>>
>>66668885
As someone with Jewish heritage, I always joke that I was never Bar Mitzvahed but I know every word of fiddler and that has to count for something.
>>
>>66668877
I honestly think Mel Brooks is one of film's greatest comedic directors.

also, check'd
>>
>>66668948
Deviantart Dave Grohl as satan. It got hotpocketed.
>>
>>66667555
How did they fuck up Les Miserables so badly.

>"JAVERT"
>Russell Crowe enters room
>Has been eating cotton balls all day
>Still has dozens of cotton balls in his mouth
>"Valjean, at last, we see each other plain . . . "

Fucking hell.
>>
>>66668941
WHAT THE FUCK? Was the whole movie like this?

>Is this canada?

I knew the film was shit but I had no idea it was this bad.
>>
>>66668968
I saw a decent fiddler performance in HS.Tevye was played by an irl Jew
>>
Hair
Jesus Christ Super Star
Fiddler on the Roof

Shit, that's all I can think of. Musicals juts aren't my thing usually. Maybe Willy Wonka too.
>>
>>66668989
Literally no one can deny that. Some of the funniest movies of all time, and he's not a bad actor.
>>
Oh, and Tommy. I forgotted that one.
>>
Pretty boring unless they have good looking women
>>
File: 1378209376569.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1378209376569.png
65 KB, 285x276
>met, dated, and lost virginity to first love primarily due to participating in a Guys and Dolls musical in high school
>relationship ended badly
>can't really listen to Guys and Dolls anymore

it still hurts
>>
>Moulin Rouge is still the best musical of the last fifteen years
>>
I'm a sucker for old fashioned silly feel-good entertainment. Bye Bye Birdie is a classic.
>>
File: HedwigSlide_007L.jpg (1 MB, 2093x1389) Image search: [Google]
HedwigSlide_007L.jpg
1 MB, 2093x1389
>>66669158
What is Hedwig and the Angry Inch
>>
>>66667555
I have only a handful of musicals I care for.

Little Shop of Horrors
Something Funny Happened On the Way to the Forum
The Producers
Avenue Q
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Mouline Rouge
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
Muppet Christmas Carol

No movie of it yet but The Book of Mormon needs to be made into a movie. South Park has not been so good because the guys are burnt out on that musical. They put a fuck ton of effort into it and it really needs to be made into a movie.
>>
File: kevin kline pirate king.jpg (258 KB, 640x1059) Image search: [Google]
kevin kline pirate king.jpg
258 KB, 640x1059
>>
>>66669660
technically an opera. but gilbert and sullivan is pretty tops
>>
File: why dont you play in hell.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
why dont you play in hell.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>66669801
The line between a comic opera with spoken dialogue and a music is pretty thin but yeah
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.