[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a good protagonist? I think he sort of was until he became
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: johnboyega1.jpg (39 KB, 612x344) Image search: [Google]
johnboyega1.jpg
39 KB, 612x344
Was he a good protagonist?
I think he sort of was until he became a comic relief.
>>
>>66653435
shameful bump
>>
He made no sense from the get go. They try to have a deep "I don't want to kill" moment at the very beginning and then they immediately have him gunning down his friends. He was so broken up over his buddy being killed, but then he switches on a dime and slaughters as many as he can. I know people have been joking about it a lot, but it was pretty jarring. It made no fucking sense. Of course then he becomes comic relief and fades into the background.
>>
>>66653544
I assume he had no friends other than the guy who died. And since they're all brainwashed hitler youths and tried to kill him he fought back.
>>
He was until they decided to make him a fuckin joke.
>>
>>66653710
That also brings up the question of why wasn't he just as brainwashed? Doesn't he mention that they raised him?
>>
>>66653544

This. The movie's such a fucking mess.
>>
He wasn't the protagonist.
>>
>>66653812
He was.
>>
>>66653792
The Force did it.
>>
>>66653544
THIS
>>
When we learned the girl could do everything none of the characters really had a point other than Ren for villain motive
>>
>>66653710
>And since they're all brainwashed hitler youths
I have that Max Landis thing on in the background and he said it as soon as I read this. Spooky.
>>
>>66653544
Yeah but he would die if he was captured and revealed to be a traitor. He basically had no choice.
>>
>>66653435
Put him with Poe only and he'd be a better character. Could probably be himself. With Rey, he was basically irrelevant and sadly comic relief.
>>
>>66654432
>Put him with Poe only and he'd be a better character
They had great chemistry. No homo tho
>>
>>66653544
canon stories say he will be a loner and have only a few friends.
>>
>>66653544
Idk I figured it was more that he didn't wanna get captured again?

Either way it's not a bad movie. But not perfect
>>
>>66653792
He probably was, and slowly snapped out of it.

You see that shit all the time with cults.
>>
>>66653792
Yeah hux says they used state-of-the-art training to train the stormtroopers.
>>
>>66653435
He was a good protagonist for about 15 minutes.

Wasted potential.
>>
>>66653435
He couldn't be himself with Rey. Got distracted by wanting to get prime pussy. Probably couldn't tell who was a girl in his brainwashed stormie training.
>>
Is this on Bluray yet?

I don't want to pay money for shitwars
>>
>>66654737
Next week. There's apparently deleted scenes target only tho . So the fucking torrenters better buy from the right fucking store.
>>
File: 1457049028143.jpg (555 KB, 1024x1443) Image search: [Google]
1457049028143.jpg
555 KB, 1024x1443
>>66654737
>>
>>66653435

He became comic relief within moments of meeting Poe.

Honestly he should have stayed with the First Order until the next movie. He should have had a more 'My Empire Right or Wrong' approach until Phasma ordered him to do something terrible. Instead that happened within the first minutes of the fucking movie.

Goddamnit.
>>
>>66654780
lmao did they edit leia's face? it looks a lot less old than in the movie.
>>
>>66654737
April 1.
http://www.starwars.com/news/its-true-all-of-it-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-coming-home
>>
>>66653544
Yeah I didnt get why when he was given the lightsaber he immediately was killing other stormtroopers and shooting them.

It was bad direction from JJ sadly who obviously did not understand the character at all.

This is a time when Boyega or so should have said "wait hold on why is my character doing that, I would not act like that!". But it is hard for an actor to speak up against the director's decisions because by doing that you will put a bad image on your career: the director knows more than you as an actor - what my film lecturer teaches.

Even Hayden Christenson in a Star Wars interview said he was against the Padme, Anakin scenes cos he wanted to get atr8 to the point of Anakin turning to Vader but Lucas did not want this and so he HAD to follow his lead.

And people give Hayden sadly criticism when it wasnt his fault obviously. Actors have to follow orders by the director.
>>
>>66653435
Am I the only one who didnt believe he was comic relief? Sure he had some funny lines but he was deeply a serious character who just escaped from the new order and had a lot on his mind about his changing life.

Great acting scenes when he's shouting out to Rey as Kylo is taking her away
>>
>>66654808
yeah movie was too rushed. Still think Finn should've had a bigger role. If they hinted at his background/skills like they did with older trilogy characters(mainly from OT) instead of focusing on Rey, he would've been better.

But fucking Nostalgia. Rian will save us all.
>>
>>66654914
Comic relief doesn't necessarily mean being funny. It can mean they're trying to lessen the tension for other characters, the audience, or for themselves.
>>
>>66653544
You people are retarded

1. You have to be a genuine sociopath to not understand why someone might want to defect after seeing his unit slaughter dozens of innocent people

2. Phasma was gonna check his blaster and discover he didn't fire which would have been bad news for him

3. The stormtroopers were trying to kill him. What the fuck was he supposed to do? There's a difference between killing innocent people and killing people trying to kill you

You're all a bunch of fucking autists
>>
File: olveqx7nqatdrzpyh56h.jpg (62 KB, 800x459) Image search: [Google]
olveqx7nqatdrzpyh56h.jpg
62 KB, 800x459
>>66653435
I have much respect for Boyega as a person and actor. He challenged EA with a tweet asking about a story mode for battlefront.

Really surprised and happy he did that to those EA shit fucks.
>>
>>66654927
>yeah movie was too rushed
I hope JJ releases an extended cut including the entire sequence with Leia and visiting the new republic and whatever, or else I'll be pissed.
>>
>>66654974
Every movie needs an actor to lesson tension and serious scenes. It works well when done right.
>>
>>66655030
that's pretty based.
>>
>>66655030
kek, no voice work for him in EA games for 10 years
>>
>>66654984
>TFADF is this dumb

wow, I can't even, just wow
>>
>in a coma
>Rey went to do different thing with Luke
what's next in Finn's career as a resistance fighter?
>>
>>66655277

Wake up and start a gay relationship with Poe in order to earn JJ a Oscar for best picture
>>
>>66655152
He's In the Lego game. Probably wanted him to re-enact all his heavy breathing scenes from the trailers.
>>
>>66655277
Become a moisture farmer. Or manage a city with his uncle calrissian
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.