[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how is this? Always though Zemeckis was a bit of a hack desu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: contact.jpg (98 KB, 580x868) Image search: [Google]
contact.jpg
98 KB, 580x868
So how is this?

Always though Zemeckis was a bit of a hack desu but Jodie Foster is a 10/10 actress. Seems a bit like Interstellar except a real movie with blockbuster BS stripper away and less fedora tipping. Just hard sci-fi space exploration.
>>
>>66648574
Picture 1 1/2 hours of fucking nothing, followed by 10 minutes of excitement that ends with 10 minutes of disappointment
>>
>>66648574
Ending was a let down, because it left me wanting to know more. Bretty good tho
>>
>>66648574
It's like Interstellar but better and more emotionally resonant.

It's written by Carl Sagan so you know it's good.
>>
>>66648574
It's basically Fedora: The Flick.
Interstellar, despite trying as hard as it could, could not match the amount of Fedora Tipping in Contact.
>>
File: 1438986937794.jpg (14 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
1438986937794.jpg
14 KB, 388x500
>>66648709
>It's written by Carl Sagan so you know it's good.
>>
>>66648746

Could you reword your criticism without resorting to retarded meaningless memes?
>>
>>66648574

It's one of my dad's favorite movies. He likes Star Trek, 2001, and hates Interstellar, just to give you an idea how Contact is.
>>
>>66648773
He doesn't like it because it portrays religions in a bad light.
>>
File: lehat.png (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lehat.png
26 KB, 640x480
>>66648746
It's not even close. It concludes bowing to religion, with her retarded "spiritual experience".
>>
Why the fuck is the religion argument always brought up? Maybe it's because of where I was brought up (American North east) but nobody gave a shit. If we had confirmation of alien life tomorrow it would take probably a month at least before anyone even thought to care what the Vatcian thinks.
>>
Someone post the webm, so good.
>>
>>66648574
>Always though Zemeckis was a bit of a hack
Maybe. But a comfy as fuck hack. He's diet Ron Howard.
>>
>>66648574
Yeah I think that's a pretty good summary.

I'd give it a pretty solid 8/10 or 7.5. It held my attention the whole time.
>>
>>66648574
boring as fuck
>>
I cried
>>
>>66651458
Anti climactic maybe, but not boring.
>>
>>66651719
I fell asleep twice, nigga
>>
>>66651283
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is better than anything Howard ever directed, such a great fucking movie
>>
File: 1401500722461.jpg (49 KB, 486x486) Image search: [Google]
1401500722461.jpg
49 KB, 486x486
>>66648574
Contact has one of the best shots I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0_5HFMPIg
>>
It's basically what Interstellar wanted to be, but failed.

Surviving the black hole and the bookcase scene transmitting terrabytes of data via morse code to a Clock was too much even for a theist like me.
>>
>>66651803
Good point. I feel like an asshole now.
>>
>>66648709

Someone beat me to it. Interstellar is derivative both of 2001, but also most importantly, this movie.

-Both Interstellar and Contact feature a father and daughter who are separated by life, death, time, and the father inspires the daughter to go into science.
-Each movie's 'literal' journey entails moving through a wormhole.
-Each movie has a elderly benefactor who comes out of the blue and offers the hero a chance to ride on a spaceship.
-In each movie's climax, the central character (one of the father/daughter pair depending on the movie) has a deus-ex-machina un-scientific "metaphysical" interaction with the other. Or at least, with a being who appears to be the other.

Also Sagan and Thorne moved in the same circles, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was story-overlap from that, depending how well the two knew each other. TBaycH I don't know the exact details of how each story was originally drafted, however.
>>
>>66650710
The vatican has already commented on the possibly and basically said they don't care. Really none of the major world religions are threatened by the existence of aliens, if anything they'd be more interested in trying to convert them.

However there's a meme among atheist scifi writers that alien contact would absolutely destroy religion, and this movie has a lot of religious people reacting badly and a lot of drama surrounding the faith/science conflict, so it's going to be brought up whenever this movie is discussed.

That and the shitty fucking ending.
>>
girls love this movie
>>
>>66652068

oh, and in each movie, some version of this statement is true, in some sense:

"The aliens wuz us, all along!!"
>>
>>66648574
Good movie, go watch it.
>>
File: 1456628583026.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
1456628583026.png
433 KB, 360x408
>>66648574
> get a scheme of some device from the unknown aliens
>don't know what this device can do to your civilization and planet
>Let's build it!

Fucking lol. It may have been planetary sterilization device that would vipe out the entire human race. It could be a huge anti-mater transmitter that would annihilite our planet. Based Jihadi tried to stop them but they built it anyway on the taxpayers money.
>>
I thought it was pretty meh. Glad it's in my space movie collection, but I probably won't watch it very much.
>>
File: a good friend.jpg (57 KB, 486x431) Image search: [Google]
a good friend.jpg
57 KB, 486x431
>>66652141
>from a certain point of view
>>
>>66650710

But what if >aliens.jpg were like, "Hey, so, uh...we believe in God. Are you God? Do you know where we can find God? We believe in God."
>>
Honestly it's probably in my sci-fi top 5 and I don't give a fuck what you guys say.
>>
File: 1418771605729.webm (3 MB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
1418771605729.webm
3 MB, 600x250
>>
>>66652172
The book spends time going over that. They argue that if ayy lmaos were that advanced then they would be fucked anyways. Also the spirit of exploration and curiosity towards the unknown.

I think also the ruskies start building one so of course the US couldn't not ALSO build one. I think the russians give up. After the US one is sabotaged they scramble and start working with the russians to get their project working and you get former enemies working together for a common cause.

The whole point of the contact broadcast was to basically shock the species they contact. They're right at the technological tipping point, but if they can't work together then the young races are more likely to blow themselves up. So they give them a "project" that require the combined resources from all over the planet, and the smartest people and problem solvers to work on it. As a result world peace happens without anyone noticing, and upper middle class people retire to space stations when they hit their 60's.

The ayy lmaos are telling them not to kill themselves in their race to out-compete eachother, that they're part of a larger community than they could imagine.
>>
>>66648664
perfect summary.
>>
>>66652215
In the book they actually do. They tell Ellie that there are some things even they don't understand. They give her a hint about weird patterns they found in irrational numbers. In the epilogue she's running the telescope array like the movies, but she also has a bunch of super computers calculating pi as far as they can, eventually discovering what looked like an encoded message in the number itself.

The ayy lmaos basically said they don't know who did it, but they assume it was the builder of the universe.
>>
>>66650710
>Why the fuck is the religion argument always brought up?
Catholicism always contemplated existence of alien life(yes even in early Middle Ages).
Islam believes alien life exists(they have taken it from the Greek theory).
Mormons have alien life as part of their religion.
Buddhists are "of course it exists, now can I contemplate in peace?"
Virtually none of the major religions have problem with existence of aliens.
>>
File: aliens did it.jpg (180 KB, 1024x896) Image search: [Google]
aliens did it.jpg
180 KB, 1024x896
>>66652759
>Mormons have alien life as part of their religion.
Literally space jesus hangs out with indians.
>>
>>66652641
>spirit of exploration and curiosity
why would we assume that aliens have the same feeling as we do? Why would they assume the same thing about us?

>So they give them a "project" that require the combined resources from all over the planet
You know this idea is bullshit. It implies that all civilisations in the Galaxy go through the same stages in their developments. I don't think sapient ants would have the same problems as we do.
Thats a lot of good assumptions and zero suspicion. I gather lots of aliens will be fucking dorks and evil ffackers who care only about their own kind.
>>
>>66652940
Again, this is the book, but when they approach the "starbase" they see that it's covered in bay doors of all different sizes and designs. They talk about how they must have contacted all kinds of species of different sizes, shapes, habitats, you name it. Also the plans, while they had very detailed instructions on some things, also had plenty of blank spaces where they had to improvise and design on their own. So it's like a puzzle.

Not to mention they specifically target the systems they try to contact. The relay station in vega picked up hitler's broadcast, then sent a response message in a format you would have to actively be listening for. Even if the klingons manage to pool the resources of their planet, and interpret the plans, and then build the machine, they're still nowhere near powerful enough to even be a threat. The aliens that run the station are post singularity trans-human tier species that has a list of different things to tell different kind of species.

Basically to successfully manage to have the message sent, and then to pick it up, and then to interpret it, and then to build it, and then to get it to work, and then turn it on you have to pass through multiple filters that weed out shitty races.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.