[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gr8 movie nolan, but that's not how dreams work in real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: caprioFallsAsleepPart1.jpg (206 KB, 864x1280) Image search: [Google]
caprioFallsAsleepPart1.jpg
206 KB, 864x1280
gr8 movie nolan, but that's not how dreams work in real life

>mirrors don't actually work right in dreams
>falling asleep in a dream doesn't bring you "a layer down", it just makes you forget you're in a dream
>you don't need spinny things, you can just look at your own hands to check whether you're asleep

interstellar was better
>>
>>66645295

those are solid argument, it's my favourite film but iv never considered this fact before, what is your iq just wondering ?
>>
Interstellar is shit
Inception is a rip-off of Don Rosa's comic
>>
>>66645295
I don't know why they called it dreaming. It was more like the Matrix with all these rules.
>>
It doesn't matter whether it really works or not, the movie sucks because the dreams are boring. Why make a movie about entering the dreams of other people when it's nothing but hotels, warehouses and snow. Christopher Nolan has no imagination whatsoever
>>
>>66645613
I don't know what my iq is, I just dream a lot
>>
>>66645613
Underated
>>
>>66645295
Looking at my hands doesn't work for me, I find what breaks dream immersion is trying to write long blocks of text and being unable to read it back because I'm unable to render the exact words precisely in my handwriting in my mind.
>>
>>66645727
>Christopher Nolan has no imagination whatsoever
This. I enjoyed Dreamscape more.
>>
>>66645783
Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is under no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?
>>
This movie is awful
>>
Mirrors have worked in my dreams before now
>>
>>66645295
Paprika is better.
>>
>>66646037

overated
>>
>>66645295
Only someone as unimaginative and autistic as Nolan could take a concept like dream hopping only to apply redundant 'rules' to it in his quest to turn it into a generic action thriller.
>>
>>66645727
They specifically tailored the dreams to resemble the real life so the victim wouldn't know it was dreaming.
>>
>>66646191
Nolan placed that restriction on himself. Because only he would take this topic and apply a bad heist concept to it.
>>
>>66646077
Both are bad but for different reasons.
>>
>>66646191
Ridiculous

Normal dreams are pretty bizarre and yet while unconscious you'll accept almost anything. It's only when you wake up that you realize how unusual it was. Chris Nolan is either fucking lazy or just a boring individual.
>>
>>66645295

https://youtu.be/ginQNMiRu2w

Probably my favorite explanation. This movie is probably the smartest movie evet made but it goes over everyone's head
>>
>>66647649
>>66647649
I'm 12 minutes in.

Fuck.
>>
>>66647441
I don't know about anyone else, but the dreams I have almost always make sense and are like a fully detailed self contained world. Sure there are weird things sometimes, usually along the lines of a sci-fi or fantasy theme as part of the story of my dream, but even when I'm awake, my dream worlds might as well have been real because they were so detailed and vivid.
>>
>>66645295
>fake 'rules' about dreaming that sound like hiccup remedies

ok
>>
>>66648787
>that shit with Leo's totem working opposite to everyone else's
>>
>>66646172

kekked
>>
>>66647649
The author of The King's Speech used the monarch as his vehicle to tell his own story, he defeated his speech impediment, he won because he was a Jew.
>>
why can[t you guys admit Inception is a pretty good movie? I don't generally care for Nolan either but I really enjoyed inception.

It's a really nice looking movie, too.
>>
>>66645295
It's uhhh science fiction, sport.
>>
>>66645295
>hey guys I got it, let's make a movie about dreams that's so realistic it will bore the audience to tears.
>>
>>66646037
When did this pasta come about? I've never tasted it before today
>>
>>66650271
I don't think it's pasta
>>
>interstellar was better
Interstellar is one of Nolan's worst movies, stop trolling you pleb.
Just because your dreams aren't as vivid and intense that isn't proof of anything fag.
>>
>>66647649
Yeah all these fancy theory and philosophy is nice. But movie aren't about only that. Movies are about emotions, Inception is pretty good but shouldn't ever receive an oscar for Best Picture
>>
>>66646037
He calls it underrated because "nobody" replied to it. If people actually aknowledged/understood his point they would start to counter-attack it. He basically counter-trolled the troll, and it flew over some people's heads. So it actually IS underrated because id wasn't aknowledged.
>>
>>66646191
Direct quote from the movie:

>Our dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up we realize things were strange

So Nolan could LITERALLY have developed an intense fantasy world where you could imagine up nukes and shit, but since he has such a raging boner for "muh realism" he didnt.

>They specifically tailored the dreams to resemble the real life so the victim wouldn't know it was dreaming.

bullshit, according to the quote from the movie, the subject could literally be thrown into a world where up is down and black is white, and STILL not know he was dreaming until he woke up.

IMO, the challenge shouldnt have been the militarized projections, but the unpredictable nature of being caught in a normal dream vs. a lucid dream. In a lucid dream you have control over the environment but in a real dream you dont. Since Cilian Murphy wasnt lucid dreaming in the movie, the actual antagonist shouldve been the wild nature of the non-lucid dream.

Or at least thats how i wouldve done it
>>
>>66650362
It is now
>>
>>66645295
>>mirrors don't actually work right in dreams

Damn.

Now that I think about it, I've never my reflection in my dreams.
>>
>>66645295
These arguments are bullshit..

This is the kind of false logic you see on /x/ when they discuss dreams.
>>
>>66647649

Thanks, Anon. I hadn't seen that before.
>>
>>66650171

>/tv/ is a hivemind

Some like it, some don't.

Me, I think it's comfy as fuck.
>>
>>66650558

Except Sato knew he was dreaming because of the dream polyester carpet instead of it being a dream wool carpet. So I think black being white would have been easier to spot.
>>
File: joseph-gordon-levitt.png (207 KB, 323x636) Image search: [Google]
joseph-gordon-levitt.png
207 KB, 323x636
>>66645295
D R O P P E D
>>
>>66652144

>/pol/ twat

D R O P P E D
>>
>>66646037
I rate this post.
>>
Daily reminder that Memento was a genuine 10/10 movie and is by far Nolan's best work.
>>
>>66645295
>>falling asleep in a dream doesn't bring you "a layer down", it just makes you forget you're in a dream

I've had dreams where I 'wake' and know it's still a dream, and know I can't get out of dreaming. Then I think I've fallen 'back' to sleep, but it's still part of the dream, and when I not-wake again I still know/remember I'm dreaming.
>>
>>66652144
H O T H E A D
>>
>>66650271
I made it in July of last year, brings a tear to my eye seeing someone actually use it. I sound like a faggot.
>>
>>66651193
It's not bullshit, it's experience. Look up lucid dreaming, there's a lot of people who can remember dreams well and realize when they are in them.

The movie could've taken place in a setting similar to the Matrix, which could have multiple levels similar to our own reality inside each other with time dilation, but dreams aren't an alternate reality, they're dreams. They're so wildly different and simpler than our reality that, in a dream, once one becomes conscious of reality existing, it's impossible for one to doubt whether one is in a dream or in reality. Same happens when you wake up. There's no doubt you're in reality because dreams are clearly simpler. Yes, you could "wake up" from our reality, but that wouldn't make our reality a dream, it would only create a new type of reality, more complex than the one we're in right now. And once out there we wouldn't have a doubt about which one was more real, because one would be clearly inferior. It doesn't make sense to present dreams as modifiable copies of our own reality, and use that as one of the main axis of your movie.

It's impossible to have a concept of dream and reality without knowing which of the two is dream and which is reality.

Seriously loved the movie tho
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.