[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were their guns so weak and feeble?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 578x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 578x300
Why were their guns so weak and feeble?
>>
why were the gondor soldiers so shit in return of the king?
>>
>>66640281

Because someone believed they didn't need stopping power.
>>
Was this movie ironic or not?
>>
>>66640281
Why were they even fielding infantry at all?
>>
>>66640494
the movie suggests that affirmative action is wrong and that the asteroid was a false flag operation. pretty redpilled
>>
Why was Doogie Howser in the space SS?
>>
>>66640414
Because the film orcs were a lot stronger than the book ones to make the heroes seem more heroic.
>>
>>66640281
Why did they use the worst fucking rifles ever?
Why did they wear armor made of plastic and fiberglass?
Why did the government sends them in unprotected hordes against bugs that are fast as shit and can tear your limbs off in a matter of seconds?
Why doesn't anyone aim for the neural center like Neil Patrick Harris told them to?
Why the fuck do they OUTRIGHT attack them despite being smaller, weaker and more vulnerable to what they are attacking in the first place
Why the fuck do they constantly keep telling the group to split up and attack when that's just not how you do it in the slightest?

I think I understand why my father laughed so much at this movie, everything in it is wrong.
>>
Why didn't the eagles just fly to the bug planet and take the brainbugs?
>>
>>66640494
The movie is intended to mock militaristic culture while the book glorified it, to some extent
>>
File: image.png (445 KB, 588x428) Image search: [Google]
image.png
445 KB, 588x428
>>66640281
>5.56
>any year
>>
File: bugz.png (618 KB, 800x1143) Image search: [Google]
bugz.png
618 KB, 800x1143
>>66640281
Made by the lowest bidder.

>>66641193
>Why was Doogie Howser in the space SS?
Fascist states have little tolerance for the gays. Being in the party elite was his only defence.
>>
I don't get why they keep moving in closer to shoot the bugs, there is literally no reason to stand 3 feet away from a thing with razor limbs
>>
>>66640534

infantry are cheap cannon fodder and a nice roadblock so the real hard hitters can maneuver and do their work. It's just the way war is fought.
>>
>>66640281

Because they were basically using 5.7 ammo against giant bugs with hardened exoskeletons.
>>
Reminder that the only good bug is a dead bug.
>>
>>66640281
Because if the MI in the movie was actually a good representation of the MI in the book, then there wouldn't have been a movie because the movie bugs wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.
>>
>>66640281

Because it was a propaganda war and a way to cull the population.

The real question would be why did they build outposts?
>>
Why do militaryfags get so buttflustered whenever someone brings ST up? Is it because the movie shat on their ideal soldier-citizen fascist government?
>>
>>66642883
The rush?
>>
Wasn't the whole MI in the movies just an elaborate way to combat overpopulation with slaughtering some bugs being just a neat side-effect or was that just a dumb fan theory?
>>
>>66643030
the book bugs were getting BTFO also but they were still dangerous.

they had energy weapons and nukes and shit in the book and could definitely take out a MI armor if they the trooper fucked up and got too cocky.

i really wish someone would make a faithful adaptation of the book. the animu series didn't cut it.
>>
>>66643145
The movie didn't shit on anything, it was just satirizing the book.
I for one enjoy the movie for what it is, a satirical twist of the original, but it doesn't do a good job of representing the ideas espoused in the story. It focuses more on the action and gives some passing waves to the original with quotes, and for whatever reason changed the MI and the bugs to the point where the only thing they really share in common with their book counterparts is their respective species.
>>
>the Starship Troopers FPS
>everyone around you dies like a bitch while you're running straight the bug hordes that you slaughter by the hundreds, wearing power armor and being armed with a dozen machineguns, a ridiculously overpowered shotgun and a rapidfire rocketlauncher

That game had no right to be that fun.
>>
>>66640281
Why did their guns hold hundreds of rounds? Were they magic?
>>
>>66643527
I remember that game being cancelled? A quick google search shows IGN gave it a 3.8. I'm looking for some mindless shoot fest, so this might be it.

Any other thoughts on it?
>>
>>66643605
Heatsinks
>>
>>66643069
> way to cull the population.
Have bunch of people that believe in cause so much so that they are ready to die fighting massive bugs on desolate planets
Dude lmao lets kill them, they can become problematic
>>
>>66641318
>he <still> doesn't understand satire
You and your dad are idiots
>>
Wait, so you're telling me they were purposely equipped poorly so they'd all die to "cull the population?" Was the south American bug attack that wiped out that city also propaganda?

If so, that's bretty deep mang
>>
>>66644037
>He believes the bugs could accelerate that asteroid past lightspeed to fire it at Earth.
Buenos Aires was an inside job.
>>
>>66644022
Of course we understood it's satire or else we wouldn't have laughed so much during this movie, fuck I can't think of anything else now than that shitty fucking Rifftrax audio track, I seriously hope none of you listens to that shit.
>>
>>66641101

how does the movie reference affirmative action at all?
>>
>>66643850

But they are also the only ones allowed to breed. Note that Rico has shit test scores.
>>
>>66641318
>Why doesn't anyone aim for the neural center like Neil Patrick Harris told them to?

You've never fired a weapon before, have you? You're probably the same guy suggesting cops should just shoot criminals in the legs or that they should disarm criminals by shooting them in the wrist.
>>
>>66643663
Imagine a low budget mix of Serious Sam and Halo with bad voice actors, cutscenes ripped straight out of the first two movies, meh level design and an arsenal that consists of almost nothing but the same carabine with different add-ons.
But holy shit, being right in the middle of those battles (especially those that are smaller-scale versions of those from the movies) and blowing one bug after another to pieces is one hell of a feeling.
>>
Why is all gun in the future just a colt with a nerf around it?
>>
>>66644371
Yeah I know, but they don't even try most of the time
>>
>>66644371

How do cops manage to get shot? Why don't they just shoot the bullet out of the air before it hits them?
>>
>>66644371
Not to mention that a) those spots are tiny, b) Doogie Howser's bug was in a cage and c) no one would give a fuck about aiming when thousands of those would storm at you from all directions.

Doesn't explain those scenes were half a dozen marinse are shooting at one single bug for a couple of seconds, though.
>>
>>66643145

This book is actually a book they recommend you to read in officer training camp
>>
>>66644153

I think it was more likely that a random asteroid hit the Earth. The military government, rather than take responsibly for failing to prevent the strike, decided to blame it on the bugs and that starting a pointless war over it was better than looking weak.
>>
>>66644394
>>66643663
Oh, and that gun that blew up the small mountain in the final recruitment video?
That's your starting weapon.
>>
>>66644626
>Doesn't explain those scenes were half a dozen marinse are shooting at one single bug for a couple of seconds, though.

Because they weren't properly trained/equipped. They were just canon fodder until the higher-ups figured out wtf needed to be done.

The military industrial complex is not your friend. It does not care about you. It will send you to die on a whim and if you manage to make it back it will not look after you.
>>
>>66645060
>Because they weren't properly trained/equipped. They were just canon fodder until the higher-ups figured out wtf needed to be done.

I haven't watched the movie in ages but didn't the Roughnecks do the same shit?
>>
>>66641234
they still got nearly effortlessly slaughtered by the fellowship
>>
File: 1441565994475.jpg (11 KB, 221x225) Image search: [Google]
1441565994475.jpg
11 KB, 221x225
>ground war against bugs
>>
>>66640424
What gives a gun stopping power? You get arrested for having a cigarette lighter in my country
>>
>>66643527
Man I remember a starship troopers Sven Coop map that was my SHITTTT back in the day. You'd be in a tiny base with shit defenses and they'd just never stop spawning. Was awesome.
>>
>>66645219
because shooting shit is what we want to see. if the bug just died where is the fun in that
>>
>>66640281
They had fucking NUKES that could be fired from a rocket launcher and they still went with a ground war? Wouldn't they just launch cluster bombs filled with those nukes in a can?
>>
>>66645744
I think they just needed to lure them out of the ground
>>
>>66641193
Cuz he was psychic and shit yo.
>>
File: Aattp-alex-jones.jpg (34 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
Aattp-alex-jones.jpg
34 KB, 600x330
Daily reminder that Buenos Aires was an inside job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk
>>
>>66643145
Because OCS and ROTC have ST as recommended reading because it brings up moral questions in war. The movie was just satirizing the book and action.
>>
File: sweatingman.png (89 KB, 417x234) Image search: [Google]
sweatingman.png
89 KB, 417x234
>implying this wasn't one of the greatest military popcorn flicks of all time
>implying you didn't enjoy BASED BASIL's soundtrack
>implying you didn't get chills when you FALL BACK INTO THE COMPOUND.
>implying you didn't stand up and salute your TV when Watkins tried to be a hero.
>implying you didn't secretly want to live Rico's fantasy of having a hot chick follow you across the galaxy to fuck your brains out.
>implying you weren't impressed by the CGI that still holds up today.
>implying they won't remake this film and fuck it up royally

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
>>
>>66646084
Based Basil, truly the Miklos Rosza of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk
>>
Those rifles were probably super effective at subdueing the world into a one world government with that rapid fire and virtually zero recoil which in the movie had happend just like a decade begore.
>>
>>66645534

Not going full /k/ here. This is the simple explanation of guns.

First is the bullet. It has powder that pushes it forward. Better powder means faster bullet. Faster bullets are almost always better. 99% of the time.
Powder is held in place by a shell attached to bullet. That's the other thing that comes out of guns when you seem them shot.

Next is the bullet. Bullet is just a hunk of metal, but that metal determines weight and after effects when the bullet lands. That is more complex then you need to know. Bullet tip is also important. Mostly it works like this, Sharp tips are for going through things, Round tip for making craters in targets.

Gun determines how much powder you can have on the bullet, bullet size, and how far it can shoot.

Watch this guy for a simple understanding of bullets.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=C3fBkNIROg4
>>
>>66643278
The bugs had drastically inferior weapons to humans.

Rico goes into detail to explain that the biggest advantage the bugs had was numbers. They had legions of soldier eggs in storage ready to go on every world they controlled.
>>
>>66645802
Yup. The book explained how the bugs lived mostly underground and would just dig deeper if humans attacked from orbit.

Foot soldiers were the only way to actually fight them.
>>
>>66646294
Cheers mate
>>
>>66646294

I really don't know much about guns but when do you have to start worrying about ricochets? Obviously that dude with titanium didn't really care so is it strickly about the material you are shooting or does it have to do with the bullet as well.
>>
>>66646253

Indeed, sadly command didn't seem to know or care that the bugs simply didn't give a shit about suppressible fire and since a huge amount of infantry tactics requires it, rifled infantry almost instantly becomes useless and were just completely slaughtered as a result.

Really, what they needed was heavily armored tanks and probably why in the book the footsoldiers were clad in power armor

Also, how come anyone never mentions the interesting fact that the humans in the book seem to be emulating all the characteristics of bugs such as ants? I mean ants are the perfect model of a fully militarized/fascist society.

That humans even emulate the exoskeleton of the bugs trough power armor just seems to me to be a bit too odd a coincidence on Heinlein's part.
>>
>>66640281
>that part when Rico somehow switches to a shotgun and starts BTFO of bugs
>apparently everyone else was too retarded to do the same
>>
>>66646930

its both
>>
>>66646944
The exoskeletons were just a way for humans to go toe to toe with the bugs in the book.

As for the militarized society, the book was Heinleins way of venting about his time in the military. He was in the navy and realized from first hand experience that the military is run via organized chaos.

That's why there are so many sections about how badly organized militarizes of the past were and how the military government was good because it worked for them at the moment.
>>
>>66642943
It's a dumb obsolete form of combat like marching in line while the enemy snipes at you. Just nuke them from orbit.
>>
>>66646930

Riochets happen when the bullet hits a surface in such a way that the energy of the bullet does minimal transfer and it gets redirected or bounces. If bullet makes a full connection it either punctures it target and keeps going or it gets stopped. It stops under two conditions, it has run out of energy becuase contact with the air/dirt/wall/wood has slowed it.

Or it hits something that it can't penetrate, in which case it normally flattens or shatters, depending on the metal the bullets was made from. Fun fact, one of the bullets that hit Kennedy shattered against his bones and a chunk bounced out and hit the guy sitting in front of him.

Imagine your fist as a bullet. You punch through paper, your first keeps going. You punch through a panel wall, normally your fist gets really slowed but gets through. You punch brick and your fist gets shattered/flattened. Now imagine punching a steel pole. Normally your fist breaks, but sometimes you will hit the edge and your fist will get redirected. That's a richochet. They can happen with almost every gun and every type of bullet.

The plate he was shooting shattered the bullet, but it was straight on, so there was almost no chance of a ricochet. Unlike this dumbass who was shooting at rocks.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
>>
>>66646198

FTFY senpai
>HQ version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSuHACeorAs

You haven't lived until you've taken a shit to this song.
>>
>>66647482
One day pal, one fucking day.
>>
>>66647450

Minor correctiona. The both were shooting at metal targets. They were both shooting straight on, but the first guy could see his target was still angled upwards, to send it up in the rare case of a richochet, but the other guy's shifted downwards from the rocks it was propped against, so the bullet richocehted down towards the dirt and tumbled back towards him.

Minor correction. I forget people don't know what's happening in the video.
>>
They didn't need advanced equipment for oppression of civilians and deeply underestimate bugs. They have technologies like laser shown in the end, or mechs finally shown in Marauder. It only take some time before they could be mass produced.
>>
>>66641318
For one, the Morita is actually a fucking beast at killing things that aren't super heavily armored fast moving stapler remover monsters. They fire full retard .308, with a very large magazine, along with an underslung shotgun.
For everything else, the government doesn't give a single shit about the lives of its people. The only people who count are people who have finished their federal service and became citizens. The less people to survive, the less people in the veteran ruling class.
>>
File: 1430848078114.jpg (80 KB, 780x792) Image search: [Google]
1430848078114.jpg
80 KB, 780x792
>>66640281
It's the point of the movie, which is very left-wing. The military is just a meat grinder and the illusion that humans can easily beat the bugs is propaganda
>>
>>66644396
It's a Ruger you retarded ape
>>
>>66645616
that shit was dope
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.