[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, I find it hard to believe anybody can actually enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: the_tree_of_life_poster04.jpg (342 KB, 990x1400) Image search: [Google]
the_tree_of_life_poster04.jpg
342 KB, 990x1400
Memes aside, I find it hard to believe anybody can actually enjoy this from a non pretentious, authentic place
>>
>>66619812

its hilarious to see the plebs flounder and bash a film that they can't understand. You really shouldn't be posting in a film and television board if you can't even get the intricacies of a Malick film. fucking kill yourself pleb
>>
>>66619995
Explain it to me then in a language I'll understand. They say a patrician is one who can explain shit to plebs
>>
>>66619995
it's hilarious to see the faux patricians pretending to love such pretentious bullshit just to feel superior, juste like you did

>>66619812
it's just shit OP, just look at this video, doing a Maflick is really simple in fact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YurPCYy072U
>>
I watched this while on lsd and don't remember a thing besides being bored.
>>
>>66619995
THIS. Plebs need to fuck off. They only understand capeshit and other blockbuster trash.
>>
Why was Brad Pitt so abusive in this film?
>>
>>66620061
>>66620349

stick to capeshits or michael bay movies, this one is too advanced for you
>>
>>66620349
Alright, that parody was pretty good. Fucking btfo's Malickfags and their >muh imagery
>>
>>66619995
I agree with this, people like OP are the reason movies like EWS are low rated while deadpool has a fucking 8.5 or something
>>
>>66620464
Because he was a disciplined father who cared about his sons' future.
>>
>>66620061
It's as explainable as life is explainable. It's a celebration of everything that ever was or will be.
>>
I don't know. I just like it
>>
>>66620464

I'm not sure I understand the question. Some fathers treat their children that way. Pitt isn't that atypical as a demanding man who is clearly frustrated by his own career inadequacies and is taking it out on his family to some extent.

>>66619812

OP I couldn't agree more. Every time I watch that movie I cry and find myself deeply, deeply moved just as I do by most Malick movies. It is a penetratingly intimate look at a family that is extremely resonant in its depictions of the things that provoke tension and love amongst family members. It is remarkably beautiful.

It bums me out that people not all that into film see Malick movies and think they're some meaningless abstract, pretentious thing when I think they're all just very deeply felt movies made in a unique way. I genuinely feel sad for people who can't get anything out of Malick movies and just dismiss them as crap for artsy types. They're not that at all.
>>
>>66621159

oops, meant to say "I couldn't disagree more"
>>
>>66621159
>I genuinely feel sad for people who can't get anything out of Malick movies

The OP asked for a non-pretentious opinion.
>>
>>66621305

that's not meant to be pretentious

Malick movies offer so much of spiritual worth that it actually saddens me that people can't seem to access that

if they don't like them that's fine but it does actually make me sad that they can't get anything out of them because they're incredibly helpful, optimistic movies
>>
>>66621159
This is exactly how I feel. I understand not liking Malick's movies, but to call them pretentious? Tree of life is one of the most sincere and intimate films I've seen. I don't "pretend" to like it to seem cool. I didn't pretend to dry after I watched it the first time. I too feel sorry for anyone that doesn't like Malick. Not in a "sorry for your shit taste" way, because that's not true. Your thoughts on Malick either way don't determine your taste. I do feel sorry, though, for anyone who can't connect emotionally to a movie as I have with Malick movies. It doesn't even have to be a movie from him. But it makes no sense to me that someone could despise him so greatly, to dismiss him so vilely. It seems you're the one with bad taste if you can spew such bullshit about him, to claim and truly believe his films have no artistic merit and anyone moved by them have been "duped".

Slightly unrelated, I've never understood complaints about his movies by people that don't hate Malick, but have seen one film in particular from him that they didn't like. "It's just shots of grass" The Thin Red Line was my first Malick film and I was blown away, because I expected to be bored. It was extremely emotional, and had perfectly executed action sequences. "There wasn't a plot" True for Tree of Life, if you watched only the first thirty minutes. I enjoyed the creation part, but the greatest part was the story of the family and its relationship between its members as much as their relationships with spirituality. I can't help but feel that those who hold Malick with such contempt have only seen a few of his movies, and only tried to get very little out of them.
>>
>>66621159
Downloading right now. If I don't cry or at least get teary eyed I'm going to be disappointed in you.
>>
>>66620349
Tree of Life is my favorite film, but I laughed at this. It had just as much validity as any movie Malick has made. It was very well done.

But anyone who uses it as an argument against Malick movies is operating under the assumption that his films are empty; that they have nothing to say. This is so incredibly false. I understand the video was empty, it's ""plot"" had nothing to say, but it didn't have to, it was a parody. It's emptiness made it funny. But the same cannot be said of Malick films. Just because you got nothing out of them doesn't mean there wasn't anything to get
>>
>>66621607
Not him, but no specific scene in it made me cry. It was only after it finished and the credits started rolling that the tears came.
>>
>>66621607

hope you like it, try to watch it on a big screen with loud speakers if you can
>>
>>66621446
>>66621393
Jesus christ, pretentious people really don't see how pretentious they are.

The Tree of Life was a simple story wrapped up in a veneer of art house imagery. Yeah, I got the point of the images and the story. Guess what? I wasn't impressed. It's not because I was intentionally being obtuse, it's because I didn't get any meaningful insights into the patriarchal family structure of the mid 20th century.

Jessica Chastain floating in the air. Woo~ Yeah, I get it, Malick, it's symbolic about her character.

Also, I'm not some capeshit fag who asks for plot. I can appreciate visual storytelling but this is just a lazy powerpoint of Malick connectings images and movements of the characters to construct a basic coherent story. It's like I'm watching Tumblr gifs at this point.
>>
>>66619812
Even if we take TTOL for it's parts it's extremely watchable : beautiful shots of nature, asmr-tier whispers, classical music and cosmic shots.

The part that can only be appreciated for it's narration purposes is the dinosaurs part and I will give you that, it's really hard to watch.

Saying that you can't watch TTOL is like saying that you can't just sit and appreciate the nature for a couple of hours : it's cool if you are not in that place yet but if you will never be there you will be missing out on a lot.
>>
>>66621717
Oh, just to clarify, this movie is still better than most commercial indie movies and has some worth. I'm just being very negative to contrast your guys' points.
>>
>>66621717

again, I'm not saying anything about you not being able to connect to Malick relating to your taste. if you can't get into him and dislike him that's all well and good, I just think it's a little saddening that you can't take anything from the movies. and it saddens me that Malick made Tree of Life from an extremely personal place and as a means of at least partly dealing with the death of his brother and all people like you can seem to think about him is that he's a wannabe artist. it's too bad that you can't connect to the extremely powerful emotional core of Malick's filmmaking.

you're the only one being pretentious in here mate

"Malick is just like tumblr gifs lmao stupid bullshit"
>>
This is why we need a separate films boards. Plebs are just too stupid to even get a Malick is astounding. Watching too much capeshit ruined you.
>>
>>66621717
That's completely fair. I've always believed that Tree of Life was the type of movie that, unless the story clicked with you, you wouldn't enjoy as much. I grew up in Texas, played hide and seek dodgeball with my brother and neighbors, and grew to respect the hell out of my dad. I'm also a sucker for classical music. So, really, that makes ToL the ultimate movie for me. It resonated in many many levels. My least favorite part of the movie is the reunion scene at the end, when the visual imagery gets really over the top. I've always seen this movie as voiceovers and certain symbolic things as secondary to the story. I don't mind them, but they're not the end all be all of cinematic expression. So, it really boils down to how much you liked the story being told, not whether or not "you got Malicks philosophy and visual genius". I totally disagree that the movie is a "lazy PowerPoint", but you didn't care for the story, which is completely fine.

I'm >>66621446 btw, just so you know who you're discussing with.
>>
enough fighting. post your favorite shot from the movie
>>
Here in Europe we have many Mallicks. Every country has a few because having vague feels and trying to replicate them through imagery is not that hard + it gets you easy art points
>>
>>66621846
T H I S
H
I
S
FILM BOARD WHEN
>>
>>66622275
I don't consider Malick's feels or messages to be vague
>>
>>66622008
Maybe that's why the images didn't resonate with me because I didn't have that upbringing. But I feel like the work of the filmmaker is to bring the viewer into the world of his movie. The great filmmakers erases the line of immersion until the viewer is completely resonating with the film.

Like the other anon said, it's a deeply personal film of Malick, and it's a sort of stream of consciousness as he thinks about how he came to be in this point in space and time and what his life means.

But the way the movie was edited just completely put me off. Like it was putting up a distance. And I didn't like the voice over by Chastain or Pitt, who were basically giving tips to the viewers so they can kind of get a grip on the film.
>>
I loved it. For me, I found the narrative super relatable on an existential level, and I loved the way he framed memories and the passage of time.

Made me feel less alone in the questions, anxieties, etc. I have about life.

Do you guys who hate this film/malick like HHH? I can't stand that chink fuck. I just can't connect to it at all
>>
File: 1451260855522.jpg (44 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1451260855522.jpg
44 KB, 479x720
>>66619995
>a film that they can't understand

>They just can't understand it
*tips fedora*
>>
>>66622348
All good points. What are your thoughts on his other movies, especially The Thin Red Line? It's my second favorite Malick. It's just as ethereal, for lack of a better word, but the editing is much different, much more grounded. I'll admit this movie isn't without its flaws; the editing hell it went through definitely caused many actors of the ensemble cast to be random and distracting. I think the battles are impeccable though, and it's undoubtedly a gorgeous film. Again, I could take or leave the voiceovers, but I still find it a very powerful film.
>>
Tree of Life is inauthentic cinema.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.