[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
actual discussion about Drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: drive.jpg (10 KB, 219x329) Image search: [Google]
drive.jpg
10 KB, 219x329
What is it about this movie that makes it so good and/or memorable? In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty by-the-numbers story and there really isn't anything extraordinary going on with the cinematography. Maybe contradicting the badass protagonist trope by having a guy who literally says nothing at all is part of it. But honestly the more I think about it, I think it's because it's more of a music video than anything else. Most of the movie is staged as if it were a smaller story centered around the music in the background instead of vice versa. The music takes centerstage and renders everything else secondary. Which isn't a slight against the film, it's actually pretty cool and original.

Can I get some thoughts on this by somebody more articulate than myself?
>>
>>66617017
Wanna fight?
>>
File: 112828282789328.jpg (36 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
112828282789328.jpg
36 KB, 736x414
>>66617158
>that's the only response I get
>>
It was stylish, had memorable scenes (especially one in the elevator) and I love that it led a sort of 1980s music revival, but didn't like the film itself. The plot just felt hollow and pointless, just a retelling of an unpleasant sequence of events. It was like Coen brothers film having a cocaine withdrawal.
>>
File: Le Samourai .jpg (134 KB, 540x811) Image search: [Google]
Le Samourai .jpg
134 KB, 540x811
>>66617017
You can't understand Drive if you haven't watched the other Le Samourai movies. It's just not really for plebs.
>>
>>66617623
I've seen The Driver. Is that good enough?
>>
File: nah.jpg (71 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
nah.jpg
71 KB, 900x900
>>66617706
it's a good start, anon! very good.
>>
>>66617017
Tension and Buildup
>>
It's memorable because we can all relate to the autistic driver. If you go ask any normie about this movie they will probably not even know what the fuck you're talking about even if they've seen it.
>>
File: yeah.jpg (8 KB, 236x276) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
8 KB, 236x276
It's the style and neo-noir narrative I like the most.

Also, Only God Forgives is nowhere near as good as Drive, but the style that made Drive great is elevated to an artform. Probably the greatest cinematography put to film in decades.
>>
>>66617946
This is probably true.
>>
>>66618186
nah, it's not. normies remember Drive fondly.
>>
>>66618264
Normies pretend to understand it. It's kinda like those "Films Women Will Never Understand" things.
>>
>>66617017
autists feel they can relate to the main character

thats literally it
>>
But, it's neither good nor memorable.
>>
>My hands are a little dirty
>So are mine
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>66618563
You have to wash your hands every time you go #2.
>>
>>66618366
Woman and normies will never understand our profound samourai loneliness.

>>66618563
That they are both men of the law-abiding variety I'd presume.
>>
The simplicity of the story line and characters are a big part of what contributes to the fairy tale quality of the movie. The soundtrack along with the casting of Gosling and Carey Mulligan as well as Refn's direction are also crucial. With a different director, different actors, and different soundtrack, the movie might have been a relatively entertaining crime thriller, but it wouldn't have been much more than that. It's all these factors together that make it so good.

One of the things I like most about the movie is that the characters aren't complicated. Their relationship isn't at all based on shared interests, emotional compatibility, or any of the hallmarks of modern relationships. Gosling falls for Cary Mulligan because she's cute, warm, and vulnerable. It's pure physical attraction coupled with the male need to protect. She likes him because he's handsome and mysterious and projects a kind of competence and stoic self-assuredness. That's it. They don't really talk. We don't know much about them. But we know how they feel because of how they look at one another and the sort of unspoken understanding that we can read in their expressions and knowing glances. Although their relationship is based entirely on what many people would consider shallow characteristics, it's not portrayed as being at all empty or unmeaningful. It recalls the kind of relationships you see in myth and popular fiction between the knight and the princess he saves from the dragon, or the western hero and schoolmarm he saves from the bandits/Indians/etc. You see similar relationships portrayed in modern films, but there's rarely any self-awareness or understanding behind it (they're just copying popular tropes without understanding why they exist), so the connection between the protagonist and the heroine in these films is never conveyed effectively .
>>
>>66619316
hello rodrigo
>>
>>66619316
hello male rat-o
>>
>>66619316
i drive
>>
>>66618366
>Normies pretend to understand it.
What's there to understand? The movie was rather simple.
>>
>>66617017
>there really isn't anything extraordinary going on with the cinematography
Are you serious? Drive is a gorgeous looking film. Refn is a master of cinematography.
>>
>>66619316
hello rat-o
>>
>>66619316
Hello Rato -
>>
>the soundtrack

That's literally it.
>>
>>66618522
Capeshitter detected.
>>
So am I.
>>
>>66617017
>named Drive

>hardly any driving scenes
>>
>It recalls the kind of relationships you see in myth and popular fiction between the knight and the princess he saves from the dragon, or the western hero and schoolmarm he saves from the bandits/Indians/etc.
Good observation.
>>
>>66621954
meant for
>>66619258
>>
>>66619316
hello rato!
>>
REAL
>>
>>66617017
Sound track, aesthetic approach and neon colors, well choreographed action and cinematography and it gave viewers something they wanted but hadnt exactly had in a while:
A classic brando/dean-esque out law hero who plays by his own rules and can kill people with his bare hands and do dope shit like drive cars well
>>
>>66621954
>Good observation.
Not really, Refn has always said Drive is a fairy tale.
>>
>>66619258
>Their relationship isn't at all based on shared interests, emotional compatibility, or any of the hallmarks of modern relationships. Gosling falls for Cary Mulligan because she's cute, warm, and vulnerable. It's pure physical attraction coupled with the male need to protect. She likes him because he's handsome and mysterious and projects a kind of competence and stoic self-assuredness. That's it.

am I retarded for feeling that this is the best and most natural type of relationship

I just want a cute smile to protect not someone I can talk to about post modernism
>>
ACTUAL HUMAN BEAN
C
T
U
A
L

H
U
M
A
N

B
E
A
NAEB NAMUH LAUTCA
>>
Where can I find a good torrent for this? All I can find is yify trash and I can't take it anymore
>>
>>66617017
>>66617459
>>66617706
>>66617864
>>66617955
>>66618495
>>66618522
>>66619258
>>66620262
>>66621619
>>66622126
NORMIES AND REDDITORS: FUCK. OFF!!!!!
You'll never understand this movie stop pretending or trying to. And stop watching it

>>66618366
This guy gets it
>>
Who cares, OGF is better
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.