[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OSCAR 2017
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: The Oscars.jpg (546 KB, 2469x1755) Image search: [Google]
The Oscars.jpg
546 KB, 2469x1755
Early contenders.

THE FOUNDER (John Lee Hancock)
>Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a milkshake dispensers salesman, strikes a partnership with the McDonald brothers to help turn their fledging restaurant into the world's biggest fast-food chain, only to steal it for himself.

THE LIGHT BETWEEN THE OCEANS (Derek Cianfrance)
>Lighthouse keeper Tom Shebourne (Michael Fassbender) and his wife Isabel (Alicia Vikander) find a lost child adrift in the ocean and decide to raise her as their own. Years later, the girl's biological mother, Hannah Roenfeldt (Rachel Weisz), arrives in search of her lost daughter, threatening the turn their family apart.

SULLY (Clint Eastwood)
>American airline pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks) unexpectedly becomes a national hero after valiantly landing the troubled US Airways Flight 1549 full of passengers on the Hudson River.

SNOWDEN (Oliver Stone)
>Edward Snowden (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), an American computer professional affiliated with the National Security Agency, leaks classified information to The Guardian newspaper in June 2013, causing an international scandal.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (Tate Taylor)
>Rachel Watson (Emily Blunt) is a recovering alcoholic that rides the train to London every day to spy on her ex-husband Tom (Justin Theroux), who has left her for another woman, Anna (Rebecca Ferguson). Along the way, Rachel becomes obsessed with the neighboring couple, Scott and Megan Hipwell (Luke Evans and Hayley Bennett), who appear to have a perfect marriage. However, Megan disappears shortly after Rachel witnesses a fight between the couple, and Rachel begins to suspect that something horrible has happened, and begins to lose her grasp on reality as evidence indicate she might have been involved.
>>
A MONSTER CALLS (Juan Antonio Bayona)
>Connor (Lewis MacDougall) is a a young boy who attempts to deal with his mother’s illness and the bullying of his classmates by escaping into a fantastical world, where he interacts with a mythical monster (Liam Neeson) who teaches him about mortality.

BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK (Ang Lee)
>In 2005, 19-year-old Billy Lynn (Joe Alwyn) enlists to become an infantryman in the United States military. During a leave, he is awarded a chance to return to his hometown in Dallas, Texas, for a few hours before returning to Iraq, where he reconnects with old friends and attempts to make amends with his estranged family.

LION (Garth Davis)
>A five-year-old Indian boy gets lost on the streets of Calcutta, thousands of kilometers from home. He survives many challenges before being adopted by a couple in Australia; 25 years later, he sets out to find his lost family.

COLLATERAL BEAUTY (David Frankel)
>A tragic event sends a New York advertisement executive Howard Inlet (Will Smith) on a downward spiral.

PASSENGERS (Morten Tyldum)
>A spacecraft transporting thousands of people in suspended animation to a human colony on a distant planet has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result, a single passenger, Jim Preston (Chris Pratt), is awakened 90 years early. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he eventually decides to wake up a second passenger, Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence), for whom he falls in love. However, when Aurora learns the truth of his actions, things spiral out of control.

MENA (Doug Liman)
>In 1986, commercial pilot Barry Seal (Tom Cruise) becomes involved in a massive drug smuggling operation out of the small town of Mena, Arkansas, which attracts the attention of the CIA, the DEA and the Mendelín drug cartel, only to slowly spirals out of control as the lines between his private life and his illegal activities become blurred.
>>
>>66611269
How are films that arent even out yet considered early contenders? Fuck off.
>>
HIDDEN FIGURES (Todd Melfi)
>Katherine Johnson, Mary Jackson, Dorothy Vaughan, Kathryn Peddrew, Sue Wilder, Eunice Smith and Barbara Holley, a group of African-American female mathematicians, struggle with issues of civil rights and gender equality while working as consultants for the NASA at the height of the Space Race between the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War, in which their contribution are instrumental to the succesful launch of the Friendship 7 space mission.

THE MOUNTAIN BETWEEN US (Hany Abu-Assad)
>Two troubled strangers, Ben Payne (Charlie Hunnan) and Ashley Knox (Rosamund Pike), survive a plane crash in the Colorado woods and are forced to rely on one another for survival, eventually falling in love.

DOWNSIZING (Alexander Payne)
>A businessman (Matt Damon) overwhelmed by his responsabilities volunteers for a scientific procedure called "Downsizing", in which he's reduced to a fraction of his original side and relocated to a community of other reduced people, where he can start life anew.
>>
>>66611269
>SNOWDEN (Oliver Stone)

That documentary that came out in 2014 was enough. Fucking Hollywood, Snowden will become the new Steve Jobs at this rate.
>>
>>66611572
Oscar-friendly movies are easy to spot.
>>
>>66611269
>SULLY (Clint Eastwood)
>>American airline pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks) unexpectedly becomes a national hero after valiantly landing the troubled US Airways Flight 1549 full of passengers on the Hudson River.

Can he just do one last acting role and retire? His directed films are usually hit or miss, miss being a high percentage
>>
>>66612199
fuck off, Clint is the director of my heart.
>>
In light of recent events, the award for best picture goes to Tyler Perry's Boo! A Madea Halloween
>>
>>66611504
Spaniard here, i don't know how will be the respone on the United States, but the Bayona's name here means hype, at least here will be the most sucessful movie of this year.
>>
>>66611504
>a mythical monster (Liam Neeson)
>>
THE MODERN OCEAN IS GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING
>>
>>66612408
EVIAN
BOTTLE
>>
I'm excited for a lot of these, especially Mena. Should be a good year.
>>
>>66612436
I'm pretty sure that comes out in late 2017, it'll only be eligible for the 2018 Oscars.
>>
>>66611582
>African-American female mathematicians

Okay that's the best picture then.
>>
>>66612199
His last flick was pretty bad so this one might be good.
>>
>>66612472
>late 2017

What the fuck has he been doing all this time? It's been 3 years since UC.
>>
File: martin-silence1.jpg (54 KB, 656x343) Image search: [Google]
martin-silence1.jpg
54 KB, 656x343
>SILENCE
an upcoming historical drama film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Jay Cocks, based upon the novel of the same name by Shusaku Endo. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano, and Ciarán Hinds. It is anticipated to be released in 2016.
>>
Can someone post the gay DiCaprio Auschwitz one?
>>
File: Reichardt.jpg (22 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Reichardt.jpg
22 KB, 360x240
>>66612436
Neither of these will win shit because lobbying for nominations requires money and Carruth is a broke motherfucker.
>>
>>66611582
>downsizing
jesus christ my sides
>>
>>66611582
>DOWNSIZING (Alexander Payne)
>>A businessman (Matt Damon) overwhelmed by his responsabilities volunteers for a scientific procedure called "Downsizing", in which he's reduced to a fraction of his original side and relocated to a community of other reduced people, where he can start life anew.

Masterpiece incoming.
>>
File: leo.jpg (25 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
leo.jpg
25 KB, 300x400
>The Sound of Life (2016)
Directed by Steven Spielberg.

During World War II, Noah, a closeted homosexual Jewish musician, is sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp for challenging the Nazi party, and dedicates himself to protecting a young prisoner, Sira, while also reconnecting with his childhood friend Hugo, now a Nazi soldier also struggling with his homosexuality. As the Holocaust looms, Noah decides to write a final piece to leave as his legacy.

>Leonardo DiCaprio as Noah.
>Alexander Skarsgard as Hugo.
>Lupita N'yongo as Sira.
>Daniel Day-Lewis as Hiram, Noah's abusive father.
>Meryl Streep as Ana, Noah's absent mother.
>Cate Blanchett as Monica, Noah's suffering sister.
>Eddie Redmayne as Herschel, Noah's awkward assistant.
>Chiwetel Ejiofor as Leroy, Sira's husband.
>Tilda Swinton as Adolf Hitler.
>>
File: 4moicp9qweqm4g5cgyt91jlc0.jpg (38 KB, 652x408) Image search: [Google]
4moicp9qweqm4g5cgyt91jlc0.jpg
38 KB, 652x408
HACKSAW RIDGE (Mel Gibson)

Best Picture, Best Director
>based
>>
>>66612710

>During World War II, Noah, a closeted homosexual Jewish musician, is sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp for challenging the Nazi party, and dedicates himself to protecting a young prisoner, Sira, while also reconnecting with his childhood friend Hugo, now a Nazi soldier also struggling with his homosexuality. As the Holocaust looms, Noah decides to write a final piece to leave as his legacy.

>Lupita N'yongo as Sira.
>Ralph Fiennes as Adolf Hitler.
>>
>>66612881
I'd watch it for tilda.
>>
>>66611504
>PASSENGERS (Morten Tyldum)
>>A spacecraft transporting thousands of people in suspended animation to a human colony on a distant planet has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result, a single passenger, Jim Preston (Chris Pratt), is awakened 90 years early. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he eventually decides to wake up a second passenger, Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence), for whom he falls in love. However, when Aurora learns the truth of his actions, things spiral out of control.
UPVOTE!
>>
>>66612926
O S C A R B A I T
>>
File: ayy.jpg (36 KB, 304x366) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
36 KB, 304x366
>>66612926
>Ralph Fiennes as Adolf Hitler
>>
>>66612881
>>66612926

>During World War II, Noah, a closeted homosexual Jewish musician, is sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp for challenging the Nazi party, and dedicates himself to protecting a young prisoner, Sira, while also reconnecting with his childhood friend Hugo, now a Nazi soldier also struggling with his homosexuality. As the Holocaust looms, Noah decides to write a final piece to leave as his legacy.

>Lupita N'yongo as Sira.
>Channing Tatum as Adolf Hitler.
>>
>>66612881
>>66612926
>>66613116

>Lupita N'yongo as Sira.
>Eddie Redmayne as Herschel, Noah's transsexual assistant.
>Norm MacDonald as Adolf Hitler.
>>
File: jjl.jpg (41 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
jjl.jpg
41 KB, 618x412
Jennifer Jason Leigh could finally win for portraying Lady Bird Johnson in LBJ.

A wife of the president in a biopic? Oscar pretty much locked.
>>
>STORY OF YOUR LIFE
Taking place after alien crafts land around the world, an expert linguist is recruited by the military to determine whether they come in peace or are a threat.
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Writers: Ted Chiang (short story), Eric Heisserer (screenplay)
Stars: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Michael Stuhlbarg

I'm sold tbqhwyf
>>
don't forget The Jungle Book (Jon Favreau)
>>
>Michaeal Keaton
Fuck. He better win for this.
Sadly the Oscars have been fully cucked by the #oscarssowhite retards and they'll just give out white guilt awards from now on.
>>
I genuinely thought these were made up meme films based on tropes and starring vogue actors
>>
File: 1456875920894.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1456875920894.gif
3 MB, 200x150
> mfw oscars 2017 will have at least one black person in each category nominated even though they were shitty movies/performances
>>
>>66614741
It's gonna be so fucking obvious.
>>
>>66612881
>a closeted homosexual Jewish
>Auschwitz concentration camp
>Steven Spielberg

now, THAT's Oscar bait
>>
>>66614741
>even though they were shitty

That happens every year regardless of race
>>
>>66612199
The real question is, how do you make a feature length movie about a plane almost crashing but doesn't?
>>
>>66611269
>>66611269

What about The Anvil Hoarder (2016)? They're saying it's gonna sweep.
>>
>>66614741
Next year, and the nominated for Best Picture are: Soul Plane 2, Madea's Family Barbecue, Untitled Kevin Hart Comedy, and Untitled Spike Lee Joint
>>
>>66612987
Yes, this one seems the best of the bunch to me too
>>
>>66611269
im not going to read every post to see if someone else has said this or not, but if anyone thinks that there arent going to be at least 2 black people nominated for every category next year, you are a fucking idiot. they'll cancel the oscars if its all white again. i wouldnt be surprised if a black woman won 'best actor' next year.
>>
>>66611269
The Founder was moved from its Thanksgiving date, which Weinstein has released its main awards contender on for the past two years, to August 5th. My guess is that they want to take the film wide, but a platform might work out there (it worked for SPC-released Grandma this past year). I'm still really looking forward to the film but that date doesn't seem like one Weinstein would put their most favored production (as a matter of fact, Lion was moved into the Thanksgiving date instead).

I've seen people worry about the release date of Labor Day weekend for Light Between Oceans, as it is commonly considered a dumping ground with low-grossing new titles. If Disney/Dreamworks do plan to push it, expect to see the film show up at Cannes but if we don't see it there the project might not be good enough or just too saccharine for the Academy's taste.

Sully has a bit better chance than Oceans but coming out just one week after Labor Day dumping isn't that promising either. Eastwood directing helps keep it promising as does Hanks, but don't get hopes up too much for this one.

Rumor is that Snowden will show up at Cannes this year but the film has been pushed back from its 2015 Christmas opening to May 13th to now Sept. 16th. This past Christmas was a crowded date months in advance so moving it back wasn't that alarming when it was announced, and moving it back once again into fall seems more promising for Open Road's hope for awards for the film.

The Girl on the Train is hoped to tap into Gone Girl's genre-approval that got Pike a Best Actress nom. With the never-nominated but consistently good Emily Blunt leading, it'll work or it won't, not much else to look deeply into.

A Monster Calls has promising source material. Will probably see this on the fall circuit.
>>
>>66616394
Halftime Walk is hotly anticipated from most sites placing early guesses for next year's Oscars and I could see Ang Lee stopping by Cinemacon this year to show off the 120fps technology he used to shoot the film similar to when Cameron stopped by to show off early footage from Avatar way back when. Fall festivals are also likely for this one, especially with its November release giving it time to appear at Telluride, Venice, Toronto, New York, London and/or AFI Fest

I don't know much about Lion other than Weinstein giving it their prized Thanksgiving launching pad

Collateral Beauty had constant shakeups in cast and director in the past 6 months but the fact that people kept stepping in is very promising for the strength of the script behind it. Warner's is pitting this against Star Wars Rogue One which will be interesting.

Passengers is definitely promising but the folks over at The Playlist said they have read the script and said it seems too hard sci-fi for the Academy and comes off as more of a commercial play. That being said, they said not to count out JLaw.

Mena is currently dated for January of 2017 which would make it non-qualifying for the 89th Oscars unless a platform release is given, which does seem unlikely for Cruise and I'd imagine would be the first for him since maybe Magnolia. That being said, Universal has been doing test screenings already and this could easily have its date bumped into 2016 proper.

Hidden Figures is a good contender if they can finish filming it in time.

Hunnam dropped out of Mountain Between Us and while Elba is in talks to step in, the film was dated for February of 2017 and recently removed from the release schedule completely by Fox. I would not expect this to come out this year.

Downsizing is definitely promising and the film they chose to mention to Sudeikis on the red carpet this past Sunday. I wouldn't expect this until the fall if its ready for this year's ceremony.
>>
>>66612601
Hotly anticipated and will be a contender until people see it and hate it

>>66614338
Very exciting in my personal opinion but possibly too genre for the Academy to embrace. Adams has been nominated I think 5 times at this point though with no wins, so we could see her getting a recognition award this year if one of her films is good enough.
>>
>>66616394
>>66616726
>>66616783
Who are you
>>
>>66616976
I follow this stuff somewhat closely as I work in the industry
>>
>>66616055
they did. its called Flight with Denzel Washington
>>
>>66617153
True, but that just means Eastwood is going to have to invent a whole lot of backstory to make it watchable
>>
>>66616079
Honorary Oscar to Tyler Perry when?
>>
>>66612881
This may be the most Oscar bait movie ever made but that cast is fucking great
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.