[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: VqPgljS.jpg (396 KB, 900x1330) Image search: [Google]
VqPgljS.jpg
396 KB, 900x1330
Do we like it?
>>
>>66593614
Can I fuck your shitty asshole op?
>>
>>66593667
>Can I fuck your shitty asshole op?

What did he mean by this?
>>
There are some cringy moments (le black science man playing airship with office supplies, "were gonna science the shit out of this ") but overall a docent movie.
>>
that was great tier-looking, but i did not buy the premise ultimatly
>>
>>66593614
>we

/tv/ was a mistake
>>
Fun, safe flick. Nothing groundbreaking. Was a very matt damon movie.
>>
Nothing amazing, wouldn't be as disappointing if it wasn't Riddley Scott.
>>
>>66593614

I did
>>
>>66593614
book had more drama like he tipped the rover and lost communication for a while but i enjoyed the movie.
>>
Yes. It was the Interstellar of this generation.
>>
>we
fuck off you insufferable faggot
>>
Mad Max was better
>>
first half was pretty good and fun
the second half was boring
>>
File: 1.jpg (98 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
98 KB, 640x640
I liked it, I loved how the Nasa was around to help them with the science and to borrow shit from them.
And how they used to advertise their Journey to Mars mission.
I wished it got an Oscar just so the Nasa could take the opportunity to talk more about Mars but shit happens whatever
>>
>lets science the shit out of this xD
kill me
>>
>I'm going to have to reddit the shit out of this
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>66593614
Good movie. Aside from the character being the type of cringy optimist that /tv/ autists cant understand it's a solid bit of higher-brow sci-fi entertainment.
>>
File: 1440824719987.jpg (30 KB, 477x613) Image search: [Google]
1440824719987.jpg
30 KB, 477x613
It was great up until the 30 minute scene of meandering NASA fucks doing uninteresting shit.
I just wanted to see more Matt Damon on Mars.
>>
>>66595490
I think thays the problem, the film was a bit too optimistic
Like plebs are going to start thinking we can colonise mars after watching it
>>
File: 1446966825942.jpg (66 KB, 251x257) Image search: [Google]
1446966825942.jpg
66 KB, 251x257
I kept being reminded of Apollo 13 while watching this, and I noticed something weird: never once in the Martian did i ever feel any concern over Matt Damon's safety, but I legitimately felt concerned over the safety of the Apollo 13 Astronauts, even though I knew they'd make it out.

I guess Cast Away is similar too; I felt the tension for Tom Hanks when he was on that Island and things were legitimately suspenseful, while Matt Damon never stopped being fun, quirky science man.
>>
File: Mars-sunset-Curiosity.gif (2 MB, 1344x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mars-sunset-Curiosity.gif
2 MB, 1344x1080
When the niggers started doing rocket sounds everything went to shit, whole movie ruined.

And I can't believe they didn't use the sun raising blue sky shot, what a waste, what a fucking waste.

http://www.universetoday.com/120353/what-makes-mars-sunsets-different-from-earths/
>>
>>66593614

Science niggers were a bit off putting but the movie had such a general comedic tone despite the severity of the situation I ended up forgiving it. Some funny shit and a lot of fun in general I'd give it an 8/10.
>>
>>66593614
brainwashed redditors will hate it because it's not another ant-space fairing propaganda by the jews like Gravity and Interstellar.
>>
Stupid

That scenario would never happen in the first place. I wouldnt mind the internal logic...but A they make the movie out to be really into the hard science of it and B, they make a huge deal when his camp depressurizes

If there is no pressure (like 1000th of Earths) than a storm capable of knocking over a what...8 ton spaceship is impossible
>>
>>66595579
I don't think anything about the film is overly optimistic desu. His character is kind of annoyingly so, but the film and book are both pretty much within the realm of reason (aside from the "hollywood ending" the film had that the book only joked about while everything went pretty much as planned)

I think it has to be accepted that anyone who goes to Mars will almost certainly die of cancer, but I don't see any scientific reason that man couldn't stand on Mars, even within the timeline in the movie. We could absolutely do it within 20 years. As for him not dying, Apollo 13 kinda proved that NASA is based at fixing problems that aren't immediately catastrophic.
>>
Felt like Disney Presents: Castaway in Space! Rated pg.
>>
>>66593614
reminded me of one of those discovery chanel fake docos set in the future. not total crap but laughable it got any oscar nominations
>>
>>66594705
why do normies think this is so funny? Is it some form of mongoloid hive mind?
>>
>>66595613

It's almost like you can tell the same basic story with a different tone in order to achieve a different artistic effect. Nah, that's nonsense.
>>
>>66597374
why do "normies" come on 4chan and pretend they're not normies to justify being lonely?
>>
>>66596630
nope, it definitely was overly optimistic
>growing food on mars
>using a radioactive reactor as a heater
>suddenly there are no mega storms during the whole 4 years by himself on mars when that was what made the mars mission abort in the first place
>>
>>66598688

>possible
>possible
>there was another storm in the book

Anything else?
>>
>>66597809
Why did you delete your post?
>>
>>66598713
>maxing shit with martian soil can grow plants
>wrapping a reactor in gold foil is a possible heater
>that whole last act getting matt damon to the spaceship
top kek
>>
>>66598766

Shit + Earth soil + Martian soil.
And yes, with some shielding he would have taken perfectly survivable levels of radiation.

Even NASA agreed it was fine.
>>
>IM GONNA HAVE TO MEME THE SHIT OUTTA THIS
>IN YOUR FACE MEME ARMSTRONG
>AT LEAST I CAN FLY AROUND LIKE LE IRON MEME
Meme city reddit shit
>>
>>66598808
>earth soil
where does he get this though
>nasa says its ok to use radioactive isotopes to heat up astronauts
sure, thats why they use it... oh wait they dont put that shit anywhere near humans
>>
>>66598959

Came with the ship for experiments. He is a botanist.

And they don't approve of using the radiation, just acknowledge that in a shit situation it works.
>>
>>66599002
>bringing soil without bringing plants
>>
Never read the book; the movie was enjoyable but nothing amazing. Was fairly accurate in it's portrayal of orbital mechanics and spaceflight; much better than Gravity at least.

My biggest gripe was probably all the scenes where something falls and it drops at 1G speeds, even though Mars is .38G's.
>>
>>66599277
>My biggest gripe was probably all the scenes where something falls and it drops at 1G speeds, even though Mars is .38G's.

The director admitted that they considered this (and his walking) and decided it wasn't worth it and would be distracting to the average viewer.
>>
>>66599277
>orbital mechanics
fuck, thanks for reminding me of one of my triggers.

Though you're right, The Martian was at least better than Gravity in that regard.
>>
>>66598713
>>66598766
>wrapping a reactor in gold foil is a possible heater
Guys the wrapping was NOT to block small amounts of radiation but was used as a temperature control inside the rover.
P.S. google some RTG batteries they use in the arctic circle to power light houses.
>>
>>66599856

Didn't Sandra Bullock go around the Earth at like 500,000 million miles an hour?
>>
>>66593614
Yes. Best space movie since Moon.
>>
>>66599911
No, but there was total disregard for realistic orbital mechanics.

That might be forgiven in other movies, but Gravity's plot was nothing but going from A to B in space, which is reliant on orbital mechanics.
>>
File: 1225494208473.jpg (19 KB, 477x325) Image search: [Google]
1225494208473.jpg
19 KB, 477x325
>>66599925

>Meme
>>
>>66600115

It was pretty great in that regards. For like the first 20 minutes.
>>
why couldn't matt damon handle the smell of her waste? was he gay?
>>
>>66597374
Says the baneposter
>>
>>66593738
I think he was asking if he could partake in inserting his penis into the anus of OP. He knew full well that OP is indeed a faggot, so he would not refuse his request.
>>
>>66593614
Are you unable to form an opinion?
>>
>>66600142
If by first 20 minutes you mean until they get hit by debris, there wasn't really any orbital mechanics involved at that point.

After that they go from Hubble to the ISS, which are in totally different inclinations and altitudes. A maneuver that not even a fully fueled shuttle could get close to doing, and they do it with just an MMU, carrying twice the intended payload (one astronaut) and already partially emptied fuel; and that's just the start of the inaccuracies.
>>
THIS IS REDDIT THIS IS MEMES
>>
>>66600573
>>
Decent film. Great visuals.

Dialogue is really from Reddit though. Some cringeworthy scenes.

It's amazing that the author merely copy and pasted Reddit comments to form the dialogue of his book. Then managed to get a movie out of it.
>>
This movie was good, while it was about Matt Damon struggling to survive on Mars. But then it introduced annoying sceintist guy with the great plan, Sean Bean shitty dialog with Nasa Director and give more time to the team with fucking funny guy from Ant-Man and girl from F4, who were doing the same fucking thing. And then i dropped this movie.
>>
cringey and boring
>>
>>66593614
Who is we? you a communist or something sonny?
>>
>>66601774
I hear a lot of people say it was boring. What exactly did you find boring about it, was it just the pacing and such or did you not like the realism aspect where there's no aliens or anything like that?

Space exploration and the things related to it are a personal interest of mine, so I really appreciate it for not being about aliens or clones or what have you. I'm not sure everyone shares my fascination though.
>>
>>66600216
Women always dump the worst smelliest turds, its something in their intestine or something.
>>
There have been no good movies since Upstream Color.
>>
I tried 3x to watch it. Got 20-30 minutes in. Just didn't care.
>>
"I've been thinking about laws on Mars. I have come to now realize, that I have become The Martian"

I walked out after that
>>
>>66601884
>Women always dump the worst smelliest turds
>I have researched this phenomenon intensively.
>>
>>66601896
I've seen it around 4 times in the cinema
The beginning is a bit slow, but as soon as he starts looking for Pathfinder, i get's interesting
>>
No.

Disgustingly positive and tries way too hard to make science seem COOL and HIP. Also the entire thing just rips off Red Planet and Gravity.

I don't wanna say Reddit: The Movie, but it is. It's that perfect kind of annoyingly quirky that caters to that audience.
>>
Under all that Reddit diaqlogue was a pretty good movie.
>>
Large portions of it werent that believable.

I assume it was aiming for the kind of Crusoe feel, but so many things were just a bit to convenient or absurd.
>>
>MAH BOTANY POWERS
>MURRICA MURRICA MURRICA
>OH YEAH CHINA IS GONNA HELP US ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING WE HATE THEM AND THEY HATE US.

Yeah no thanks.
>>
It's okay. Visually impressive and a good performance by Matt. Not oscar-nomination worthy, but decent for him and this type of movie.
Like some others pointed out the meme-tier "le science" jokes were a bit annoying, but didn't ruin the movie for me.
Major weakpoint for me, was that everybody knows at every given point in time that the character will survive. It's just the type of story+movie that doesn't allow a sad ending. Not that i wanted one, but it lacked a bit of real suspense.
Score and visuals carried it, watchable/10
>>
>I'm gonna *plrrrrrp* science *frrrrrrrrrrrppp* uhhhhhhhhhhh the shit *ert* outta this OH NO HERE IT COMES *PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPPPPPPP* UHHHHHHHH

What did he mean by this?
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.