[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixing The Simpsons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 678987898.jpg (10 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
678987898.jpg
10 KB, 258x195
How do we fix what was once the best cartoon ever made? How do we take it back to the golden age but still keep it fresh and make the audience actually give a shit about the show?

My proposal as it stands now is this:
-Put the show on hiatus and make a big deal in the media about why and how it's gonna be fixed
-Sack the current writers and showrunner
-Bring back a writer from the classic era to be the new showrunner, perhaps Conan O'Brien if he'd take the job. Who would you pick?
-Assemble a new writing staff, consisting at least somewhat of classic era writers and known name talent from shows with a big cult following like Always Sunny and Rick & Morty. Who else?
-Release mini-documentaries etc online to showcase whats happening with the staff and pique interest. Make sure to keep up awareness but don't flood because people lose interest that way
-Somehow streamline the animation process so episodes can be more relevant like South Park for example

What do you guys reckon?
>>
Seth MacFarlane Presents: The Simpsons
>>
Swartzwelder
>>
>>66590783
One of my favourite shows of all time, finally after many years the show has no interest from me.

I'd love for the show to be great again and I like your ideas to fix it
>>
Just end it senpai. It's not like they haven't achieved greatness and or success. Even the movie was alright, that should've been the end. That was enough. It's pure arrogance and greed thst keeeps it going now.
>>
>ban any celebrity appearances
>stop stereotyping the main characters (e.g. Old Homer: dumb, but a caring husband who loves his family - Modern Homer: Full-on retard who does stupid shit because "lol so randumb")
>No more musicals

I could go on but it's 2am
>>
>>66590783
People are sick of Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa

Let it end, the only way I can see "The Simpsons" still on tv and still work is if you get a new crew and make a spin off of one of the more interesting characters but that's it.
>>
>>66591295
No, people are sick of the fladerized versions of the simpsons family
>>
Accept that it will never be good in the way it used to be.

Make Homer smarter. Still dumb, but smarter.

Make time real. Next season Bart and Lisa are 9 and 11, then add a year each season. Have the characters grow up in real time. It will allow them to change gradually into new characters rather than becoming extreme versions of their past selves because new plots demand it.
>>
>>66590783
Unless you hire back the entire staff and allow Swartzwelder to smoke inside again, nothing can de done.
>>
>>66590783
Go back to hand drawn.

A lot of the humour was just in the animation, the angles they chose to show scenes from. This has all been lost since they modernized it
>>
>>66590978
For me the movie was the end.
>>
No ma, you just have to let it go. It had a long a fulfilling life.
>>
>>66591422
>Next season Bart and Lisa are 9 and 11,
>9 and 11,
>9/11
>dubs

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>66590783
Show came out 25 years ago.

Have a 25 year time skip from then.

Series focuses on Bart, his wife and their three kids. Lisa is the jaded, unwed school principal. Bart lives in the same house. Homer and Marge living in a condo.

Mayor Quimby replaced with a Regan-a-like. Milhouse is a teacher at the school. Bart works at an electronics factory (owned by Burns).

You can mine an entire season out of exploring the various characters. I'd also do what OP suggests and scrap the current writers. Use the time skip to reset the flanderisation and introduce new characters. Don't be afraid to write characters out and develop a new ensemble.
>>
>>66591295
Do a spinoff called Frink and Milhouse and have it about their adventures travelling through space and dimension due to super science.
>>
>golden age

Pop culture referencing since the first pilot episode? The only people who complain about the show are the people who do not understand the references from first couple of seasons

>animation

Traditional cel animation is completely dead in the South Korean industry. Not only that but the first couple of seasons the animation was downright terrible
>>
B R A D
I
R
D
>>
>>66590783
>so episodes can be more relevant
That's the problem.

Classic Simpsons dealt with classic themes, universal issues in everyday life (especially family life). When it started trying to address trends and current affairs, it lost the simple, timeless appeal of tackling fundamental human problems in a silly but tasteful way.

Once they introduced long-winded references to the latest fad, the show started to feel as cheap and disposable as the flavour of the month celebrities that were making appearances. You couldn't watch and think "this will be enjoyed by my kids one day."

When N-Sync were on, I knew all hope was lost. I have nothing against N-Sync and it wasn't the worst episode, but in 10 years, who the fuck will know who N-Sync were?

To fix the Simpsons, they'd need to hit the reset button, start from scratch. A new family in a new town, but with the same demographics, the same values, a similar heartwarming backstory... Actually I just read >>66591532 and this is a great idea.
>>
>>66591780
>Classic Simpsons dealt with classic themes
>Pop culture referencing since the first pilot episode
>>
>>66590783
>Bring back a writer from the classic era to be the new showrunner, perhaps Conan O'Brien if he'd take the job. Who would you pick?
Greg Daniels is free and has a golden touch for sitcoms. Is it a coincidence the Simpsons started to go downhill after season 7, right after Daniels left, and that his next three shows all suffered the same fate?
>>
>>66591809
It can't be that, rather than the Simpsons getting worse with its references, pop culture itself has gotten worse, can it?
>>
>>66591295
The Young Montgomery Burns Chronicles
>>
>>66591844
>It can't be that

Go back and rewatch ever single episode from the beginning and read about the news from that period

>pop culture itself has gotten worse

Pop culture has always sucked but nostalgia has made shit into gold.
>>
File: 1428066678183.png (26 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1428066678183.png
26 KB, 250x214
>>66590783
gove charatcers back their character
>lisa is a smart child but untimely a child and can be wrong
>marge is a loving housewife with an occasional wild streak
>homer can be an idiot but a loving father
>bart is a trouble maker but at the end of the day a good enough kid who gets into shenanigans

bring back the family values and built a story around that. Then drop all the op culture ITS 2016 references and it will improve ten fold
>>
>>66591809
There's a difference between Homer talking about Star Wars in one scene, and having Lady Gaga guest star in the episode. I haven't seen that episode and I don't need to, it's a major departure from the original tone of the show and I can't imagine how they'd derive any humour or emotion from her appearance.
>>
>>66590783
Stop time travel/alternate universe/young again/older again/ historical fucking episodes.
Reduce the number of lisa and marge episodes to fucking one per season. For both. It's either one marge or one lisa's episode.
>>
You don't.

Just let it die, it's reputation has already been raped.
>>
>>66590783
Ban technology post 90's
>>
>>66592199
>Star Wars in one scene, and having Lady Gaga guest star in the episode

You mean something the show did with other pop stars in the past?

> from the original tone of the show

Pop culture the show?

Do people spend all day complaining about pop culture?
>>
>>66591745
Underated post
>>
>>66592444
this
>>
File: 1397403597193.png (242 KB, 504x375) Image search: [Google]
1397403597193.png
242 KB, 504x375
>>
I remember /tv/ having very strong feelings about the episode, Lisa the Iconoclast, but I can't remember if you guys really hated or really loved it.
>>
>have better writers (obvious)
>don't make characters card board caricatures of themselves (don't write them like someone looked up a brief wiki synopsis on them)
>Homer isn't someone who does stupid things for the sake of doing something silly and stupid. Make him the dad who tries hard, is a good dad, and the world is the one that puts him into silly moments, not him forcing them
>Bart isn't the typical "bad boy" like in newer season. He's a kid who happens to be hyper and prank heavy
>Lisa doesn't SJW every fucking little thing. Make her a kid again who happens to be intelligent.
>Maggie isn't an adult in a baby's body
>celebrity appearances limited to relevant and brief cameos or something akin to Michael Jackson or Dustin Hoffman if they must be the focus
>stop trying to over-develop background characters
>stop making Moe so suicidal and depressing
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.