[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mumblecore Sci Fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1456323358688.webm (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1456323358688.webm
1 MB, 720x720
I have got into Carruth and I realize now why I don't like him. It's just a movie winded around an idea formed in his mind, or rather a theoretical concept he's enamored with. He's big on storytelling so it just won't do to expound upon it in a linear fashion, that would hurt his indie cred. So now mumblecore steps in, amateurish actors (including his own self), speak in terse sentences devoid of pacing, poorly written bits and pieces of narrative spat out in the general direction of the viewer. This is supposed to bring a more natural feel and induce some sort of effort from the audience in realizing what exactly is happening. But the problem is, the concept isn't complicated, it's just poor exposition masquerading as Carruth's vision of 'art' , which amounts to endless cuts and sun flares because he loves him some Malick (talking about Upstream Color here). All the backwards hum and "complex science extracted from plain surroundings" amounts to just another bare bones indie flick with cornucopia of lights thrown in to convey emotion.

Do both horror and sci fi have to be artsy shit now? Is that the only thing lower-budget authors in America can produce? Babadook, Witch, Her, Ex Machina, Carruth, why?

Why do they bluff their careers away? You can tell Carruth has no idea how to convey his ideas so he makes the sci fi equivalent of muzak.

>And now I will cut in some writhing larvae footage

Please. Webm related is better than whole indie sci-fi output in the last decade.
>>
Never heard of this genre, what are some essential mumblecorecore flicks?
>>
>>66581472
What movie is that?
>>
>>66582683
New Massive Attack video

>>66582166
Well, core ones are pretty okay (Linklater's Delpy/Hawke romances), as for the rest, it's the same movie with different people. There's one with Olivia Wilde that's the worst example of the genre I can think of, it's called Drinking Buddies.
>>
Eh, I really liked Computer Chess, but the thing with the computer and the ending was corny.
>>
>>66582166
To be clear, Carruth is primarily sci fi with using mumblecore as a narrative method. Another great example of how vapid mumblecore is is the Girlfriend Experience.
>>
>>66582749
Drinking Buddies is amazing.

>>66582166
watch In Search of A Midnight Kiss. it's great and no one has seen it.
>>
>>66582166
Hannah takes the stairs is GOAT
>>
>>66582749

>Drinking Buddies

Yeah that's directed by Joe Swanberg. He's the absolute worst of the mumblecore directors, just boring mediocrity in human form. He did another movie called Happy Christmas with Anna Kendrick that was just 90 minutes of absolutely fucking nothing. When I saw it was the same director as Drinking Buddies it all made sense

He lures you in with good actors, and just fucks you over with the most half-assed, lazy movies you've ever seen

I actually like Carruth though, he's actually got original ideas at the very least. I get the sense that the "mumblecore" style of them is as much a budgetary restraint as a creative choice
>>
I can't defend Upstream Color but Primer is fantastic. There hasn't been as big of a world in as little of a movie since and there never will be.

He's one of my favorite filmmakers because Primer was the first thing that made me realize you could actually make a movie yourself and not have it be dumb comedy schlock.
>>
>>66582166
Andrew Bujalski is my favorite mumble director. Alex Ross Perry's The Color Wheel is really good too.
>>
>>66582912
>Happy Christmas

It has Lena Dunham in it. What did you expect?
>>
>>66582991
waifu <3
>>
>>66583060

I don't even know why I watched it. I had a bad hangover and I guess I thought it would at least be comforting. But there was just nothing there, it was like improv comedy minus comedy, like they literally just sit around a house with Christmas decorations and bullshit about nothing at all with only the vaguest idea of putting a scene or a conflict together. literally nothing. Like they just got together and fucked around with a camera for a day and made a fake movie poster and released it on Netflix to trick depressed people with hangovers
>>
>>66581472

The Signal was another mumblecore sci-fi

it was all wide shots of american weather and close shots of teenagers murmuring to each other
>>
File: coherence_ver3.jpg (51 KB, 400x592) Image search: [Google]
coherence_ver3.jpg
51 KB, 400x592
Coherence is a good example of mumblecore sci-fi.
>>
I don't understand the appeal of mumblecore at all.
>>
>>66583425
well do you like Cassavetes movies? French New Wave? Rohmer?

I can understand people not liking "aimless" films, but that's exactly what I love about cinema: it allows you to tune into different social rhythms.

not every film has to chart a cataclysmic event. the small, subtle shifts we experience in every day life is just as compelling.
>>
>>66581472
You should read the script of A Topiary. It will help you understand UC, which you obviously didn't get at all.
>>
>>66582912
>he's actually got original ideas at the very least.

Debatable. I view him as a mumblecore director weaving plots around concepts in popular science books he likes. I find that he muddles up the narrative and that his writing (that is, dialogue) is abysmal, short spurts of pseudo realism that tries to obscure the exposition long enough as to make the whole method appear profound. He's not much of a cinematographer either, bigger budget only lead to him becoming Malick-lite.

>>66583784
Again with "Carruth is hard to get" drivel. His movies feature very simple narrative methods with very little success. I'm sure there are pop critics like Chuck Klosterman writing how they needed to see Primer a dozen times as if retard badge gives them some indie cred but I don't think I need consume more of Carruth after observing and understanding what he tried to do.

>>66583540
Slice of life (to use manga term) isn't exactly mumblecore. Especially not French New Wave, which has nothing to do with film school grads from the USA in the 90s pushing for their own means of expression.
>>
>>66584470
Why are you so obsessed with narrative?
>>
>>66582928

>Dumb comedy shlock

Damn anon, that cuts deep...
>>
What the fuck is a Carruth and why do you suppose people should know it?
>>
>>66584562
Because there's nothing to Carruth and similar indie authors except narrative. Their visuals are week, acting is stiff at best and amateurish at most times so those are two devices failing him already. His movies are inundated with poorly written dialogue exchanges while his montages consist of endless short cuts juxtaposing poorly outlined concepts over and over again until a shift happens. Then he goes overboard with same insecure methods to punctuate this shift, dreading that his exposition came off too clear and hoping that it would merit another viewing.

What else is to discuss in this sort of indie flicks if not the narrative itself? They avoid visuals because they don't have the skills to make them and they sure aren't some lowlife pedestrians like Carpenter who had the audacity to film a movie where a beach ball represented alien menace.
>>
>>66584470
you were criticising mumblecore because of its lack of incident. Those filmmakers/movements are largely defined by their lack of incident, and for breaking open the mould of cinema to include smaller scale human behaviour which is emblematic of mumblecore.

mumblecore is very much slice of life filmmaking and those filmmakers + movements are totally related. Bujalski (whose first film birthed the movement) is basically American Rohmer.
>>
>>66584661
>Because there's nothing to Carruth and similar indie authors except narrative.

This is preposterous. There is immense depth to UC, layer upon layer. Watch it again with a less prejudiced eye.
>>
>>66581472
just came to post

-vf cropdetect
>>
File: funnyhaha.jpg (110 KB, 1003x632) Image search: [Google]
funnyhaha.jpg
110 KB, 1003x632
>>66582166
Andrew Bujalski is the only good director labeled under this pseudo-genre. Watch Funny ha ha and Mutual Appreciation, they're his best films.
If you like the style and want to watch some similar films, I wouldn't recommend other mumblecore movies, as it is actually a meme genre. Watch instead Eric Rohmer's filmography.
>>
>>66584829
It's a simplistic mind control parasite thriller on sedatives.
>>
>>66585044
Well OK then, I guess it's just too deep for some people.
>>
I was just going to make a thread about this. I really like Upstream Color, any other sci fi film that is similar? I took note of Ex Machina and Coherence.
>>
>>66585277
Man From Earth maybe?
>>
>>66582928
Upstream had that Lost in Translation and Her feel. I don't know if it's the dream like atmosphere of the city or the chill trippy music or maybe both.
>>
>>66585277
I thought The One I Love was very good
>>
>>66585044
It was barely a thriller, what are you talking about?
>>
>>66587230
>It was a thriller but barely so so why do you call it a thriller
>>
>>66587384
Do you know how genre works?
>>
>>66587461
Yes, and sometimes a movie can have elements from thriller, mumblecore and still be discussed as sci fi without the need to draw the simple meanings to discussion participants just because one retarded fuck wanted to act smug.
>>
>>66587537
It can have elements of a thriller, that doesn't make it one. Do you also classify every movie with a few jokes in them as comedies?
>>
>>66587577
It's a classic thriller structure. Fuck off retard.
>>
>>66587772
Enlighten me on what a classic thriller structure is exactly.
>>
>>66587806
>>
>>66587926
You have serious brain deficiencies.
>>
>>66582683
litteral a rip off of Posession
>>
File: 1382918028169.jpg (44 KB, 569x506) Image search: [Google]
1382918028169.jpg
44 KB, 569x506
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvLZMsYXlo
why is she so hot bros
>>
>>66587015
That's not sci-fi though.
>>
>>66583540
I like slow indie films but this stuff is tough to sit through. I guess I see the appeal of just seeing everyday people living their lives like they normally would, but it makes for a pretty boring movie.
>>
>>66588194
never watch Jeanne Dielman. you'd kill yourself.
>>
>>66588165
Kinda sorta is. Definitely has some sci-fi "elements"
>>
>>66582749
>(Linklater's Delpy/Hawke romances
That's not mumblecore, at all.

Swanberg, Bujalski, Karpovsky, Tukel, and Tao Lin are thought of as the mumblecore crowd. Also Lena Dunham's Creative Nonfiction gives off the vibe really well.
>>
>>66589513
Also Ti West if you're into mumblegore.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.