[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>best picture literally why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: shitlight.jpg (211 KB, 1200x806) Image search: [Google]
shitlight.jpg
211 KB, 1200x806
>best picture
literally why?
>>
>>66571515
To piss you off.
>>
Because nowadays the movies that win best picture win because of their "message" and rather than artistic merit.
>>
>>66571561
they've definitely done their job. and im extremely confused.
>>
>>66571515
>Based on

It won Original Screenplay. How?
>>
>>66571589
It wasn't adapted from an already existing source material.
>>
>>66571589
it was based on case files and reports rather than a narrative. still fucking stupid though
>>
Ok so Mark Ruffalo acts super determined to not let anyone else the sealed documents that no one cares about so he rushes across from Florida to find them first. He probably could have waited years before anyone cared. It was like some ticking clock sequence but without the clock, just Mark acting worried.

Oh yeah and the rest of the movie is just people talking and asking surprised and then being SUPER BRAVE JOURNALISTS but who cares about the victims neways lmao.
>>
movie was pretty average tbqh ..
>>
>>66571515
Because they're so brave and bold.

Where's Lucio Fulci's Oscar? Don't Torture A Duckling is probably the ballsiest movie ever made and nobody even noticed. Now decades later when it's all out in the open and nobody gives a fuck about the church anymore it's all acclaim worthy. The academy is worthless.
>>
Hollywood movie about Hollywood pedophilia when?

Oh right....
>>
Why do you care about the oscars to begin with? They're only for people who aren't serious about film but want to still talk about it as if they are.
>>
It's not a bad movie.
It's not a particularly good one either.
It's not even Oscarbait.
Just a by the number procedural that won because it was about an important event and not the actual film making.
>>
>>66571589

Because for a screenplay to be considered "adapted", it needs to be from a book, series or another movie. It's pretty retarded I know, but separating original screenplays and adapted screenplays is a pretty stupid idea anyway. Sometimes the movie has almost nothing to do with the book but it still counts as an adaptation.
>>
>>66571566
Yup. Of the past 10 best pictures:

Message: Crash (2005), Slumdog Millionaire (2008), The Hurt Locker (2009), 12 Years a Slave (2013), Spotlight (2015)

Merit: The Departed (2006), No Country for Old Men (2007), The King's Speech (2010), The Artist (2011), Argo (2012), Birdman (2014)

Argo could have gone in message but every nominated movie that year blew.
>>
>>66571705
12 Years has both
>>
>>66571639
When I think about Mark Ruffalo in this movie all I remember is him bribing a guy to use a photo-copier.
>>
>>66571705
The artist and birdman won because they were about film, not because of merit
>>
>>66571688
it was the first time i watched the oscars and it truly solidified how bullshit they really are.
>>
>>66571705
>Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
And what would be the message here? It was literally just a well-made and entertaining love story. Literally no "message."
>>
>>66571719
Yup, that was about as far as his character's struggle went.

Just think of the personal sacrifices his character went through!! He paid the guy a whole 83 USD so he could photocopy a few hours sooner, truly a man dedicated to his cause.
>>
>>66571727

Don't forget Argo. I mean I generally like movies such as Sunset Blvd and all but the academy really loves to suck their own dick when the movie is about showbusiness itself.
>>
File: 1456840334461.jpg (259 KB, 1200x806) Image search: [Google]
1456840334461.jpg
259 KB, 1200x806
FTFY
>>
>>66571744
That being poor sucks?
>>
>>66571822
>portraying realistic living standards is now considered sending a message
It's not a message movie if it didn't revolve around that. It's just a love story, dude. There was no message to it.
>>
>>66571744
I agree. It was enjoyable, and I didn't get the "message" if there was any.
>>
>>66571639

The documents would have already gained interest from other sources because them suing for access was a news story by itself already. In the chance that anybody looked into it after they were made public, the story would break somewhere else first and their months of work would go down the drain.

Also there were many scenes focusing on the victims' disclosure, but this is after all a story about investigative journalism. Hence you hardly ever see a priest in the film either; Cardinal Law, the closest thing to a main antagonist, isn't portrayed at all.
>>
>>66571852
>>portraying realistic living standards is now considered sending a message
It's always been to send a message if the living standards are shit and they portray it as shit. This is nothing new.
Now, I'm not sure if that specifically was what the director wanted with the film, but it was still there.
>>
>>66571807
>Sunset Blvd
To be fair, it didn't win Best Picture. It lost to All About Eve which was about actresses and the theater industry :^)
>>
File: pedolics.jpg (897 KB, 2748x3100) Image search: [Google]
pedolics.jpg
897 KB, 2748x3100
because it was a meticulously crafted, well pased, very well acted piece about a very important issue
>>
>>66571705
Slumdog Millionaire was at least an entertaining feel-good movie though.
>>
File: jdarspot.jpg (69 KB, 704x298) Image search: [Google]
jdarspot.jpg
69 KB, 704x298
this is pretty high lads
>>
>>66571962
please. it was boring. i now kind of wish the catholic priests instigated a car chase with the spotlight team that lasted 30 minutes
>>
>>66571809

Why not just shuffle around the images?
>>
Don't want to give a second oscar in a row as Best Picture to IƱarritu also kikes hating catholics and taking the hollywood pedoring shadow away from them.
>>
>>66572019
mad max should've gotten best picture
>>
File: WireFinale25-1.jpg (35 KB, 962x452) Image search: [Google]
WireFinale25-1.jpg
35 KB, 962x452
>yfw scottie is also a director/screenwriter
>>
>>66571515
Think of the Oscars as the Nobel. They only give it for work that has social and humanitarian relevance. Mad Max and Revenant were aethetically superior, but they were just empty circus.
>>
>>66571727
I thought Birdman was about Theater.
>>
File: bridge of jews.png (220 KB, 668x354) Image search: [Google]
bridge of jews.png
220 KB, 668x354
>>66571973
Not the most Jewish this year though.
>>
>>66572091
oy vey! they'll shit on germans any chance they get. and of course depict the communist as a warm and funny man. holy fuck hollywood is such a racket
>>
File: 325352.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
325352.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>66571705
>The King's Speech (2010), The Artist (2011), Argo (2012)

>that gross crock of bait
>>
>>66571515

It's the same mob of people who boo'ed Matthew Mcconaughey when he thanked God during his acceptance speech
>>
>>66571873
True on that part, they did explain that other newspapers might hit another newspaper first. It just didn't feel very exciting, I never thought any of their competitors were even close so it lost any tension for me. And secondly, it assumes that all the other news teams are terrible or have poor readership and wouldn't do as good a job at breaking the story so the Globe's team seemed a bit greedy/self-inflated.
>>
>>66571705
Crash made me realize the multicultural hell America is living in day by day. I might have misinterpreted the movie though, but as far as I can remember, it didn't have a happy ending, everyone was racist as fuck and despite some shocking, atypical experience some had, at the end of the day everything just went on the same as before, the good old everyday paranoid, racist multicultural hellhole didn't change a single bit.
Maybe the intention of the director was only to show how racism is bad and we need tolerance and shit, but what I perceived was racism is inevitable and a multicultural society is hell.
>>
>>66571999
because 48 hours in Paint
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.