[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why hasn't anything remotely similar to the vibe of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 171x254) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 171x254
why hasn't anything remotely similar to the vibe of this flick been release since? seems like an important thing for our culture to explore
>>
Probably because this movie wasn't good so no one wants to make the same mistake twice.
>>
what vibe is that exactly?
>>
>probably 'cause OP is a edgy 12 yrs old fag
>>
>>66571162
We have lost all from the 1999 vibe
>>
I was young when it came out and I this and a few other films came out (The Matrix, Existenz, Cube, etc) and I thought finally Hollywood is going to change for the better. But it got worse.

I had a few hours to kill last week and the only thing on that looked remotely watchable was Zoolander 2. Walked out after ten minutes.
>>
>>66571162
The Master was pretty similar
>>
What I find funny about 14 year olds that praise this flick is that the film (and book) are directly critical of this kind of mindset.
>>
>>66571243
same for Fear and Loathing with drugs desu
>>
>>66571162
9-11 happened
Then it was all war movies and capeshit
>>
File: 1288821461496.jpg (5 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1288821461496.jpg
5 KB, 250x250
What's up with the "Fight Club is bad" meme?

Sure, it's probaby not as good as you thought it was when you were 16 but is it truly a bad movie? Fuck no.

Decent characters, okay writing based on the obligatory better book, good shoots and atmosphere. Fight Club is alright.
>>
File: 144661782893.jpg (25 KB, 215x325) Image search: [Google]
144661782893.jpg
25 KB, 215x325
>>66571162
OP you are wrong. There are some flicks with a similar vibe. pic related
>>
>>66571243
the criticism of consumerism and narcissistic behavior isnt supposed to be satire

the part that's satire is how tyler turden looks like a model and instead of changing society or trying to be better people they create a pseudo paramilitary fascist group to destroy things

it's just entertaining because it goes to such a far extreme and the whole secret society of people fist fighting is a fun idea
>>
>>66571319
but to answer op's question:

culture of 20-30 something's now who probably watched fight club as a teen turned out to be yuppies on steroids thanks to the extreme levels of narcissist behavior that social media and "pay attn to me" culture that is so pervasive

i dont think a movie like fight club would appeal to that demographic the same way it did back then because people are really attached to that image of what they look like and what people think of them. when i was in college 10 years ago they used fight club as an example of how haircare, clothes, even makeup were being marketed to men more and more to be consumers on the same level as women and today i think it's probably the same if not more so the case.
>>
>>66571284

You're asking the dumbest, most arbitrary filth on the internet a serious question? Don't attempt to find logic here.
>>
>>66571162
anarchy is not popular anymore
>>
>>66571434
Well he won't find it in your posts that's for sure.
>>
The Machinist is the same movie minus the memes
>>
File: 1405098518472.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1405098518472.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
>>66571162

> I am an angsty teenager and have not seen Maniac Cop 2 (1990).
>>
>>66571162
>>66571162
People don't really get fight club's sentiment, which is a classic "he who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon" hero journey, ending in a redemption from madness.

Disaffected people in an over commercialized and hollow culture who are too smart to join a church but desperately want to connect on some level with others, try to take back some delusional masculinity (ignoring that both men and women have lost purpose in modernity) spiraling into an unhealthy obsession with one's own prescriptions for the weak who flock to your literally mentally unstable form of confidence is meant as a dark comedy or even a dark farce on the secular problems of a spiritually purposeless culture.

The book and movie both present the idea that NO solution would ever be better than the fucked up world in which we live no matter how revolutionary or underground and ubiquitous the resistance got. Just replacing one accidental insanity with a designed insanity. Becoming yourself the monster you hated from the start.
>>
>>66571284
It's good, so that means it's bad.
>>
>>66571162

all of finchers other movies have the same vibe to varying degrees, most notably dragon tattoo
>>
>>66571924
Any reccomended reading for this line of thought?

Joseph Campbell?
>>
File: 1455046521785.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1455046521785.gif
2 MB, 400x400
Nightcrawler, Drive, Machinist, Taxi Driver. All have the sabe night time psychotic degeneracy vibe
>>
>>66571276
Bingo. Fight Club is sort of a time capsule movie.
>>
>>66571223
what is wrong with your taste?
>>
>>66571284
The movie is arguably better than the book though. Fight Club is one of Palahniuk's weaker novels.
>>
>>66571162
Well there's Mr Robot?
>>
Watching Fight Club I get a 90s vibe like nothing else in the world. It's like I'm literally visually watching the 90s. I don't know why it feels this way.
>>
>>66572098
How would you rate Choke: movie vs book?
>>
It's written about and targeted toward a demographic that doesn't exist any more.
>>
>>66573367
What's with this mindset that Fight Club is targeted by anti-materialist and anti-consumerist young males? The movie very clearly shows Tyler Durden as a crazy psychopath and not exactly someone you want to imitate. If anything the only thing you should take away from the movie is that mental illness can ruin people.
>>
>>66573615
>The movie very clearly shows Tyler Durden as a crazy psychopath

Not if you were an edgy anti-materialist and anti-consumerist young male in the 90s.
>>
There was some kind of article about Patrick Bateman working @ Zuckenberg in the present, and i wondered: where Durden would be nowadays..?
>>
>>66574433
>where Durden would be nowadays..?
probably admin of a memepage on facebook making nihilistic posts about killing himself that's only slightly ironic
>>
>>66572092
Absolutely nothing. Fedoracore doesn't mean anything. It's just a contrarian label for cool enjoyable movies.
>>
>>66572092
>>66578620
I'm not that guy btw, just agree with him.
>>
>>66573322
both are shit-tier
>>
>>66571162
Just wait for suicide squad
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.