[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that this guy never won an oscar and Alejandro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: david-lynch1.jpg (368 KB, 1446x1800) Image search: [Google]
david-lynch1.jpg
368 KB, 1446x1800
Daily reminder that this guy never won an oscar and Alejandro 'look at how good I can copy other directors lmao' Iñárritu already won 4.
>>
>>66543706
Daily reminder that David Lynch doesn't give a shit, and neither does anyone with half a brain.
>>
>>66543706
Children of Men is amazingly directed though. Lynch is great but his best (Eraserhead), was way to out there to win anything.
>>
David Lynch is too busy trying to become the moon to care about earth nonsense like the oscars
>>
>>66543800
I'm just illustrating how bad the oscars are
>>
>>66543819

Inarritu did not direct Children of Men. He works with Cuaron's DP now, but they're not the same director dude
>>
>>66543819
>Children of Men

What does CoM have to do with Inarritu or Lynch?
>>
>>66543850
>Children of Men
Oh fuck shit you're right. Always thought it was him. Forget that point then.
>>
>>66543706
Because Alejandro can make entertaining films using the styles of other filmmakers. Lynch can only wank in a petri dish and call it art.
>>
>>66543819
I don't think he made Children of Men.
>>
>>66543800
/thread. Lynch does whatever the fuck he wants. Stop being so shallow, OP.
>>
>>66543903
Do you enjoy the films of Quentin Tarantino?
>>
>>66543903
his wank tastes bretty good though
>>
>>66544048
see >>66543831
I don't really give a shit. It just blows my mind how the oscars are considered so important
>>
>ITT: Talentless Hacks
fixed
>>
Literally who
>>
>>66543831
>I'm just illustrating how salty I am
>>
Just because a dish may have many ingredients or may have complex or lengthy preparations doesn't mean it will taste good, taste better than simple dishes, or make it worthy of awards.
>>
OP is a braindead, celebrity worshipping moron. Grow up and then grow a pair.
>>
>>66544435
>Just because a dish may have many ingredients or may have complex or lengthy preparations doesn't mean it will taste good
an example of David Lynch's work
>>
>>66544626
this
>>
>>66544626
Plus, Lynch wanks all over the dish.
>>
File: 1375581891020.jpg (345 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1375581891020.jpg
345 KB, 1280x960
>>66544435
>food analogy
>>
Lynch probably didn't know it waso n last night.
>>
>>66544435
IT'S FUCKING RAW
>>
File: 1441600579381.gif (893 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1441600579381.gif
893 KB, 320x240
>>66544758
>analogies at all
I thought I wasn't in a normie forum.
>>
>>66543706
Arthouse films don't deserve any Oscars
>>
>>66543706

just a reminder that in 50 years lynch's fucked up films will still be a reference standard while yalohundro will be "who the fuck is that"

hey, who won best film the year Bladerunner came out
>>
>>66544952
>/tv/
>not normie
wew lad
did you miss all the capeshit and stars wars threads?
>>
>>66545057
Um, Chariots of Fire? A better movie than Blade Runner with a better Vangelis score.
>>
>>66544955
Why not?
>>
>>66543706
> 'look at how good I can copy other directors lmao
I have to say this decade/era has not found its real voice yet. Its as if everyone can now make perfect duplicates of things like films and music styles. Technology is brilliant and enabling but new ideas and direction seems to be lacking.
Am I wrong?
>>
>>66543706
The Oscars have always been more about making political statements than talent or artistry.

Especially in the last couple decades.

I'm starting to think they purposely chose all white nominees just to attract controversy and so Hollywood could make a diversity statement.
>>
>>66545678
>lynch cucks actually believe this
>>
>>66543706
Daily reminder that Oscar wins don't reflect quality.

I'm sure if David Lynch wanted to make cheesy Oscar bait he could.
>>
He doesn't seem like the type to care whether he has oscars or not. He's not making films to please the academy.
>>
LYNCH NEEDS AN OSCAR
#LYNCHTHEOSCARS
>>
>>66545593
Original ideas have really been lacking in Hollywood this decade. Way too many movies about making movies, movies about fictional actors and fictional filmmakers. And way, way too many remakes.

All the original stories are coming from foreign films now days.
>>
>>66545742
He did. It's called the Straight Story and the Elephant Man. Didn't work, because he's not that good.
>>
>>66545593
It's called creative bankruptcy, and no you're not wrong
>>
>>66545742
Elephant man was pushing Oscar bait
>>
Everytime this oscar frenzy starts I always go back to bergman's letter to the academy. what a big fuck you that was.

Normies need to understand a panel of 12 people cant decide if a film has artistic merit or not. to each their own. people celebrate it as if theyve won the award. I thank the heavens that people like lynch are still around and make movies that they are passionate about rather than the senseless cheesy drivel the average movie-watcher enjoys these days
>>
>>66545808
>>66545975

I don't think they were oscar bait. Lynch just does whatever the fuck he wants and those movies just managed to have some oscar baity aspects by change
>>
>>66546143
>change
chance*
>>
>>66545886
>>66545805
>>66545994
I've been starting to wonder whether the big studio system today is set for another downfall similar to what happened after the 1940s breakup of the studio distribution systems that led to the decline of the big studios up until the arrival of the blockbuster film in the 1970s.
For example: Capeshit. I love it. But I'm also growing tired of it. People think Disney, Warner, Fox (yes they're still huge) and those companies are almost invincible but studios have such massive overheads with personnel and fixed sets and so on, how would a company like Disney fare after one or two of their pinnacle capeshit films bomb? If the fandom seriously declines, what then? I think the big studios will start shitting in their pants daily.
>>
>>66546355
thats the thing mate. its all calculated. they have their billion dollar empires, they know how to manage them, unless it gets too big to control. theyll always know what the people want. I dont watch capeshit myself, but all my friends do, half of social media is filled with this crap weeks before the film trailers even hit youtube. theyre not going away this easily
>>
>>66546521
So you think this still has major wind in its sails? I guess it could be so. I mean if they start killing off major heroes and stories can have dubious outcomes it would probably lead to renewed/continued interest.
But what it also means is that audiences will get more big popcorn films and much less risk taking by the studios. Which seems to be the long term direction anyway.
I mean film is a mixture of art and finance. Except for large video game productions it is currently still the most expensive art form by far. I say currently because I can still not get over the movie Tangerine and the quality they got from those iPhones using the converter lens. Perhaps the risk taking HAS to keep shifting to independent films. One day we'll all be making films. The question then becomes who will watch them though?
>>
>>66546840
as the quantity rises, so does the amount of shitty films that make it out to the market. Youd be surprised to know that hundreds of films are released per week, most of them garbage indie films that never make ti to the commercial markets. The capeshit that gets highlighted are the ones that get backed up by millions of dollars plus, and probably most important, theyve got their opinion leaders aka shillers all over the internet to hype the film. the number posts re-sharing the same trailer is ridiculous. the audience cant even comprehend that its the same superhero saves city in a cape film that theyve seen 10 times before, theyll happily pay for it and when there's demand theres always supply. it'll take something as mammoth as the american new wave akin to the french new wave to shake hollywood off the road that it has taken
>>
File: 1448083833488.png (265 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
1448083833488.png
265 KB, 800x400
>>66543706
>>
11/10 hair
perfect hair
>>
>>66547089
one of those is a hack
it's not Lynch
>>
>>66546355
>>66546521
>>66546840
>>66547039
Maybe you're bi.
>>
>>66544435
Or maybe your palate is too pleb to appreciate it?
>>
>>66543706

what is more astonishing is that Lynch was actually nommed for Mulholland Dr, Elephant Man, and Blue Velvet. it's unbelievable to me that the Academy could get behind movies like that. They're such plebs generally.
>>
>>66547116
He must rub some mystical,Native American ointment onto his scalp.
>>
>>66547140
That's arguable to say the least.
>>
>>66547039
>it'll take something as mammoth as the american new wave akin to the french new wave to shake hollywood off the road that it has taken
Well before the 1970s blockbusters sci-fi and films in general we're trending towards realism. Still Hollywood realism, but much more gritty.
Perhaps that's where things will pick up from again. I'm not saying fantasy should disappear but it should be balanced out.
>as the quantity rises, so does the amount of shitty films that make it out to the market. Youd be surprised to know that hundreds of films are released per week, most of them garbage indie films that never make ti to the commercial markets.
Yeah a lot of it amounts to background noise.
Perhaps its a good thing because out of all the shit something good must come.
>>
>>66547199
His hair has always been gloriously glorious.
>>
>>66547375
Highly influential auteur director vs jackass with a guitar. I don't think it's up to much debate.
>>
>>66547833
Hugely influential on whom? I can name some of Lynch's influences, but the buck stops with him.
>>
>>66543706

He has a fantastic head of hair for an old guy.
>>
>>66547961
It's a wig dum dum.
>>
>>66547888
not that guy but these are the first three that came to mind:

Richard Kelly
Joseph Kahn
Refn (though he's a hack)
>>
Twin Peaks when?
>>
File: Herman+Brood.jpg (123 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Herman+Brood.jpg
123 KB, 1500x1000
>>66543706
David Lynch looks alot like Herman Brood. Especially the squint in their eyes.
>>
>>66547888
Twin Peaks is one of the most influential shows of all time.
Blue Velvet influenced Tarantino.
Aronofsky was influenced by him too.
Richard Kelly.
I'm sure there's much more.
>>
>>66543800
fucking /thread
>>
File: david-lynch-970.jpg (444 KB, 970x1142) Image search: [Google]
david-lynch-970.jpg
444 KB, 970x1142
Ideas are like fish.
If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you've got to go deeper.
Down deep, the fish are more powerful and more pure. They're huge and abstract. And they're very beautiful.
>>
>>66548071
Three hacks.
>>66548155
>Twin Peaks is one of the most influential shows of all time.
Great. I'm talking films.
>Blue Velvet influenced Tarantino.
Lots of things influenced Tarantino. I see much more of Leone and Peckinpah in his films than Lynch. In fact, I don't see how Lynch influenced him at all in any significant way.
>Aronofsky was influenced by him too.
Minor crap director.
>Richard Kelly.
Minor crap director.
>I'm sure there's much more.
The list could go on, etc.
>>
>>66548385

Detention and Southland Tales are both masterpieces and two of the most forward-thinking movies out there.

Stay pleb though.
>>
>>66547993
How do you know? It fell off when he was sodomizing you?
>>
>>66548385
>Great. I'm talking films.
And I'm talking about Lynch's influence. Do you think Twin Peaks only influenced TV shows?

I don't really give a shit if you think they're bad directors. The point is that Lynch is influential.
>>
>>66543706

I just wonder when he will make a new movie.
His last movie was ten years ago...
>>
>>66548671

he said Inland Empire would be his last movie
>>
>>66548071
>>66548155
Are you two fags implying that Josh hasn't left his mark on music?
>>
>>66548385
>Lots of things influenced Tarantino. I see much more of Leone and Peckinpah in his films than Lynch. In fact, I don't see how Lynch influenced him at all in any significant way.
Stylized violence and fetishism. The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs is literally a nod to Blue Velvet.
Blue Velvet also changed the way people see small american towns and influenced directors like Coen Bros.
>>
Birdman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Irrelevant, but good for Leo though, son
>>
>>66545210
No, not really. It didn't age well at all.
>>
>>66548776
By making generic rock music?
>>
>>66548351
go deeper as in?
>>
>>66549316
your mom's vagina
get it now?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.