[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did it really deserve the oscar? I watched the movie and effects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: 11190916_ori.jpg (117 KB, 800x1185) Image search: [Google]
11190916_ori.jpg
117 KB, 800x1185
Did it really deserve the oscar? I watched the movie and effects are pretty... average.
>>
>>66536105
What do you mean average? They sit perfectly well within the film and never once distract you by being unbelievable.
>>
not for special fx but it was kind of a pity oscar since it got snubbed for best picture and a lot of other shit like oscar isaac for best supporting
>>
>>66536145
yes but there are plenty of movies that can map an actor's face onto a cgi body and not suck at it. and wasn't it just a costume most of the time? she start wearing dress and a wig after a time right? am I wrong?
>>
I'd rather it got a screenplay nod or Oscar Isaacs an acting nomination when honestly it was a great movie and all but not really a vfx heavy machine in the way mad max was.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (182 KB, 1920x796) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
182 KB, 1920x796
>>66536145
also comparing to this, it surely sucks.

maybe there was no competation on that area for this year. Didn't watch the star wars, was it bad? I thought it would at least make effects part right
>>
File: 1430428001230.jpg (478 KB, 1140x1667) Image search: [Google]
1430428001230.jpg
478 KB, 1140x1667
>>66536105
The effects on Ava especially were pretty fucking well done, especially on their budget. Not once was I taken out of the film because she looked unrealistic.
>>
>>66536446
This.
It was a $15 million dollar movie going up against $150 million dollar movies.
>>
File: Best Special Effects.webm (41 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
Best Special Effects.webm
41 KB, 1280x536
>>66536145
>>
>>66536105
Have you seen it's competition? Mad max sure, but Star Wars easily didn't deserve to win
>>
>The film was shot like ordinary live action. There were no special effects, greenscreen, or tracking markers used during filming. All effects were done in post-production. To create Ava's robotic features, they filmed the scenes both with and without actress Alicia Vikander's presence, which allowed them to capture the background behind her. The parts they wanted to keep, especially her hands and face, were then rotoscoped while the rest was digitally painted out and the background behind her restored. Camera- and body-tracking systems transferred Vikander's performance to the CGI robot's movements. In total, there were about 800 VFX shots, of which 350 or so were robot shots.

A lot of hard work in post-production went in to it.
>>
>>66536105
Are you retarded? The Oscars was for best visual effects.
>>
>>66536359
the CGI characters in Star Wars were particularly bad. I think the only reason Fury Road didn't win best VFX is that they didn't want to give it too many Oscars
>>
>>66536564
autism
>>
>>66536564
Oh wow, fair enough I don't remember this from when I saw it.
>>
File: tear it up.webm (2 MB, 960x404) Image search: [Google]
tear it up.webm
2 MB, 960x404
The effect of you're birth was pretty average.
>>
Ava's tits in robot form are much larger than her tits with skin.
What the fuck is up with that??
>>
The effects were amazing.

Bit like District 9, the caveat being "especially for the budget."

I thought it was weird that Vikander won for the Danish Girl and not this, and that Spotlight beat this for best screenplay.
>>
>>66536250
Yes you're wrong, that's the last scene
>>
File: ex machina-64.webm (2 MB, 720x300) Image search: [Google]
ex machina-64.webm
2 MB, 720x300
Was very well done. The little whirly noises Ava's body made added to it.
>>
>>66536605
Wasn't that technique used in Chemical Brothers' new track? Even the asian girl is the same
>>
>>66536605
Fucking hell. I wonder why they made it more difficult for themselves, particularly with not tracking Vikander.

>>66536622
Star Wars should have won for its set extensions alone imo, beautiful work. Mad Max did have some perfect compositing though.
>>
It deserved it because Ava was a qt and did nothing wrong. Who gets to keep the oscar anyway if it's awarded to the movie?
>>
>>66536644
I'm going to tear up the fucking dance floor, dude check it out
>>
File: ex-4.webm (3 MB, 1914x800) Image search: [Google]
ex-4.webm
3 MB, 1914x800
>>
>>66536605
How do they get the exact same shots twice in a row?
>>
the scenario of this movie is stolen from "la comète de Carthage", a French comic book by Chaland
it is literaly a shame
>>
>>66536105
It was okay, i guess
>>
>>66536816
They can save and replicate camera movement and settings, providing the rig is capable.
>>
>>66536756
>Fucking hell. I wonder why they made it more difficult for themselves, particularly with not tracking Vikander.

Budget constraints maybe. Though it was Double Negative who worked on much of the VFX, they're good at what they do - have won Oscars for Interstellar and Inception.
>>
>>66536105

the only effects were her green screen robot body. basically just a much less impressive gollum.

i liked ex machina a lot but it really, really didn't deserve that award. hell, star wars deserved it more than ex machina
>>
>>66536839
fucking technology man
>>
>>66536717
no she starts wearing leggings and shit before that
>>
Did you guys see that new shaky-cam add-on??
OH BOY WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!
>>
>it should win because budget is low
wow, worst argument ever.

>best actor should be extras because they are not getting paid as much
>>
One day Alex Garland might write another Judge Dredd script, maybe even this time direct it.
>>
>>66536622
What the fuck are you talking about? Maz Kanata's face was extremely good.
>>
>>66536785
Best line delivery of 2015.
>>
>>66536105
It deserved recognition. But it took the only Oscar that Mad Max really should have had.
>>
>>66536679
I think Vikander won for both. She probably wouldn't had gotten one for the Danish Girl, if she hadn't been in Ex Machina.
>>
>>66536105
it was 15 million movie who did great special effects. That award sometimes rewards those movies that do a amazing job with a limited budget.

>>66536335
It was a good screenplay, but the writer guilds LOVED spotlight screenplay.
>>
>>66536756
Most likely to save money.
>>
File: Ava gets dressed.webm (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Ava gets dressed.webm
1 MB, 320x180
>>
>>66536605

How does this work? When they say "digitally painted out" do they mean someone went through every relevant frame of the movie and used a sort of erasing tool on the body? And then the background from the secondary footage is cropped into the erased area? I don't know anything about the process or the software involved.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.