[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spotlight now joins the ranks of timeless classics such as:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: spotlight.jpg (56 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
spotlight.jpg
56 KB, 600x397
Spotlight now joins the ranks of timeless classics such as:

>The Artist
>Crash
>Shakespeare in Love
>Million Dollar Baby
>The English Patient
>Oliver!
>Argo
>The Hurt Locker

Films remembered as the peak of cinema, that left a significant cultural impact.
>>
>>66533272
Ayy lmao

As much as I didn't want Mad Max to win Best Picture, it would have been a better choice than Spotlight.
>>
But Argo was actually good
>>
Oliver! is a classic though
>>
>>66533272
Man crash was so mediocre
>>
>>66533272
Don't forget Chariots of Fire.
>>
Best Picture really is kind of a joke when you look at the films that win it.
>>
>>66533272
And Slumdog Millionaire
>>
>>66533272

You forgot my favourite Slumdog Millionaire
>>
>>66533272
I liked Million dollar baby
>>
>>66533492

I like how the rapist cop was one of the most "sympathetic" characters in the movie. "Look guys, he redeemed himself but not really." That shit wouldn't fly today without a lot of complaints.
>>
>>66533272
Nearly all Best Picture movies from this century are shit to be honest.
>>
12 Years a Slave and Birdman were great films on their own right regardless of awards
>>
>>66533529
Crash wasn't even made that long ago either, what 2009? I thought the message in Crash was far too hamfisted to be enjoyable.
>>
>>66533529
>That shit wouldn't fly today
this maymay needs to stop.
>>
>>66533567

>what 2009?

You're a bit off there.
>>
>>66533488
no way it's better than Lion in Winter. 2001 and Rosemary's Baby weren't even nominated either
>>
mfw never seen
>The Artist
>Crash
>Shakespeare in Love
>The English Patient
>Oliver!
>The Hurt Locker
am i pleb? any of these good?
>>
why did crash win? I remember seeing it and thinking, thats a movie
>>
>>66533524
I'm still salty about this. What an atrocious movie.
>>
>>66533609
I like The English Patient, but I don't think many people do. Hurt Locker is a tough one for me as all the EOD guys I know/ever worked with have always been 100% pussies who won't even look at the IED until we'd secured an entire zip code.
>>
>>66533496
I want to forget that movie actually, it was so awful.
>>
>>66533609
English Patient is pretty good and also The Artist. Rest is skip tier.
>>
>>66533618

It was literally Oscarbait: The Movie. It just had a chance because it did it better than, say, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
>>
>>66533609
The Artist, Crash, and Hurt Locker are good movies just not BEST PICTURE movies. They will be forgotten in time.
>>
>>66533524
I'm still triggered by the assumption that Who Wants To Be a Millionaire was live television.
>>
>movie about pedophiles
>literally no CP in it
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>66533665
>are good movies just not BEST PICTURE movies. They will be forgotten in time.

Fine sometimes even good movies that are forgotten in time are exactly what Best Picture winners/noms are for the most part in recent history. Does anyone truly give a shit about Boyhood anymore? Why would anyone watch that over Truffaut's films? Birdman is drek. Driving Miss Daisy is a best picture winner. The various critic polls do a much better job, both the village voice poll and the skandies are more reliable for gaging what's actually going to stand.
>>
>>66533272
Cronenberg's Crash is a classic.
>>
I'm pretty sure the kikes at the oscars just voted this movie to make fun of christians. Spotlight is a boring fucking movie.

I've seen it 3 times and I can't remember a single thing about the movie.
>>
>>66533789
The only thing I remember is Liev Schreiber being pretty good in it.
>>
The King's Speech shall be remembered for all time.
>>
Spotlight is a great movie you plebs. What did you want to win? Cuck Max?
>>
>>66533272
really disappointing, either Mad Max or Room should have won
>>
>>66534144

spotlight was a mediocre, predictable movie that'll be completely forgotten within a year
>>
>>66533516
>>66533524

>Slumdog Millionaire won 8 Oscars
>No other movie will win more than 5 Oscars anymore including Best Picture on it

Feels bad man
>>
>>66533272
I've only watched 2 of those films and they had no significant impact on me. Best film Oscar is 9 times out of 10 a forgettable average movie.
>>
File: 90146421.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
90146421.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
>>66533272
>Oliver!
U fookin wot m8?
I love that movie but really?
>>
>>66533272
All of the nomenees were pretty average movies, besides The Room that I have not watched.
>>
>>66534385
It's just Room. Not The Room. Not The Forbidden Room. Just Room. And Bridge of Spies was fantastic.
>>
>The Martian was nominated 7 times
>didn't win shit

I feel a little bad for it, not even a small technical award. It wasn't that great but more memorable than Spotlight.
>>
>>66533272
It should have been Revenant or Mad Max. Fucking academy plebs.
>>
>>66533272
>Hollywood making a movie about expoing pedos

Truly the most cynical place in america.
>>
>in order to be good it has to be remembered by my grandkids 100 years from now

Admit you're plebs and get it over with
>>
>>66534458
>Hollywood making a movie about expoing CATHOLIC pedos

Good in my book you goy, we don't do such a things, it's a catholic thing!
>>
>>66534488
PEDO CULT BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>66534458
How many 14 year olds did Bryan Singer drug and rape at his after party?
>>
I like how you can pretty much tell what's going to win Best Picture by what they're about
Did anyone really expect Mad Max to win?
>>
so glad the oscar season is over, but /tv/ will be shit for like a week now when people only talk about the oscars

honestly I hate Oscarshit even more than Capeshit. all the movies are so boring, safe and american. except mad max that waas goat
>>
What did you expect?

The Academy is filled with ancient, self-important yuppies who are so insecure about the way the world views their spoiled, vapid lifestyles that they feel the need to use Oscars to award muh social injustice movies in a pathetic attempt to make it look like they're actually in touch with the rest of the world.

The award isn't for Best Picture, it's for Best Political Statement.
>>
The English Patient is such a moving film.
>>
what's the last best picture that can be considered a true best picture that was a cultural cornerstone?

Lord of the Rings? No Country?

Why are the oscars so out of touch.
>>
Did anyone NOT like Mad Max as much as they were hoping/expecting to?

I wasn't exepcting it to be that good and it was marginally worse. Not terrible but just...nothing.
>>
>>66534597

You're not going to get a 'cultural milestone' every year.
>>
Mark Ruffalo is such a terrible fucking actor. I haven't watched the movie but from the trailer it looks like a piece of shit especially with that guy.
>>
>>66534597
The Silence of the Lambs

it won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Screenplay
>>
>>66534597
I was gonna say There Will Be Blood but then I remembered it didn't fucking win
>>
>>66534785
He's great in Foxcatcher
>>
>>66534814

it lost to no country which is a great film as well so its hardly some great snub
>>
>>66533753
We're not talking about that crash, though.
>>
>>66533272
You forgot Chicago
>>
>>66534849
Yeah but I think it was the last 'cultural cornerstone' and it didn't even win
>>
Spotlight is an excellent movie but it's an incredibly unsexy Oscar choice. It's just a quiet drama about people investigating a crime, there's no Oscarbait melodrama or BIG MOMENTS outside of that one Ruffalo speech. It's a worthy choice but it's just a very fucking good movie that's very quiet, and that doesn't really present a lot of discussion.

People comparing it to Crash or Shakespeare In Love are lunatics though. Sandra Bullock falls down a flight of stairs and is cured of racism in Crash, you people have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>66534861
It's the only Crash that counts tho.
>>
>>66534998
>quiet drama
No, the whole problem with the entire movie is that there's literally no drama at all. It's just fact checking.
>>
>>66535121

>implying there wasn't drama in the fact-checking
>>
File: jean.jpg (302 KB, 2136x1776) Image search: [Google]
jean.jpg
302 KB, 2136x1776
I've never seen a movie forgotten quicker than The Artist.

This dude is totally forgotten by Hollywood
>>
What bothers me the most is that Spotlight is a shitty "issue movie" that has nothing especially cinematic about it. It has an issue. It has known actors. But if we're going to pretend that Best Picture is about craft (they should at least pretend it is), they should have picked a better example. It's like TV movie level. It should be on Lifetime with all those other movies about child predators.
>>
>>66535291
He didn't want to stay in Hollywood.
He was only playing stereotypical french guy roles and it got him bored.

He's still pretty active in France.
>>
>>66533609
English Patient is pretty good imo. Hurt Locker is just basic action shit, but fun to watch.
>>
>>66535435
>stereotypical french guy roles

well maybe if his english wasn't terrible he wouldn't have that problem
>>
>>66535466
¯\_ツ_/¯
>>
Fuck off. The Hurt Locker was great, and people loved it
>>
>>66533609
Hurt Locker is a pretty entertaining action flick that does a half-assed job of pretending to be something more. Crash is OK; some parts of it work and others don't. The Artist is kind of cute at first but it's a feature film with about 25 minutes' worth of concept.
>>
>>66535220
>drama
>in sifting through data
No there isn't any
>drama
>in fact-checking, something we already know to be true
Have you been living under a fucking rock?
>>
>>66534548
only underage reddit users who don't understand how the Oscars work, movies like Mad Max will never win best picture and they shouldn't honestly
>>
>>66534597
Birdman is one the best films in the past decade and absolutely deserves best picture, The King's Speech as well will be a legendary film that stands the test of time
>>
File: 23h06m31s119.png (378 KB, 720x384) Image search: [Google]
23h06m31s119.png
378 KB, 720x384
>>66533477
>>
>>66533655
>I like The English Patient,
>>66533657
>nglish Patient is pretty good
>>66534589
>The English Patient is such a moving film.
>>66535463
>English Patient is pretty good imo.

are all of you 42 years old sinngle moms?
>>
>>66536230

well wouldn't you go back for kristin scott thomas's corpse to that cave???
i know i would
>>
>>66533272
>Mark "The Incredible Kike" Rufflo winking to the camera over his fedora core movie bringing a new wave of Anti Catholicism to America
>>
>>66534512
Now you're thinking like a good goy!
>>
>>66534998
>Sandra Bullock falls down a flight of stairs and is cured of racism in Crash

jesus christ I forgot about this
>>
Has anything better than a flick ever won best film?
>>
>>66533272
Million Dollar Baby was great. Replace it with Slumdog.
>>
>>66533477
Argo was an entertaining flick. It's not some masterpiece of cinema. It kept me entertained during a flight but that was about it, not anything I'd bother remembering.
>>
>>66533272
The Artist is a Singin in the Rain gritty remake
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.