[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Endings that depressed the shit out of you. https://ww
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 7567351.3.jpg (75 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
7567351.3.jpg
75 KB, 500x708
ITT: Endings that depressed the shit out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1yQ6hub08
>>
Why did you find it depressing? She found closure with her family and her past, got a taste of the real world but decided to return and become a nun.
>>
File: 7518135.3.jpg (111 KB, 499x699) Image search: [Google]
7518135.3.jpg
111 KB, 499x699
>>
>>66447187
Pretty much the only right thing the Oscars did in the last few years.
>>
>>66448249
Son of Saul is also going to win this year
>>
pls someone explain this movie to me
>>
File: leigh--naked.jpg (134 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
leigh--naked.jpg
134 KB, 316x500
>>
>>66447187
>Holocaust drama
Yeaaaaaah no
>>
>>66448473
>holocaust drama

It played several years after the holocaust
>>
>>66448553
so did Sophie's Choice and that's definitely a Holocaust movie. every single conflict in ida can be traced to OY VEY THE SHOAH.

It's also an incredibly boring and trite drama but that's a different matter. Sentimental trash for people who don't watch foreign films often.
>>
>>66448605
Go back to your superheroe threads please.
>>
>>66448660
>le false dichotomy
God you're a fucking simpleton, like literally everyone in the Academy who voted for this shit to win last year. Banal storyline, paper-thin characters, absolutely overrated, soulless, depressing for depression's sake, and overall the exact definition of "baby's first foreign language" film. And the best part is: It's a Holocaust drama. Never seen that before!
>>
>>66448710
Never since Kaurismäki have I seen such a good work through the face. The actor chosen is just perfect and so is the direction, the whole story could be reduced to the shots with her deadpan expression and the one with the tear falling down. However, that is not something negative, quite the opposite: it is fascinating how in so few gestures and movements can a story unfold. The storyline is not great because it doesn't need to: you don't need an epic film to express angst and depression. Reality alone is enough I'd say.
I'm not even going to adress the rest of your post because you basically spitted out meaningless buzzwords, but I'm willing to discuss if you actually explain your criticism.
Only thing I do want to say, is that you don't have to come up with an incredibly innovative idea (if that's even possible nowadays) to make a good film. Disregarding a Holocaust drama (which Ida hardly is, anyway) for the sake of being a Holocaust drama, is pointless.
>>
>>66449053
>Disregarding a Holocaust drama (which Ida hardly is, anyway)
Some Jews were hiding from Nazis
The Jews became too much of a burden
The Jews were killed
"Hardly" a Holocaust movie. Okay, crit theory cretin. OMG THE ACTOR'S FACE, CLOSEUPS, THE CAMERA SHAKES AT THE END REPRESENTING THE INNER TENSION! Not only isn't innovative, but essentially turns foreign cinema into a self-deprecating joke. The fact is the movie ISN'T those wonderful shots you described: It's a boring road movie with a Madonna and a whore duo, with sterile black and white photography set in a sleepy Polish village. How a story unfolds is unimpressive when the story itself is worthless. I came away from Ida no more enlightened or "full" than when I entered it. Instead I was just disgusted at how the Academy could be fooled by such rank sentimentality and obvious trickery.
>Commits suicide while listening to classical music
Yuck.
>>
>>66448473
The film got accused of anti-semitism for even giving slight reference to the fact that there was a large Jewish element to the post-war Communist govt. in Poland.
>>
>>66449366
Jews are overly-sensitive? No!
>>
If anyone here is interested, Wanda's character is based on this woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Woli%C5%84ska-Brus
>>
>>66449252
The Jew story is absolutely subsumed to Ida's story, her life and her decisions. Is as important as the guy she meets or the contrasting role of her aunt. Again, that doesn't mean that Holocaust movies are inherently bad, but this barely explores the subject. Btw, Jews were actually killed, if you're going to be triggered by any movie commenting on that fact, I suggest you drop cinema.
I'm going to skip the meme part.
Are you going to base your entire criticism on the fact that it is not "innovative"? I might have to suggest dropping cinema again. I don't know what you consider innovative but unless you explain is just meaningless.
>foreign cinema into a self-deprecating joke
How come? Btw, piling up all "foreing cinema" like that is just stupid.
>The fact is the movie ISN'T those wonderful shots you described:
Have you seen the movie? Did you not see the shots? Are you blind?
> It's a boring road movi
Damn, I tought it was a Holocaust drama. A Holocaust Road Drama actually sounds pretty innovative.
I'm going to ignore the misogyny too.
>with sterile black and white photography set in a sleepy Polish village
Shouldn't be a problem for such an expert on "foreign cinema". What's "sterile" about the photography, by the way?
>How a story unfolds is unimpressive when the story itself is worthless
Yeah, no. Form can perfectly be content and this is the case. Unlike you, I'm not saying the former is the only thing that matter though.
> I came away from Ida no more enlightened or "full" than when I entered it
Too bad for you. Irrelevant tho.
>>
>>66449665
>Are you going to base your entire criticism on the fact that it is not "innovative"
Yeah and you're gonna have to deal with it.
>>
>>66449707
Tell me what is then, and how you define it.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Brzostowica_Ma%C5%82a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidel_revolt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koniuchy_massacre
>>
>>66449599
>>66449794
Fucking hell.
>>
File: miyuki.jpg (55 KB, 966x550) Image search: [Google]
miyuki.jpg
55 KB, 966x550
Sonatine
>>
>>66447187
The ending of The Mist.

...which was NOT the ending in the novella.
>>
>>66448249
Can you tell me what you liked about this? To me it felt like artless button-pushing with no real social or psychological insight behind it.
>>
>>66447187
Nice OP, I really liked that film.

Btw, did anyone else thought something like "alright ladies, HYMEN INSPECTION" at the end?
Idk why I thought that nuns went though an hymen inspection or something to validate that they were virgins so they can really become nuns.
>>
>>66448249
this
>>
>>66447316
>almost all of her family horribly murdered and hidden in a mass grave for so long
>turns out the only family she has is a stalinist prosecutor
>commits suicide over some shit that haunted her anyway
>she can't feel higher emotions that much because of an abandoned child syndrome so she leaves the guy that clearly cared about her
>loneliness and angst all cobbled up inside her
>nunnery is the only thing she can go back to anytime

Gee, I wonder what was so depressing about it.
>>
>>66452225
>>she can't feel higher emotions that much because of an abandoned child syndrome so she leaves the guy that clearly cared about her
Are you stupid? Wlad Thundersax only wanted the virgin pussy, and she only fucked him to get a taste of freedom. She clearly didn't want to live in the outside world where she was all alone, which is why she chose the nunnery again because that's the only thing that gave her life meaning and order in the face of the chaos of the normal life and the past she wanted to seek out. You may find the idea of devoting your entire life to religion depressing, but you can go tip your fedora somewhere else.
>>
>>66450001
Wasn't that depressing
>>
>>66452381
>Wlad Thundersax only wanted the virgin pussy

So that's why he invited her to Gdansk and talked about all these things he wanted to with her with clear affection? Great logic you got there, kiddo.

>She clearly didn't want to live in the outside world where she was all alone, which is why she chose the nunnery again

That's exactly what I said.

>because that's the only thing that gave her life meaning and order in the face of the chaos of the normal life and the past she wanted to seek out.
>gave her life meaning

So that's why she said she can't do it anymore to that statue of Jesus? Face it, she only did because of the first and the third thing, not the second one.

>You may find the idea of devoting your entire life to religion depressing, but you can go tip your fedora somewhere else.

Nice strawman and ad personam, Fedorius. I didn't even imply anything anything like that, yet you went after me like a dog with rabies. You need treatment. You have a bad case of idiocy. But I'm sure it all sounded cool in your head.
>>
>>66448249
Leviathan should have won imo.
>>
babby's first world cinema

>muh won an Oscar means its good
>muh black and white
>muh steady cam finale
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.