[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>your opinion of the nominees for Best Picture at the Oscars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: kek.png (1 MB, 885x622) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
1 MB, 885x622
>your opinion of the nominees for Best Picture at the Oscars and which one you think should win thread

>The Big Short: Slightly worse movie, but similar to Wolf of wallstreet. 7/10, highly enjoyable
>Bridge of Spies: Haven't seen it
>Brooklyn: Melodramatic garbage with 0 conflict. 2/10.
>Mad Max: Enjoyable action, 6/10
>The Martian: Enjoyable, 6/10.
>The Revenant: Surprisingly boring, 4/10
>Room: My pick for best picture. 9/10
>Spotlight: Good story, incredibly boring movie. 3/10.
>>
File: This Actually Happened.jpg (304 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
This Actually Happened.jpg
304 KB, 1600x1065
>The Big Short
3/5, would have rated higher but the cinematography and a few stylistic choices bring it down. Still, one of the most depressing and important comedies of our times.

>Bridge of Spies
3/5, great Spielbergian craftsmanship, strong performances from Tom and Mark Rylance, but a little to neat and a little too schmaltzy considering the high stakes political hotpot surrounding its real historical roots which warranted a thriller instead of a nostalgic fairy tale.

>Mad Max: Fury Road
5/5, might just be the greatest film of the year and the best action film of the decade.

>The Martian
3/5, enjoyable, down to earth science fiction fluff despite the improbability of it all. Best Ridley Scott film in a while.

>The Revenant
2/5, a shlocky Dances With Wolfs wannabee dressed and shot out of sync as something that it is not, with poor Leo having nothing to do but look cold and eat raw fish while Tom Hardy outacts him and provides the only saving grace for this tripe.

>Room
4/5, a great film, one of the best of the year, but not the kind of film that will live with you or one you're likely to revisit. Still, what a breakthrough role for 9 year old Jacob Tremblay. Might just be the next Christian Bale if he keeps at it.

Haven't seen Brooklyn or Spotlight yet.
>>
Spotlight>Room>Mad Mad>Big Short>Revenant>Martian>Brooklyn>Bridge of Spies
>>
>not interested
>looks boring
>saw it, boring
>good
>fun
>okay
>not interested
>not interested
>>
>Bridge of Spies - 6.25/10. Good script, solid performances, a well-executed but pretty safe film.
>Mad Max: Fury Road - 6/10. A legitimately good movie, clear that for a blockbuster they actually wanted to do the best they could, but hardly Best Picture material.
>The Martian - 5/10. Bland.
>The Revenant - 5/10. Gorgeous cinematography but otherwise thoroughly fucking mediocre.
>Room - 6.5/10. Great performances, perceptive script even if a few elements fall flat. Would like to see this win Best Picture too, although somehow it doesn’t seem likely.
Didn’t see The Big Short, Brooklyn or Spotlight.
>>
>>66445419
>>66445911
>>66446106
>Not liking The Revenant
Terrible taste.
>>
>>66446304
Nah, just calling it like I see it, unlike most that are praising it to be honest. I mean, it's like with that Leo should win the Oscar thing. People had already made up their minds before it was even in the theaters.
>>
>>66446304
This.

Watched it today thinking I would go back hom disappointed.
The movie was incredible. Leo is the king and Hardy will be the next one.
That fucking movie was epic as fuck.
>>
The force awakens >>>> shitmax
And it's not even close
>>
>>66447199
>DUDE HAVING OBJECTIVELY WRONG OPINIONS LMAO
>>
>Bridge of Spies
5/10, extremely safe and forgettable flick, nothing remarkable but no problems either
>Mad Max FR
7/10, enjoyable action and great practical effects
>Martian
7/10, the script is complete dogshit but it's pretty fun overall, it's nice to see that Ridley is still able to make a good film
>Spotlight
5/10, looks like a direct-to-video movie but the acting and writing aren't bad. Considering its topic, it might be able to take that golden dildo for Best Picture

I don't give a fuck about Brooklyn and didn't really have the time to watch Room and Big Short. Revenant still doesn't have decent rips.
>>
>>66447171
Facebook is the other way around my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vifYelSTlMo
>>
>>66447171
but it was nonsensical and dumb. and leo is terrible. and the indian side plot made no fucking sense.
>>
>>66445419
The Big Short - 5/10
Bridge of Spies - 7/10
Brooklyn - haven't seen
Mad Max - 8/10
The Martian - 3/10
The Revenant - 3/10
Room - 6/10
Spotligh - 6/10
>>
>Room 3/10
almost as unintentionally funny as The Room
>Brooklyn 6/10
just an okay movie with some pretty shitty writing, and nothing particularly special in it except the unexpectedly great performance from Saoirse
>The Big Short 5/10
"B-banks are evil you guys"
uninspired, unimaginitive, predictable trash
if it weren't for Christian Bale and his character it would have been complete shit, with him is at least somewhat watchable
>Mad Max 6/10
pretty decent special effects, fight scenes and directing
and that's about it
nothing else is even worth mentioning
>Spotlight 8/10
pretty great movie
a simple story about a serious complexed issue that never shoves anything in your face and let's come up with your own concluions(unlike The Big Short) with some great performances all around, especially from Keaton and Ruffalo
>The Revenant 9/10
god-tier cinematography, god-tier directing, masterfully executed action sequences, amazing use of special effects, great perfomrmances, interesting compelling characters, fantastic soundtrack, an inspiring and at moments brutal and hearbreaking story
if the script wasn't so straightforward it would have literally be perfect
>The Martian
haven't seen it
>Bridge of Spies
haven't seen it, and i won't see it, because i don't watch Spielkike garbage
>>
>>66447695
>>66447199
>>
>>66447471
The Martian was a good flick
>>
>>66445419
>Brooklyn: Melodramatic garbage with 0 conflict. 2/10.

Don't review movies for a living
>>
>>66445419
>The Big Short
7/10, actors are the only major quality
>Bridge of Spies
6/10, haven't even seen it but as a true patrician here's a rating anyway
>Brooklyn
7.5/10, haven't seen it either
>Mad Max
8/10, best flick in a while
>The Martian
7.5/10, Decent production saved a mediocre script
>The Revenant
8/10, ok film
>Room
8/10, You think I have time to watch all these Oscar bait flicks; haven't seen
>Spotlight
8/10, My pick for best picture, which really sums up how weak of a year it was
>>
>>66447471
>still doesn't have decent rips

do you seriously watch movies at home? kill yourself
>>
which ones are blatant oscar bait?
>>
>>66447171
Hey reddit
>>
I haven't watched Bridge of Spies and Brooklyn, and I only think there are 3 possible winners

>Mad Max
9/10 Instant classic, I would be surprised if this wins best picture, but it will win at least 3 or 4 of the technical awards
>The Revenant
10/10 Masterpiece, fite me
>Room
8.5/10
The concept is really interesting, it has a lot of substance, but it also has some obvious flaws. It's one of those movies that really grows on you though.
>>
>>66448082
Spotlight and Bridge of Spies but neither are as shameless as the Turing/Hawkins biopics last year
>>
>>66448395
The Revenant was Oscar bait if I've ever seen it
It had artistic intentions but tell me changes weren't made to bait the academy
>>
>>66448518
I meant capital-O Oscar Bait, obviously all of these but Mad Max were financed in the hopes of winning awards, thats just the business
>>
The Revanant is one of the worst films I've seen all year. I think it's even worse than Youth.
>>
>>66448226
Mad Max was not best picture good.
>>
>>66445419
Mad Max should win because it was the greatest cinematic contribution to the dismantling of the patriarchy
>>
>>66445419
I disagree
>>
Good movie tier:
>The Revenant
9/10, best film of the year. Beautiful all around, compelling story, great acting. Has great rewatch potential.
>Room
8/10 Compelling movie, doesn't have much rewatch value though, close 2nd to Revenant

Shitty current issue movie tier:
>Spotlight
4/10, muh evil religion, muh virtuous journalism, hamfisted acting for all
>Big Short
4/10, muh evil banks, muh virtuous little guy, hamfisted acting from everyone except Bale

Action movie tier:
>The Martian
>Mad Max

Haven't seen tier:
>Bridge of Spies
>Brooklyn
>>
Most deserving to least:

Mad Max
Brooklyn
The Revenant
Bridge of Spies
Spotlight
Room
The Big Short
The Martian
>>
File: 1334604151643.png (729 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1334604151643.png
729 KB, 800x600
This year's Oscars
>>
>>66448885
mad max isnt even a great action flick dont know why people keep acting like its the best film of the year.
>>
>>66449012
It's not the best film of the year. It's the best nominated film, though.
>>
>>66449012
It's best of the nominees. Ex Machina was the best film desu
>>
>tfw thought Sicario was nominated for Best Picture this entire time
Well fuck me, I need to do a better job of keeping up with shit.
>>
>>66449012
El contrariarian

Anyways
Room and Fury Road are equally deserving. I'd go with Max though, film-making wise.

Revenant

The rest are well made useless movies that you'll watch one time only and forget about it
>>
>Bridge of Spies: Slow, but extremely well-made with excellent performances and writing. 8/10
>Mad Max: Fun action movie, a very good one, really. Would be interesting to see it win out of the novelty of a non-drama, but I don't think it actually deserves it. 7/10
>The Martian: Best use of 3D I've seen since Avatar, a nice message of world cooperation and a great movie, with some weak writing. 8/10
>The Revenant: Terrible script, near-flawless everything else. 7/10

>Spotlight
>Brooklyn
>Room
>The Big Short
I haven't seen these four.

Of the four I've seen, Bridge of Spies deserves it but The Revenant will win. Honestly I think The Hateful Eight was better than any of the nominees I've seen.
>>
I want Mad Max to win
martian, revenant, bridge are pretty average
room was okay, I dont even want to know what brooklyn is about, looking at the poster it's too anesthetic for me
havent seen big short and spotlight
>>
Spotlight or Room
>mad max
garbage ending
>brooklyn
woman shit
>bridge of spies
didn't see it
>big short
agenda
>the martian
boring
>revenant
mediocre
>>
>>66445419
Room completely steals the show.
>>
I cant be too hard on the Martian because the first time I watched it I enjoyed it, but subsequent viewings have been pretty rough. It's really not very good.
>>
File: O3lsMh_wjR-l.jpg (50 KB, 594x394) Image search: [Google]
O3lsMh_wjR-l.jpg
50 KB, 594x394
>>66447779
>the big short
>predictable
>>
>>66449239
Room >>>>>>>>>>> Fury Road

Fury road is entertaining mindless action, but it's literally nothing else.
>>
Mad Max for the Win. Had the most feeling, looking and sounding.

And these are better nominees:

http://freakyleaks.org/2016/02/27/the-omar-awards/

Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
Bone Tomahawk
Room
The Big Short
Tangerine
What We Do in the Shadows
the Hateful 8
>>
>>66448922
nah that is next year
>>
>>66449279
>Best use of 3D I've seen since Avatar
did you not see gravity?
>>
>>66451266
I actually didn't at the movies, no.
>>
>>66447779
>excessively hates 9/10 movies listed
>hyperbolic praise to the one you liked
on par for /tv/, surprised most lists weren't this stupid
>>
>>66445419
>big short
B-. surprisingly decent, but not really anything special. kinda shocked i didn't hate it.

>bridge of spies
A-. probably the best of these, and one of the berg's best films.

>brooklyn
B. pretty good, but again, not really special. sometimes feels like ford-lite so that's something and it wonderfully low-key. not really sure why this is a best picture nom though.

>mad max: fr
A-. pretty great. definitely rooting for miller for director (of course that'll never happen but i can dream). about as good as the spielberg

>the martian
C+. not great, but not terrible. i like parts, but this is aggressively mediocre. ridely scott is worst scott.

>the revenant
C+/B-. another one i surprisingly didn't hate. that being said, this is about half an hour too long, and that half hour is filled with (and i hate to use this word) pretentious bullshit and posturing that really hampers the really solid revenge action film that's itching to get out

>room
C-. easily the worst of them. absolutely nothing special about it; it is proto-typical indie schlock.

>spotlight
B-/C+. servicable is the only word that really describes it. again not special, not particularly interesting, but solid.

overall, not really much here that is truly bad or even baffling, which is more than i can say for most years, and they even nominated some actually good/great films.
>>
I still have to see Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn and Room. Which should I watch tonight? Anything not super slow and boring?
>>
Brooklyn and The Revenant are the ultimate casual filters, if you don't like those films then you need to leave this board and acquire some taste
>>
>>66448841
He doesn't realize banks and religion are evil
>>
>>66451838
Big short then. Even if you don't think it's best picture it's really enjoyable
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (48 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
48 KB, 479x720
>>66452129
>>
>big short
6/10
>bridge of spies
6/10
>brooklyn
2/10
>mad max
5/10
>martian
2/10
>revenant
2/10
>room
3/10
>spotlight
2/10

absolute trash, like usual. big short should win
>>
Room deserves it hands down no questions asked.
>>
>>66447695
The Indian sub plot strengthens the overall theme of revenge. Fucking films 101.
>>
How many of you faggots downloaded and watched and now love Room because Mike and Jay love it?
>>
>>66455912
I'm going to be completely honest, I had no interest in watching it until they mentioned it. I had only heard of it because it was nominated and didn't know anything about it. Watched it tonight and thought it was great though.
>>
>>66445419
>the big short
it was pretty good. they made a boring topic and story interesting. 7/10
>bridge of spies
i didn't like it. it's a well made movie with good performances but the characters were kind of flat and there was little to no tension. 5/10
>brooklyn
i haven't seen it but it doesn't look like my kind of flick.
>mad max
i lean towards action movies and i thought it was great. this is my pick for winner but that's not going to happen ever. 8/10
>the martian
matt damon's character is too good at everything and experiences no kind of character change despite being in an incredibly shitty situation and that really bothered me. 4/10
>the revenant
looked good, didn't play so good. 5/10
>room
i haven't seen it yet.
>spotlight
oscar bait and totally forgettable. 3/10
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.