[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well this was underwhelming. Best thing I can say about it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: primer-featured.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
primer-featured.jpg
301 KB, 1920x1080
Well this was underwhelming. Best thing I can say about it is that I will give Upstream Color a chance.
>>
>>66444772
I enjoyed this. What I didn't like was during the opening scenes when all four of them are interrupting each other, cutting each other off, and trying to talk over each other. That really irritated me and almost made me turn it off. I found the rest of the movie easier to understand than those scenes.
>>
aaron literally did nothing wrong
>>
That guy broke up with Alison Brie because he was jelly of her success.
>>
This is one of the best written movies I've ever seen, not in the sense that the story is one of the best, but in the way that there is pretty much zero exposition. Can anyone recommend other movies with no or next to no exposition?

P.S. the production as a whole is also incredible for an indie movie by a first time writer-director, but it's even more impressive that Carruth is the ultimate Auteur with his first movie already (also directing himself as the lead doing the cinematography, the post-production and scoring the soundtrack). I give it a 9/10
>>
>pleb jannies just deleted a Carruth thread a few hours ago
>>
Shane Carruth has the carreer I want to have. Make a great movie that is truly mine, earn a couple of million (I'd settle for rent and bare necessities, to be honest) so I can afford to fuck off for some years to to write and try and make a new movie that is still truly mine, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>66445968
Kill List had little exposition and it's 10/10 imo
>>
>>66446457
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>66444772
Upstream Color is amazing, I liked it way more than Primer
>>
>>66446408
>Carruth has made millions

lolno
>>
>>66446698
second this. i don't really have a good understanding of why, but i was glued to upstream color for the entire duration
>>
>>66445695
aaron was literally a time travelling hitler
>>
>>66445867
Carruth?
>>
>>66446457
>falling for the Kill List meme
It's beyone overrated
>>
Didn't he give himself the idea/plans for the time travel shit before he ever made it or something?
>>
>>66446802
He sells both Upstream Color and Primer on his website through VHX, is writer, producer, director, DP, and star (distributer on Upstream Color, as well). Both movies made around 550k USD on very limited theater releases. Primer being a cult hit, it's safe to assume it made the bulk of its revenue on VHX/DVD. Primer has been out for 9 years and people haven't stopped talking about it or discovering it. I think it's safe to say he's made at least 1 - 1.5 million from Primer alone. For a movie that "well known", 1.5 million over 9 years is a pretty conservative estimate, and that's just Primer.
>>
>>66447075
if he did i doubt he would've voluntarily involved a second person
>>
>>66447047
I'm the guy that asked for recommendations, and I must say, it doesn't look very promising.
>>
>>66447165
It's got a mildly entertaining twist, but that's about it.
>>
>>66447132
Then why is he directing pharmaceutical commercials in France to make ends meet?
>>
>>66447343
maybe because making $1.5M isn't an infinite amount of money
>>
Any other sci-fi like this? I saw decoherence and it was pretty good.
>>
>>66447437
The Sound Of My Voice
>>
>>66447437

Time Crimes is bretty gud
>>
>>66447343
Why are A and B-list actors doing commercials all the time? It's a profession, more money > less money. plus, 1.5 million is not a lot of money, anon, in lots of careers (e.g. in IT, law, business) you can make that much in less than nine years.
>>
>>66447516
*Los Cronoscrimnes
>>
>>66447459
thanks for the rec
>>66447516
saw it already, thanks though
>>
>>66447535
Los Cronocrimenes*
>>
>>66447075
No. The machine in the movie can't take you any further back than the moment it's turned on.

> Build the machine and turn it on.
> Wait a day.
> Get in the machine and wait for a day.
> Come out a day earlier than when you went in.
> Avoid yourself and everyone else. Bet on stuff because you know the outcomes.
> Profit!

Better yet:
> Build a machine and turn it on.
> Build another machine and turn it on.
> Wait a day.
> Get in the second machine for a day.
> Come out a day ago.
> Fuck it up because time travel never goes well, what were you thinking?
> Get in the first machine for a day and a bit.
> Come out more than a day ago, before you came out of the second machine and fucked everything up.
> Try to fix things, but but make everything worse instead.
> Seriously, what were you thinking?

You will note that your ability to use the machine is limited by how long you can stay jammed in a small box with limited food, water, and air. The characters in the movie end up suffering health problems due to abusing the system and pushing their limits with the "failsafe" machines.

Also it's implied that at least one of them, instead of avoiding himself, on his second (third? fourth? nth.) run-through, drugs himself and locks himself in the attic and takes over his own life.
>>
>>66447047
>>66447165
>>66447237
Figures the primerfag would be a massive pleb
>>
>>66447437
Time Lapse
>>
>>66447579
You're responding to at least two different people, friend ;^)
>>
>>66447579
It's really not that great at all
>>
Upstream Color is a good movie. It's kinda confusing, but you don't need a bunch of charts and shit to figure it out like Primer.

I haven't seen Primer in years, but I remember it being needlessly convoluted. Carruth is a talented guy though. I believe he made the soundtrack for Upstream Color as well
>>
>>66447577
>drugs himself and locks himself in the attic and takes over his own life
I don't think that was implied. It was a significant plot point.
>>
>>66447459
>tfw no Brit Marling in a Carruth film
>>
>>66447047
In a thread about Primer, you're focusing on the wrong overrated movie.
>>
>>66448426
Nah, it's not enough of a meme to be called overrated
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.