[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled..does /tv/ like Finn? It isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 21
Now that the dust has settled..does /tv/ like Finn? It isn't November 2014 anymore. You've seen the movie, you've seen the character interactions, you've seen the heroics.

Now, memes aside, what were your honest thoughts on him?
>>
I liked his character a lot.

of course i'm a filthy redditor, so i'll see myself out...
>>
Pretty uninteresting character
>>
I thought the actor was good but the actual character of Finn was too goofy and "tryna be a funny guy" for someone who was raised as a stormtrooper to kill and see horrors or whatever.
>>
>>65136803
I think the actor was fine, he just needed a more interesting character to work with
>>
>>65136803
Yes, I speak for /tv/, we like Finn.
>>
He was funny energetic, and contributed to the story and what was happening around him as opposed to just becoming a background comic relief character.
kinda like sokka in last airbender.
I think they overdid it just a wee bit with his dialogue in some parts. the sanitation part was a bit too silly, and "got a cute boyfriend" was eye roll worthy. other than that purty good
>>
>>65136803
He was a relatively unsuccessful comic relief with nonsensical motivations.

Still not buying the whole JEDA KNATZ N SHIEEEEEET. But he wasn't awful. Oscar Isaac carried him through.
>>
i thought his name was jar-jar
>>
>>65136803
/tv/ thinks Finn was passable

Rey was a two dimensional Mary Sue
>>
>>65136803
He was a lot better than rey desu so yes
>>
>>65136803
I just saw the movie tonight. He was a good character. Completely pointless except for comedy relief.
>>
>>65136803
i never doubted him. he did a good job and his character, after the whole personal 180, was gud
>>
>>65136864
This
>>
>>65136803
He and Poe were the best new characters. Can't wait to see the bromance fully unfold in the coming sequels.
>>
>>65136803
he was OK, he had too much screen time for what his character had to offer though.
>>
>>65136920
How was he pointless when he was responsible for getting the map to the resistance?
>>
File: keepcrying.jpg (9 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
keepcrying.jpg
9 KB, 226x223
>wasn't force sensitive
>not romantically linked to female lead

remember when this board was worried he was the main hero that got the girl?
>>
>>65136803
I am a representative of Tumblr. I am triggered that Finn wasn't an overweight female in a wheelchair who promotes my values. The way he touched Reys hand made me sick to my stomach.
>>
Didn't mind him but I felt the lightsaber fight played him up too much(I don't buy the force sensitive theory)
>>
>>65136915
Rey was prequel tier. Ridley's acting was so wooden, I wasn't prepared for all the praise she got. Her and Carrie Fisher dragged the whole movie down with their no-effort line delivery.
>>
>>65136967
He is force sensitive though, not super powerful but sensitive enough to feel bad about his comrades dying and killing random civvies despite his conditioning.
>>
>>65136803
all the new characters were pretty likable, personality-wise
his backstory is ok-we-get-it short and outside the scope of the character, so that's fine
>>
File: 1132523538916.jpg (52 KB, 628x474) Image search: [Google]
1132523538916.jpg
52 KB, 628x474
>>65136803

>Now that the dust has settled..
>Now, memes aside
>>
>>65136967
>not romantically linked to female lead

Did you even watch the film?
>>
I thought he and Poe were great. They were both really expressive and dynamic, very fun to watch. Rey was alright, but way less interesting than those two. I'm hoping the next movie is gonna have a big focus on Finn and Poe teaming up and going on some mission while Rey is getting trained by Luke.
>>
his lines seemed out of place sometimes like that part with han nodding his head
>>
File: ugh.jpg (29 KB, 467x461) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
29 KB, 467x461
>>65137011
>but sensitive enough to feel bad about his comrades dying

so the midcorinians are just our conscience?
>>
>>65136803
Finn. /sigh. What an unbelievably wasted character. He is essentially Jar Jar without the CGI (Jar Jar was played by a black actor too fyi). Most, if not all, of the movie he shouts out one liners, including a little talked about 'Droid Please'. We all know what that line is apeing. It's shameful. The Boyfriend line.. god.. so awful. Why would a Stormtrooper even know what a boyfriend is? Stormtroopers should not even care about sex. It should have basically been drilled out of them from an early age (following the supposed origins of StormTroopers in TFAverse that they were kidnapped kids..). If you're focused on building a great soldier, you sure in f' don't want them giving a f' about sex. The other screen time he has is largely relegated to making Rey look even better, being the bumbling fool people hate Jar Jar for being.

But then, this guy who just grew a conscience, lost one of or his only friend/brother decides he wants to leave The First Order, he can't be forced to kill innocent people. What happens next should legitimately make people sick to their stomachs. Not only does he rescue the man who killed his brother/friend, he proceeds to violently, remorselessly kill StormTroopers in the hangar. If Finn was just in sanitation not long ago, how many of those Troopers that he just brutally kills were in sanitation or equally kill-free jobs? These troopers were raised just as he was. He should LOVE these people, regardless of what they may or may not have done to this point. It should TEAR him apart to be abandoning these people that he has shared the entirety of his life with.

But no. He not only kills them, escaping with the man who killed his best friend, he goes on to mercilessly and remorselessly kill more.He then becomes instant friends with this guy, and plenty of other shameful crap along the way.
>>
>>65136967
>not force sensitive
do people not notice that he hears the screams of the people dying when the not death star blows up the whole government or whatever
he's just not a woman so he couldn't beat kylo ren with no training and a pep talk
>>
>>65137067
I mean he has enough space magic to literally feel the pain of other people dying.
>>
>>65137120
Rey is Luke's daughter and has some training. cap it.
>>
>>65137040
>not going to happen
>Episode VIII: Rey-p of the sith
>>
I "Like" him in the same way I'd like an adorable child who is slow in the brain. I think they're leaving a lot of room for his character progress in a hero's journey kind of way.
All I could think while watching him was
>You never tell another traveler on the road your true quest.
>>
File: 54258.jpg (52 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
54258.jpg
52 KB, 1200x800
I thought the actor was fine, but the character himself is weird. How could someone be so upbeat after a life of indoctrination as a stormtrooper? I feel like he should have had some backward views that showed how the First Order had taught him to act, which would show how the First Order itself is backward and shouldn't have control of the galaxy. Instead he's just a good guy all on his own and somehow overcame everything that happened to him.

Next, I don't know where his character fits in for the other movies. He plays a role that might be similar to Han's, but at the end of TFA, he isn't really anybody. He has no skills, isn't force sensitive, has no connections, etc.
>>
>>65137091
>Stormtroopers should not even care about sex.
I love when the hardcore autistics forget that this board belongs to normies now and just start spotuing spergum at us.
>>
File: 1453339095310.jpg (299 KB, 1035x1546) Image search: [Google]
1453339095310.jpg
299 KB, 1035x1546
>>65137091
>Stormtroopers should not even care about sex.

Dude. Sex is the only thing any living creature cares about.
>>
>>65136803
Finn is a shit character
Boyega is based, he's Mark Hamill 2.0
He's a nice guy, humble, and embracing his franchise. Also a manlet.
>>
>>65137478
Too bad about him objectively fugly
>>
>>65137492
>caring about how a man looks
>>
>>65137536
I prefer my big black bulls to be handsome.
>>
>>65137189
This guy knows what he's talking about. Honestly the movie felt so rushed to me. Had his character dealt with the fact that he was a stormtrooper, we might have gotten a glimpse into what the first order really was, and why there was a resistance fighting it instead of the new republic. I was hoping for some cool interaction between the old empire, new republic, and the new factions - but Abrams decided he wanted none of that.
>>
he's a shitty character like almost every character in a generic blockbuster. Jesus you have to be a moron not to see that.
>>
>>65137492
he's not though
>>
>>65137091
Holy shit, until you pointed this out I never really thought about that. And that's probably half the problem. The movie was going at ludicrous speed so you didn't have time to think about the characters.
>>
>>65136803
>Doesn't want to shoot people
>Proceeds to shoot everybody
>>
>>65136803
ugly sweaty nigger, but i never bothered watching the flick
>>
>>65136803
I thought he was acted better than Kylo and Rey, and written better than both as well.
The only issue I had was that Finn doesn't do the huffing and puffing very well.

How hard is it to get him to run on the spot for five minutes before yelling "action"? That's an issue with both Abrams and Boyega, though.
>>
>>65137189 and >>65137091 nail it exactly.

Boyega wasn't a bad actor but I have no interest in seeing more of Finn, particularly if he's going to sweat profusely in every scene. I don't know why JJ chose to show him that way. It was distracting.
>>
>>65136803
I like him, fuck everyone else though.
>>
he was OK, I liked him. I also hope he isn't really in the next two movies. His character isn't that interesting and his comic relief role will get old.
>>
He was good
>>
>>65137189
Seriously, how does one out of potentially millions of Stormtroopers decide that they're a "good guy" all of a sudden?
>>
>>65137027
Nigga, she expressed disinterest in him at the end.
>>
>>65137027
forehead kiss of friendship doesn't count
>>
>>65136803
he felt like a sitcom character.
I would have liked the movie much more if poe/oscar isaac switched with finn/john boyega, with the best fighter pilot being some goofy black guy we hardly see and the ex storm trooper being the dashing kind of badass guy.
>>
>>65137189
>>65137091
this senpai

but also Boyega I thought overacted his enthusiasm during the comedic parts, enough to break my immersion. like dude settle down we get it, you're excited.

In the other parts, he's serviceable to good. Nothing really special.
>>
I enjoyed attack the block and I think he's a versatile actor but TFA was a shambles of a movie and it's a shame being black had more to do with why he got the role than his acting ability.
>>
He was good but a couple of his goofy moments were really out of place
>>
>>65136864
He said he was raised by the empire since he was a child right? so the empire are the only people he's ever spent time with in the entirety of his life.

Where the fuck does he get his morals from? his personality?
>>
>>65136864

If the stormtroopers are so indoctrinated, how did he even have any semblance of a personality? Why didn't the conditioning work well on him?
>>
>>65138779
>>65138786
Because of yolo AND swag
>>
>>65138608
>It broke your immersion that someone was excited
Mate, really?
>>65138779
I'm sure even Nork soldiers banter and talk about stupid shit. It's just how it is dude, is it that hard to believe that out of the millions of First Order troops that there are some outliers? They're not robots
>>
>>65136803
Most interesting new character in 7 tbqh familia. Kind of a shame he didn't get a redemption arc, but hopefully it'll happen in the next few movies. I do hope he does become a Jedi.
>>
>>65136803
>mfw he gets a purple saber in episode 9
>"Finn, we found Snoke"
>"He's the Sith Lord behind all of this"
>>
File: Cap Full Retard.jpg (93 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cap Full Retard.jpg
93 KB, 1920x1080
>>65136912
MUH MAREY SUE MAYMAY!!

Don't know what Mary Sue is but we sure do love it!!!!
>>
File: confirmed for autism.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
confirmed for autism.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>65138779
>Implying things don't develop personalities in captivity.
>Implying there wasn't downtime where they all hung out.
The clones all had different personalities and motivations, and they were fucking clones.
>>65138786
If the North Koreans are so indoctrinated, how do they have any semblance of a personality?
>Why didn't the conditioning work well on him?
Why doesn't conditioning work well on the occasional rat, or monkey, or anything else in scientific conditioning experiments. Why do surveys and studies and experiment have to try and account for unexpected variance in human behavior?

Almost like he's one of the main characters in the story because he's special or something. Almost like there'd be fucking no point on following the 99% of storm troopers that towed the line without question.
>>
Finn was the best out of the new characters. He's flawed in an endearing way, and for once his strenghts are outside of his fighting abilities.

Also, dat bromance.
>>
>>65136803
I actually really liked him, I thought he was funny and played the role well. He had more screentime than Poe "I wish I was a woman so Poe Dameron could impregnate me" Dameron, and had character flaws unlike Rey.
>>
>>65137091
Pretty much spot on.

>OH YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME

It's a character kidnapped as a baby, raised to a soldier and never had a name; let's make him sassy.
>>
>>65136803
He was good.
>>
>>65139641
that webm is so sexy, who is that girl so I can look up the video?
>>
I'm a /pol/fag but Finn did a pretty damn good job
I liked the character a lot
>>
>>65137091
I think the Spartans which were one of the most famous warrior races did have a fair bit of homosexuality going through their ranks.

I might just be sprouting shit though.
>>
>>65138952
I thought it was distracting. At some points he's more like an autistic fanboy instead of a professional actor. Don't know what to tell ya
>>
>>65137091
This is working off so many assumptions. We don't know the Stormstrooper regiment in the new canon; we don't know how their indoctrination works; we don't know how successful it is; we don't know much about their general practices. The idea that they'd be able to somehow suppress inherent human emotions is in fact discredited by how much they care about Finn defecting. Also, we have stories of people leaving dictatorial regimes after being indoctrinated in real life. They don't somehow lose their ability to be funny, or relate to other human beings. These are inherent traits; you don't just lose them.

As for Finn shooting countless Stormtroopers after he decides not to kill, you seem to be forgetting a key aspect to this: they're shooting at him. Finn doesn't consciously decide to join the Resistance until half way through the film. Up until he makes that choice, he's simply shooting other stormtroopers in self-defense. He's attempting to run away, but they don't allow him to.

The worst part of this post is that it implies that the Star Wars universe should abide by real-world emotions. So Leia should be depressed for years after they blow up Alderaan. Luke and Han shouldn't cheer after they kill hundreds of thousands of workers and contractors when they blow up the Death Star. Luke should actually look horrified when he finds the charred remains of his aunt and uncle at his home on Tatooine. Star Wars is a space opera, it's never been concerned with realistically-drawn characters.
>>
>>65136803
No he was pretty boring and no depth.
>>
>>65136803
I think Boyega did a good job with what he got. The character itself was terribly written tho and made no sense, basically a token comedy black guy. Zero background, 0 potential for the future.
>>
>>65141689
>Zero background
He had more of a background than either Rey or Kylo Ren. He has an actual arc in the movie.
>>
>>65141713
Kylo Ren did have an arc. Rey is mary sue.
>>
However you feel about his character, Boyega is genuinely nice guy and everyone here should feel bad for shitting on him before they saw the movie
>>
AW HELL NAW
>>
>>65138779

Some people are born loud and rebellious especially blacks
>>
>>65141749
Kylo Ren is a good character, but this film only begins his arc. He doesn't have a complete one. He ends off in the same position with the same beliefs he started with. Like Vader, his arc will probably span all three movies.
>>
>>65136803
>Come and get it. RAAAAAAAAAAAHHHRRRR

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1452301192285.jpg (196 KB, 1000x655) Image search: [Google]
1452301192285.jpg
196 KB, 1000x655
>>65141607
God damnit tripfag you're still around defending TFA? how many times do you have to get destroyed because you are absolute shit at debate? It's pathetic man, move on.
>>
>>65141805
zzz. People claim this guy has depth as a villain because we see some vulnerabilities. He acts EXACTLY like Anakin does in AOTC with different motivations (queue 'i'm the best' song). 'It'll be explained later there's still two movies!' Is of course the response to questioning why he is being led around the nose by Gollum Snoke. Why he suddenly murdered a bunch of jedis being trained under Lukey boy. He is literally the son of Han and Leia and somehow doesn't know that Vader killed the Emperor and turned to the not-dark side (there actually isn't a light side..). I.just.dont.even. We are given no motivation for anything he does. He doesn't even let on his motivations, almost like the writers haven't written them... He cares that some rando stormtrooper turned on them (ok then.) Tantrums somehow make him 3-dimensional...

It's seriously like some people have no idea whatsoever what makes villains memorable and last for so long. Vader, Joker, Sauron, etc etc. These villains last forever because they do something you don't immediately understand. They invoke and capture your fear. You hypothetically come face to face with any of these villains and just KNOW you would be terrified. Kylo? Sure, he may kill you in person, but are you really going to feel even a fraction of the fear that you would from those villains? Maul was devoid of personality to our knowledge and yet his very physical form remains seared in Star Wars brains forever.

I'm sorry, tantrums and vulnerabilities do not make your villain magically have depth, unless maybe you really like Twilight then I guess I'm just in the wrong.
>>
The actor is good but the character is awful, underdeveloped and nonsensical.
>>
>>65141713
Non of it made any sense to what the character actual was though.

It's like pulling a random guy from a street and trying to convince your friends he is a bred soldier, trained in killing and tactics from his early childhood. Some friends might give you benefit of the doubt, but then after they talk to the guy for two hours, its clear you were full of shit, because the guy didnt play along.
>>
>>65141867
>He is literally the son of Han and Leia and somehow doesn't know that Vader killed the Emperor and turned to the not-dark side (there actually isn't a light side..).
He actually does know. That's the entire impetus for him killing his father: he's trying to avoid the same familial weakness that seduced Vader to the light. Why are you making all of these assumptions?
>I.just.dont.even.
Do you happen to be of the feminine gender?

>He doesn't even let on his motivations
>These villains last forever because they do something you don't immediately understand.
Nice contradiction.
>>
>>65141713
Better to have the blank slates, at the very least you can conjecture, better than having characterisation and background at odds like Finn.
>>
>>65141922
See>>65141607
>>
>>65136803
He's an okay character, albeit with a lot of room for development. One has to wonder: Has the Empire's brainwashing system really turned that much to shit? If anything, the First Order seems to be more zealous than the Empire. So there'a a chance there'a something bigger behind Finn's desertion. Anyway, the one big problem with the character is that he was turned into a mere comic relief about one third into the movie, just to have him be in some dramatic action scenes later. They could've done better in that regard. And yet, as I said: There's a lot of room for development there.
>>
>>65141965
proves my point, thanks
>>
>>65141981
>Has the Empire's brainwashing system really turned that much to shit?
One exception doesn't mean that the entire process is shit. Also, fate, destiny, the force, etc. You can find any excuse for his defection.
>>
>>65142014
As I said: We're left to wonder whether there's something bigger behind his defection. A nice, unobtrusive hidden sequel hook, if you will.A part of me still trusts Kasdan to be able to tie up some loose ends already in Ep. VIII, just as he did between TESB and ROTJ
>>
>>65141607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>65142474
You bumped this thread to post a meme?
>>
File: 1441704412825.gif (1 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1441704412825.gif
1 MB, 600x338
>>65142508
I bumped the thread to tell the trip fag to learn how anonymous image board culture works, and that he's doing the exact opposite of what this web site is designed to do.

Get rid of your fucking trip code you autistic spastic.
>>
>>65142581
>being this mad that someone put a name above their post
Is he the autistic one?
>>
>>65139641
Nobody is suggesting we need a realistic view of indoctrinated storm troopers. But a little back story on finn would have helped. He has literally no back story in this movie.
>>
File: 1438871695184.jpg (44 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1438871695184.jpg
44 KB, 350x350
>>65142606
>misrepresenting my argument

fuck off sub 100 IQ sped. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the trip faggot posting anonymously now.
>>
>>65141429
Athenians were the most homo. Spartans were known for training their bitches like men and letting them mix in training and in war. So they probably got enough poon to not need the cockpit so much.
>>
>>65142607
>no backstory
As opposed to Luke or Han in Episode IV? Or Rey in TFA? What exactly do you mean by "backstory"?
>>
I enjoyed Poe and Kylo more but I think Finn was a great character.
>>
File: 1443873583047.jpg (8 KB, 200x196) Image search: [Google]
1443873583047.jpg
8 KB, 200x196
>>65142641
Both Luke and Han's back story is evident in A New Hope.

Luke was a moisture farmer? and he lived a life of solace of Tatooine doing his duties, far from the nearest city.

Han Solo was a bounty hunter who was in debt to a mob boss figure Jabba the Hutt after ditching a load of spice to avoid the empire.
>>
>>65142725
Finn is a Stormtrooper who was taken as a child by the First Order. His indoctrination failed, and he decided to defect during his first combat mission. How is this less of a backstory than Luke's?
>>
>>65142751
His backstory doesn't hint at what he's like, what his aspirations are.

Both Luke and Han's back story tells who what they are like as a character BEFORE you even see their actions in the movie. Han's the scoundrel rouge character, Luke is the farm boy with big aspirations of greatness.

You can't really determine anything about Finn's character from the back story apart from the fact that he jumps from one indoctrination (First order) to another (rebels) for reasons.
>>
>>65142797
You're really reaching, aren't you? First he has no backstory, now the problem is that his backstory doesn't properly characterize him. We get how he must have lived and his motivation for choosing to run from his backstory, which is more than we can say for Luke. We don't get Luke's apparent aspirations from his backstory, we get it from scenes and dialogue. There's nothing about being a farmboy that automatically implies aspirations of greatness.
>>
arent you abit old to watch star wars?
>>
File: 1448179621343.jpg (69 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1448179621343.jpg
69 KB, 498x482
>>65142859
It doesn't characterize him at all. Also there is very little back story, what did he do training for the First Order, what was his life like? what was he taught, and what did he do?

We do get Luke's aspiration of greatness, or rather adventure, he says he wants to join up as a pilot and explore the galaxy.
>>
>>65142956
>We do get Luke's aspiration of greatness, or rather adventure, he says he wants to join up as a pilot and explore the galaxy.
Which we get from the dialogue and scenes, not his backstory.

And yes, Finn's backstory does add to his characterization. Him feeling like he needed to run, him attempting to make right by joining the Resistance, him being trained in combat. All of this comes from the fact that he was an indoctrinated Stormtrooper.
>>
>>65143012
>Him feeling like he needed to run

Despite the fact that he's been indoctrinated his entire life.

>him attempting to make right by joining the Resistance

despite the fact that he's been indoctrinated his entire life that these are the bad guys.

Sure he has characterization from his back story, it's just that it makes literally no sense.
>>
>>65143060
>Despite the fact that he's been indoctrinated his entire life.
The film deals with this. It implies that it was the first time he actually saw combat, and there's a major distinction between training for something and seeing it up close.

>despite the fact that he's been indoctrinated his entire life that these are the bad guys.
There are literal real life cases of people leaving cults and regimes that they've been indoctrinated into. Somehow it's unbelievable that a guy would chose to desert after seeing the real-world effects of the ideology he was brought up under? Despite the fact that this literally happens in real life?
>>
>>65143140
>There are literal real life cases of people leaving cults and regimes that they've been indoctrinated into.

Yea when they get some fucking evidence that the group they're under is horrible and evil, Finn literally didn't know what any other group was like, and didn't know that the actions his group were taking was much more heinous then any of the other choices.

He just leaves because he has to move the plot forward, what a snore fest.
>>
>>65136803
>is a nigger
>thirst thing he does is too steal a tie fighter
>second thing he does is to drink like a animal
>third thing he does is to deny he´s a gangster

mfw
>>
He did not seem like he fit the setting at all, he seemed like an African American insert played by a British African, it was just jarring. The humour was just wacky reactions, it was literally like a Let's Play within a star wars film.

He didn't really add anything to the film plot-wise but he just made it more accessible, it's hard to look at the character as being a main character when he has next to no motivation and just bumbles through, but then, that is pretty much every character in this film, they just do shit.
>>
>>65143223
Because he saw somebody he knew get killed in front of him, because he saw civilians get killed in front of him. That's pretty basic level right and wrong, that's enough evidence for him to start doubting his training. You see his panic and confusion and struggle with it. I think these scenes implied that Finn is an empathetic character. Don't be fucking dense.
>>
>>65143223
>Yea when they get some fucking evidence that the group they're under is horrible and evil,
Which is what happens in TFA. Finn sees the affects of battle, and how morally bankrupt the First Order was and he decided to run.

>Finn literally didn't know what any other group was like
Which is why he doesn't join them immediately. He attempts to run away both from the First Order and the Resistance, and only joins the Resistance after they help him escape and sees (on Maz's planet) how they're simply defending themselves from the First Order.

>and didn't know that the actions his group were taking was much more heinous then any of the other choices
He couldn't gather that by the way they killed innocent civilians while chasing him down? Is he that clueless?
>>
Memes a side. I think what Disney is doing with these new characters is pretty cool. It gives a new generation heroes to identify with.

My wifes kid really looks up to finn and thanks to star wars I think we finally have something to bond over.
>>
>>65143239

epin fellow memester, can I screencap this?
>>
>>65136803
Nope, and he looks disgusting in pic related. Though he looks disgusting all of the time.
>>
>>65136803
>memes aside
>honest thoughts
Do you know where you are, OP?
>>
>>65137027
*Female*, bro, pay attention.
>>
... oh god, I just realized he's r2 d2. He escapes at the start, he wanders the desert until he's found by the desert-dwelling subsistence skywalker, he tags along, gets into shenanigans, he even gets REKT in the climax and narrowly survives.
>>
>>65142474
>replying to a tripfag
>by pointing out his tripfaggotry is retarded at that
Quite new here, aren't ya?
>>
They should really let him wield a gun more often. He can operate all right.
>>
File: traitor.jpg (24 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
traitor.jpg
24 KB, 270x270
>>65136803
I dont mind him and out of the new folks he comes out as a more real person than the Mary sue scavenger, Mobius one and coldsteel the hegeheg but he still is a TRAITOR! and I feel compelled to remind people of that.
>>
>>65137027
It's rather apparent that she was neither responding particularly well to the awkward little advance he made nor generally interested in him in more than a friendly way. Hollywood logic dictates that she's either a lesbo or a messianic figure
>>
>>65136803
>survives
He died m8.

Did you not see Rey kiss his forehead.
>>
>>65136803
glad he didn't black Rey.
His ex-stormie story had potential but was thrown away for some reason.
>>
Yes we all do. You'd know if you went to /tv/ meetings.
>>
>poe kills the person that causes FN to defect
>never brought up in the movie

The script was shit for this character. To steal a joke from redditlettermedia, the characters Finn and Poe should have been combinee into the new character, Poe Dameron. It really felt like some of Finns lines would have been said by Poe but the script writers were too lazy to go back and change things when they added boyega.
>>
>>65145269
The last one was fun. The thing with the underaged Moldovan girls in nun costumes and the midget with the baseball bat was a bit too much though.
>>
File: OTdqnXm.jpg (97 KB, 1450x1080) Image search: [Google]
OTdqnXm.jpg
97 KB, 1450x1080
>>65145434
> Finn and Poe should have been combinee into the new character, Poe Dameron
sounds great desu senpai
>>
File: 1451403392540.gif (991 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1451403392540.gif
991 KB, 320x240
>>65136803
Boyega is honestly a good actor, I was impressed to see him go from a convincingly stoic badass in Attack the Block to a goofy light hearted comic relief-ish character in TFA.

Finn was the only character who felt human imo
>>
>>65144008
no fuck you
>>
>>65145559
>Boyega is honestly a good actor

yeah he was fine in the film.. I still think his casting was just a diversity stunt and if they were going to do that it really should of been an asian guy. Maybe even someone who is already some what known in China or Korea.

Still would of been an unknown for the US market but it would of helped the overseas box office. Something a black co-star flat out hurt. Disney knew it too by the way they removed or at least really down played Boyega in the move poster for overseas.

plus as far as I can remember we have not had an asian character of any nature in starwars. Maybe a background role but no one with a bunch of lines.
>>
No one likes TRAITOR scum.
>>
It's weird, I wanted him to be the Jedi tbqhfm, when the flick was about him and Poe everything was going so great, but then he met Rey and everything went to shit
>>
>>65145434
The reason Finn defects is the wipeout of the village
>>
>>65136995
He got rekt in both lightsaber fights he had, I don't really see how he's played up too much.

Rey maybe, but Finn, fuck no he even loses to a fucking stormtrooper.
>>
He was TOO silly. A lot of the comedy scenes were way too much and didn't feel like Star Wars silly one liners.
>>
>>65138070
He didn't decide shit. On his first mission he couldn't kill anybody bc pussy. Sooner or later he would have been disposed of. So he got Poe to help him get away seeing how he can't pilot a ship. He just wanted to survive and hide until he got a crush for rey.
Nonetheless he's too upbeat considering his past.
>>
>>65138779
It would have been better if we had gotten more time with him and Poe to see Poe's jokey personality imprinting on him. Otherwise it just comes out of nowhere that he's le wacky black comic relief.

I don't think Boyega has a good voice for comedy. It sounds too goofy when he does stuff like I'M IN CHARGE PHASMA, not natural at all.
>>
>>65142751
>>65142859
not him but they really mischaracterize Finn through things like "how he reacts" or what and how he speaks, the things he pays attention to at first etc. Rey, Finn and Poe are pretty much the same sassy millenial noncharacters (where as Luke acted like a petulant know-nothing shitkicker naive but innocent kid, Han's dialogue suited and informed us of his past and attitude etc)

we only dont immediatly notice it because Boyega's charisma "saved" the parts of his script
>>
>>65136803
He seemed straight out of Star Trek (2009)
>>
I liked him, he was a good foil and relatable. I wanted to see him succeed
>>
>Be a lowly, cowardly space janitor
>Make a friend for the first time in your life
>Travel into the heart of a super-dangerous space station to save her
>Kylo Ren is on the space station
>He's your old boss, is the scariest motherfucker alive and is the angriest you've ever seen him
>Kylo Ren: "That lightsaber! It belongs to me!"
>You're just holding it for a friend
>You're not a Jedi and shouldn't even have this lightsaber.
>You have no fancy force powers or precognition.
>Finn: "Come get it!"
Of course I like Finn. He's my favorite character in the movie.
>>
File: ooga.jpg (35 KB, 479x450) Image search: [Google]
ooga.jpg
35 KB, 479x450
>>65136803
>>
Movie might have benefited from showing him as a lowly janitor on that planet and then being sent on his first mission. That way we get an inside look at how the new Empire works. You could have TR-8R as Finn's buddy. You could start the beats for him being not like the other storm troopers. But that would require him to be the main character and not Rey.
>>
>>65141756
Repentant here, I let myself get caugh in /pol/'s shit before watching it.
I really liked his performance even if his character was written as a walking contradiction.
>>
>>65136803
Good character, bad explanation. He's basically a black Luke since his decisions drove the rest of the characters, but a lot of his 'progressions' as a character made no sense due to bad writing. It would've improved if they showed more sides to his character, such as regret, or defending the first order, and being conflicted, but the audience cant handle more than one conflicted character at a time(i.e kylo ren)
>>
>>65137120
>do people not notice that he hears the screams of the people dying when the not death star blows up the whole government or whatever
He is hearing the people from the cantina reacting to it you dim witted scumfuck.
>>
>>65136803
I really enjoyed the character. The only bit that was kind of awkwardly Disney was the janitor bit but otherwise 10/10.
>>
File: 1452752475002.jpg (12 KB, 200x225) Image search: [Google]
1452752475002.jpg
12 KB, 200x225
>>65138779
>the empire
>>
>>65136803
more like "Now that the dindu has settled" am I right ladies.
>>
>>65142607
This is star wars anon

There will be two more on with the same characters and you can complain after they release if your question still hasn't been addressed
>>
>>65137376
Tell that to those dickless soldiers in game of thrones
>>
>>65137091
This though. Finn has one of the most unique backgrounds in the film and they did nothing with it. Why not play it up? Have him struggle with basic empathy, have him say or do questionable things because he's not used to being a hero, have his conditioning pop back up every now and then, have him talk weirdly well of the First Order in a scene before he pulls himself together. Making him a lovable excited 2pure "cinnamon bun" so early took away all that was interesting about his background.
>>
>>65137478
>humble

He isn't really based on some lines I've seen from interviews. He's very proud of himself. Ridley and Driver seem much more humble.
>>
>>65141805
The film starts right in the middle of Kylo's arc. I figure we'll get more info on his past and motivations at he same time as we get info on Rey. They're probably intertwined in one way or another.
>>
File: STARCUVL;.jpg (74 KB, 548x951) Image search: [Google]
STARCUVL;.jpg
74 KB, 548x951
The elephant in the room is that Finn is ugly as fuck and ruined my Star Wars experience completely.

The mary sue shit has nothing on this ape.

>yfw the audience is so cucked that they laugh when Kylo takes off his mask but not Finn.
>>
>>65136803
Okay just a fucking reminder that anyone who likes this is the worst kind of person.
>Droid plz!!
>You got a boyfriend? He cute?
>Constantly out of breath
>Goofy conditioned youth
You guys are literally what makes this the worst board. Sincerely go fuck each and every one of yourselves.
>>
>>65138300
>doesn't count
>not the first step
>>
>>65143223
>some fucking evidence that the group they're under is horrible and evil,

like the first order killing a bunch of inocents?not everyone there was using a blaster you know...
>>
Finn was fucking annoying. I seriously hated him.
>>
>>65152620
anikin is ugly as fuck brah
>>
I hated Rey in Star Wars. In an attempt to not be sexist they made an obnoxiously controlling and arrogant female character. Finn, on the other hand, was likeable and endearing. He deserves to be a Jedi more than Rey ever would. I hope he has the force, or at least some semblance of it.
>>
He's was alright, but there wasn't any part of the story that required him to be black.
>>
To be fair, I think if I was a happy little space janitor my whole life, and then one day I was called to the infantry, and on my first mission, i walked out the door into a firefight, had my buddy shot dead in front of me, and was then instructed to wipe out a settlement of villagers, i would probably rethink my future as well.
>>
>>65153052
So? Was there any part of the story that required Luke to be white?
>>
>>65136803
I was pleasantly surprised by the actor. Because of /pol/ memes and my unfamiliarity with him as an actor, I thought he would be shit. Like >>65136864 said I thought the character wasn't written very well, but the actor was good and I wouldn't mind seeing him in another movie. The character could become more compelling if the writing improves.
>>
File: Snail.jpg (210 KB, 1015x801) Image search: [Google]
Snail.jpg
210 KB, 1015x801
Honestly I think he felt more like a main character than Rey did
Rey was more of a plot device than a character
>>
>>65153500
Yes. His parents and sister were white therefore Luke needed to be white.
>>
>>65137189
Him being backwards and gradually becoming sane throughout the trilogy would've had potential.
>>
>>65137189
Should of made the girl the trooper (Emotionless, but slowly cognizant of emotion, elite and skillful.)
Should have made male character a cheap and naive dude (Starts scrapping things and characters are like wtf are you doing.)
Males sales droid super quick, taken hostage by trooper to find droid, leads her into sand trap, regrets, saves her, etc etc etc..... The entire dynamic of the film was fudged.
>>
>>65153981
Continuing for fun
Male helps get droid back after wussing out on killing her, They do find it but other troopers do at same time, Want to kill him.
Maybe its cause he didn't kill her or its the first time getting to know a target, but refuses. Ends up fighting and killing other troopers.
She wants to take the droid and turn herself in, he wants to sale it again. Ends up convincing her to take it to Malan, a sea planet so empire can cool down. Its a neutral zone planet.
>>
>>65141607
This a thousand times.
>>
>>65142725
>Luke was a moisture farmer? and he lived a life of solace of Tatooine doing his duties, far from the nearest city.
Totally explains how he rescues a princess, is an ace fighter pilot, and uses magic he just happens to have to destroy a fucking death star.
>Han Solo was a bounty hunter who was in debt to a mob boss figure Jabba the Hutt after ditching a load of spice to avoid the empire.
Finn was a Storm Trooper who became disillusioned with what he was doing and turned against them.

Nice try though.
>>
Finn was everything that Han was in the original trilogy. A guy who wanted nothing to do with the war, but got sucked up into it and he had to make a decision to continue running or fighting.

He decided to fight only when he realized Rey needed his help much like Han did when he realized Luke and Leia needed him.

He's not as competent as Han, but he's shaping up to be a formidable character in his own right, as he got a good hit on Kylo Ren without having much experience with melee combat.
>>
>>65153981
>should of

kill yourself
>>
File: 1449331155527.jpg (379 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1449331155527.jpg
379 KB, 960x720
>>65156068
>as he got a good hit on Kylo Ren without having much experience with melee combat.

all that goes to show is how shit kylo ren is, people cry about Rey being a mary sue overpowered etc but it's just kylo being a failure like usual.

I why don't people understand kylo is supposed to be a loser that fails at everything
>>
>>65139501

Triggered
>>
>>65138608

I felt this way about both Finn and Poe.

They were both unnaturally excited at times.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.