[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How has this movie had such little pop culture impact despite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 15
File: star.jpg (356 KB, 857x1225) Image search: [Google]
star.jpg
356 KB, 857x1225
How has this movie had such little pop culture impact despite the massive amount of hype it received?

Nobody is quoting the film. None of the characters are particularly memorable. Nothing iconic has come out of it. Discussion of the film itself has dried up on /tv/ after a mere month; nobody is even bothered enough to speculate about plot points.

The only reason this film will even be vaguely remembered over the next few years is because the Disney marketing machine won't let you forget it. After that, nothing. For a franchise that has historically been exceedingly culturally enduring, is this movie an abject failure?
>>
Don't worry, jarjar will save the next film.
>>
It added nothing new to the series. All it did was get people to say "Hey, remember star wars?" then they thought about how much they loved the original trilogy as a child. There was no substance or imagination to the force awakens beyond that nostalgia grab.

History will prove Lucas' bold and audacious prequel trilogy to be held in higher regard than this nostalgia bait disney shit.
>>
>>65135023
>such little pop culture impact

>Star Wars
>little pop culture impact
>>
>>65135212
You may be mistaking "popularity" for "pop culture impact".
>>
No one talks about movies anymore
>>
>>65135246
No, I'm saying Star Wars already had a MASSIVE pop culture impact, everything from Dodge setting up an ad with Darth Vader/accompanying stormtrooper-painted vehicles to just about every page on my facebook feed trying to string together some connection between them and star wars. I'm talking about all the Star Wars merchandise, quotes and fanbase that has existed for decades.

In other words, what "pop culture" impact did this movie need to have that the entire franchise didn't already? Everyone I know who loves Star Wars still talks about it, and it snatched up new fans along the way...I'm not sure what you expect outside of that.
>>
>>65135023
No memorable lines or characters.

>inb4 that one thing that one guy said that nobody cares about or remembers
>>
>>65135150
>History will prove Lucas' bold and audacious prequel trilogy to be held in higher regard than this nostalgia bait disney shit.
Honestly, I went to see tfa, I thought it was good but then I rewatched the prequels and came to appreciate them.
Tfa was the weakest starwars
>>
>>65135338
That's entirely historical pop culture impact from the OT.

Where is the impact specifically generated by the new film? Just because the original trilogy had a massive impact, doesn't mean sequels have can't also do the same.

Even Frozen will have had more of a lasting pop culture impact than this film.
>>
File: Star Wars starring Roddy Piper.jpg (2 MB, 864x1280) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars starring Roddy Piper.jpg
2 MB, 864x1280
>>65135023

Use the right poster pleb.
>>
>>65135023
>Nobody is quoting the film.
Tell that to Kanjiclub.
>>
seriously how can you fucking children talk about this shit film for this long

how is it enjoyable to you

why are your lives so invested in this meaningless trash

why won't you ever just stop talking about it
>>
>>65135023

It was a failure, yup. It was just the usual bland garbage that gets spewed out these days, except with lightsabers. They tossed in some old characters ( who didn't behave like themselves at all) and upped the nostalgia factor a bit. China didn't get hyped up by nostalgia and saw the movie with a relatively clear mind and thought it sucked. It's bombing heavily there, as it should've been here.
>>
So have I imagined all those people posting and yelling TRAITOR at each other for a month?
>>
bump 4 memes
>>
>>65135388
Same, no memeing. At least Lucas tried something new with AotC having an investigation and love story. The love was craps but Obi Wan finding Jango was legit.
>>
>>65135923
why do you even come to tv?

>>65136002
shitty meme=/=pop culture impact
>>
>>65136098
>mfw 7 was only better than ep2 and 1+3 shit on it
>>
>>65136002
So that's all the movie was worth? The traitor line?
>>
>>65136002
>500 million dollar movie
>One word
>It's a meme that wasn't even significant to the plot
:^)
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 604x848) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 604x848
Zemeckis should have directed it.

McQuarrie should have written it.

Disney should have invested in more animatronics.
>>
>>65136105

i don't even know, man. the epin may mays mostly.
>>
>>65135023
Becuase it was shit-tier disney garbage
>>
>>65136127
tell that to Kanjiclub
>>
>>65135023

Because they decided to copy something instead of make an original movie.
>>
>>65136177
Is Kanji Club the space Yakuza?
>>
>>65135023
boring flick. shit thread.
>>
>>65135023
>Nobody is quoting the film.
Tell that to Kanjiklub.
>>
>TRAITOR

>Ganja Club

>That one's garbage!

Those are literally all I can quote and I've seen it three times.
>>
>>65136194
No, it's a bunch of weebs trying to learn asianese
>>
It would have been had it not been for the forced multicultural garbage they shoved down our throats.
>>
>>65135023
>Nobody is quoting the film

TRAITOR
>>
They should have let Lucas have some Aesthetic input.
>>
>>65136236
That meme died
>>
>>65135023
7 just didn't have the emotional element to it. Everything was forced. I was more sad to see Anakin and Obi-Wan fight in episode 3 than I was to see Han Solo die. Which is really saying something since he universally much more likable than bitchy Anakin
>>
>>65135023
>How has this movie had such little pop culture impact?

Because Georgie had nothing to do with it. ;_;
>>
So this isn't in the movie itself but have you not seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOSCASqLsE

This shit is everywhere. Millenials love Kylo Ren and his teen-angst charicature. If nothing else, he's going to be a pop culture icon. Maybe not on a Darth Vader level, but he's pretty big.
>>
>>65135023
Traitor is about the only thing outside of online world I heard anyone mention.
>>
>>65136269
>>65136290
Tell that to Kanji club
>>
>>65136282
Thanks god for that.
>>
>>65136290
>>65136326

A B S O L O U T E L Y B A S I C M E M E S
>>
File: 1366456367619.jpg (26 KB, 600x321) Image search: [Google]
1366456367619.jpg
26 KB, 600x321
It's been out for a month. We don't know what impact it will have yet. This really is the instant gratification generation. You expect answers this soon.
>>
>"You know what I come for."
>"I know where you come FROM."

I've been quoting to myself the banter between Kylo & Lors for WEEKS now. I thinks its one of the most iconic Star Wars scenes ever. Kylo Ren's menacing voice mixed with his composed demeanor bouncing off of Lors unflinching confidence was fun to watch on screen. Like he sees thru Kylo's bullshit. He knows he's a wannabe.

I don't know man, that Jakku scene was very iconic to me in and of itself. Different one of the best Star Wars moments of all time.

>"You are so right"! *SLASH*

Fuck! Kylo was so GOAT man I can't wait till episode 8.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 660x539) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 660x539
>>65135023
>Still needs to pull in over $220 million to beat Titanic
>Made $2.2 million yesterday, now slipping out of the box office charts

Where are all the Cameron BTFO shills now?
>>
>>65136366
If it was going to have impact, it would have had impact by now. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
More people remember the SNL skit then the movie.
>>
>>65136483
Yeah, listen to this guy

Don't you know "Han Shot First!" was a worldwide phenomenon just one month after Star Wars premiered in 1977?
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 1000x563
It was like a great film trailer running at feature length... You can tell that they want to tell the darker story a lot more.

http://youtu.be/RdUwIKkzNEw
>>
>>65136269
This. Disney ruined it themselves by trying to canonise the character. They gave him a name and a face, and it ruined the fun.

Disney cannot do sci-fi. They're cursed in regard to it.
>>
>>65136477

it's done nearly 1.9bn in a month

it has 3 months to go
>>
>Jew Jew Binks advertises using practical effects.
>have an awful CGI tentacle monster during Kanjiclub
>>
>>65136390
Hirarious

I also liked the scene where Rey said:
>"I'm an overpowered shitty fanservice character"

And Fn2894758 said:
>"I am the token black character, with a stupid arc and am basically just here to make the cast more diverse"

And BB8 said nothing because he is just there to look pretty for merchandise

GOD TIER STUFF
>>
>>65136483
Such a short sighted generation. We won't know what sticks until years from now. This once of the most viewed movies ever. I doubt it will go the way of Avatar and have nothing burned into popular culture. It's Star Wars. Kids today will dictate what is culturally relevant about it in the future.
>>
>>65136390
But he got beat by a girl
>>
>>65136390
Literally who?
>>
>>65136541
Bro

>internet wasn't around in 1977
>>
>>65136566
>everyone has seen the movie already and digested it

What other time is there to impact pop culture?
>>
>>65136390
>generic quotes for a generic sci-fi movie

Pottery
>>
Anyone else feel the whole Kanjiclub scene felt more like it belonged in Guardians of the Galaxy?
>>
>>65136390
>how to spot someone who has never watched e1-e6
>>
>>65136541
lol han shot first isn't a facet of star wars' cultural impact, han shot first is an artifact of the earliest meme culture.

Its is a contribution to the meaningless ephemera in the dustbin of history as described by Hideo Kojima, not something meaningful and distinct on its own.

May the force be with you is an example of something from star wars leaving an impression on the collective cultural consciousness.
>>
>>65136566
It's not as if people will look back on EP7 and see it as a really good movie unless 8 and 9 are literal Jar Jar tier
>>
OP you got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?
>>
File: bates.jpg (23 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
bates.jpg
23 KB, 500x385
>>65136666
Whoa Satan take it easy with your outrageous claims.

Seriously though, it felt completely out of place and the movie derailed during that scene, never entirely regained its footing.
>>
>>65136666
No, I felt like it belonged in Star Wars but less goofy and half the length. There's always a monster scene in Star Wars.
>>
>>65136666
Nice quads
>>
>>65136666
Star Trek you fucking moron.
>>
>>65136735
>implying that the movie was ever ON the rails
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 610x258) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 610x258
>>65136553
>Worldwide release is done
>Merchandising blitz is over
>Knocked off top spot worldwide by Oscar bait, a Chinese knockoff of Zootopia, Ride Along 2 and Yo-Kai Watch depending on what part of the world you're in
>Tomorrow it will make less than $1.5 million worldwide
>B- but it's going to beat Avaturd! M-muh space opera... J-Jim BTFO...

Get real. It'll be gone from most cinemas in two weeks time.
>>
>>65136702
8 and 9 can actually make 7 a better movie. I think 7 will be well remembered by most people. 90's kids seem to like the prequels and they are pure garbage.
>>
>>65136753
Maybe JJTrek
>>
>>65135403
To better add to this guy's point, think of it this way, even as widely regarded as failures as they are, the prequels still have had more cultural impact than episode 7. Think about it, plenty of people quote and can recall characters and plot points from the prequels. Yes, it's often because of how utterly fucking retarded they were, but they still LEFT AN IMPRESSION.

This movie was like fast food. Once you're done eating it, you never think about it again.
>>
>>65135023
It's a mediocre film that actually manages to have less charm than the prequels. Well that's not entirely correct - although poor the prequels had charm. This shit has none at all.
>>
File: 37387-15886.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
37387-15886.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
What's the pop culture impact of the prequels?

There's literally nothing memorable about them besides the score
>>
>>65135023
lol shill
>>
it will be remembered for being completely generic and bland, the Avatar of the Star Wars franchise
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>>65136762
The first act surprised me by being really good. The Stormtroopers emerged as intimidating characters for the first time... too bad that didn't last!
>>
>>65136819
That's exactly what I expected as soon as Disney announced it.

Everyone I knew branded me some fun-hating nazi when I put forth that opinion.
>>
>>65136729
No.
>>
>>65136871
>muh memes
>muh clusterfuck battle scenes
>muh spinning and backflips
>muh epicness
>>
>>65136666
Couldn't expect more from JJ.

This is his thought process.

>Remember Episode IV? Han was being hunted by Jabba in that movie.
>Now he's being hunted by these guys.
>See? Pottery isn't that hard.
>>
>>65136694
May the force be with you is meaningless gibberish though. Do or do not, there is no try would have been a better argument to make there.
>>
>>65136550
Except the EU has been giving minor characters elaborate and unnecessary backstories for years
>>
>>65136913
Hello Reddit!
>>
>>65136871
Battles were neat.

Some of the lines were so goofy they were memorable.

Some of the characters were so stupid they were memorable.

Nice space scenes, both in and out of combat, very star wars flavored.
>>
>>65136937
Why does it have to be meaningful?
>>
>>65136871
>being this handicapped
>>
>>65136949
Yes, but not literally within five minutes of the character becoming an internet meme. They usually waited for a character to gestate in the public's consciousness before fleshing them out, like Boba Fett or IG-88.

Also the old EU did a better job of it. TR-8R is now officially some ugly ginger guy who's good with a stick and trained with Finn. That's it, the best they could come up with.
>>
>>65137050
Boba Fett premiered in the holiday special before episode V was even released. You're out of your element.
>>
>>65136871
Their awfulness/dullness/cheesiness. Jar-Jar, testicled-faced Sheev with his UNLIMITED POWAH, Mace Dindu, dude sand lmao, Anakin being a shit character.

The prequels are a case of "so bad, it's memorable".
>>
>>65135023
>>65135403
You're looking at this just a few weeks after release. Let the new movies develop and we'll see how lasting Kylo Ren, BB-8, and various quotes that come from the movies become.
>>
>>65136958
what's up reddit?
>>
>>65137177
These are all /tv/ and reddit memes though

Does anyone in the real world actually ever reference unlimited power, or I hate sand? Pretty sure they don't
>>
>>65137331
Only subreddit I've visited is coontown and they deleted that. Fuck off normie.
>>
>>65136968
pt felt and looked nothing like star wars. Replace lightsabers with swords and change character names, and nobody would know it's supposed to be a SW trilogy.
>>
>>65137408
>disliking garbage makes me a normie
>le normie meme
>admits to going on Reddit
>for a kids game no less
So Reddit, has your autism been diagnosed?
>>
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 1152x816) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 1152x816
>>65137426
That's because it's the story of the Republeeek!

http://youtu.be/NZBA9jfsfB4
>>
>>65137463
*coontown whoops misread that. /pol/shit nevermind.
>>
>>65137473
Which looked and felt more futuristic than the OT despite taking place some 40-30 years before.
>>
File: image.jpg (568 KB, 1374x1968) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
568 KB, 1374x1968
>>65137521
Yeah, they could have used half as many effects shots by slowing down to build up the mood, but TFA didn't really take much of a breath, either.
>>
>>65137256
I remember just this far in after TPM was released. Every kid wanted to be Darth Maul. That Halloween every kid was Darth maul. Emo Ren isn't anywhere close to having that effect.
>>
>>65135388
Prequels are my favorites, not even memeing.

I should mention I was born in 1992.
>>
>>65137473
Is this the music that plays when they land at the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center?
>>
>>65135023
It had its pop culture moment. The only people who give a flying fuck about Star Wars anymore are sad humans who are hopelessly addicted to these movies as cinematic heroin.

Honestly, most millenial generation youth are too apathetic and too busy texting shit on their mobile devices for any kind of escapist pop culture to really exist anymore.
>>
what the fuck did you faggots really expect? Nothing ever will live up to the original star wars trilogy. as for the prequels I thought they were pretty disappointing but there were scenes and moments in all three I loved. I'm a casual who doesn't take movies very seriously and I thoroughly enjoyed TFA. maybe I'm a pleb but I have too much other more important bullshit to worry about than sit around and have a nitpicking circle jerk about cinema autism. The Force Awakens was a very enjoyable two hours, I look forward to the next one.
>>
>>65135877
>posting dead memes that werent even memes to begin with
>>
File: image.jpg (382 KB, 889x1250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
382 KB, 889x1250
>>65137095
I'm talking about the Cam Kennedy comics, you idiot.

>I read about the Holiday Special on io9, I'm a real nerd!

The animation gives you nothing of his backstory other than that he takes bounties from the Empire and doesn't like Han.
>>
>>65137379
no they just remember them being awful and hating jarjar
>>
>forgeting about TR8TR
>>
>le Avatar copypasta

I liked the new Star Wars and even I'm getting sick of how it's still brought up literally every day, not just on /tv/ but in real life. Ever since Christmas my wife's son has gotten so many Star Wars toys that I needed to buy a second cùckshed just to store them.
>>
So what was the first order? Were they remnants of the empire or some new thing? What are their goals? Do they want a new empire or do they just want to destroy stuff? Am I supposed to feel anything other than pity for these poor troopers conditioned from childhood?
>>
http://freakyleaks.org/2016/01/13/the-thrill-is-gone/
>>
>the rebellion restores the republic
>republic can't even muster up an army to fight the new world order
>leia and other old fucks have to form a "resistance" to combat these goobers

How was the empire wrong, again?
>>
>>65135023
tell that to kanjiklub
>>
>>65135023
because family movies don't influence pop culture. not enough sex you fuckwat
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 565x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 565x430
>>65138057
Good questions, for another time.

https://youtu.be/LSzR-cPhryc
>>
Am I the only one that would have liked to see a Senate meeting in this one?
>>
>>65138450
No, that would have been great. It would have shown that the OT's fight wasn't in vain and that they had regained a republic. It would have also given more context to everything else. Too bad the movie was complete shit though.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.