[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lotr thread continuation >>65129805 pic related, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 23
File: 1453344890880.jpg (702 KB, 1600x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453344890880.jpg
702 KB, 1600x1080
lotr thread continuation >>65129805

pic related, what happens here?
>>
sand niggers kill each other
>>
>>65134313

The ones closer to Mordor get corrupted or enslaved by Sauron.

The dudes further away might be mostly alright?

Also the Blue Wizards go over there, and depending on when Tolkien was writing they either fell to Sauron's side or did "something" to ensure the victory in the west, but probably died for it.
>>
so if sauron controlled everything to the east and south of middle earth, what happened to all the armies that were on their way to aid sauron?

why was middle earth called "middle"?

what exactly does the ring do? like sauron was just able to control some niggas with it but that was about it...

how could the elves and humans not known sauron was going to return, they know the ring was never destroyed (also, why didn't elrond just throw isildur into the volcan?o), they know mordor is still there. why did they allows mordor to exist in the first place?
minas tirith is right in front of mordor, why didn't they prepare?
>>
Nothing important. Notice the density of named places in the north west and compare it to the rest.
>>
>>65134572
the project was literally too big to complete in a life time, especially since tolkien lived a normie life.

maybe dwarf fortress will fulfill what he once dreamed.
>>
>>65134405
The blue wizards were supposed to subvert sauron behind his own lines. They were responsible for the 5th column, so to speak.
>>
Haradwaidth is where the southrons live, like the Umbar corsairs, basically north africans (barbary corsairs and such)

Rhûn is where the easterlings live, basically sino-mongols, they got corrupted by agents of Sauron and worship morgoth with sacrificial altars and everything

The area between those, khand, has some variation of those 2 savages I'd assume

>>65134519
The ring amplify the powers of people, it makes Sauron a demigod because he's already powerful and it makes the hobbits invisible because they're naturally sneaky (Smeagol went invisible when putting on the ring right ?)

It also tempts people to put it on (promising said previous powers) because then Sauron would know where the ring is
>>
File: Oiliphants.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
Oiliphants.webm
3 MB, 960x400
What happened to all the Haradrim/Southlings after Sauron died? Is Harad supposed to be like Africa?
>>
>>65134895
Those that survived returned to their homelands with stories of being beat the fuck out so bad that they didn't bother them for ages.
>>
>>65134895
Some Harad tribes sent emissaries to make peace with King Elessar and Gondor. Rhûn, even without Sauron, hates Gondor so they and some Haradrim and corsairs continued making war on Gondor until they were defeated and peace was made between men.
>>
>>65134313
would you please post a larger version of that map and one without your scribbles on it?
>>
>>65134519
Elrond didn't toss Isildur into the volcano cus he was unsure what the one ring could do and wasn't willing to kill a relative over it.
>>
File: LOTR map.jpg (4 MB, 4016x2790) Image search: [Google]
LOTR map.jpg
4 MB, 4016x2790
>>65134980
>>
>>65134895
The top part (Harondor) got reclaimed by Gondor
For the rest >>65134961

Middle earth is called like that because it's the stretch of land between Valinor on the left and some symmetrical land on the right, but really you should read the lotrpedia article about it, there's a lot more to it
>>
File: Tolkien Arda.png (278 KB, 697x553) Image search: [Google]
Tolkien Arda.png
278 KB, 697x553
>>65134980
These are the best maps on the web
http://imgur.com/a/STOyt

That monstrosity in the OP doesn't even resemble Tolkien's own drawing (pic related).
>>
File: 435252522.jpg (23 KB, 344x512) Image search: [Google]
435252522.jpg
23 KB, 344x512
>>65134313
Ban /got/ but let shit like this stay up. smdh
>>
>>65134405
Imagine all the heroic deeds that occurred in the east. Deeds that will never be told.

You just know that at least one kingdom/tribe/whatever knew Sauron was bullshit and resisted his influence. And you know that the blue wizards had a hand in helping them.
>>
>>65134757
It makes men invisible too. Nothing to do with "amplifying" the hobbit's power.
>>
>>65135499
Fuck you
>>
File: file.png (97 KB, 787x78) Image search: [Google]
file.png
97 KB, 787x78
>>65135480
tolkien endorsed the OP map in the sixties
>>
>>65135184
Thank you

>>65135480
And thank you too.
>>
>>65135480
Noice
>>
>>65134618
>Flash foward to the year 8510
>God shakes his mighty head, and is about to tear down the world, bringingg about Judgement Day
>Just as he'd start, he senses that the Galactic AC, the humanity connecting super computer is running a simulation
>It's running a simulation of Middle-Earth, in Dwarf Fortress
>God just raises his head, and declares "I'm pleased with where man has been"
>>
File: MiddleEarth.png (2 MB, 2000x764) Image search: [Google]
MiddleEarth.png
2 MB, 2000x764
>>65135184
>>
File: caprice.jpg (42 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
caprice.jpg
42 KB, 541x498
>>65135794
>Dwarf Fortress
>Finished by 8510

One day my friend, one day
>>
>>65135794
well if dwarf fortress is ever completed everytime it runs it'll create a new silmarillion with unique everything.

one of the very few things keeping me alive is the hope that one day i can see this happen.
>>
>>65135819
What a hack
>>
>>65135819
Is there good salmon on Middle Earth?
Is Beorn King Grizzly?
>>
>>65135819
No you idiot

West middle earth is europe
Rhûn is Asia
Haradwaith is Africa
Valinor is the americas
>>
>>65135819

The shape of the squiggle on the left could also vaguely be African or South America if you squint.
>>
>>65134313
A reminder that the fellowship does 95% of the journey in FoTR and the other 2 films are them going back and forth on themselves.
>>
That map doesn't look canon.
>>
>>65135937
Sam and Frodo are forced to take a major detour.
>>
>>65135937
i'll calculate the accuracy of this and get back to you.
>>
can someone tell me what the rings do? i've tried googling it, and all it comes back with is something like, "a ring-bearer gets tremendous power."
the only power i know of is that the one ring controls all the other ones (the power of being a BIG GUY), what do the other ones do?
>>
>>65135905

>Valinor is the americas

God damn could you be more wrong friend?

Valinor is heaven, ripped from the world at the end of the Seccond Age. In the bending of the world then, new lands were created. I would say the Americas were created then.
>>
>>65135937
That's one abstract bait.
>>
>>65136075

The Elvish ones were kind of intelligence and general magical skill aid.

The human ones caused fucking magic and shit to be better warriors, but caused the Ring-Wraith fuck up.

I forget what the Dwarf ones did. Help with mining and smithing, but causing incredible greed?

Those were all destroyed or lost, so not too big a deal.
>>
>>65134895
>>65134931
weren't they wrecked by ghosts, i mean any survivors would pass on that Gondor has fucking undead armies at its command

if i were a southnigger i wouldn't fuck with Gondor for a LONG ass time
>>
>>65136075
They are a power boost basically. Galadriel and Elrond use theirs to hide their kingdoms. Dwarves got ultimate greed powers and lost them to dragons and shit, human kings became great and immortal then ringwraiths.
>>
Guys, I'm thinking it's time to revisit these lands again. Are the Audiobook versions of the Silmarillion, Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings any good? I just... I don't think I have time to sit down and reread them proper. Never done an audiobook before. But done in a fine cultured British voice, it could work, right?
>>
>>65136102
Yeah obviously I meant third age Valinor :^)
>>
>>65136165
Only times I ever listened to an audiobook was the first chapter of Huck Finn and a couple chapters of Dune and it was pretty good so I think its worth a shot
>>
>>65136075
it's intentionally vague to make them seem more important, but they basically just enhance your natural being to super magical levels
for example, the reason hobbits turn invisible is because they're sneaky and shit
>>
>>65134757
>>65135633
it makes anyone who isn't sauron or a wraith invisible because it gives them a form in the shadow realm

sauron and the wraiths exist in both planes of existence by their own nature

the real power of the ring is to amplify whatever latent talents you already had, and also to allow you to assert your will on others(frodo threatened gollum with this several times in the books)
>>
>>65136165

i dled all of them on audiobook. only listened to the silmarillion and the dude (although not british) still sounds really good. nice and baritone. i would fall asleep listening to it sometimes ill try to find a sample. also, just check audible nigga, free 30 day trial and they usually have different versions of books with different people.
>>
>>65136165
for silmarillion, there's too many little details you will want to look back on or accidentally mishear, which is a hassle to sort out in audio format.
>>
>>65136210
>>65136227

It helps that Sauron is already a god. Albeit a relatively weak one, as there are 13 full fledged gods above him, and I forget how many more Maiar on his level are more powerful than him. I'm not sure if any where.
>>
>>65136267

This would be my third time getting through the Silmarillion. It's my favorite book. I found on the second time, even years later I was remembering enough things that it was a breeze.
>>
>>65136300
Sauron is the higher tier of demi-gods, but most of them don't concern themselves with middle earth (i.e. balrog)
Above him are the pantheon and above them is Illuvatar
>>
>>65136165

here you go man;

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Silmarillion-Audiobook/B016N9U1XW
>>
>>65136336
It's definitely a lot easier the second time through - I still confused with the sons and brothers of feanor, but most of the other details I remember pretty well
>>
>>65136263
>>65136376

Thanks friends. I'll give that a shot.

It'll be weird not endlessly studying the maps as I go. I guess I'll put them on my phone and browse that now and then too.
>>
>>65136300
he's essentially a god compared to most mortals, but you have to remember all the maiar besides him have their powers sealed

Sauron is also basically fucking nothing compared to Morgoth/Melkor, who got fucked up by a fucking elf.

Considering Fingolfin crippled a literal god, the strongest of the Valar, I'd say Sauron is only considered strong because he's compared to mortals.
>>
>>65135937
>>65135999
>>65136026
>>65136104

hobbits to rivendell - not the fellowship
310 shire to rivendell

the fellowship before breaking up
045 x2 to and back from caradras
140 rivendell to moria
045 through moria
080 moria to lorien
235 lorien to argonath

frodo and sam
110 argonath to the black gate
125 from black gate to osgiliath
055 osgiliath to beyond minas morgul
075 minas morgul to the north planes
040 north planes towards east
035 wherever they are to mount doom

too busy to do rest, but they all travel more then frodo and sam did, especially gandalf if you add his journey as the grey and as the white

total of 900 units in the first book
total of 440 units in the next two books for frodo
total of 1340 units travelled by frodo

the rest of the fellowship, barring boromir, went to far greater distances, you can see http://lotrproject.com/map/
for paths and stuff

also, i used lines and vector maths to calculate using crude straight lines so these are only very simple numbers with no actual units attached to them, ie doesn't say anything about how many miles they walked, only a relative amount of units

this doesn't include the way back which was all in book 3.
>>
>>65136165
There's an audiobook version of The Silmarillion narrated by British actor Martin Shaw. He does a good job, and has a great voice.
>>
>>65136522
Morgoth was certainly not the strongest of the Valar at the time he fought Fingolfin. In fact, Tolkien mentions at one point that Sauron at his height (with the One Ring during the Second Age) was more powerful than Morgoth at his weakest.
>>
>>65136734
I thought you were joking when you said that

Impressive anon
>>
>>65136734
>He actually did it the absolute madman
>>
>>65136904
aren't the valar and the maia basically the same race except categorized by powerlevels at the moment of conception?

as long as their power levels can be manipulated they can become stronger or weaker, but their classifications don't change
>>
File: 1377862186_shadowfax.jpg (27 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1377862186_shadowfax.jpg
27 KB, 400x300
SHADOWFAX -- LORD of ALL HORSES
>>
>>65136904
Pretty much. Both Morgoth and Sauron pour large amounts of their power/spiritual selves into the things they craft, corrupt or do. Which has the benefit of making those underlings or resources, etc, powerful in themselves - providing more danger to the heroes, and heightening both Morgoth's and Sauron's power across the map - but has the downside that it leaks out some of their inner power from themselves. Thus, if you destroy those other things, both Morgoth and Sauron have less of themselves left.
>>
>>65137112
>as long as their power levels can be manipulated they can become stronger or weaker, but their classifications don't change

Yes. Their race or species (or whatever we'd call it) doesn't change. Just power levels.
>>
File: Gary Sue.jpg (104 KB, 736x418) Image search: [Google]
Gary Sue.jpg
104 KB, 736x418
>88 years old
>>
>>65134519

Yeah, like a beta male elf is going to overpower a fucking ubermensch Númenórean king. Isildur would have been all up in that elf boipucci.
>>
>>65137242
A gary stue is OP for no reason

Bbut based Aragorn is pretty much a demigod
>>
>>65136734
Anon, I'm impressed with your effort and all, but you could have just used this link, if you were going to link to the lotrproject

http://lotrproject.com/timedistance/

Anyway, that's still a far cry from 95%, especially with a good chunk of it not being with the fellowship.
>>
>>65137175
different genus maybe? like humans and chimps?

actually probably it's a lot closer like neanderthals and us.

also what does that make elves, since they can breed with maia. shit this is complicated.
>>
>>65136734
never underestimate the autism of tolkienfags

beautiful
>>
>>65137317
yeah, but i'm up for anything to distract me from doing actual work, including whatever i just did there.

plus that graph doesn't have the events, only days, i'd still have to look up how many days are in which book.
>>
>>65137342
Humans could probably too, but no human was as tall as Thingol and maiar don't date manlets.
>>
>>65134961

based Rhûn

their armor looked amazing in the movies.
>>
>>65137317
>>65137406
wait shit it does when you click on it, nevermind.

as the other anon said, autism.
>>
>>65137411
Pretty sure Tom Bombadil is a turbo manlet with a maiar waifu.
>>
>>65137406
>>65137430
Eh, I can sympathise. I mean I did spend much of the past two days creating maps and heraldry for a D&D game, probably months in advance of any of it being relevant.
We keep on keeping on in different ways.
>>
>>65136734
>>65136917
>>65136972
ok i did the math and according to mine, the first book is 0.67 of the road while in the link >>65137317 gave it's around 0.7

that's not half bad considering i used the line tool in paint.
>>
File: hordes.jpg (28 KB, 349x194) Image search: [Google]
hordes.jpg
28 KB, 349x194
>>65134519
The North West is supposed to be Europe and Russia. Mordor mountains/black gate represent the Ural Mountains and the armies of Mordor are the Mongols. All of that empty space is like the Asian Steppe.
>>
>>65136075
Watch Wagner's Ring Cycle
>>
The Two Towers > The Fellowship of the Ring > The Return of the King
>>
>>65137452
Tom and Goldberry have no kids. No contraceptives exist in Middle earth...

The Bombadil detour should have ended with the hobbits leaving his place, with Pippin and Merry looking especially chipper smoking pipeweed. Turns out they left a bun in Goldberry's oven.
>>
>>65137702
as movies? i agree.

as books? not too sure, but i love the shire revolution mini-arc in RotK so i might go with that.
>>
>>65134313
Never realized there was so much of Middle earth we've never seen

Is there an upper earth and lower earth as well
>>
File: bookstats_24x36.png (98 KB, 800x1088) Image search: [Google]
bookstats_24x36.png
98 KB, 800x1088
As someone said earlier, LotR autism truly is something magnificient
>>
>>65137958
it's only parallel to tolkien's own autism.

you can't come up with all this shit unless you are an autist at some level.
>>
>>65137833
There used to be more landmass (called Beleriand) in the first age, but it got completely rekt when the Valar made war on Melkor, Sauron's old master, under the weight of all their divine and diabolic forces.
>>
>>65137175
>>65137342

No, they were all made at the same moment. It's just power levels, and that the Valar are sort of gods of certain things, like the Greek or Norse pantheons.

>>65137342

It's fantasy man, just roll with it. We can mate with Valar, Maia, Elves, Humans, probably Dwarves I bet, maybe Orcs, whatever. Magic son.

Hell, Orcs are corrupted Elves at the end of it.
>>
>>65138015
dude i don't mind it, it's just fun being autistic about these stuff.

like that elven sex expert chick from that one documentary. overthinking stuff is sometimes great.
>>
>>65138012

Beleriand didn't get sunk because of the war. It got sunk because the Valar were utterly sick and tired of all of Feanor's, and his sons shit and sunk it all to spite the annoying fuckers.

Yeah, the Valar are the good guys, but they still have a bit of the Norse/Greek god dickishness to them.
>>
>>65138064
> It got sunk because the Valar were utterly sick and tired of all of Feanor's, and his sons shit and sunk it all to spite the annoying fuckers.

I... What?

>"In the year FA 583, Beleriand was mostly destroyed by the War of Wrath of the Valar against Morgoth. Only a small section of East Beleriand remained, and was known as Lindon. (There is however, some evidence that other parts of it still remained into the Second Age but were completely destroyed with the downfall of Númenor.)"

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Beleriand
>>
>>65138174

That's a very quick summation of the finale of the War of Wrath. The final battle was practically the Valar coming in and saying "WE ARE SICK OF ALL OF THIS. ERU DAMN IT ALL HOLY FUCK."

I'm tired so I'm typing it out all retarded like, but you get the idea.
>>
>>65138015
>No, they were all made at the same moment. It's just power levels

Ah, yes, thanks for the correction!
>>
>>65138221
Now I'm picturing the Valar chasing Feanor's bloodline while shouting this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY
>>
thanks to these threads i've been listening to nightfall in middle earth for hours now

no srsly thanks guys i love that album
>>
>>65136165
The audio book versions of the Lotr books are some of the best I've ever heard. Especially if you love the movies because they incorporate the movie soundtrack into it and it really gives it that awesome comfortable lotr vibe.
>>
>>65138470

.............. I actually hate the films. Don't like a lot of the changes. The whole mood is off. Music ain't bad though.
>>
>>65137833
OP map isn't canon, its from a RPG based on Tolkien works I think.
>>
>be Glaurung the mighty dragon
>be razing hell for sauron
>see some fool named Turin try to fight me
>cast dragon spell on him and his sister so they fuck from now on
>laugh and piss off back to angband
>later Turin tries to fight me again
>actually beats me
>with my dying breath, undo the dragonspell
>turin and sister come to realize theyve been fucking a blood relative this whole time
>sister jumps off a cliff, Turin commits sudoku
>even in death i win

thats metal
>>
>>65138655

That tale is both ripped from ancient myth, what Tolkien was trying to do, and yet feels like the least Tolkien work in the Silmarillion. It's a damned interesting piece.
>>
Obviously quite a bit of creative license was used, as nowhere in Tolkien literature is the Balrog described in this way, and is much larger than Tolkien ever described. Tolkien described the Balrog being only "several feet taller than an average man" but in Peter Jackson's film adaptation the Balrog towers over everything.

>several feet taller than a man

really makes balrogs less intimidating
>>
>>65134519
>why was middle earth called "middle"?
It was between Beleriand, where all the Elves and High Men lived, and the rest of the world, where there were no Elves or High Men.
>>
>>65138655
>thats metal
Are you 15?
>>
>>65138807
well I heard there were thousands of them

Imagine if they kept it that size in the movie

>all the goblins run up the columns
>a massive burning shadow is cast
>out steps a demon a few inches taller than Based Aragorn

That would be comical, and open the plot hole "why didn't they just gang up on it". Movie Balrog is superior to book Balrog
>>
>>65138699
most of tolkien's specific stuff is influenced heavily by actual history and the current events of his time (his stuff like lotr and the hobbit) so they don't have the myth vibe.

silmarillion is mostly very vague, more like a historical timeline + a bunch of family trees, so it doesn't feel like a myth either.

the very few specifically detailed stories from the truly mythical time of silmarillon, like that of turambar turin, do feel like mythical stories because just like mythical stories they are more about the story (perhaps a tad didactic) and not about general exposition.

beren and luthien is another story that's more mythical i guess.
>>
>>65138876
Are you 14?
>>
>>65138876
Why? Are you going to hit on him?
>>
>>65134757
>The ring amplify the powers of people, it makes Sauron a demigod because he's already powerful and it makes the hobbits invisible because they're naturally sneaky (Smeagol went invisible when putting on the ring right ?)
It makes immortals more powerful and mortals invisible.
>>
>>65138807
It's true that the Balrog's description in the book of Fellowship of the Ring isn't nearly as big as the movie shows. But, since Balrogs were Maiar (just corrupted into Melkor's service) they can possibly alter their appearance somewhat, like Maiar and the Valar can in general. Possibly to make themselves seem more awe-inspiring and powerful against their enemies.
>>
>>65138938
This is bullshit because we don't actually know what putting the ring on a person like Aragorn would do.

How would Aragorn "use the ring against him" if all it did was make him invisible
>>
>>65134405
Blue wizards were two faggots who ditched light side to do their gay ass stuff instead. Based Tolkien predicting how liberals will ruin everything.
>>
File: 1445907660632.jpg (391 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445907660632.jpg
391 KB, 1920x1080
>>65138807
>>65138896
>army of Balrogs
>it took Gandalf everything he had to beat one Balrog
How the fuck did they beat Balrogs back in the day?
>>
>>65139020
because "back then" they were only the size of people
>>
>>65138987
Aragorn is one 1.8446744e-19 Elvish.
>>
>>65139041
But Gandalf still died in the book to a people sized Balrog though.
>>
>>65138909
A lot of Tolkien's work was also heavily influenced by Celtic, Finnish and Nordic mythology. But the Silmarillion suffers (for lack of a better word) because he never finished it. It was compiled and edited by his son from huge collections of drafts and notes that J. R. R. had made over decades. Which is probably why, rather than sounding like a whole narrative, like LOTR is, it's sections of information, covering various time periods and/or topics.
>>
>>65139041
No, idiot, back then everyone was a super mythological badass.
>>
>>65139020
Gandalf is in Middle earth as an influencer, a call to stand against the darkness, rather than as a full god-mode ass ripper. Living in an old man's body. He also didn't exactly get to pick a great place to fight.

Historical elf heroes were hardcore and glorious as fuck. And, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anyone in the past having to beat an army of Balrogs singlehandedly. Hell, even Ungoliant ran the fuck away from them when the Balrog army came to defend Morgoth's honour when he was getting kecked by her.
>>
>>65139223
There was this elf guy...he rektd a whole army of balrogs
>>
>>65139020
>>65139223
>>65139131
They also died doing it. Ecthelion of the fountain drowned when he pushed Gothmog into a fountain. Glorfindel also died, but came back.
>>
>>65139835
>Ecthelion of the fountain drowned when he pushed Gothmog into a fountain.
Is that why they call him "of the fountain"?
>>
>>65134313
Wait isn't Beleriandsupposed to be north of all of the main shit?
>>
>>65139859
Yeah, he made his last stand in the Fountain of Kings, during the fall of Gondolin whilst the people ran he stood his ground and faced Gothmog, greatest of the Balrogs. Killed him by headbutting with a helket with a spike and the two getting stuck and falling on the fountain.
Also to differentiate him with Boromir's grandfather, Ecthelion.
>>
>>65139961
West, and it sank when the gods got annoyed.
>>
Since reading the books for the first time I cant really enjoy the movies anymore. It sucks cause they used to be some of my favorite movies. Anyone else know this feel?
>>
>>65140145
>Anyone else know this feel?
I probably will once i've read the books myself.
>>
>>65140171
You've probably been warned already, but be prepared for a LOT of shit that didnt make the movie. Like you wouldnt believe. Almost makes it feel like you dont really know the story and youre hearing it all for the first time, which is cool.
>>
>>65140209
Not really warned, i just remember an excerpt that was posted some time ago and it sounded a lot better than what we got in the movie.
>>
So, what's Maglor been up to?
>>
>>65140421

Who the fuck is Maglor?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 620x400
So what was this thing?
>>
>>65140471
Only surviving son of Feanor, he's hanging out somewhere around Middle-Earth.
>>
>>65138896
There was originally, but Tolkien retconned that to add weight to how mighty they were. In the end i think tolkien left it at about 10 balrogs or so
>>
>>65140507

Ah ok, not read the Silmirillion for a long time and some of these elves breed like rabbits
>>
wait so the black forest wasn't really that big after all
>>
>>65140505
Its barely even described in the books. Unless Tolkien described it further in some other writing then Im pretty sure it was just supposed to be some mysterious evil creature
>>
>>65139835
Glorfindel tackled one of a cliff to both their deaths as he lad the escape from Gondolin
>>
File: 1356545175018.png (644 KB, 1023x438) Image search: [Google]
1356545175018.png
644 KB, 1023x438
>tfw you will never explore Beleriand.
>>
>>65140564
BIG
>>
>>65140505

Watcher in the water, a squid/kraken type creature.
Not much is said about it outside of the action scene in the book/film
>>
>>65140567
After the balrogs scred off Ungoliant, she just ran off and bred offspring with who knows what near the borders of Doriath. Shelob was one of these that scurried away and found a nice spot near the border of Mordor
>>
File: 1446879301243.jpg (515 KB, 1297x1400) Image search: [Google]
1446879301243.jpg
515 KB, 1297x1400
>>65134313
It's literally if you replaced Russia with Africa, and Asia with a giant Cambodia.

>Not even orcs and goblins want to live there
>Sauron doesn't even consider that place worthy of conquering and then expanding from
>It's literally nothing but cannibals, niggers, "moderates", giant snakes, giant elephants, giant lions, giant bugs.

Tolkein knew what was up.
>>
>>65134519
Because JRR tolkein was a hollow earth conspirarcy theory nutzojob and this was supposed to take place inside the earth
>>
>>65139085
No, tolkien retconned afterwards when he revisited the silmarrilion after he finished LOTR
>>
>>65140621
Then she ate herself, no?
>>
File: Drunk nazi.png (379 KB, 502x460) Image search: [Google]
Drunk nazi.png
379 KB, 502x460
>>65139020
Unfortunately, Middle Earth is pretty much like Star Wars, where their technology is just receding further and further. The best armor and weapons were from thousands of years ago, and all the best warriors and shit have either died or fucked off with the elves.

>There was some pretty super saiyan level shit going on back then
>An elf managed to take down a dragon thousands of times larger than Smaug
>>
because a galaxy far far away is actually Hell
>>
>>65140505
a spawn of chtulu
>>
>>65140669
Nobody knows for sure but the text says maybe she did.

In another draft, Tolkien originally had Earendil come down from the sky and kill her. Which would have added an extra layer of Shelob being scared of the light of Earendil that Frodo uses against her.
>>
File: Dragon_of_the_First_Age.jpg (512 KB, 1372x750) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_of_the_First_Age.jpg
512 KB, 1372x750
>>65140703
an elf in a fucking spaceship that shot fucking lazers.
>>
File: 1452919126932.jpg (15 KB, 466x349) Image search: [Google]
1452919126932.jpg
15 KB, 466x349
>>65140604
>tfw you will never explore Beleriand under a starry sky unhindered by sun or moon and untainted by Morgoth's evil
>>
>>65140703
A big problem is the lost other-worldly connection. Humans are beings of the material world, whereas many elves lived in a divine land and are spiritually closer to non material existence.

Everything they forge, every food they cook, etc, has an added layer of spiritual "ingredients" from their perspective, which humans would see as magic. Human societies that had good relationships with elvish ones didn't totally miss out on this.

But, with elves being less and less present, a lot of that shit got lost.
>>
>>65140703
That's right, Jay
>>
>>65140145
No. Treat the movies like a violin piece transposed to the piano. A retelling of the events. See, when you retell a story, sometimes you embellish, emphasize things, downplay or forget some details. In general, the LoTr movies were true to the spirit of the source material. It felt like Middle Earth.
>>
>>65141139
I guess thats true. They did a great job on capturing the asthetics, except for a couple small exceptions (and one major one, being frodo), and the music was pretty much perfect, I'll give it that.
>>
>>65140834
That wasn't an elf. That was a man who had just recently been deemed an elf.
>>
>>65141381
Wasn't he like half elf tho?
>>
File: doggerland2.jpg (722 KB, 1962x2005) Image search: [Google]
doggerland2.jpg
722 KB, 1962x2005
Strange, I thought Middle Earth was supposed to be Doggerland before it got flooded.
>>
>>65134519

>middle

Because Tolkein had a hard-on for Norse mythology, and in Norse mythology the mortal realm is "midgard". The middle realm/middle earth.
>>
>>65138221
>typing it all out
There's not much more to type. War of Wrath is almost like an appendice. I wish it did have more detail.
>>
>>65141403
Yes indeed.
>>
>>65141403
half elf, but wanted to be a man. chose to be an elf so he could be with his wife.
>>
>>65141654
>>65141684
He also got like some valar power up when he asked for help
>>
>>65140772
Tolkien did like Lovecraft's work and did have "ancient, nameless being gnawing on the roots of the Earth."
>>
>>65134313
That's a retarded fanfic map

>>65135480
This is the only map Tolkien drew of all of Arda, use this instead.
>>
>>65141684
>chose to be an elf so he could be with his wife.

Weird, isn't the cliche supposed to be "immortal character gives up immortality to be with loved one"?
>>
>>65135184
I had this map on my wall as poster when I was a kid. Its not canon in anyway though. Everything to the east is just guess work.
>>
>>65136165
Phil Dragash is good
Adds the movie soundtrack which is nice
>>
Did feanor do anything wrong?
>>
So what was Ungoliant? I was thinking maybe she grew out of Morgoth's corruption of the music, or came from the void before the music.
>>
>>65134519
because in the first age of arda there was a shitton of land more to the west (which sunk), so middle earth was in the middle
>>
>>65143853
IIRC ungoliant is an interdimensional being that got stuck in arda.
it was a powerful as a valar.
>>
>>65143853
The Silmarillion never explains her origins in detail. Which, I think, is intentional. It's part of the horror.
>>
>>65143754
Kinslaying?
>>
>>65143754
Instigated a shit load of elf-on-elf bloodshed and binded his sons forever to a pointless oath. Lots of death in the first age is really cause of how much of a prick he became.
>>
>>65144414
>binded
>>
>>65142351
Well Tolkien already did that with Luthien.
>>
File: noldor.jpg (107 KB, 564x590) Image search: [Google]
noldor.jpg
107 KB, 564x590
>>65144472
>>
>>65144373
Yeah, of course it's the point, fun to speculate though.

One mystery I really love is Gandalf's description of the huge tunnels beneath the Earth carved by nameless being even Sauron doesn't know about.
>>
>>65138655
>not getting even more turned on after realizing this
fuckin normies i swer
>>
>>65143853

Whenever I don't know what a think is in Tolkien, I say "fuck it, Maia," That covers most everything.

Tom and the Hobbits are the only things that are still hard to figure.
>>
>>65144981
The hobbits are some relation of men, aren't they? I don't think it needs much more explanation.
>>
>>65144981
But they aren't maia. Ungoliant probably belonged to another dimension.
>>
>>65143853
i think the most accepted answer is she just crawled out of the void like Eru and was like lets fuck shit up
>>
>>65145001
Their only connection to the races of men is that their original language resemble Rohirric, but that's probably because the two shared the same land for quite some time
>>
How the fuck do I write something in the font that is used on the Ring of Power?
>>
>>65144981
>Tom and the Hobbits are the only things that are still hard to figure.

I like this fan theory about Tom
http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html
>>
>>65145690
Just download a cursive tengwar font
>>
>>65143853
it's a lovecraftian cosmic horror spider.
>>
>>65145612
i thought it was stated that the were a sort of human, except chill.
>>
>>65146506
As far as I know, no one knows what they really are
>>
>>65146535
>According to The Lord of the Rings, they have lost the genealogical details of how they are related to the Big People.

what i got from this sentence is you're right, but tolkien is telling us they are somehow connected to humans for sure, we just don't know how.
>>
>>65146573
maybe in the LotRs world manlets and femlets finally learnt and stuck to their own kind
>>
>>65146596
Hence the hobbits
>>
>>65135538
White people are the only heroes in Tolkien's works. So no.
>>
File: when_will_they_ever_learn.jpg (90 KB, 558x849) Image search: [Google]
when_will_they_ever_learn.jpg
90 KB, 558x849
>>65146596
>the hobbits were born from manlets finally learning
Bravo Tolkien
>>
>65146596
they get to chill, smoke weed, eat some good stuff, drink a lot, and not work a whole lot.

they also don't have to deal with war and shit.

looks like manlets got the best deal.
>>
>>65146649
me on the right
>>
>>65146657
>hey hobbit open this door
>oh wait
MANLETS WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?
>>
>>65146710
>>65146649
>>65146596
>I am not in fact tall, or strongly built. I now measure 5 ft 8 1/2, and am very slightly built, with notably small hands. For most of my life I have been very thin and underweight. Since my early sixties I have become ‘tubby’. Not unusual in men who took their exercise in games and swimming, when the opportunities for these things cease.

tolkien was a manlet and he didn't even lift
>>
>>65146763
>5 ft 8 1/2
That's a pretty average height for someone born in the late 19th century
>>
>>65140834
a spaceship, wtf is happening here?
>>
This is like asking what was happening in the Americas during the height of the Roman Empire.

The answer? A bunch of a nomadic bronze age tribes doing what nomadic bronze age tribes do. ie. little of any consequence
Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.