[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tried out The Americans, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Leftovers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8
File: playtime.jpg (286 KB, 1600x903) Image search: [Google]
playtime.jpg
286 KB, 1600x903
Tried out The Americans, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Leftovers and Fargo. All of them were absolutely, irredeemably terrible. Why is American TV drama so devoid of art?
>>
>>65032128
>based Breaking Bad
>based Fargo
>le absolutely le irredeemably le terrible ayo XD

Fuck off reddit.
>>
>>65032128

BB is normie-tier, mad men is real drama.
>>
File: 1451653899695.jpg (170 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
1451653899695.jpg
170 KB, 1334x750
>>65032128
>Tried out reddit's top 5, why is it so bad?
>>
File: 1451957610276.jpg (3 MB, 1770x2511) Image search: [Google]
1451957610276.jpg
3 MB, 1770x2511
>>65032234
>>
>>65032128
I'd say BB is just mediocre. It's exactly the same show with the same arcs as Sons of Anarchy. A bit of a stretch to say bad, but not great.

All the best shows are US though. The Sopranos is pretty widely hailed, but I do find I hate too many characters. Overall it's a good show, just often frustrating to watch. Definitely gets better as it goes on.

The Wire and Mad Men are my two favourite shows. Highly recommend them to anyone.
>>
>>65032167
>based Breaking Bad
end yourself
>>
>>65032128
go watch dr. who you faggot
>>
>>65032128

Well, America made Mad Men, so your point is devoid of credibility.
>>
>>65032260
Found The Wire mediocre, terrible hamfisted dialogue, accurate sociology but overstated, visually bland, absurd character constructions, overpraised realism, formulaic, writers don't understand medium-specificity. One of the better US dramas but that's not saying much.
>>
File: JUST DO IT.jpg (378 KB, 1239x795) Image search: [Google]
JUST DO IT.jpg
378 KB, 1239x795
>>65032128
>The Americans, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Leftovers and Fargo
dude you chose the biggest pile of shit shows to base american dramas off of

the sopranos, the wire, mad men
these are our shows that made the modern golden age of the hour long drama
dont take the time to watch those shows
just fucking kill yourself
>>
File: britbong.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
britbong.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>65032592
>Found The Wire mediocre, terrible hamfisted dialogue, accurate sociology but overstated, visually bland, absurd character constructions, overpraised realism, formulaic, writers don't understand medium-specificity. One of the better US dramas but that's not saying much.
>>
>>65032630
How can merely 3 shows define a "golden age"? Name anything noteworthy about these series beyond the acting and narrative as if they could qualify as visual art. They're all formally boring and designed for water cooler talk alone.
>>
>>65032592
Which shows do you actually like?
>>
>>65032630
>"painless, fast suicide"
>costs 101 bucks
>have to wait for amazon to deliver it
>>
>>65032942

>They're all formally boring and designed for water cooler talk alone.

Dude. Wut? That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>65032299
end /r/4chan ;^)
>>
Justified is fine.
Rest are normie trash.
>>
>>65032964
Series by auteurs such as Hitchcock, Bergman, Lynch and Fassbinder, assorted comedies (Brass Eye, Jam, Review), and a few anime.
>>
The Americans is very good. Breaking Bad's ok, Cranston's performance is great, but way overrated, no depth. Justified is solid genre fun. Fargo's derivative drivel.

For some reason you didnt mention the holy trinity of The Sopranos/Mad Men/The Wire. Besides Dekalog/Berlin A.P./I, Claudius nothing comes closes.
>>
>>65032942
>They're all formally boring and designed for water cooler talk alone.

Sassy lines, but seriously meaningless.
>>
>>65033091

Wannabe and pleb confirmed.
>>
>>65032128
Is Playtime better than Mon Oncle?
>>
>>65032187
>normie tier
kill yourself
>>
>>65032128
>justified
Just kill yourself reddit
>>
>>65032128

Can you explain more thoroughly what you didn't like about The Americans?
>>
>>65033043
Structurally speaking, all of them have the same sense of time and continuity and their appeal lies in what happens next. Viewers have a sense of being in the moment, as being part of a big event unfolding. This and ensemble acting are why these shows are praised. It is diametrically opposed to the art of cinema where the importance is given to that of the cinematography, its medium specificity, what makes it distinct from other art forms. Television doesn't offer anything of value.
>>
>>65032942
>>65033154

so what shows from your shit hole country should we watch instead? what set the bar so high up your ass that you had to make this thread?
please inform us on some 'patrcian' shows from your dump
im being serious ill try to sit through an episode of whatever bullshit you guys post
>>
>>65033569
>fucking ten minutes later and no response
thats what i thought you faggots
>>
>>65032128
The Sopranos> The Wire>>>BB>Mad Men>>>Fargo>>>True Detective>Narcos>Luther(only good Brit show ever made)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All other American Shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shows from outside US
>>
>>65033569
not him, but I think what he's driving at is that tv shows are an inferior medium to film
I'd have to agree
No TV show has ever gotten close to the greatest films ever
>>
>>65034068
>Why is American TV drama so devoid of art?
no thats not what he said
stop trying to be a foggot britbong apologyst
if he had mean that tv shows are an inferior medium to film then he wouldve said that
but he didnt
>>
>>65032128
River
i
v
e
r
>>
>>65033561
Says the guy who watches Review.
>>
>>65033163
never
>>
>>65034150
You're right, hadn't paid attention to the OP.
>>
>>65033091
>anime
>>
>>65032128
I tried watching BB once, it was cool, but I dropped after ep 2. It could be brilliant as an actual movie, but making TV series based on that concept is idiotic.
>>
>>65034193
A show that offers a cogent satire on all those big dramas you all worship.
>>
>>65034334
>he still watches satire
>>
>>65032128
As is television in any country.

TV isn't art just because The Decalogue and World on a Wire happened.
>>
>>65034334
If you want to be more artful in your shitposting next time don't refer to lowest common denominator Comedy Central dreck as "cogent satire". It's a dead giveaway.
>>
still fucking waiting for a response to this post >>65033569 come on you europoors post something thats better than the best american dramas from your shit country
>>
If Breaking Bad and The Wire aren't good, I'd be thankful to hear which actual masterpieces I have missed.
>>
>>65034544
Broen.
>>
>>65032128
>literally the worst taste in the universe
have fun with your ponies
>>
>>65034544
Anger is a positive thing anon, learn to let go
>>
>>65034033
You have to be 18 or over to post on this website.
>>
>>65034600
i saw the american version of that
>>
>>65034660
>Anger is a positive thing anon, learn to let go
>Anger is a positive thing
>learn to let go
you sound fucking dumb anon
>>
>>65034680
Which is shit compared to it. Watch the original, at least the first season.
>>
>>65034447
I'm still waiting for someone to defend TV drama here but it seems that's simply not possible.
>>
>>65034709
meant to write isn't

You sound butthurt
>>
>>65034719
i believe you
i dont know scandi tho
is there versions of it with english subs?
im too tired to look it up right now
>>
I dont think you can be a more massive faggot than OP right now goddamn

>b-but we cant like it because le normies
fuck off
>>
>>65034742
i just hate pompous holier than thou europeans
not really butthurt tho just stating the obvious
>>
>>65034808
>http://watchtvlinks.sx/serie/the_bridge_2011
>http://thewatchseries.to/serie/bron_broen

Naturally, don't go to these kind of sites without ad block.
>>
>>65032260
Sons of Anarchy was Hamlet. BB is just a devolution of characters.
>>
>>65034858
thanks dude, youre not a fag
>>
>>65034722
You're an obvious holier-than-thou moron if you discount an entire medium of artistic expression. Especially since you watch fucking Review and think it has any insight whatsoever. If you really aren't shitposting then next time you want to watch something just look at yourself in the mirror until you figure some stuff out.
>>
>>65032260
>breaking bad and sons of anarchy are the same story

You wot mate. How big of a faggit are you.
>>
This fucking board
>>
>>65032592
>I was polishing my katanna while typing this.
>>
>>65033091
Stop wearing your trench coat and knee high leather boots to school
>>
File: 1449743329125.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449743329125.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>65034033

>Mad Men below anything but The Sopranos
>>
>>65034896
Why can't I discount consumerist garbage for people who can't into art cinema like HBO? Because other people like it and I'm just obliged to go along with it? This entire "Golden Age of long-form drama" is a sham and I'll be damned if I couldn't express my opinion on this topic with all the retards spouting on how "TV has surpassed cinema".
>>
>>65035294
Ok, you're shitposting. Peace.
>>
>>65032128
that thumbnail looks like a bank heist. he's holding a shotgun overwatching the crowd.
>>
>>65032630
I watched all of Mad Men, and it was good, but it wasn't as amazing as people say.

It was pretty much: Introduce new chick that Don will inevitably fuck, slowly build up to Don fucking her, Don fucks her, they break up, some advertising speech, repeat.
>>
>>65035294
dont try to act like this thread was ever about Television versus Film
stop trying to change the subject after youve been BTFO
>>
>>65033091
>watches anime
>thinks he has right to criticize any form of storytelling
>>
>Leftovers was terrible

The fugg? Even a troll has standards.

High art, son.
>>
>>65035412

You didnt watch it. stop lying
>>
>>65035413
What do you think the picture from the OP is from? This was always about whether or not TV has any worth. No one has refuted any of my points at all.
>>
>>65035474
Reddit pls
>>
>>65035412

looks like you spent 7 seasons watching a show you didn't understand

how does that make you feel?
>>

Because art = low ratings. This isn't complicated. Pretty much all entertainment sources (books, magazines, movies, TV, radio) all have to choose between art and money.
>>
>>65035533
Greetings from Raddit, suck my tiny cock.
>>
>>65035544
Please, explain how deep it was to me.
>>
>>65035500
>This was always about whether or not TV has any worth
then why are you comparing it to cinema while giving the impression that only american television is shit?
why are you even talking about countries if this is about whether or not television holds any artistic merit over film?
you dont even know what point your trying to make
this thread is dildoes and your a fag
>>
Mad Men is one of the shows I've watched from American TV drama, and it's quite good.

Perhaps it's because of how Hamm fits his role so well.
>>
>>65032128
> Tati
mah nigga !
>>
Impressive showing today, OP. I for one am thankful for an intellect such as yours attempting to bring civilized discourse to this degenerate cesspool. For if only we were to listen to you, we might learn a thing or two. My sincerest gratitude, sir.
>>
>>65035685
Because of the claims that we are in a golden age of American dramas.
>>
>>65033091

>anime

LOL
>>
>>65035730
>nigga

Please, anonymous. I doubt someone with such vocabulary can actually appreciate cinema as a medium.
>>
>>65035650

no one said it was deep

i think you might just be retarded
>>
why are you faggots hatin on Leftovers ?
its a good show
>>
>>65035776
Then you probably googled "Movie that makes you look smart" and posted Playtime without knowing anything about it. Tati is everything but a snob.

Nigga.
>>
>>65035792
Nice argument!
>>
>>65035764
ok just stop responding because your making yourself look like a giant retard
the only time that was said was only after dumbass OP said
>"Why is American TV drama so devoid of art?"
idk how that ties into your tv vs. movies arguement
>>
>>65035838
Don't mistake him for me.
>>
>>65035776
Kill yourself, fagboy. You probably didn't even know who that was before the namedropping. Oh, le cool image! Fucking little shit
>>
>>65035832
i couldn't get into it. i dig the concept but the ridiculous smoking cult thing and how the town dealt with them in the pilot - as far as i got - was too ludicrous for me to continue watching it. maybe i'll give it another go soon after i finish watching >cough, cough< Hemlock Grove.
>>
>>65035940
>Hemlock Grove.

Couldn't even get through the 2nd season of this shit.
>>
>>65035764
look, mate. nothing wrong with disliking any of the series you mentioned. the problem lies with you declaring everything but what you like to be garbage. that sort of betrays your stance as the keen mind who judges "art" over "consumerist garbage," then lists a very ridiculous list of what you see as artistic shows. mate, Twin Peaks was okay, but don't misjudge it as some artistic masterpiece.

what i'm getting at is that you can dislike anything you like, but declaring everything you dislike is garbage says more about you than the shows you're criticizing.
>>
>>65036144
oh, it's shit all right. b-movie grindhouse type fodder. perfect to watch with a girl who enjoys that type of stuff. i'm on the third season now and there's a certain charm to its awfulness. hell, maybe it's the same thing people see in The Leftovers or Lost.
>>
>>65036287
I don't think so, normies love Lost and the Leftovers, but Hemlock is obscure as fuck.
>>
>>65033343
it is tho.
Normies loved it, not that's a bad thing.
>>
>>65036330
yeah, you may be right. i'll only defend Hemlock Grove as a guilty pleasure. then again, that's what Lost became after the second season, right around when it became obvious the showrunners had no clue where to go with the story and just kept on ramping up mystery after mystery. it was fun for a while, though. still need to give The Leftovers a proper go.
>>
>>65032630
>extremely painful
ffs /tv/, we are talking about suicides, and you still are to banepost.
And to make it more funny, nobody cared about you until you put on the mask.
>>
>>65032128
I thought he was holding a gun and by "playtime" it was meant he will start shooting people in the cubicles
>>
>>65036196
Taste is the result of a thousand distastes.
>>
>>65036541

Why am I not surprised those that celebrate the infantile medium of dramatic television have such childish thoughts. Embarrassing.
>>
"bump" as you say
>>
You probably have bad taste and/or baiting/trying to be edgy if you hated Justified, first two seasons of Breaking Bad.

Can't vouch for the other trash since I haven't seen them, but you are probably wrong about them too.

Seems like you just can't appreciate things outside your little comfort box
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.