[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cloverfield
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11
File: clover.jpg (42 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
clover.jpg
42 KB, 300x444
People actually hated this?

Why?
>>
People actually like this?

Why?
>>
1. parasite baby godzillas because they can't have a full movie about a giant monster, they have to have little ones too

2. Mysterious exploding disease and gubmint badguys

3. "not everybody knows where superman comes from"
>>
I didn't hate it, but I also can't understand the people that loved it. It was a good monster flick.

I was into the viral marketing at the time, so I was a little disappointed in the final product.
>>
literally the blair witch project of disaster movies
>>
at the time most people were most irritated at the cast, otherwise i think people thought it was a good effort
>>
>>64979324
The characters are just drunken assholes we really don't give a shit about

The whole camera thing is stupid when you see people protecting it/picking t up when their friends are under attack and danger is happening

Monster is boring looking af
>>
I wanted the mutated whale to be the monster. The real Clover grew on me after a while at least.
>>
>>64979384
>1. parasite baby godzillas because they can't have a full movie about a giant monster, they have to have little ones too
And? It added some action/horror scenes between them just running around the city
>2. Mysterious exploding disease and gubmint badguys
There's no "gubmint bad guys" at all. I don't get why exploding disease is an issue when it's pretty well explained.
>3. "not everybody knows where superman comes from"
That was just the main character trying to create a commonality with the girl he liked, she even made fun of him for it, you unrelenting retard.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 571x753) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 571x753
>>64979324
I'm one of the peope that loved this movie.
I think I just have a hard on for movies where there is a lot of mystery involved. I remember the trailers alone leading up to this got me super intrigued and hyped. I definitely wasn't dissappointed with the movie as it had that "what could it be? how did this happen?" feel to it.

I know the handy cam style isn't for everyone, and this was coming off of the handycam boom. But I liked it. It helped add to the mystery and ride.

Super stoked for the sequel. The trailer for it set a great tone. Plus John Goodman.
>>
Does Cloverfield remind anyone else really strongly of Christopher Nolan?
>>
It seems like it was trying to break away from the traditional monster flick plot, but fell on its face.

Since Jaws and maybe even before that every monster flick has the same script. Opening scene is one or two people enjoying themselves somewhere, one or both are killed, Opening credits, title sequence. Police/investigators confronted with victim's bodies, confront question of hitting the alarm or ignoring it. Opt to ignore it. Second victim surfaces, telltale signs that similar animal/monster did it. Outcry from public for being quiet about first victim, general panic forms a team together to seek out and kill monster...etc, etc. it's practically paint-by-numbers.

I give it props for trying not to follow this formula, but the formula works and Cloverfield didn't. So, if you're going to replace the formula, replace it with something that's at least better.
>>
>>64979324
>Starts out as London(2005) (imdb.com/title/tt0449061/)
>Morphs into Blair witch project
>Godzilla(1999) at the end

Why would anyone hate it?!
>>
>>64979384
>1. parasite baby godzillas because they can't have a full movie about a giant monster, they
have to have little ones too

You are actually complaining just to complain.

>2. Mysterious exploding disease and gubmint badguys

The disease is neither mysterious nor is the government implied to be bad.

>3. "not everybody knows where superman comes from"

This isn't even criticism now, it's autism
>>
>>64979618
isn't the "sequel" just using the name cloverfield as a hook?

i thought it had nothing to do with the movie otherwise
>>
>>64979771
The whole movie is Autism Camera the Movie

The only thing good was the marketing
>>
>>64979680
I don't see the comparison at all
>>
>>64979784
>isn't the "sequel" just using the name cloverfield as a hook?
It may not be a traditional sequel. But judging by the trailer it looks like it might take place around the same events that happened in the original.
I love premise of it taking place in a shelter following/during the events if that's what it is.
>>
>>64980034
Also, they ditched the handycam aestehic. Which is good. Maintains the same mystery without it.
>>
>>64979324
>watched it in theater
>first two minutes were annoying because I realized the whole thing was going to be hand cam and flash backs with previous footage of the relationship.
>headache started at about the beginning of the party
>pain gets worse as the violence progresses
>my head is killing me and they still haven't shown us the monster.
>this fucking shaky cam literally is making me want to kill myself

Shitty cam gimicks and shallow characters are why I hated the movie. What about y'all?
>>
>>64980434
my head works fine, sry anon.
>>
>>64980628
Obviously not if you thought the writing was excusable...
>>
>>64980434
>headache started at about the beginning of the party
I don't understand why people have this reaction. Does it say anything about them as a person?
>>
it's about rich people acting like toddlers in a time of crisis
>>
I haven't seen this movie in years, (since '10-'12) definitely gonna have to watch it again.

Pretty hyped for the next (kinda but not really) sequel. Shits gonna be lit senpai
>>
I don't hate it. I don't like it either. It's just a film that exists. I've seen it once, don't feel the need to ever see it again.

I prefer films that make me want to see them again. This was not one of them.
>>
Is the word senpai censored to senpai now?
>>
>>64979577
this

the movie also feels dated with the post-9/11 references
>>
>>64979324
It's a perfect fucking movie.
>>
I'm stumped over why it isn't universally respected as a revolutionary/king of the hill kaiju film. I felt awe and terror in the theater. It's my favorite theater experience.
>>
>>64985540
Because it didn't revolutionize anything and ended up being worse than zarkorr
>>
>>64985575
Name another giant monster flick that focused on the terror of the ants on the ground. If you grew up on the Godzilla movies like I did Cloverfield should've felt revolutionary. Then again I'm not a weab.
>>
>>64983444
>censored
>now
Hey diddly do, reddit!
>>
/tv/ you are better than this. Hating on this fantastic film. Y'all should be ashamed.
>>
>>64985628
>>64985628
It's a gimmick and that really shows past the first viewing. You pick apart the real dumb things about it: like why do they want to protect the camera so bad when their friends are getting attacked/when they are running from a giant monster? Why are they doing this shit while a war zone is going on and they should be getting the fuck out of there? I get it's the common thing to think "people will do this in the age of camera phones", but people really wouldn't. On a rooftop maybe but not while a fucking monster closer than a few blocks away.

That's not gonna into the flaws with the humans, but that's the main thing. It's a interesting gimmick executed really badly
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE

when the fuck did this come out
>>
>>64985828
Like 3 days ago.
>>
>MEW is in the sequel

insta watch
>>
It wasn't trying to be the best movie ever, it also didn't treated the viewer as stupid and having to explain every single thing that happens, it was a budget movie and I liked it for what it was trying to be.
>>
>>64985714
This boar is literally just memes now. There are no genuine opinions left.
>>
>>64985907
We're still not sure if it's a sequel though, it might share the name but there's absolutely nothing from the trailer that can be connected back to the original film except the name.
>>
>>64985966
>I liked it for what it was trying to be.
And that's why you're smarter than the average /tv/ shitposter. There seems to be a problem with people here not being able to watch anything within context.
>>
>>64985990
It is quite obviously taking place around the same time. I predict she crashed her car due to the bombs hitting new york city, maybe shes more inland. Guy takes her in, he's a little crazy conspiracy theorist, she goes to the door and see's some sort of monster inhabitant

TRUST ME, I am JJ ABRAMS second cousin twice removed
>>
>>64986042
These trailers are always misleading, I wouldn't be surprised if theres no monster at all, the original script didn't even mention a monster.
>>
The one thing I couldn't stand about this movie was that the same monster was always in the same damn place as the cast and that's about it. Wish it was longer though
>>
>>64986042
>crashed her car due to the bombs hitting NYC
lmao wat
>>
>>64986153
They had reshoots with the three main actors after bad robot got the movie. It will prob flash the monster for like 20 seconds lmao
>>
The cinematography was shit
>>
>>64979324
shaky found footage film

they're always bad
>>
>>64986218
I liked Trollhunter.
>>
Could have been great, it became a trainwreck.
>>
>>64986153
Also, some of the scenes in the trailer werent in the original script. The Barrel scene being one of them, it most likely contains a cloverfield baby thing
>>
>>64986218
You wouldn't like the movie me and your mom made then.
>>
So they didn't actually nuke Manhattan then if the footage got out?
>>
File: 1452577473703.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1452577473703.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
generic and boring
but its cute how /tv/ millennials try to make their first shaky cam movie a cult
>>
>>64979771
>>64979583
where was the exploding disease explained?
>>
Show the fucking monster! That's why came to watch it!
>>
>>64987845
>i was there since the beginning since... THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

You're so cool anon.

Let none doubt your bomb digs.
>>
shaky cam is not cool

nor is this movie
end thread
>>
File: SOUTH.jpg (150 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
SOUTH.jpg
150 KB, 720x480
>>64986433
>>
>>64988025
I like when some shit is left unexplaned.
Not /tv/ but started playing half life from E2, didn't know anything about it shit was flying around. Was like whaaaat, had to figure it out myself.
also do this with tv shows, start watching at random spot and if I figure shit out too quickly it's a shitty show.
Movies have to do it themselfs cause hard for me (like with series).

Tl;dr Everything doesn't have to be explained.
>>
Now that we've all stated our opinions on the movie.
Can we talk about our theories on the movie and the upcoming sequel?
>>
that was the movie that started my crush on Lizzy Caplan, I can't hate this movie
>>
>>64985719
They said they were protecting the camera because he felt like people needed to know. That they should have a record of what went down.
They didn't get the fuck out of there because he wanted to save the woman he loved. He told his friends they can leave if they want but he was going to go find her.

This is really easy man, like they literally explain these motivations through dialogue in the film. It isn't hard to piece together.
>>
>>64986869
Since we are seeing the footage played back (we are watching the movie) I assume the government got ahold of it. They bombed NY with just heavy artillery. It wasnt a nuke.
>>
>>64979324
The only person I know who hated it is my mother, and it's because the shooting-style made her nauseous.

I thought it was good. Not great, but good. Happy to give it 7/10.
>>
>>64988197
Different Anon, but what I took away from his comment is that people in general overhype shaky cam movies, not that there was only one good one.
>>
>>64990171
I hope it takes place in a post Cloverfield world where people have been forced underground. Not everyone however has these shelters that Goodman and company are in. They are special for some reason (or at least goodman is and he has these 2 companions who arent really aware why they are here just that they have to be to be safe). I assume the surface is compromised due to monsters, virus from space due to the creature being introduced into our world. Just spit balling.
>>
>>64979324
Not enough monster

Rob is selfish and kind of a prick who's personally drama overrides any common sense in a giant fucking monster attack
>>
>>64987845
Generic? I feel like it did enough to differentiate between other monster films (with the people on the ground and not following the monster).
Boring? I mean that's just your opinion man.
>>
>>64991819
How is he selfish? He risked his life for another. Sorry thar we aren't all dicks who bail on significant others in a crisis.
He also told his other friends not to follow him. That they should go with the military.
>>
>>64979324
Biggest cinematical disappointment in my life.

A literal 0/10

Takes a place in the hall of fame for shittiness, right next to the Hobbit movies
>>
>>64991979
Why?
>>
The shaky cam was obnoxious and every character was an annoying, unlikable doofus.
>>
>>64988025
A woman gets bitten by a creature and explodes. The creature obviously carries a disease that makes you explode. How did you not put two and two together on that? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>64983126
>it's about rich people acting like toddlers in a time of crisis

Add in "constant whiplash" and this is the best summary of Cloverfield ever. Fuck this waste of film.
>>
>>64991995
J.J Abrams was on a hot streak, trailers made it out to be Cthlulu/Godzilla done right and what did we get?

A bunch of fucking asshole nobodies bitching about their personal problems for the whole duration in POV shakeycam shitfest with a monster cameo (does it have 5 sec screentime total?)

It had no redeeming moments. That sequel trailer just made me cringe.
>>
Slusho > Swamp Pop

Fight me.
>>
It showed a monster disaster situation really well, I thought. Just the main characters were shits.

>Nobody ever exploded at main guy for saving one girl who could most likely be wrekt 4 ways from sunday and that girl died horrifically for it

And I have this massive issue with western directors/concept designers and always making their monsters this grey on grey on black colour combo, like with Legendary Godzilla, he just melds in with the rest of the scenery and takes away visual impact
>>
Anyone know if 10 Cloverfield Lane is connected to Cloverfield at all?
>>
>>64993743
It's just a possibility at the moment

But the title and concept were changed from some other idea and JJ Abrams is producing so most likely
>>
>>64986153
>>64986362
Where can I find the script?
>>
>>64993743
who cares , non event movie

waste of time and money.

Godzilla part 15 tales of the shaky cam.
>>
I enjoyed it. But I have some complaints:
>Clover is too goddamn spindly for something that big. Some of the early speculation was better than the actual product.
>Clover kept "coincidentally" following the protagonists everywhere they went. For something that eluded the camera so much, it seemed very eager to be filmed.

But I liked the notion of following ordinary people during the event. Felt more like the original Godzilla movie, treating it more like a natural disaster that the people simply have to survive.
>>
>>64985719
It wasn't "they", it was Hud, who was shown to be some kind of autist. Once everything started, he was obsessed with documenting it all, so people could see "how it all went down".

At the end, when Rob grabs the camera, and says his farewells, it was partly out of respect for Hud, and partly "fuck it, we're dead anyway".
>>
>>64991819
He tells them several times to evacuate without him.
>>
>>64994206
still wish something would use this design, its great. We need more whales in horror
>>
>>64979324
Only thing I hated about Cloverfield was the shakey cam bullshit, glad the new movie is getting rid of that garbage.
>>
>>64994206
>>64994695

I don't understand the appeal of this design on /tv/, it is interesting but it would look goofy as shit in reality.
>>
File: cloverfieldPart2B.jpg (174 KB, 1296x712) Image search: [Google]
cloverfieldPart2B.jpg
174 KB, 1296x712
>>64994695
I like the updated design better.
>>
I was actually relieved that the characters died, I hated all of them
>>
It's prety mediocre. The viral marketing carried the movie by being more exciting than it. Most of the movie is filled with the same shaky cam and shaky cam tropes as everything else. You see nothing except flailing most of the time, it's annoying. The characters are alright but it doesn't matter much when they don't do much. The ending is kinda bullshit too.
>>
>>64994920
now this is spooky, the actual monster looked like an hungry skeleton.
>>
>>64994920

Really dig the way the forearm curls up for land use, that design is fucking dope. Not sold on the weird flagella suction cups though, shouldn't there be biological precedent for how wee parasites like that actually remained fastened to the host? Lampreys just use their nasty teeth right? Botfly larvae have hooks that get embedded into the flesh.

Thoughts. Sick design though.
>>
File: 1449905768756.jpg (7 KB, 235x251) Image search: [Google]
1449905768756.jpg
7 KB, 235x251
>>64986010
>if someone dislikes Cloverfield they're just shitposting
>>
File: 1440750353558.jpg (53 KB, 1361x768) Image search: [Google]
1440750353558.jpg
53 KB, 1361x768
>>64995600
>Remember seeing that commercial almost every day
>mfw now all SEARS in my city are closed down
>>
>>64980434
sorry your whiny faggotry keeps you from enjoying good movies, anon.
>>
>>64988025
I don't remember where it was explained but it was similar to that of a mosquito bite. The parasites suck the blood from the monster and in return leave the mucus that'll let the poke heal. Obviously the mucus it leaves behind is too much for a human, so they go -POP-.
>>
>>64981463
I think it's called a migrane.
Some people get fucked by shaky cam.
>>
>>64985540
honestly because idiot plebeians find "found footage" easy to criticize, its a shibboleth for knee-jerk pseudo-intellectualism.
>>
>>64997343
>implying it wasn't for the shitty characters
Plus other movies did it way better
>>
>>64991801
>virus from space due to the creature being introduced into our world.

The creature came from the ocean, not space
>>
File: 1448091785018.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1448091785018.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>64983343
>bad company 2

god tier fucking game
>>
>>64979324
because there are no good shots of the monster
>>
>>64998184
Not to mention it didn't look good to being with
>>
Literally Reddit the Monster
>>
>>64994206

This got used in Pacific Rim. Even the louse.
>>
>>64997669
What was that thing falling out of the sky at the end of the movie?
>>
>>64998856
Satellite that woke Clover up.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.