[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if The Thing actually made it to the mainland? Could it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: tumblr_o0u6yeHKk01tl926yo1_1280.jpg (516 KB, 1280x1857) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0u6yeHKk01tl926yo1_1280.jpg
516 KB, 1280x1857
What if The Thing actually made it to the mainland?

Could it be stopped?
>>
>>64939524
It couldnt be stopped.
>>
Just watch They Live. The Thing is a metaphor for the Jews.
>>
>>64939524
Nope and neither should it.
>>
File: 1452911509578.jpg (48 KB, 960x918) Image search: [Google]
1452911509578.jpg
48 KB, 960x918
>>64939587
/pol/ please, let's just discuss the film, we can shitpost later.

>>64939562
Ok, but what's The Things end game? Why even go through with it?
>>
>>64939524
Yeah, they would just have to isolate it and fire a missile at it or leave it in a chamber with arsenic or chloride gas. You have to think too, it would have to kill people incredibly fast to truly end the world because of how many babies are being born per hour. It's just one thing and it would probably live in isolation or die off eventually. It probably just killed the people because it saw them as a threat.
>>
File: 1452841003089.jpg (26 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1452841003089.jpg
26 KB, 249x249
>>64939652
Ok here's my problem with containment.

If The Thing can imitate anything it devours, would that make him unstoppable once he devours a common FLY??????
>>
>>64939634
The Thing's endgame is to produce
>>
By the time people were aware of it, too many people would already be assimilated

There'd be no way to kill every trace of it without massive genocide
>>
>He doesn't think it's a metaphor for the Jews

Good goy
>>
>>64939740
exactly. It just wants to spread itself all over the place. I dont' think it could be stopped, much like the movie paranoia would spread and that alone would destroy what's left of humanity.

Now what I wonder is what it would do once it successfully devoured everyone and everything on the planet, would it then resume the lives of the creatures it became?
>>
It could not be stopped once it assimilates common plant life, such as grass.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 435x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 435x512
>>64939920
So the creature itself doesn't destroy the world but the paranoia and thought of the creature does

Mfw
>>
>>64939960
It actually cannot assimilate plants because it can't get past the cell wall.
>>
>>64939920
It would probably want to assimilate other worlds
>>
Anyone got that copypasta where the Nazis found out the Jews were actually the Thing but the Americans came to the camps without realising?
>>
>>64939697
Pretty much you would isolate an area 3 times the size of the affected area and then proceed to kill everything with in the isolated area. I mean everything scorched earth nothing left. No trees no animals no nothing. Pretty much drop all the bombs the world has on the area while building more bombs to drop 3 more times on the area. Flies can only Fly so far. Would it be easy to do? FUUUUCK no. But if mankind was threaten with extinction I would hope humans would put their petty shit aside to save themselves. Then again I doubt they would just look at the Kardashain family and how popular they are for nothing.

Fuck it I wish the thing would wipe out you stupid monkeys.
>>
File: 1389545658876.png (226 KB, 492x388) Image search: [Google]
1389545658876.png
226 KB, 492x388
>>64939998
>that shitty prequel where it assimilated a rock
>>
>>64939524
One idea for that prequel that was discarded was ending was originally supposed to have Winstead-thing or the bootleg Russell escape in a rescue. The idea was that by the original Carpenter movie begins, it's already happening to the outside world, making the original movie even more hopeless situation.
>>
>>64940083
didnt watch the prequel but did that really happen in the film? No fucking way they did that cop out. If this is true im glad i didnt waste my time or money on this because that is clearly just a cash grab film with that kind of shitty writing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>64939524
It had it's chance in the prequel, but instead went full retard.
>>
>>64940113
No he's joking.
>>
I love The Thing but I was always confused on how exactly it worked. Did it just infect people or did it consume victims and then multiply? Or did it multiply and then go after various victims and impersonate them? It seems kind of vague in the movie, but there is clearly more than one of them at several points.
>>
>>64940037
People this stupid shouldn't be allowed to live.
>>
>>64940208
all of the above. That's why it's so unstoppable.
>>
How did the thing's previous victim look like?

The thing(thing) couldn't possibly have made that advanced craft could it?
It would have had to gather the information on how to make it from somewhere.

Is there any canon info on this?
>>
>>64940037
Wouldn't work. There are H-bomb tests with ants still crawling around after the blast.
>>
>>64940254
There's a bit of that in the prequel. You see it in the block of Ice. It was implied that it was not the pilot but a specimen on board. It looked vaguely insectoid.
>>
No, all it has to do is get enough biomass covertly to contanimate a large water supply.

Since no one would know it was around, by the time it actually needed to get violent, it'd own most the population. There'd be no way of even knowing it was there until it decided to let it be known, and it'd have literally no reason to do that until at least half the planet or wherever it started was converted.

You'd wake up one day to get the paper and your neighbors would all be things, they'd chase you into your house and convert you.

Or maybe you'd be at the supermarket buying groceries and it's gotten a big enough foothold so all hell breaks loose and suddenly the cashier has no face.
>>
>>64939920

it would probably build another spaceship and fly to another planet
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>64940234

Revolver Ocelot truly is a master of horror.
>>
>>64939524
thats a sick poster, can you buy that from a shop somewhere?
>>
>>64940208
It converts the enirety of your biomass. It eats/kills your cells and produces exact copies that are sentient and independent of each other but can amass to form a greater organism. The smaller the separated specimen the dumber it is, the bigger, the smarter.

This is why Macready's blood plan worked, a smaller sample had less cognitive power and reacted like an animal, but a bigger organism could choose how to react and when to strike, IE: Norris splitting apart to kill the doc.
>>
File: this.jpg (138 KB, 1300x725) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
138 KB, 1300x725
>>64940254
this
>>
Yeah with a fuckload of napalm
>>
>>64939740
Ok so let's say that everything on the planet gets consumed and imitated.

Then what???

Does the thing just do nothing
>>
>>64940356
6 cells! More than enough to assimilate anything that moves...
>>
>>64940254

I was under the impression that it had consumed the crew of the ship and absorbed their knowledge. That's why it was able to build another ship under the shed.
>>
>>64940365
The problem with the test is it only detects completely assimilated subjects. If someone is infected early stage, it wouldn't work.
>>
>>64939524
what kind of thought does the thing have? is it just a base animal, every thing for itself? did it gain conceousness when it infected the alien whose spaceship it was on? what im getting at is, pieces are falling off constantly, and it seems it can have some sort of thought processdown to each drop ofblood. so maybe its like a hive mind? that always confused me
>>
>>64940384
To then assimilate other planets you fucking goon
>>
>>64939524
Well, technically we have no idea if it intended to go for the mainland. For all we know that little spaceship it built out of spare helicopter parts (always blows my mind) was just to get it back to its own planet.

>>64940366
It probably copied that form from another planet desu.
>>
>>64940386

Detatching your head from your body and having it crawl away on spider legs gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever!
>>
>>64940414
>every thing for itself?
Yes, it will even betray other assimilated organisms to save itself.
>>
It already did, see

>Jews
>>
>>64940414
It's an alien virus
>>
>>64940414
It is a hive mind.

A smaller organism is dumber. A larger one is smarter.

That's why the blood reacted to the burn and exposed itself, it didn't know that reacting would cause it to be exposed.

The bigger things are smarter because thet have accumulated more biomass and can therefore work together to make a complex brain.
>>
>>64940414

I think it's supposed to be like a coral formation or something. Each cell is capable of living and acting independently, but when they work together they are able to think complexly and absorb the knowledge of other life forms.
>>
>>64940414
Highly intelligent but devoid of any kind of a conscious. Closest thing you could compare it to probably would be a sociopath, but even that would be too mild. That's always what freaked me out about the movie, something being that smart yet also being that devoid of a soul.
>>
IT'S THOUSANDS OF YEARS OLD. IT HAS KNOWN MORE THINGS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. ITS PURPOSE IS THE SAME AS ALL LIVING THINGS: SURVIVE AND REPRODUCE.
>>
Would two assimilated beings be able to recognize each other if they haven't met?
>>
>>64940552
That would be terrifying on a movie poster.
>>
>>64940520
>probably would be a sociopath
I remember in the original story they were selfish even against each other. Like an inverse version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
>>
Pleb question:

Did the Thing have to take a long time to assimilate an organism as shown in the 1982 film or could it use its cells to 'infect' multiple people at once like a disease?
>>
Watch or read Parasyte, it kind of goes into this topic quite a lot.
>>
>>64940612
Once a SINGLE THING CELL touches your body you're fucked.
>>
>>64940565
It can distinguish what to infect and what already is infected, so probably.

We don't know what kind of senses or behavior its programmed to know as an individual cell. Since individual smaller components naturally know to form together to become more intelligent, there's no knowing what it does and doesn't know innately.

It's kind of like a deer knowing how to walk and jump pretty much right off the bat, once it's on its feet it's good.

The thing is kind of like that, but a mass murdering virus with no empathy.
>>
What you need is a stunprod, a pair of cable cuffs and a crematorium
It's ez pz
>>
>>64940612
Both. It's speculated that that's how Blair became assimilated. Through cell by cell infection from the dog autopsy.
>>
File: 1452640053224.png (175 KB, 539x612) Image search: [Google]
1452640053224.png
175 KB, 539x612
>tfw there could be life similar to The Thing out in the cosmos

>tfw a Thing like alien is hibernating on Mars or deep in the Antarctic.
>>
>>64940506
Fuck, nature is cool.
>>
Is the Thing a personification of technology and that it consumes everyone/thing and has no regard for emotion only the single purpose to spread?
>>
>>64939524
That poster is making me think of those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books desu
>>
Fun thought: If he didn't check the dogs at that exact time, they would've all been wiped out overnight.
>>
>>64940691
No it's the personification of a virus.

It's literally a walking, talking, transforming, mass murdering virus.
>>
>>64940691
Last time I checked my cellphone didn't turn into a horrifying monstrosity that wanted to eat my organs
>>
>>64940671
what if you are already a infected thing, and you just dont know it?
>>
>>64940671
Mars.
A lifeless planet.
The perfect prison.
Until Man arrived.
>>
>>64940702
How so? Serious question, because I am to dumb to think things like this through.
>>
File: tumblr_o0h11biMe91tl926yo1_1280.jpg (492 KB, 1097x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0h11biMe91tl926yo1_1280.jpg
492 KB, 1097x1920
>>64940701
Here have another one
>>
>>64940732
Not as good.
>>
>>64940714
The actor that played Palmer said that's how he played his character. He was under the impression from the script that Palmer wouldn't know he was actually infected until the thing decided it was convenient to transform him.

Blair also seemed confused and unaware, but it could be the thing can create a separate identity and then "kill" it when it wants, or it could've all been an act to get Macready to let him out.
>>
>>64940671
The universe is so big, we'll be fine
>>
>>64940718
The Thing intended to do a Stealth run. Notice how when it first got to the camp it didn't try to infect anyone, it just ran around, got an idea of the layout of the place, etc. etc. Its plan was to infect every one of the dogs overnight at which point it would be too numerous for the humans to fight against, but it was disturbed midway so had to go for plan B.
>>
>>64940702
Well Clarke only checked because the dogs were going apeshit.
>>
I haven't seen any Thing movies or any form of Thing media. Which should I start with?
>>
>>64940714
I'm more interested if your would be aware that somethings wrong, or you simply disappear, or think your human but riding the alien hardware until it emerges then cuts off your switch.
>>
>>64940784
Start with 82, best one no-debate. After you can watch the prequel if you want, it's not THAT bad if you ignore the shitty CGI.
>>
>>64940779
Man, I gotta watch this movie again. Is the new one any good?
>>
>>64940784
Carpenter's 1982
>>
>>64940732
>>64939524
Where can i buy these posters from??
>>
>>64940714
That can happen, If you were it would probably consume your brain when you're asleep so you wouldn't cause a scene
>>
>>64940784
There's a novella, an old black/white movie, the 1984 Carpenter film, the 2012 prequel, and a bunch of comics.

Ignore the comics, obviously. I don't know one person that reads movie tie in comics.

The 1984 version is the best, the 2011 prequel can be watched before or after.

The black/white movie and novella are standalone and don't tie into it and not really as visceral.
>>
>>64940810
>>64940818
Is the prequel the one that came out a few years ago or is there a movie I'm not aware of?
>>
>>64940817
meh. I liked it, but then reaction is highly divided. I only wished they dealt with the sex issue.
>>
>>64940768

That's what you said about Bowie, now look where he is.
>>
>>64940768
Thanks for dooming us all asshole
>>
I've got a question, not about the plot about the film but about it's reception. Why was it so critically maligned at time of release? Did people just find it way too gross or something? It's so universally beloved now that I find it crazy that it was once so reviled.
>>
>>64940817
Would probably be average if they went with practical effects, but dropped quite a few notches because they went with shitty CGI.

Should be noted my opinion is actually extremely generous, most people outright hate the prequel.
>>
>>64940786
Probably whatever it wants. There's no reason it couldn't "create" an identity that it could get rid of to maintain a cover better.
>>
It's automatic game over for the whole planet if the Thing reaches the ocean and infects one fish.
>>
>>64940863
Can't remember exactly, but there was another big-name movie that came out around the same time, and the whole AIDS-scare was going around so the concept of The Thing freaked a lot of people out too much. Someone else can probably add on to this better than I can.

>>64940871
Probably, but that's assuming it can survive in salt water.
>>
>>64940758
In the book "who goes there?" The thing is a yelepath, that's how it knows how to mimic people perfectly.
I'm reading the book at the moment but haven't finished it.
>>
>>64940820
Idk ask the artist

http://studioronin.tumblr.com/image/137149056367
>>
If the Thing creates an 'exact copy' of an organism as people in this thread say, then how does it grow all those crazy tentacles and teeth and shit? Is it somehow multiplying and creating new biomass? If it has this ability then why assimilate other organisms at all?
>>
>>64940863
It came out the same time ET came out, people wanted a cuddly Ayy Lmao not a genocide virus
>>
>>64940860
Stay calm and off guard. There's nothing to worry about, anon
>>
>>64940871
It's automatic game over if it reaches Earth at all. There are very few closed ecosystems and food chains on Earth.
>>
>>64940906
Tentacles and shit are a lot easier than making a PERFECT imitation. When it busts out tentacles and shit it means it doesn't care about hiding at that specific moment.
>>
>>64940906
It's able to rapidly change it's biomass into a more defensive or offensive shape if it's threatened
>>
>>64940906

I think the idea is that it can create perfect copies, but can alter them if the need arises.
>>
>>64939920
It knew how to build and fly spaceships. The Blair thing was building a saucer while they had him locked in the shed. It would probably leave earth in a billion different ships all going in different directions, like spores from a mushroom. It could devour the entire galaxy doing that.
>>
what if we just left the thing alone would it leave us alone?
>>
>>64940384
Then it waits for some dumbass aliens to land on Earth and it hitches a ride on their spaceship back to their planet and consumes it too. Asking what its goals are from a human perspective is pointless because it's more like a supervirus on steroids than anything else. Its only goal is to find new host bodies to take over so it can continue to spread. It has intelligence, but it only uses it to further its self-propagation. It lacks the aspects of human consciousness that make us curious and introspective.
>>
File: 1452926603448.gif (2 MB, 299x225) Image search: [Google]
1452926603448.gif
2 MB, 299x225
Guys if The Thing landed in a small town in Texas, how long until I die?

I live in Oregon.
>>
>>64940930
>>64940938
>>64940955
This is why The Thing is so great. You can make the argument that this isn't the case, but the cast died not of stupidity; they did all the procedures they could, hit the hard cap of all their stats. It's just their enemy was THAT much above them. OP, in its purest form.
>>
>>64939920
A virus is nothing without a host so unless it doesn't actually need sustinence at all and gets nothing from the consumption then it would die off.
>>
>>64941023
>Cast died not of stupidity
>They did all the procedures they could
>Not a single woman among them

Just saying.
>>
I want to fuck the Thing
>>
>>64941008
Well my question is if the entire City of New York was inhabited with the Thing, would the creatures just stand around like idiots or would they just do what the humans did?

I'm sure some other Things would be tasked with ship building.
>>
File: thinh.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
thinh.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
Any relation to this?
Pic related.
>>
>>64940863
complaints about gory sfx dominating the story, much like the complaints of cgi today. Also nostalgia fags who worship the Howard Hawks version even though that monster sucked.
>>
>>64940866

The worst part of it was the fact that they actually made and shot the movie with full practical effects, but then slapped CGI over everything during post production.
>>
Imagine if the THING is a biological weapon made by some other very advanced race to cleanse the galaxy of all living this to make way for them.
>>
God damn, body horror is just so good. So what other movies have body horror like the Thing? Those effects still look great today and I'm tired of crappy cgi monsters. Any more recentish movies with great practical effects and/or body horror?
>>
The computer and diabetus was right. I'm willing to bet every single character is dead by spring.
>>
>>64941056
It would die off if it actually requires consuming hosts for whatever processes keep it alive.

It's never seen eating or drinking, the only time it may have done so was if you believe Childs was a thing.

Even then, it's never clarified at that point if it was even drinking whiskey or if you buy into the Childs infected side it was possibly consuming gasoline, but either way:

Unless it requires literally no intake of any kind including respiration, food, water, etc, then it would die off, and since it was modeled as a virus, that's probably what would happen.

It just doesn't give a shit though, because neither does a virus.
>>
>>64941050
It would probably give have the most pleasurable orifice in the universe.
>>
>>64941008
>a supervirus on steroids
Do you write headlines for a tabloid news show? If not you should.
>>
>>64941056
They would most likely ignore each other and build their own individual spaceships to go look for new food sources. From what we see of their behavior they are capable of socializing with each other when it's necessary(Palmer and the fat guy both shot each other a conspiratorial look when they were infected) but they don't seem to have any interest in social or recreational activity for its own sake. They would behave like bacteria or fungus; consuming until nothing is left and then exploding outward to colonize elsewhere, with the ones remaining behind eventually starving to death
>>
>>64941118
Hellraiser comes to mind, the resurrection scene
>>
>>64941148
with teeth and hooks
>>
>>64941056
Assuming it possessed knowledge of how to make ships capable of interstellar travel, it would devote Earth's resources to making them and launching them out into the galaxy to find more lifeforms to consume.
>>
>>64941118

Never seen it but I hear The Fly is great for that. Also Silent Hill is pretty cgi heavy but it still looks good and is great as far as gory body horror goes.
>>
>>64941104
This is probably the most plausible theory. I don't believe a Thing like creature can naturally flourish in nature.

>>64941118
Try The Blob
>>
>>64941178
>>64941148
Joking aside if there was a way to control it we could create the world's most perfect prostitute. Imagine a vagina that is perfect in every way.
>>
>>64941098
In their defenses, in those years EVERYONE was doing CGI. They probably had their arms twisted behind their backs by big-name Hollywood Execs.
>>
>>64941174
Actually just watched all of them at Halloween and yeah the first is great, the second isn't even bad and the third is fun, but every one after that.... Dear god.
>>
>>64941047
An assimilated woman would make it 100x easier to infect the whole base.
>>
>>64941121
It was buried in ice for thousands of years tho...
>>
>>64941118
From Beyond
>>
>>64941206
>Silent Hill
I'd tell him to play the game instead but it hasn't aged well. So many lore and plot problems with that movie
>>
>>64941212
thats literally what happened
>>
>>64941104
There's actually a popular fan theory that the ship with the Thing was originally a prisoner-transport shit and some ayy lmao's were moving him it to a more secure facility when it escaped and crashed the ship. Sorta related.

>>64941209
I'm embarrassed by how long it took me to watch The Blob.

>>64941118
Alien. Aliens is also good, but I personally feel like Alien was better (not trying to start an Aliens vs Alien thread).
>>
>>64941104

The Thing 3: Prometheus
>>
>>64941209
>>64941206
Never seen the blob actually, will check that out.

The fly is great and just what I'm talking about. Probably time to rewatch that
>>
>>64941224
It was frozen so it didn't need anything. It's unimaginably durable but that doesn't mean it doesn't need any manner of sustinence.
>>
>>64941212

I wouldn't doubt that. It's just a shame because the practical effects were really fucking good. There's videos on YouTube.
>>
>>64941237
Wait really? I just made that up off the top of my head.

>>64941206
>Silent Hill
Pls no, that movie butchered everything that made the games great. There were no psychological elements whatsoever, and throwing in Pyramid Head made NO SENSE at all.
>>
>>64941233

Maybe in relation to the game, but I've never played those, and on its own the movie is decent. It's the only decent video game movie imo.
>>
>>64941249
In all fairness both Prometheus and The Thing took that idea from At the Mountains of Madness. the Shoggoths
>>
>>64941243

>ayy lmao's were moving him it to a more secure facility

So they were crashing it into the sun?

Honestly I don't think the Thing is even securable
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2tdmdMamEY
>>
>>64940208
if you have played dead space, the necromorph (among other things) was inspired by the thing

a. it needs organic mass to make more of itself
b. it can imitate organic mass it has consumed
>>
>>64941232
Will check it out, thanks
>>
>>64941257
Make sure you watch the 88 version. Though apparently they're making another one with Sam L. Jackson which I'm looking foreword to.
>>
>>64941206
>Silent Hill
Why bother when there's the movie that it copied Jacob's Ladder?
>>
>>64941258
Goo point, well... If it took over human bodies that can process plant life, I image it would just eat plants to sustain itself.
>>
>>64941277
>It's the only decent video game movie imo.
I agree. I also agree it's decent on it's own. However, the sequel was not well to say the least
>>
>>64941313

I watched The Blob when I was like 8 man that shit fucked me up holy tits.
>>
>>64940384
Considering how smart it is, it might let some humans live as livestock.
>>
>>64941283
>tfw we will NEVER get a decent Lovecraft film

>>64941297
Never even thought of that, but that makes sense to. Hell that's what I'd do.

>>64941322
>Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Such an amazing movie, blows my mind that more people haven't seen it.
>>
>>64940863
at 8:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUgNSiwlNeI&list=FL1e0cdmE5ihfvUZFF9jQvCg&index=1
>>
>>64941118
I just remembered, Scanners is good. Also what's that movie with the alien fusion orgy?
>>
>>64940891
>>64940863
>another big name movie that came out around the same time
E.T. came out the week before, and Blade Runner came out the same day
while it was a good week for a scifi fan, it was a terrible competition that ET blatantly won
>>
>>64941322

>Mourning his dead child, a haunted Vietnam war veteran attempts to discover his past while suffering from a severe case of dissociation. To do so, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, delusion, and perception of death.

Sounds a lot closer to the game than the movie Silent Hill. The movie was just a straight up ghost flick.
>>
>>64941367
society
>>
The Thing just wanted to go home
>>
>>64940208
the mobie is based on a word thingy (you know those movies with out sound or moving pictures. I forget what there called but i think the bible might be one.) called "Who goes there" and in the word thing its implied that the thing can infect people and then remain inert in their system while observing whats going on around them and wait for a moment to strike or act defensively if required, the infected has no idea if they are already assimilated.
>>
>>64940139

>On helicopter being taken to civilization
>Home free!
>Transform and kill everyone for no reason
>Crash and burn

This thing was supposed to be intelligent and spacefaring right?
>>
File: 1452842541041.png (357 KB, 540x780) Image search: [Google]
1452842541041.png
357 KB, 540x780
>>64941438
Yeah and his home was inside your intestines
>>
>>64941449
I felt this especially in the prequel when the chick transformed

>>64940139
>>64941479
he got caught, the chopper was gonna be landed.
>>
>>64941479
Haven't watched it in a while, but didn't it transform because the helicopter was turning around?
>>
>>64941506
It was. The teefus and the bloody shower.
>>
File: a8dbGQR.jpg (72 KB, 990x861) Image search: [Google]
a8dbGQR.jpg
72 KB, 990x861
This is another reason we need to upload our brains into machines and become cyborgs.

If we were machines stupid over powered Organic lifeforms such as the Thing would be rekt within a week.

Or we could just build super intelligent nano machines to hunt it down, like in the movie, The day the earth stood still.
>>
>>64940111
I don't know if I love or hate that idea.
>>
>>64941563
fuckin synth get out reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>64941563
then some fucking nerds makes a computer virus in his mothers basement and all you robojews are finished, good work dumbass
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2011-12-30-07h03m01s165.png (923 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2011-12-30-07h03m01s165.png
923 KB, 1920x800
10 minutes into archeology and chill and she gives you this look.
>>
>>64941647
Spoiler that shit, that looks like a PS1 game.
>>
>>64941633
It'll be a closed shell system :^)
>>
File: 1451437372275.jpg (18 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1451437372275.jpg
18 KB, 408x408
Reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU&index=2&list=FL1e0cdmE5ihfvUZFF9jQvCg
>>
So the female lead in the prequel died out in the cold right?
>>
File: 1452745014767.jpg (35 KB, 467x496) Image search: [Google]
1452745014767.jpg
35 KB, 467x496
>>64941647
>dat CGI

Why
>>
>>64941682
No, she was anally probed by the dog thing
>>
>>64941682
Uncertain. Maybe froze (away from site), maybe got to Russian base.
>>
>>64939811
>muh joos

It's a metaphor for greed, if anything. It wants more and more, doesn't care if only a little bit survives cause it's never enough. It doesn't care if you're black or white or a dog. It will innovate and place distrust and kill it's best friend just to get a little bit more of the pie. It won't stop until it has EVERYTHING. Hell, it's sounding more like /pol/ now that I'm putting more thought into it.
>>
>>64941233
The first game holds up, even though the graphics look like shit and the controls are kinda bad
>>
>>64941778
They're objectivist aliens as compared to communist aliens like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
>>
>>64941778
>It's a metaphor for greed, if anything. It wants more and more, doesn't care if only a little bit survives cause it's never enough. It doesn't care if you're black or white or a dog.

Sounds just like Jews
>>
>>64941827
Stay classy /pol/
>>
>>64941869
you dont have to get bent out of shape about everything joos related
>>
>>64941778
I thought it was a metaphor for aids, or really any virus carried in bodily fluids like blood.
>>
>>64941869
It's a fuckin joke take it easy
>>
>>64941778
That's an interesting idea. They Live was pretty anticaptialist as well. Maybe The Thing is like a metaphor for the infinite growth paradigm.
>>
>>64940268
yea from one fucking test bomb. Not the worlds arsenal.

>>64940229
Yea you are right you also shouldnt be allowed to live. You are after all posting on a fucking shit board.
>>
>>64942031

It's okay buddy, once puberty is over you'll feel a lot less rage.
>>
>>64941827
Jews are capable of making everyone nice to each other, and not make money off of that. If anything they'd just bitch at humans to give them more biomass while complaining about everything, and criticize the humans for not giving them enough. Then they'd criticize humans for not being part of their biomass while not really assimilating them actively, and not assimilate anyone for a week cause they said they're just like their progenitors. Also they'd keep minorities around and become screenwriters criticizing non-minority life.

/pol/-thing would talk shit, invade every single thing it could, and fuck things up for everybody. THEN it'd fly off while thinking only /pol/-thing created the things it learned via assimilation and not the other way around. It'd even create pseudo-on-topic things to lure others to assimilate unto itself.
>>
>>64942103
Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls

Try harder next time fuckboi
>>
>>64940768

>the volcano is so far away, we'll be fine

-Pompeii, 79 AD
>>
>>64942164

>it's okay, i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>64942277
yea ok....
>>
>>64940308
>whole world is mostly normal in appearance
>things carry out day to day lives completely normally
>one day you're walking around in public and accidentally signal that you're a real human somehow, unaware of the things
>everyone around you stops and their eyes go vacant, and they start shaking and rattling while making moaning noises

or

>your gf turns out to be a thing
>>
>>64942369
>>your gf turns out to be a thing
I'm ok with thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
>>
>>64942369
>your gf turns out to be a thing
>implying I'll ever have a gf

;_;
>>
>>64939587

They Live seems like the bigger metaphor for Jews than The Thing.

Both of course being made by the ultimate anti-Jew director, John Carpenter.
>>
>>64940671
Calm down Im sure the only things out there are far far worse than you or anyone else could ever possibility imagine.
>>
File: images(5).jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images(5).jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>64942526
meet your left hand
>>
>>64942559
Bless his Christian soul.
Jesus was a carpenter, a coincidence, I think not.
>>
>>64939587
>The invasion started in the Scandinavian base
it's real
>>
What the fuck happened to the doctor? Guy disappears into thin air after he loses his arms
>>
>>64940711

You must not have an Android.
>>
Did the thing get there on a big cargo ship...or am I thinking of that movie with the vampires and the dark in Alaska?
>>
>>64939524
It's basically Islam, so no.
>>
>>64940894

there's also some short story from the point of view of the thing

it's a telepathic hive mind and the mind of the original organism is still in there, just controlled by the thing.

It's more like the original person is linked into the hive mind of the thing. they like being the thing.
>>
>>64940863
The effects were super gory at the time, more so than any other horror movie ever made. plus it was a radical departure from the 50's version, considered a not-to-be-remade-classic at the time. I guess critics must have reacted about that. I saw it numerous times in the weeks after it came out and loved it, even though I had seen the original on TV before.
>>
>>64941009
Fuck you I'm in Texas
>>
>>64940844
There's also the 1950's version
>>
>>64942876
I fucking kek'd harder than I should have
>>
Someone post Thing pics
>>
>>64943070
Yeah but it sucks
>>
File: adult-thing-1-and-2-costume.jpg (364 KB, 1750x2500) Image search: [Google]
adult-thing-1-and-2-costume.jpg
364 KB, 1750x2500
>>64943209
>>
File: 1425359140883.png (343 KB, 566x357) Image search: [Google]
1425359140883.png
343 KB, 566x357
>>64939524
here is your sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HIgZ8kGUT8
>>
>>64942946
holy shit how old are you
>>
File: 1432020967312.jpg (269 KB, 836x1115) Image search: [Google]
1432020967312.jpg
269 KB, 836x1115
>>64940732
>>64939524

Good god these posters are fucking awful

>>64940902
>tumblr

Fuck off
>>
>>64941966
It was made pre-AIDS
>>
File: 1367022600381.png (269 KB, 500x429) Image search: [Google]
1367022600381.png
269 KB, 500x429
>>64943255
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFauBXQkoT4
>>
File: thing.1234.jpg (229 KB, 647x1000) Image search: [Google]
thing.1234.jpg
229 KB, 647x1000
>>64943209
It's there a more fighting alien than The Thing?

Honestly The Thing is the worst case scenario for an Alien advisory.

Literally impossible to stop, unless you nuke yourself out of existence or just abandon the planet
>>
>>64943256
Old. I was a movie theater usher at the time, a part time job during summer vacation from school, saw The Thing a few dozen times before it left the theater. The only other movie that was memorable was Stripes, the Bill Murray movie.
>>
>>64943337
Nope, it was released right at the beginning of the aids epidemic
>>
File: mineminemine.jpg (103 KB, 355x642) Image search: [Google]
mineminemine.jpg
103 KB, 355x642
>>64940384
>>64939634
>Why even go through with it?
Idk? What's the point of being alive?
>>
>>64943546
To find a purpose?
>>
>>64943546
I assume that it's probably not self-aware enough to ask questions like that.
>>
There should be a Wayans brothers parody of this called "The Thang".
>>
>>64943722
or The Thong?
>>
>>64943490
Wrong.

The Thing was released in June 1982, pre-AIDS hysteria, which started in earnest post 1982/83. HIV was named as the culprit in 1984.

The movie itself was not a metaphor for AIDS, since it was likely not in Carpenter's mind, because at that time he wrote the script (1980/1981) less than a dozen people had died of the as yet unnamed disease and it was not even reported in the mass media.
>>
>>64943722
Did you think that was funny? Because I'm here to tell you that it wasn't. Exit the discussion immediately you disgraceful buffoon.
>>
>>64943751
Hey man relax it's late.
>>
>>64943744
Who would win between the fantastic four thing and John carpenter's thing? Two things man.
>>
>>64939634
it's basically like any other organism. it doesn't have an end game. it just reproduces indefinitely.
>>
>>64943746

Why get complicated about it, it was a metaphor for being gay and fear of appearing gay in front of other men.
>>
>>64943799
The FF Thing still has squishy organic eyes so it'll be fucked
>>
>>64943799
A better match would be between The Thing and The human torch.
>>
File: lbj-620x620.jpg (35 KB, 309x411) Image search: [Google]
lbj-620x620.jpg
35 KB, 309x411
>>64943855
>>
>>64943855
True. Macready wanted the BBC at the end of the movie.
>>
>>64943363
Protodeviln from M7 are more fighting alien than the thing
>>
>>64943891
What if he says, "IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!!"?
>>
File: 1452715698293.jpg (172 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452715698293.jpg
172 KB, 500x500
>>64943968
Ok, but would you rather deal with 1 Protodeviln or 1 Thing?
>>
>>64943951

No, he didn't. That's the point.

You wouldn't want to be alone with Macready once a rumor like that got around the base. Just like nobody can be alone with anyone once they know about the Thing. The THING. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
>>
>>64943751
Yeah man its late, relax.
>>
>>64944034
1 protodeviln, since I would eventually leave the coma
But at least the thing could plausibly be defeated
>>
>>64940768
"famous last words of every civilization"
>>
>>64944118

Actually, it's

>now that we've invented the sex-robot, we'll take a break for a week or two and then get started on our next invention
>make that a month
>no wait a year
>>
File: 1319245962612.jpg (235 KB, 990x825) Image search: [Google]
1319245962612.jpg
235 KB, 990x825
>>64944108
>yfw you have The Thing cornered with a flame thrower and then it decides to unleash its escape form
>>
This whole thread and nobody has mentioned 'The Things'?

son i am disappoint
>>
>>64944217
We've mentioned three Things.
Ff4
Dr. SUESS
John Carpenter
>>
File: 1418182080025.jpg (219 KB, 1908x1073) Image search: [Google]
1418182080025.jpg
219 KB, 1908x1073
>>64944183
>the thing pulls out its fireproof form
>>
>>64944306

>http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

The Things.
>>
>>64940715
I'd see it
>>
>>64944314
TOP FUCKING KEK

Hax I tell yah
>>
>>64944345
jesus christ what a pile of shit
>>
File: 1452325584952.jpg (59 KB, 467x310) Image search: [Google]
1452325584952.jpg
59 KB, 467x310
>>64944345
HOLY FUCK

10/10 read right there, however they really make the Thing seem like a pretentious self entitled cunt
>>
>>64942946
>posting on a mongol archery board after the age of 60.
>>
>>64944345
I read this ages ago, it was alright but the last line was so stupid that it completely killed it.
>>
>>64939746
No hope. Its futile
>>
File: 16b.gif (2 MB, 425x481) Image search: [Google]
16b.gif
2 MB, 425x481
>>64944459
I'M GONNA FUCKING RAPE THEM, YEAH THAT'LL TEACH'EM
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.