[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people actually not think that Rey is a mary-sue? What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: rey_bddd0f27.jpg (38 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
rey_bddd0f27.jpg
38 KB, 768x431
Do people actually not think that Rey is a mary-sue? What's their reasoning?
>>
She's too perfect to be a mary sue.
>>
She kind of is, since she's perfect and talented at everything and thrust upon this extravagant journey that the writer wishes he were on.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because she's not really the protagonist. Finn is. Rey is kind of like a human mcguffin. Finn needs to get her from point A to point B so that she can find Luke's lightsaber and become the great Jedi that she was meant to be.
>>
I get people that think she got too many pats on the back, not the ones that think she's already flawless and can't grow as a character in the next two movies.
>>
>>64910894
WOMYM RULE
:D
>>
>>64910894
i want to cum on her face
>>
File: lana8_h_GIFSoup.com_.gif (2 MB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
lana8_h_GIFSoup.com_.gif
2 MB, 640x359
>>64911043
HOLLA
>>
File: blacked.png (251 KB, 720x420) Image search: [Google]
blacked.png
251 KB, 720x420
R A C E M I X E R
>>
>>64910894
What happened with Rey was the writers wanted to make her a strong female character because "lack of diversity and feminism" except they went overboard and made her too strong, hence becoming a Mary Sue.

She could've been a cool strong female character, had they toned her exceptional skills down and made her have some flaws, y'know, like most strong male and female characters.
>>
>>64911077
What if she is actually into Wookies?
>>
>>64910894
Why do people care? It's a kid's movie.
>>
>>64910894
>needs no training to handle a light saber
>grasps the force better than any other character first introduced to it
>apparently flies the millennium falcon better than Han
>I DONT NEED NO MAN

It's like it was written by a Tumblrina
>>
>>64910894
She's a Mary Sue the same way Harry Potter and Spider-man are Mary Sues. It doesn't really bother me at all; the way Luke saved the day after learning what the Force was like 4 days before using it to blow up the Death Star is the same deal.
>>
File: CK.jpg (573 KB, 1475x1404) Image search: [Google]
CK.jpg
573 KB, 1475x1404
>>64911065
>>64911077
hehehe
>>
>>64911180
Not in the slightest, Luke didn't have any of the "abilities" Rey had in NH, that's bullshit
>>
>>64911077
What does the S stand for in Rey S. Mixer?
>>
File: han-solo-47218.jpg (18 KB, 782x820) Image search: [Google]
han-solo-47218.jpg
18 KB, 782x820
>>64910894
She fucks up multiple times, isn't even a good shot.

Also "Mary Sue" is a fucking stupid concept in a series about ace pilots and Jedi Knights. Poe can fly anything and Luke blew up the Death Star on his first try.
>>
how can she be a mary sue when it wasnt written by a girl?
a mary sue is when a writer creates this persona for themselves through the film.
like kristen stewart in twilight, shes a mary sue
>>
>>64911214
He was just able to hit a tiny target while moving at super sonic speeds without the aid of targeting computers by using the force. No biggie. Way less Mary Sue than beating an injured guy in a fight.
>>
>>64911260
Or piloting the Millennium falcon better than Han, or being able to use the Jedi mind trick after three attempts, or somehow being able to use a light saber without training, which took Luke a long time, sure

>>64911236
Doesn't matter, it was purposeful written that way by writers who had an agenda or were forced to by people who had an agenda
>>
>>64911192
>>64911077
>>64911065
AAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AYYYOOO
*smacks lips profusely*
SO HOL UP HOL UP
*steals*
SO U BE SAYIN
*gets jiggy wit it*
SO HOL UP U BE SAYIN
*eats a skittle*
AAAYYYOOO SO U BE SAYIN
*checks for nearest KFC*
U BE SAYIN
*collects welfare*
HOL UP HOL UP
*licks teeth and smacks lips*
AYYYOO U BE SAYIN
*does the crip walk*
SO U BE SAYIN
*opens a up a 40 and pours some for his homies trayvon and michael brown*
HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN
*tweets about dis and goes to check in with his parole officer*
WE GON BE
*dindu nuffins*
FINNA WE GON BE
*sucks air through teeth*
AYYYOO HOL UP WE GON BE
*pulls up sagging pants*
SO WE GON BE
*instinctively looks around for police*
SO U SAYIN WE GON BE
*faints and then gets up repeatedly*
SOM FINNA
*scopes dem titties*
SO WE GON BE
*shouts at movie theater screen*
SOM FINNA
*chucks spear*
AYYYOO SOM FINA
*sets down cotton bale*
HOL UP
*strokes welfare check pensively*
WE GON BE
*throws gang sign*
SOM FINNA
*swings from basketball hoop*
WE GON BE
*grabs dick and shuffles left and right*
SOM FINNA
*participates in a drive-by shooting*
HOL UP MUH NIGGUH
*converts to Islam*
U SAYING WE GON BE
*repeated World Star yelling in the background*
SOM FINNA
*sells crack*
DIS DICK AINT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
*sets on fire in the shower
WE WUZ KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGZ
*evolves from primate*
>>
>>64910894
She's literally a female luke. Is luke a gary sue?
>>
>>64911172
>needs no training to handle a light saber
Neither did Han. She did know how to handle her staff, but it also translated clumsily because you can see that most of her fighting is in retreat (compare to Finn, who likely had melee training as a stormtrooper and seems pretty capable with the lightsaber, though perhaps not as elegant as he would be if he was a Jedi).
>grasps the force better than any other character first introduced to it
Seems pretty regular for any other Force sensitive, honestly. The only reason why Luke couldn't pick up that damn X-Wing was because he thought it was impossible. He got in his own way. But she's a believer.
>apparently flies the millennium falcon better than Han
I'm sorry, who's the one who got through the Starkiller's shield by passing through it at lightspeed, coming out just soon enough not to smash into the fucking planet? Yeah. That's right. Han fucking Solo. She could barely get it to fly straight at first, and then the best she did was fly into a busted up Stardestroyer. Something both Han and Lando could do. The only thing she could do with the Falcon was know her way around the modifications made since he owned it.
>I DONT NEED NO MAN
She was abandoned on a goddamn scavenger planet, she didn't think she needed anyone. Notice she changes tone once she thinks Finn's going to leave her behind, though.

So fuck you and your bitchy rhetoric.
>>64911214
Luke was a bumpkin who didn't even know about the Force until Obi-Wan had to explain it to him.
>>
All relevant jedi's could be considered mary sues. You can just say everything they do is thanks to the force. They are both psychic and use telekinesis which gives them an edge in absolutely everything.

This does not apply to fodder jedi of course.
>>
>>64911408
MARY SUE
A
R
Y

S
U
E
>>
Will these shitlord tourists ever leave?
>>
black
>>
>>64911468
Nice try, but I wish you SJW/Tumblr/Reddit/Libtards faggots would realize that you are the tourists
>>
File: 1452301192285.jpg (196 KB, 1000x655) Image search: [Google]
1452301192285.jpg
196 KB, 1000x655
Honestly ive debunked so many rey defenders its become an exercise in futility, truly some unbelievably dumb motherfuckers. Hell its like half the fucktards haven't watched the original saga
>>
>>64911338
He never even attempts that stuff in the first film, which doesn't mean he doesn't have the power. I was listening to the Red Letter Media commentary on Return of the Jedi and Mike made a point that the "training" aspect of the force was always intended to be a spiritual guidance more than a literal training. It isn't years of standing in front of a laser ball training with a lightsaber that helped Luke defeat Vader, it was Luke learning that Vader was his father and learning to tap into his own ability. TFA uses this conception of the force, not the prequel one.
>>
>>64911397
Daily reminder if Luke was like Rey in A New Hope.

*Luke is an expert survivalist living on his own in Tatooine. He isn't subservient to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. He loyally waits for a lost companion to return.

*Luke steals R2-D2 from a Tusken Raider on a Bantha who has captured R2-D2. The Tusken just watches and rides away.

*Luke can understand everything R2-D2 says. C-3PO is written out since he's not needed to translate.

*R2-D2 follows Luke around obediently instead of running away and generally just thinks Luke's awesome.

*Luke meets Obi-Wan and tells him he's just a nobody and didn't even know the Force was real. Obi-Wan hands Luke his father's saber and then disappears from the movie. No training required.

*Luke experiences a "vision" upon touching the saber for unexplained reasons. Magic lightsaber?

*Luke enters the Cantina and knocks down Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan with a stick when they threaten him.

*Luke finds the Falcon with only Chewie inside as TIE Fighters start bombing the area. He jumps in and flies it with some wild maneuvers through Beggar's Canyon while Chewie works the gun port. They destroy the TIEs and return to get Han.
>>
>>64911017
This.

>>64910894
I think that now her being a Mary Sue isn't really about her being a Mary Sue or not, it's about how people use that to talk about TFA or the new sequel trilogy in general.

If someone is saying she's a Mary Sue and it was either a flaw in a good movie or one of the straws that just added up to a disappointing movie, fine.

If someone says she's a Mary Sue and therefore TFA is ruined just for that or it means the next two movies have no where to go because she's all powerful then I'm gonna contest that.

Then there are people that call Fury Road feminist propaganda and say Mary Sue Rey has ruined what Star Wars was always about, the hero's (not heroine's) journey, with her bullshit liberal agenda. They'll start talking about the jews and how terrible Boyega is in the movie. It's best to ignore those people.
>>
>>64910894
I want her
>>
>>64911581
*Chewie is injured while running from Stormtroopers to get to the Falcon and Luke takes over as co-pilot.

*Luke fixes the Falcon's malfunctions by himself before Han can figure out what to do.

*Han is so impressed with Luke that by the time they get to the remains of Alderaan, he offers Luke a permanent job.

*They sneak into the back door of the Death Star unnoticed and somehow instantly find Leia's cell.

*Luke uses the Jedi Mind Trick on the guards at Leia's cell to get inside. (First time the Jedi Mind Trick appears in the movie.)

*Leia says Luke is amazing, thanks him and won't stop talking about wanting to run away with him and devote herself to helping him. Luke is not interested and says he just wants to be friends.

*Han somehow instantly finds the head Stormtrooper Commander and says he'll kill him if he doesn't shut down the tractor beam. The Stormtrooper Commander complies and they throw him in the trash compactor.

*Darth Vader finds the heroes. Luke watches as Han Solo confronts Darth Vader and is killed.

*Luke attacks Darth Vader and holds his own. He drops his saber but he is able to Force grab it before Vader can. (First time Force grab is seen in the movie.) Vader offers to train Luke. Luke lands several blows on Vader and cuts off his hand while remaining unscathed and Vader collapses in a heap. But there is an explosion that ruptures the platform between them and Luke must join Leia, Chewie and R2 back on the Falcon.

*Meanwhile, Wedge leads a small squad to do a bombing run on the Death Star. He easily hits the target without facing much resistance or even thinking about it much and the Death Star blows up.

*Luke officially joins the Rebellion at the end of the movie and is instantly selected to pilot a ship on a vital mission they've been waiting years to do. Their best pilot who just blew up the Death Star, Wedge, is passed over.
>>
>>64911544

At this point I am just assuming it's bait
>>
>>64911260
Luke would have died, hadn't Han come back to shoot the TIE's and Vader at his tail

He didn't truly blow it up all by himself
>>
File: 1444292050550.jpg (138 KB, 980x1040) Image search: [Google]
1444292050550.jpg
138 KB, 980x1040
>>64911616
>being this much in denial he assumes any point that refutes his is bait
>>
>>64910894
She's not because she didn't achieve anything in the movie.
>>
>>64911679
Denial of what? I am seeing way more in favour of their argument than against it you cock sock
>>
>>64911220

holy moly
>>
File: woman drivers.jpg (48 KB, 721x304) Image search: [Google]
woman drivers.jpg
48 KB, 721x304
>>64911233
>rey can't even back up properly
>relies on finn to shoot both tie fighters
>her overconfidence releases rathtars
>is a bitch to han but doesn't even know about safeties or barrel discipline
>mostly succeeds because of kylo's failure
>only wins the lightsaber duel at the end because she stops trying to be in control and surrenders to a higher authority
>friend zones the negro
I really thought /pol/ was gonna love this character.
>>
File: 1450050538648.jpg (45 KB, 482x625) Image search: [Google]
1450050538648.jpg
45 KB, 482x625
>>64910938
this tb.h
>>
>>64911824
>it's a 'beta makes excuses for female actors because of their physical appearance' episode
>>
>>64911613
>First time the Jedi Mind Trick appears in the movie
No, he saw Kenobi do it with the stormtrooper at Mos Eisley.

But I don't disagree. One thing I liked about TFA was one person didn't have to do everything anymore with Poe being the pilot they need
>>
>>64911581
Daily reminder that everyone hated ANH Luke because he was a whiny bitch. It's really only after TFA, and really only on here that anyone is praising ANH Luke. Go ask your parents about it, people liked Luke but he outright annoying for the first half of the movie.
>>
>>64911613
hey my copypasta! ;p tho i got it from imdb weeks ago..
>>
>>64911744
i think anon read it as you thinking defenders are bait, unless you meant the other..
>>
>>64911519
>Muh glowstick wars is not cancer
>>
>>64911892
>implying she's a bad actor
>>
>>64912077
>implying that even if this was the case, it would make a difference considering how badly written the character is
>>
>>64911012
>thrust upon this extravagant journey that the writer wishes he were on
So, every story ever?

Agree that Finn is the real protagonist tho
>>
>>64911920
>No, he saw Kenobi do it with the stormtrooper at Mos Eisley

Did you miss the part where Kenobi disappears from the movie, or do you just not get the whole point of the post?
>>
The Rey Mary Sue thing stems from 2 things imo:

1) JJ and the other writers creating her character with the intent that her arc would play out over three films, not one. So you get abilities that can't be explained in the context of one film, i.e. her force sensitivity.

2) We hardly see Rey struggle in TFA because she's always in her element. Sure she comes up against adversity but she's never really challenged; everything plays into her previous skillset, so she appears to be a God at everything.

So in the end I can see why people would label her a Mary Sue, but I'm withholding judgement until Ep 8 drops next year.
>>
>>64912222
I think a lot of how VII will be remembered depends on VIII making good on the questions we've been left with.
>>
>>64912222
Hey mate guess what, to create a functioning movie, especially the first in a trilogy, the things in it need to make sense without a shit load of outside information from other sources. Stop making excuses for JJ being a hack kike
>>
>>64912103
>implying TFA was badly written
>>
>>64912300
No shit. I'm glad you're here to tell us these things. I wasn't making excuses, I'm just trying to get to the crux of the issue.

>>64912281
agreed
>>
My friend thinks she won the duel against Ren because Kylo was out of practice, having never had a proper opponent since he rebelled. I explained to her how this makes no sense because Rey had literally never practiced with, never even held, a lightsaber before. She then said something about Rey being "attuned to the force", whatever that means.
>>
>>64912333
>implying it wasn't

I'm sorry that I don't buy bogongos character moaning about bloodshed, who then proceeds to gleefully murder his first dozen humans in the tie fighter escape scene, humans who he had grown up around for decades and surely heavily empathised with considering he was in their position minutes before. Oh wait no he's cheering. Good writing huh?
>>
>>64912451
What else did you expect to happen in a Star Wars movie? The stormtroopers exist to be killed.
>>
>>64912077
>implying "mary-sue" is an acting criticism
>>
>>64912124

>Every story ever

Maybe if you only ever read and watch garbage pleb shit. Otherwise, no.
>>
>>64911408

Back to Tumblr you fucking landwhale

Rey is a fucking Mary Sue, if you can't see that I'm afraid there's no hope for you. Happy diabeetus
>>
>>64912574
Then maybe they should have made their former stormtrooper character have even an ounce of his personality or actions make sense. But that just all relates back to me being right about the writing sucking massive cock
>>
>>64911408
explain the part where she just magically fixes the millenium falcon when even Han doesn't know how
>>
>>64910894
15 year old girls don't think she is a Mary Sue, but then they haven't a clue have they
>>
Has anyone been to UD and seen the definitions for Mary Sue? It's hilarious because just about everyone of the definitions gets downvote to hell and back
>>
>>64910894
ITT: a bunch of retards arguing about a main character that obviously needs to be superior in almost everything, thats why she is a main character. Faggots.
>>
>>64912953
>she's a shitty character because she's supposed to be!

Same argument for ren, fuck you
>>
>>64912953
ITP: a retard who think that because its a main character its OK to be a Mary Sue

Just because she's an epic hero does not mean its OK to write her as one step below a Jedi Master after she just learned about it
>>
>>64912953
I uses to think capeflicks were fine, but now I see dunces like you thinking, because you're used to shitty characters having omnicompetence that its to be expected.

Luke got his ass kicked all over IV, V, and even in VI needed his daddy to save him from sheev. That he needed help, that he couldn't do everything on his own, that made him great.
>>
>>64911083
This. Everything was always too convenient.
>>
File: obi-wan_fleming.jpg (43 KB, 615x1024) Image search: [Google]
obi-wan_fleming.jpg
43 KB, 615x1024
>>64910894
The only inexplicable mary sue part is piloting falcon perfectly desu
>>
>>64911083
Exactly like Furiosa
>>
>>64913450
Right, her mastering a light saber or Jedi mind tricks with no guidance or training, yeah never mind those
>>
>>64911338
>or somehow being able to use a light saber without training
To be fair, she looked like she was retreating or running away in the fight. And the emo dude was injured. I wouldn't call her light saber skills amazing.

I didn't like how everything was too convenient (she knows what buttons to push and shit like that). She's more of a mcguffin I guess.
>>
>>64913559
Kylo Ren had considerably more training with a light saber than Rey, he made his own saber for fucks sake, your argument is as leaky as a bucket with a hole in it
>>
>>64911422
>All relevant jedi's could be considered mary sues
Dubs prove this is the truth.
>>
>>64913559
So in the pursuit of a strong female protagonist, they jewed up a female protagonist that you best compare to a literal plot device/object. Truly we have gone full circle
>>
>>64913514
She knows how to fight with a staff, learning swordfighring from therw is not rocket science. And for what we know Kylo Ren never fought a ligĥtsaber wielding opponent in a 1 on 1 duel, this probably was jis first serious fight. Kylo also probed her mind, she applied that experience in reverse, it's not really inexplicable too.
>>
I don't consider her a mary sue, since I always thought that meant being a self-insert for the author as opposed to a character which was simply too perfect (which are completely separate things). However, she's much to good at everything to be interesting at all, to the point where her continual success at things actually deprives her of opportunities to be characterized. That was hardly a problem specific to her character, though; none of the characters were developed very well
>>
File: 1447348548397.gif (1 MB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447348548397.gif
1 MB, 499x499
Name 3 things she is bad at, I will wait.
>>
>>64913650
Nigger kylo is clearly shown to have led and taken part in the destruction of Luke's Jedi, again you don't have shit
>>
>>64910894
She raiser herself on a desert world where the only way to make a living is to sell scrap for cheap.

Luke was raised by his aunt and uncle and didn't have to do shit.

Do you understand now?
>>
>>64913650
So explain how fighting with a staff, which is a completely different weapon, would make her proficient with a light saber?
>>
>>64913650
>And for what we know Kylo Ren never fought a ligĥtsaber wielding opponent in a 1 on 1 duel
He killed everyone is Luke's jedi academy.
>>
>>64913473
Except Furiosa has the excuse of spending the last twenty years surviving and clawing her way to the rank of Imperator and still gets her shit wrecked.
>>
>>64912992
I fucking love how pathetic Ren is. His tantrums are hilarious to watch.
>>
>>64913650
>>64913699
He had his knights with him, and aince he had to build his junksaber the way it is, his and other students' education never got to lightsabers.
Forgot to add, Ren was also injired and exhausted.
>>
>>64913700
>and didn't have to do shit.
Tatooine was a desert shithole run by gangsters so it's not like he had a cushy life.
>>
>>64913695
Is there anything she can't do?
>>
>>64913765
Tumblr/Salon/Jezebel/MarySue.com pls go
>>
>>64913695
Name 3 things Luke is bad at, I will also wait
>>
>>64913612
Like I said, I remember Ren being injured and fighting the other guy first before dealing with Rey, plus he just killed his father. I wouldn't say he's in his 100% form.

And like I said, Rey looked like she was retreating more than fully facing him.

That fight is the only thing I can ignore. The rest really does make Rey feel like a mary sue, especially the Falcon scene.
>>
>>64913742 -> >>64913776
>>64913765
Ren was easily the best part of the movie. That's the whole point, that he is Vader wannabe, not Vader expy. You were expecting Vader 2.0 and that why you don't like him.
>>
>>64913695
She's bad at understanding that she's being ditched
>>
>>64913852
Making plans
Using the force
Fighting sand people
>>
>>64913852
There are no protagonists who are bad at motw than two things at a time.
>>
>>64913808
None of those things, anon. My fucking toaster of a laptop dies whenever I'm in tumblr. I was looking for porn gifs

Why is Kylo Ren terrible? His point is to be terrible at what he's doing. I'm no Star Wars nerd so I might be wrong, but I almost think he's not the final villain. Rey is
>>
>>64913929
This. The only valid complaint someone could have about Kylo would be him losing the final fight, but that's just bad mary sue writing. He is shown to be very skilled in Finn's fight.
>>
>do people not think the hero of a classic fantasy franchise is not a classic fantasy hero archetype

Damn son you're on some next shit
>>
Thinly veiled "your waifu a shit" thread.
Goddamn newfags.
>>
File: bitchpls.jpg (676 KB, 900x1512) Image search: [Google]
bitchpls.jpg
676 KB, 900x1512
>>
>>64914157
You should have flipped the last face horizontally.
This image is worth... one quarter portion.
>>
She's supposed to be a role model for young girls in a children's movie, of course she's OP as fuck and has a bunch of unsubtle stronk womyn moments.
>>
>>64910894
She's a woman so any criticism, even a valid one, is literally the equivalent of declaring a war on all women
>>
>>64914051
You're right, he's probably not the final villain, but the reason why you perceive Ren as pathetic and terrible is because of JJ, he already said in interviews that he based Ren's character design off of keyboard Warriors and trolls/contrarian neckbeards, not even joking that's what he used as his inspiration for Kylo Ren
>>
are you nerds still talking about Star Wars ?
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 396x1004) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 396x1004
>>64913695

1- she was kind of a bad shot

2- Obvious emotional problems, wouldnt even let Finn hold her hand to pull her away from danger and savin her life.

3- She was overconfident in her mechanical skills, she fucked up and let out those tenticle monsters.

4- She ran away from what is cleary her destiney. A lightsaber literally called out the her and gave her visions, and her reaction is to run crying into the woods like a little bitch. Only to get caught and thus her destiney is forced upon her.
>>
>>64911065

Lana Del Rey and A$AP Rocky actually make a cute couple, tbhfam
>>
>>64914286
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>64913450
She didn't fly it perfectly.
>>
>>64914349
>Obvious emotional problems, wouldnt even let Finn hold her hand to pull her away from danger and savin her life.
No those are positive strong woman qualities
>>
>>64914349
Do you think her emotional problems were caused by Luke raping her?
>>
>>64914349
Anon when you post pics like that it devalues your already lacking arguments by making your waifu defense force faggotry blatant.
>>
>>64914286
I went to the movie without knowing anything. It's a miracle I knew so little about fucking Star Wars. I didn't know JJ directed it or that Kylo Ren was inspired by keyboard warriors/trolls.

It's just that after watching the movie, Ren just gives off the vibe of being very bad at being bad. He did say he still has a little "light" in him and he's struggling with that.

Again, I'm mo Star Wars nerd, but I'm really hoping Rey turns bad or some shit like that
>>
>>64913712
>proficient
>implying she wasn't on defense the entire fight, only at the end unbalancing Kylo which allowed her to injure him
>>
>>64911821
this tbqh senmpai senpai

plus, kylo paralyzes and knocks her out without effort in their first encounter
>>
>>64914349
I thought the hand holding was more of a joke that Finn is the one who is scared and needs to hold her/someone's hand, rather than some hint at emotional problems.
>>
>>64914535
Finn confirmed for superior waifu
>>
>>64914349
>Obvious emotional problems, wouldnt even let Finn hold her hand to pull her away from danger and savin her life
Not a problem according to feminist

>She was overconfident in her mechanical skills, she fucked up and let out those tenticle monsters.
Her mechanical skills was good enough for her fly on the Falcon better than Han Solo ever did.
>>
>>64914571
His hips are magnificent.
>>
A writer from essence street I knew once told me the parrels of intentionall writing a ground-breaking character. Socio-political dogma bleeds through because of public opinion, so they adapt to meet that. Cookie Monster had to be retooled because of bitching about eating disorders/addiction, Oscar had to be developed as liking garbage instead of being homeless/poor, and they've actively started to embrace Bert and Ernie being gay joke for representation in the gay community.
Where I'm going with this is the decision to make Rey a female they were committing (intentionally) to a Mary Sue character. Reason being any normal character flaw would be offensive. Can't pilot? Then she's part of the "women can't drive" joke or is t a genius with tech in a technowonderland? They'd botch that she's stupid, if she can't fight they'll be offended she's portrayed as weak an on and on. So what you have is a character that actually can't have any flaws at the end of the day, because they'd rather have people objecting over "nothing" than something a human rights group can file a motion over.
Seriously, this was all anticipated and she is what she is.
>>
>>64913795
my point was at least he had a family and safe place to live. they make it clear in TFA Rey basically just roams around pretty much.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>64914449

I really could not care less what you think, im just using this thread as a undercover waifu thread, no shame had here. Just dont want to get warned/banned again for by senor hotpockets.

>>64914426

To be fair to Rey, crazy ass aliens probably harass and try to rape her all the time, so she likely very defensive. But still, guy is freaking out saying your in danger and trying to help you and you give him shit for it, kind of a bitch move.
>>
>>64914370
http://www.themarysue.com/the-force-awakens-gatekeepers/
>>
>>64914349
You're really stretching to include "the refusal of the call" and "overconfidence" as a weakness. Her naivety or inexperience don't seem to effect her actions, and that's unrealistic and takes the audience out, im glad you like her and put the blinders on but most people have their own sensibility.
>>
File: 14216100000000.jpg (205 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
14216100000000.jpg
205 KB, 2000x1000
The fact alone that I never heard the term "Mary Sue" ever applied to any female power character before this, and now it's such a dominant attribute, indicates to me that she fulfills the description adequately

not the converse, which Reyfags tend to imply

I just don't like this character, maybe a good director will have a pair of balls with episode 8 and flesh her out better

at this point she seems like a 13 year old fat little tumblrites Star Wars fantasy
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 634x827) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 634x827
>>64914578
Her mechanical skills was good enough for her fly on the Falcon better than Han Solo ever did.

Fucking nope, she clearly almost crashed several times and only had like 2 tie fighters on her. Han flew the Falcon during the assault on the death star, a waaaay more impressive feat than what Rey did. She did seem to know how it works better than him, but flying skills Han was still way superior.
>>
>>64912953
Ho lee fuk you're dumb
>>
>not Rei
>not Ray
>but Rey
STILL MAD
>>
>>64914891

"King" in spanish

what exactly are they trying to imply here

also Kylo is a faggoty name
>>
>>64914578
>her fly on the Falcon better than Han Solo ever did.
Stop making shit up.
>>
>>64911043
>>64911065

you just gave me a new fantasy: doing both lana and TFAQT
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 599x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 599x591
>>64914742

How are running away like a coward and being too overconfident that leads to mistakes that nearly kill you and your friends not weaknesses?

And yea, she is way too good of a jedi too quickly. But so was Luke and /tv/ jerks it hard over him. Regardless its a space opera about space wizards who fight with energy swords and magic powers, dont take it too seriously faggots.
>>
>>64915044

>3 movies for Luke to finally get his shit together
>"way too good of a Jedi too quickly"

retards out themselves too quickly
>>
>>64910894
I fucking HATE her nose.
I'm not sure why, it's just distracting to me and I dint like it. Maybe it's because the rest of her face is so plain. IDK, but I can't be the only one.

Anyway, besides that she's fine in my book.
>>
>>64915044
>and so was Luke

That is complete bullshit, it took training with Yoda and Degoba to have any of the Force abilities Rey had
>>
>>64915044
Luke was shite and a bit of a chronic fuckup until he suddenly got mad offscreen character development between ESB and ROTJ
>>
>>64913852
In ANH Luke was a whiny little bitch who just wanted to fly around and shoot shit and maybe join the rebellion. He had no patience and because of that had trouble grasping the force. In the trench run the only reason he came out on top was because of Han saving his ass, otherwise he was probably a lot worse than the other X-Wing pilots there, he just got lucky. He doesn't really beat anyone, often he's the one being beaten or has to watch while someone saves him. He is quite clearly the student only just beginning to learn in ANH (just as the viewer is only just beginning the Star Wars series).

By RotJ he resolves these character flaws, to stand the ultimate test versus his father who once followed a similar path.
>>
>>64915094
i agree on the nose part.

her ears are also kinda gross. and when she smiles and shows those huge dickchomping teeth, when her lips turn into fucking snake lips, i hate that too.

anyway, 5/10 i banged hotter in college but would still give her the D
>>
luke was ten times worse.
>>
>>64915113
>That is complete bullshit, it took training with Yoda and Degoba to have any of the Force abilities Rey had
Objectively false.

Luke had been made aware he had the force just hours before he used it to destroy the Death Star, which is a more impressive task than Rey beating a mortally wounded and semi-psychologically traumatized Kylo Ren.

Also, pretty much any force ability Luke leaves Degobah with he already had, as we see him use them on Hoth. His training with Yoda only focused his powers.

The prequel logic of needing months and months to years of training to be proficient with the force is out the window. We're back to the basics.
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 906x1222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 906x1222
>>64915083
>>64915113
>>64915115

Luke was able to force grab his lightsaber early in ESB, before his yoda training, and he had barely any training from Obi.

And you all seem to forget they are HEAVILY implying that Rey had some sort of training already. Her past and parentage are a mystery for a reason, a obvious big twist in the next movie. While shity story telling, it can be a excuse for her already developed jedi powers.

Now look at her small white girl butt faggots
>>
>>64914796
>She did seem to know how it works better than him, but flying skills Han was still way superior.
shit like this bugs me. other anons in other threads said this is explained by her being a tech manual sperg, and reading about that shit makes sense ( i doubt Han was much on book learning, more of a street smarts guy). but this is buried in some side promotional material or novel, and shouldnt be. Show, don't tell. The movie should be complete itself and not need extra material to make sense.
>>
>>64915313
For completely different reasons though. He was an annoying whiny manlet who needed other people to bail him out all the time.
>>
>>64915206
>I banged hotter in college
I'm always tempted to raise an eyebrow when I hear this phrase because anyone that has graduated from college knows sex is easier to obtain AFTER college.
>>
>>64915370
You're forgetting that Han is not a pilot. He's a smuggler.

He doesn't even fly the falcon, Chewie does.
>>
>>64915345

I'm not even going to entertain your weak justification

I've heard it before and it's getting pretty tiring having to correct your ass a million times, I'll let you wade in your delusion
>>
>>64910938
Being perfect is part of being a Larry Jew
>>
>>64915044
Luke was a pretty shit Jedi in all 3 movies m8. His biggest triumph was probably destroying the Deathstar because he did it by himself. He only beat Vader because he got angry and was close to falling to the dark side. Then got BTFO by Sheev and had to be saved by daddy.

The biggest problem with Rey is that her skills are more or less unexplained. I mean it's not far fetched that she's a skilled mechanic, given she works with mechanical parts everyday to get food. It's not unrealistic that she's a skilled fighter since we see her staff, and she beats up a couple of thugs. Her piloting skills may be because she had spent some time in space ships and got the basics of them, maybe did some sims on the crashed destroyer, and because of the Force. But it's all rather unexplained. I hope she has better character development in the next movie.
>>
>>64915344
Wow Luke believed in himself and used the force to shoot one blast accurately when he was already known to be a good shot

If it was Rey she would have jumped off the X-Wing and beat Vader in a lightsaber fight and then thrown Sheev into a pit and blew up the death star without anyone giving her any advice
>>
>>64915461
>Han doesn't fly the Falcon

are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>64910894
Faggs are still defending this piece of shit movie with this piece of shit mary sue?

this people are bottom feeders.
>>
>>64915416
unless you live in a big city there's zero chance that's a hard rule, unless you're making bank right out of college
>>
>>64915519
>because he did it by himself
After Han saved his ass from getting destroyed and Obi Wan piped in to tell him to use the force.

The only major accomplishment Luke can take full credit for is getting Vader to renounce the dark side.
>>
>>64915542
>Wow Luke believed in himself and used the force to shoot one blast accurately when he was already known to be a good shot
He had never even flown an X Wing before.
He made a super precise shot with zero targeting equipment. Even Vader, a veteran Sith Lord, flying around behind him was impressed by his connection to the force.

What Rey accomplishes is far less impressive because it's established before she beats Kylo that he's pretty shit. Boyega scores a hit on him.
>>
>>64911366
What a neckbeard it must take to post this
>>
>>64915344
>a pilot doing his job
>vs some random slut facing a force user in combat

yeah luke destroying the death star wars so unbelievable, what a mary sue. not like the rebels were going to send their normal, non-force sensitive pilots on to do the same mission luke just happened to complete

fucking retarded redditor
>>
File: image.jpg (439 KB, 1414x1469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
439 KB, 1414x1469
>>64915370

>Show, don't tell.

Well, when we first see her she is scavaging a big ass ship, so we see she knows ships really well, since that is literally her life. Also she clearly knew about the Falcon, she knew how it changed hands and ended up in that desert parking lot. She called it garbage, implying that she was somewhat knowlable about the workings of it to declare it bad. Also was impressed when she learn it was THE Millenium Falcon.

Its really not that much of a stretch for someone who was literaly raised on a ship scrapyard, to know alot about ships. If you were raised in a junkyard/ garage, youd have a pretty good working knowlege of cars
>>
>>64915596
>you need money to get hot girls
Anon, you have so much to learn
>>
>>64914349
>1
>Uh she was sort of a bad shot I g-guess...

Kek. She pretty much never used a blaster in her life and she used it amazingly.

>2

You are digging super deep for emotional problems. It was just supposed to be a quip.

>3

She released them so they could have an action scene and also it ended up saving everyone.

>4

She ran away from her destiny in one scene for about a minute. It was short lapse of judgement. I would give you this one as a legitimate flaw but she only did this once and instantly got over it in the next scene and it was never brought up again.
>>
>>64915647
Yeah, but HE took the shot, sure he had some help, but he was the only one who could do it because the Force helped him.
>The only major accomplishment Luke can take full credit for is getting Vader to renounce the dark side.
That's true of course.
>>
>>64915707
>She called it garbage, implying that she was somewhat knowlable about the workings of it to declare it bad.

BS, Luke called the MF a hunk of junk and he wasn't knowledgable about the working of the MF.
>>
>>64915712
coming from the virgin talking out of his ass
>>
>>64915696
Luke had never flown an X Wing before.
He had pilot experience with land crafts.

Rey had never used a lightsaber before but she does have combat experience with melee weapons, as demonstrated earlier in the movie.

It's the same fucking thing, only Luke's target wasn't mortally wounded.

Stop trying to shove your /pol/ logic into this argument. I agree that TFA is was too SJW influenced for my liking, but the idea that what Rey does is unheard of in this franchise is beyond false.
>>
>>64910894
She doesn't resemble JJ Abrams so why would you think she is his self-insert
>>
>>64914926
Well he is supposed to be a faggot
>>
>>64910894
Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker. Notice how close the hug with Leia was despite only meeting her ONCE? Almost blood related no? As if its a long lost aunt.

Luke force wiped her mind and tried to hide her. She was the second force child that Luke was trying to train.

She is the 1st cousin of Kylo Ren a.k.a Ben Solo. Why else would Anakin/Luke's blade go only to Rey and not Kylo when force pulled? Simple it responded to the bloodline of Jedi Skywalkers. Leia doesn't count with Ben because she wasn't a Jedi but she was force sensitive.

I'm glad that the new movies are taking chunks of the EU from Old Republic and New Republic era's but I REALLY want to see Coruscant in the next movie and space battles.
>>64911077
Poe and Finn are gonna be gay couple if you believe the alleged set leak photos that were on reddit a couple days ago.
>>
>>64915773
I never claimed to be a playa, anon.
I simply corrected your false statement that you need to be wealthy to have sex with hot girls. Anyone with a spine knows this.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 360x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 360x224
>>64915583

>this people are bottom feeders.

If your going to have a superiority complex, atleast type like you are not a retard.
>>
>>64915345

>Struggling to force grab a light saber sticking out of the snow after having trained with the Force for three fucking years
>Successfully force grabbing a light saber after having learned of the existence of the Force seven hours beforehand and overpowering the force grab of a fucking savant-level force user to do so

What goes through youre head to think that these are equal? And dont give me that bullshit about Rens incomplete training: his skills in light saber combat are the only thing in debate, his prodigal level of force control is absolutely not.
>>
>>64915818
Aside from the projection of the writer, she is the epitome of a Mary Sue, open your fucking eyes
>>
>>64915815
>only Luke's target wasn't mortally wounded.

You should have paid attention during the briefing scene. Luke mentioned he has no difficulty shooting at small targets from a large distance on his speeder.
>>
>>64911408
>Able to fly Millenium Falcon with 0 beforehand knowledge

>Can use and spam Mind Trick with ease which is one of the hardest force moves to use only avaible to masters with years of training
>Can handle a lightsaber without training and fight against someone with actual proper lightsaber and force training even though injured
>B-but muh staff
Staff and sword combat are nothing alike
>>
>>64915761

Luke didnt work at a garage where the MF was sitting for years. Rey probably had to clean the Falcon and shit.
>>
>>64915870
Even if she was revealed to be Luke's daughter which is likely it still makes her a boring Mary Sue in this movie
>>
File: 1367926780075.jpg (67 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
1367926780075.jpg
67 KB, 473x480
The real crime in TFA is JJ Abrams shit directing style
>>
File: NotHowMarySueDo.webm (2 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
NotHowMarySueDo.webm
2 MB, 720x304
>>64910894
The whole complaint is a retarded maymay that you nerds probably just learned from Max Landis. There are lots of protagonists who aren't incapable of doing things. A Mary Sue is someone who is fucking perfect and doesn't stress and says some too-perfect comebacks every time they get into a fight that they easily win. Protagonist from Taken is a lot closer to a Mary Sue than Rey is.

>Unlike standard Mary Sue trope, we are provided contextual exposition that explains why she knows a lot about mechanical engineering, spacecraft, and how to defend herself.
>Unlike standard Mary Sue trope, she's constantly running for her life, running away, trying not to get killed, sweating her ass off, extremely distressed, and spends half the movie rejecting that she's a hero at all. That ain't a Mary Sue.
>Now that we have screeners, the idea that she "kicked Kylo's ass" is dead. He spends the entire time beating the shit out of her, until he gives her time to consider his job offer, in which she has a "use the force" moment exactly like her father, and is briefly able to overcome an impossible obstacle. Pretty standard protagonist trope.
>Another common buttwhine is that "everyone likes her." Which is pretty fucking stupid when you watch the movie. Fucking nobody likes her on Jakku. Her boss rips her off and exploits her labor, she's constantly bickering at or being bickered at, and constantly having to defend herself from people trying to fuck her over. The fact that she has a common bond with fellow orphan Finn while they are forced to work together so as to not die doesn't make her a Mary Sue. And the fact that Han doesn't hate her after she proves she can be helpful doesn't make her a Mary Sue either.
>Other complaint I've seen is that Leia hugs her before chewie. When you rewatch it Rey walks out first and walks directly to Leia looking sad. It's not like Liea steps around Chewie. And it's likely that Rey is her niece or some shit.
>>
File: 1394143612444.jpg (112 KB, 1277x719) Image search: [Google]
1394143612444.jpg
112 KB, 1277x719
>>64915956
Because cleaning a car is the same as driving it am I right?
>>
>>64915907
>You should have paid attention during the briefing scene. Luke mentioned he has no difficulty shooting at small targets from a large distance on his speeder.
>Luke mentioned he has no difficulty shooting at small targets from a large distance on his speeder.
>from a large distance on his speeder.
>on his speeder
>his speeder
>speeder

No anon, I think you should have played more attention.
>>
>>64915901

I can lift a 50 pound bag easy, but shoot me in the gut with the blaster equvilent of a .50 cal and i might not be so good at lifting it and a waeker woman would be able to lift it better than me.
>>
>>64915902
>Aside from the projection of the writer,
But that's the only thing that would make her a Mary Sure.

Otherwise she is just a poorly written character.
>>
The reason people defend Luke's accomplishments as being more realistic given his level of training is because for every accomplishment there are scenes that show him struggling and growing as not only a Jedi but as a person which humanizes the shit out of him. You look at him in ANH and see a naive kid fucking about trying not to get his shit wrecked. He spends half his time in the Dagobah scenes trying and failing to prove himself. He comes off as annoying sometimes but still very much a humanized and sympathetic character.

Even if it's revealed that Rey had Jedi training and went through her own fair share of trials, it still damages her as a character as of now because we're given all of this shit and expected to just accept it because she's the protag.
>>
>>64916010
The guy from Taken gets hurt in the movies right?

Also doesn't he have some sort of background in fucking people up?

Nah the girl dirt farmer from planet dirt being good at everything isn't mary sue like at all
>>
>>64916070
#REKT
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 500x351
>>64916025

If your a dam good mechanic, getting a close up look at a car and it's engine and learning about it would give you some insight about it. Good dam, i swear half of you are actually autistic. What basic concept will i have to explain next.
>>
>>64916070
I didn't justify his ability to fly an X-Wing, but his ability to hit a small target from a large range. Read before you write.
>>
>>64916183

She isn't a mechanic. She's a scavenger. Does your bum ass local can collector know how to brew a perfect beer? Faggot
>>
>>64910894
Who fucking cares?

Do you literal autists have no lives outside this stupid movie?
>>
>>64915668
You're trying too hard my man. like had faith and It was implied Obi-wan "guided" his shot to show him the power of the force. Rey had inexplicable miraculous powers multiple times throughout the film with zero help or mentoring.
>>
>>64916100
Pretty much this. Yes Luke blows up the deathstar and does some cool stuff in episode 6 too but in general he mostly fails. So it's that much better when he finally does something right.

I've seen some images summarizing all the times Luke fails but off the top of my head

>gets beat by a sandperson and has to be saved
>loses a fight with vader and has to be saved by friends
>gets fucked by the yeti thing
>has to get saved by han after he escapes the yeti
>needs to be saved by han when hes about to blow up the death star
>needs to be saved by r2d2 when they are in the trash compactor thing
>gets captured by Jabba
>needs friends help escaping Jabba
>needs vader to save him from being fucked by sheev
>sucks at training with Yoda
>most people get a bad first impression of him

That's the main problem with Rey is she has no character building moments. She leaves desert planet and basically destroys everyone without getting a scratch on her.
>>
>>64916257
>questioning anything in media is something a tin-foil would do
>>
>>64916183
Nothing says she's a mechanic

We are introduced to her character by her pulling metal out of a thing and brushing it clean. Wow what a technological genius!
>>
File: 1396891646204.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1396891646204.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
>>64914796
>Fucking nope, she clearly

First off new friend learn to quote.

Secondly she jumped into the Falcon and 2 seconds later was flying with pretty fucking great skill. Then she knew more about the mechanics of the Falcon then Han. That's retarded.

Everything came waaaaaay too easy for her.
She does the Jedi mind trick, beats Emo Vader. There's ZERO growth.

Luke was a whiny bitch for 2 movies. Fucking up and struggling with the force. It wasn't until Jedi, 3 films later, that he kicked ass.

It's called character development.

You feminist SJW are some blind muther fuckers.
>>
>>64916010
>Now that we have screeners
>>
>>64916337
Rey mindread Kylo, which inferred all his knowledge about the force onto her. This is why she knows how to use force powers like manipulate that one stormtrooper to free her from her prison.
>>
>>64916394
They're not blind, its their version of taqqiya, they know exactly what's going on
>>
>>64916010
>0 training
>Is able to defend against Kylo perfectly
>Somehow Kylo never uses force in that fight
>Somehow everything in the plot bends to go in favor of her
>Not a Mary Sue
>>
>>64916439

And here we have the fact that an untrained person whimsically mind-read a well trained and force powerful dark side user

that is 100x worse
>>
>>64916010
She literally doesn't get scratched during that fight

What are you on about?
>>
File: confirmed for autism.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
confirmed for autism.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>64916025
>>64914578
>>64912300
>>64911519
>>64911338
>>64911077
>>
>>64916238

Wow, you actually are autistic. Im so sorry

Being able to take apart vastly complicated machinary and parts like that that make up star destoyers and tie fighters implying she has a good working knowlegde of how they work. Also she worked at the scrapyard/ garage cleaning and assembling/dissambling engine parts.
>>
>>64916439
Oh wow, and how in the hell did she know how to "mind-read"? Never explained of course because that would make her too weak

BRAVO JJ
>>
>>64916439
That isn't any better
>>
>>64916010
mmm that webm reminds me how much i actually enjoyed the film. i might just go see it again
>>
>>64915870

> Why else would Anakin/Luke's blade go only to Rey and not Kylo when force pulled? Simple it responded to the bloodline of Jedi Skywalkers

This is fucking retarded. When else have you heard of this shit?

>Hurr this thing resists my pull because it belongs to a bloodline

Seriously, this is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard of. This isn't Harry Potter you fags
>>
File: 1397506229121.jpg (27 KB, 324x278) Image search: [Google]
1397506229121.jpg
27 KB, 324x278
>>64916439
>Rey mindread Kylo, which inferred all his knowledge

Are you trolling?

His point was she was too powerful from the start.

And all you're doing is proving his point.
>>
>>64916183
>One person pilots a two-person ship flawlessly navigates it through an old star destroyer, pulls off advanced maneuvers Han solo couldn't even pull off, know where all the controls are, knows where the guns are, knows how to navigate into space, knows where the hiding spots are, knows how to release toxic gas, knows how to bypass the compressor XD
>all because she cleaned it a few times
It's not fun to see characters do everything perfectly, it's fun to watch them try and fail but ultimately succeed by opening their mind/heart/advice/mentoring/overcoming their fears or insecurities.
>>
>>64916194

The T-16 isn't a speeder you nonce, that's what he was referring to.
>>
>>64916508

>ad hom, check
>vapid statement with no basis, check

dropped

fuck off, I'm so tired of you idiots

1. can you take apart your computer's motherboard?
2. when your computer has an issue, can you immediately locate which component is causing that issue?

No, you fucking can't

you take it to a fucking guy who's been trained extensively with that information

she is literally a fucking desert bum

Liberal Arts fags are literally cancer
>>
>>64916358
Nobody said that you stupid fuck
>>
>itt everyone forgets Kylo was wounded by Chewies blaster bolt and Finns saber slash and thats the reason why he was beat by Rey.
>>
>>64916583
>hurr sjw
You sure showed him. She obviously knows her way around mechanics and space ships. It is literally shown in her first scenes.
>>
>>64916010

Well done for not falling back on the dumb 'Luke blew up the Death Star on his own using the force' defence. Still some bits I'd take issue with, though:

>briefly able to overcome an impossible obstacle. Pretty standard protagonist trope.

But it's an OTT example, compared to previous Star Wars movies. We've never previously had a newbie beat a dark-sider with just one moment of concentration.

>Fucking nobody likes her on Jakku, etc.

It's about the main characters, not random nobodies. Han, Leia and Yoda were all unimpressed by Luke. The Jedi council was unimpressed by Anakin. Han and Leia hated each other. Lando had to get past being seen as a double-crosser.

And the stuff about having to run away? It's Star Wars - of course the good guys have to escape the baddies.
>>
>>64916631

and Rey was force thrown into a tree and knocked unconscious

no one really cares about minutiae btw

her entire character is garbage, not that one moment, it's just the cherry on top
>>
>>64916631
So goddamn what?
Kylo still was able to fight well only somehow Rey had magical lightsaber training out of nowhere.
Somehow Kylo never used force in the fight, remember when he force bitchslapped Rey? Yeah i bet you dont
>>
>>64916583

If i worked at a computer store from when i was 5 to when im 20 something, yea i would be able to easily take apart my motherboard, ya dipshit.
>>
>>64916629
No, buts with you saying "who cares" and "do you autists have a life" infers that anyone making negative statements about a character lauded by feminists is a gatekeeper and a tin foil conspiracy theorist
>>
>>64916653

Thanks for not reading the post or understanding technology whatsoever

I will give you that the reddit crowd will probably think taking apart and tinkering with ship parts => being a great mechanic, though

this is the pop sci generation we live in after all
>>
>>64916653
Does it show her being able to pilot a start ship? No it fucking doesnt
>>
File: 1427579511232.jpg (12 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
1427579511232.jpg
12 KB, 300x231
>>64916685

False equivalency

let's see if you can wrap your tiny head around that one faggot

if you lived in the dumpster behind the computer store you would not in fact come out the other side an electrical engineer
>>
>>64916257

Thanks for commenting on something you have no interest in. Any thoughts on Bolivian agricultural policy?
>>
>>64916439
That idea is worse than every sonic fanfic ever existed
>>
>>64916547
You do know Jedi are essentially space samurai right?

A samurai's weapon has a spirit of its own. If they are going this route with the new trilogy then its not impossible to imagine it went for Rey who wanted to take the saber back to its rightful owner Luke, Son of the original owner rather than Kylo who sought it merely to extend his own self woth and personal force power having the saber of Anakin and Luke skywalker.

It could also merely be that Kylo was so weak and wounded from his multiple injuries pre battle and during battle that his force power was spent whilst Rey's had just awoken.
>>
>>64916685
>take apart a motherboard

So you heated the board to scrap the copper and grabbed the NB and SB when you were 5?
>>
>>64916755

Sabers do not have personality or will. This is not canon. It's Nu Wars Harry Potter shit

this was the most offensive Star Wars "episode" ever
>>
>>64916513

Rey didn't know how to mindread at first. She was being mindread by Kylo for a minute or two. After that, she managed to block him out and do the same to him. How she exactly managed to do that wasn't explicitely told, but it could be that the skill to mindread is easy for force sensitive people, so just being aware of it would be enough.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 529x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 529x350
>>64916745

If the computer store owner had me work on computers for food, guess what i would get gud at working on computers, you fucking numbskull.
>>
>>64916746
When someone tells you to fuck off. Do you stay around them?

Thats probably how you ended up here
>>
>>64916829

She does not have a job as a mechanic idiot

she is a desert bum
>>
>>64916829
>work on computers

She didn't do that though. She was literally picking up parts and then cleaning them and selling him.

There was no scene where she learned to repair a ship or program a ship or fucking anything.

>but m-muh implications
>>
>>64916813
>It could totally be like what I imagine
>Why my imagination is not treated as canon
Even mind trick is one of the hardest force moves. Do you think reading minds is as easy as someone with 0 force training can do?
>>
File: Marty says NAH.webm (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Marty says NAH.webm
121 KB, 1280x720
>>64916117
>The guy from Taken gets hurt in the movies right?
If he does get hurt it's never a big deal. And it's not like Rey doesn't get hurt. AND it's not like that has anything to do with the Mary Sue trope.
>Also doesn't he have some sort of background in fucking people up?
Doesn't she?
>Nah the girl dirt farmer from planet dirt being good at everything isn't mary sue like at all
Except she's not a farmer. That's Luke. She's shown scavenging mechanical parts from and for spaceships. She's shown defending herself a few times. There's MORE exposition that is SHOWN explaining why Rey is good at mechanical shit, climbing, fighting, and would understand how flying works. Takenman they just sit around having beers and he's like "Being a badass in the CIA sure was crazy right guys?"
>>64916479
>0 training
Implying she wasn't shown knowing how to defend herself with her stick multiple times in the first act.
>Is able to defend against Kylo perfectly
literally on her heels after every strike. Just barely managing to block. Not to mention Kylo isn't trying to klll her.
>Somehow Kylo never uses force in that fight
Kylo is all fucked up. Emotionally, physically, and in his understanding of the force. Kinda the whole point.
>Somehow everything in the plot bends to go in favor of her
Fuck sake you retards are starting to confuse protagonists with Mary Sue. Her hometown is blown up, the bar she visits is blown up, she is kidnapped, her mentor is murdered by his kid in front of her, she struggles with her Hero's Journey call to action for awhile, she struggles with letting go of the past.
>SHE DOESN'T GET MURDERED AND RAPED. CONFIRMED FOR MARY SUE.
That's you.
>>
>>64916755
>this whole post

Nice non-sequitur

Just because the original movie is based on a japanese tale doesn't mean that Jedi are literally space samurai. The rest of the movies completely deviate from that

Even your retarded samurai analogy was half true, never in any of the other movies has it been previously established that there's something like a spirit link between Jedi and their lightsaber. In fact both ESB and ROTJ make the lightsabers completely disposable weapons, because the greatest tool of the Jedi is the Force. There's no fucking reason for the lightsaber to be some mystical Mcguffin because they have always been replaceable trivial weapons in every single movie.

>It could also merely be that Kylo was so weak and wounded from his multiple injuries pre battle and during battle that his force power was spent whilst Rey's had just awoken.

That makes no sense either, Luke wasn't immediately able to use Force powers either just because Obi Wan "awakened" him to it. It's poor shitty writing designed to shoot a "cool" scene for Rey
>>
>>64911408
>Han hands her a gun
> instead of thanking him says "I think I can handle myself
She was absolutely written by an SJW
>>
File: 504.jpg (35 KB, 497x497) Image search: [Google]
504.jpg
35 KB, 497x497
>mfw I miss the prequels.
>>
>>64916971
This

At least Anakin had some growth
>>
File: ACCUSING FINGER.jpg (32 KB, 360x224) Image search: [Google]
ACCUSING FINGER.jpg
32 KB, 360x224
>>64916498
She gets thrown around by explosions and force pushes and everything else the entire time. She doesn't get hurt by Kylo because Kylo is trying to recruit her. We're really at the point where because she's not like bleeding from the face the entire time she's a shitty character?

And what in the fuck does that have to do with Mary Sue anyway? Mary Sue trope doesn't imply they're fucking Luke Cage and literally can't be scratched. What are YOU on about?
>>
>>64916971

Oddly enough TFA made me realize their worth

my how creativity has died
>>
I love how every single "argument" Reyfags have basically is either a logical fallacy, trying to misinterpret or flat out come up with things that are never shown or told in the movie, or just gasping at straws by saying it was explained in the novel
>>
Luke fits the more traditional concept of a Mary Sue being an author insert but his character development arc more than makes up for it. Rey might go through a lot of character growth across the span of her three movies but as it stands she fits the all powerful and everyone loves her bit of the Mary Sue formula perfectly.

Right now it's hard to judge because her character arc is going to span three films and in the context of only TFA it's very shallow.
>>
>>64916904
The movies have never explained which force powers are easy to use and which hard, so I wouldn't know. What has been established is that through the power of self-confidence, you can unlock your dormant force powers and perform amazing magical feats.
>>
>>64916874
>>64916883

In the trippy vision scene, we see Rey bein left with the fat alien that runs the scrapyard. He likely had her trained in scraping/ working on ships so she would not be a total mooch an carry her weight.

>she didnt go to mechanical school and get a degree, how can she work on ship?

Its called learning by doing faggots, its literall all she does, work on ships and ship parts, yoi guys really think she never picked up anything more than grab shiney metal parts, clean and sell them. 15 years alone in a desert, i would probably start fucking around with engine parts to see what i could make or get working out of sheer boredom
>>
>>64916971
>being a teenager
>>
>>64917081

>Self-confidence

More than that. Enlightenment. True meditation. Guidance

>magic

It's presented as a material property in that universe, a medium, not magic
>>
>>64916695
>he thinks Star Wars is science fiction
>>64916736
Is it ever shown that Luke knows how to fly an X-Wing before he sits in one for the first time in life and then pilots it effortlessly?
>>
>>64916971
This desu.
>>
>>64916439
Rey clearly had known about the Jedi before.

She was obsessed with the war.
>>
>>64916925
>Believing defending yourself with a staff against nobodies and defending yourself with a sword against someone who has real proper training is the same thing.
>On her heels
>>64916010
0:00 to 0:10, she has 0 fucking trouble there
>Kylo never used force after he actually uses force against her 2 mins ago
Yeah it is because he is totally fucked up in the head meanwhile we had seen him use force pretty easily beforehand. That point is your bullshit.
>Home town is blown up, some place she has been to is blown up, kidnapped
Boohoo what tradegy meanwhile her ability to mind read Kylo, spamming a high level force ability with ease. Instantly healing from getting slammed by a tree are never explained
>>
File: dooku superior.jpg (702 KB, 2116x2149) Image search: [Google]
dooku superior.jpg
702 KB, 2116x2149
>>64916549
>His point was she was too powerful from the start.
That's not a Mary Sue though. She's a character who's discovering they've been burdened with superpowers. Is Clark Kent a Mary Sue? Is Wolverine? All the X-Men? King Arthur was the only person able to pull the sword from the stone, why was HE the only one?! ALL CONFIRMED FOR MARY SUE.
>>
>>64917098

>In the trippy vision scene, we see Rey bein left with the fat alien that runs the scrapyard. He likely had her trained in scraping/ working on ships so she would not be a total mooch an carry her weight.

She apparently didn't get "trained" that much, or wasn't very good, if they didn't give her an actual job to that effect and she was living as a bum

>Its called learning by doing faggots, its literall all she does, work on ships and ship parts, yoi guys really think she never picked up anything more than grab shiney metal parts, clean and sell them. 15 years alone in a desert, i would probably start fucking around with engine parts to see what i could make or get working out of sheer boredom

She takes things apart. There is nothing to say that she likes putting things together. Anakin has C3PO and his pod racer to show for his technical abilities he's honed, for example. She plays with rusty old pilot's helmets in her spare time.
>>
>>64917160
Obi Wan is /tv/. Dex is George Lucas forgiving us.
>>
>>64917190

>has the widest range of ability and intelligence ever presented in a Star Wars episode
>people immediately like her and trust her
>no major setbacks and beats the main villain at the end

textbook Mary Sue
>>
>>64916849

Fuck off.
>>
>>64917081
More like years of hard training since childhood, guidance from a Jedi master. Meditation.
>Force is magic
You do realize that statement is retarded right?
Force is established as a fundemantal power in the universe like Chi
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.