[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst character ever >This character makes no sense, it cames
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: maz-kanata_a5c3c8a5.jpg (394 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
maz-kanata_a5c3c8a5.jpg
394 KB, 768x432
Worst character ever
>This character makes no sense, it cames from nowhere just for few minutes
>Too fucking old, pseudo Yoda
>"Im not Jedi but I know about the force" This is the worst bullshit ever
>Lolsorandumb female character, he makes "funny" looking into eyes, who tought that's funny?
>More annoying than Jar Jar
>Having Anakin's lightsabers is retarded
>Character written in one minute on knee
>>
>>64904669
f
>>
File: 1426001315785.jpg (28 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
1426001315785.jpg
28 KB, 680x583
WHY DID THEY BRING THE DROID TO THE BAR WHEN THEY KNEW EVERYONE WOULD BE LOOKING FOR IT
>>
>actually seeing that film
>>
>>64904669

I actually thought her assessment of Finn's eyes would've revealed his association with The First Order. I was so fucking pissed when it was a red-herring just for movie tension.

Rey's reaction is pretty underwhelming, too. You'd think they'd at least feel betrayed by such a secret being kept from them.
>>
Was it explained why she had anakins lightsaber? I thought Luke was using it in empire when he got separated from his hand?
>>
>>64904897
No.
>>
>>64904897
>That's a story for a time when we've written the script for the sequel
>>
>>64904976

>Prequel trilogy for the sequel trilogy to the original trilogy
>>
>>64904669
The character was originally supposed to be a puppet/practical effects. I can't remember the reason behind it but they couldn't go through with this in the end (might be time constraints) so this weird looking character was shat out asap
>>
>>64904669
Best character ever.
>>
>>64904669
I disliked her character too but none of those are good arguments, sounds like you are 12
>>
>>64905029
I thought the character was always going to be CGI but Ndugu was so shit that J.J. had scenes re-written and/or cut out to work around it (the scene from the trailer with the orange hand giving the lightsabre to Rey comes to mind) and we were left with the hodgepodge garbage in the current film.
>>
File: 1452757587017.webm (2 MB, 858x358) Image search: [Google]
1452757587017.webm
2 MB, 858x358
>>64905051
all these "SW are serious business" debates look like all the participants are edgy 12 years old nerds with severe autism.
>>
>>64905051
So post better arguments then
>>
>>64905117
Shut your cunt
>>
File: 0952 - lbD98JM.png (775 KB, 715x535) Image search: [Google]
0952 - lbD98JM.png
775 KB, 715x535
>>64905117
t..this isnt in the film? i.. is it?

this is horrible
>>
people aren't allowed to read about things?
>>64904897
She was a pirate or something and collected treasure, I think it's explained in the book.

That's the problem with TFA, so much detail is left to the side material that only autists read.

Did you know that Rey has a computer she uses to learn alien languages and study spaceship plans and shit? Did you know she built her speeder herself?

No you don't, nobody knows because it's not in the film, instead she just inexplicably has abilities that could easily by explained and justified given a few scenes.
>>
>>64905228
>people aren't allowed to read about things?
It ruined OT(again). In OT Jedis were the only ones that know about the force, it was completely forgotten but they were the keepers of that knowledge
>>
>>64905228
>That's the problem with TFA, so much detail is left to the side material that only autists read.

I'm gonna be cynical and suggest those guys filled in material that didn't exist.
>>
>>64904669
this is the stretch of creativity from TFA
there was little effort on any details that wasnt part of the agenda driven fast paced main plot

anyone who genuinely thinks this is a star wars film needs having their head checked. its an action flick no more no less
>>
>>64905309
This, it should be clear jew jew slapped this shit together with the minimum of effort required as per usual
>>
>>64905309
I thought of that, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but you're probably right.
>>
>>64905322
All starwars movies are flicks you fuckin pleb
>>
>>64905117
how did rey go from such a shitty pilot to knowing/flying the ship better than han?
>>
>>64905322
what is a star wars film anon? Which episodes are star wars films?
>>
>>64905322
this
>>
>>64904669
I actually thought she was one of the only interesting characters in the movie. I was so bored of the Rey/Finn/Han circlejerk up to that point
>>
>>64904669
"I am mid movie exposition, please ask as many questions to my horrible character design as you can
"The force ?"
"Yes, I am exposition, I know about the force, here's a light saber. Anything else for your service ?"
>>
>>64905386
>>
File: Tragedy.jpg (981 KB, 1456x816) Image search: [Google]
Tragedy.jpg
981 KB, 1456x816
>>64905386
the prequels were the actual films
inb4 bait

all the depth to the prequels, the world designs, all the talks walking through the jedi temple hallways, the characters, the coruscant politics, all of that is what makes the star wars films so great

in TFA there was nothing outside of the main plot (i found it hard actually calling it a plot, im not sure if there is one)

i dont wanna hear talk about the cgi either.
the prequels were the best
>>
>>64905285
Did they explicitly say that or did you draw that conclusion yourself?

It seems stupid that only Jedi's know about the force.
>>
>>64905405
you skipped the first question
>>
>>64905451
FALSE FLAG
>>
>>64905451
ha hahah ha

aha
>>
File: admiralackbar1_2_845df144.jpg (60 KB, 480x240) Image search: [Google]
admiralackbar1_2_845df144.jpg
60 KB, 480x240
>>64905285
was he a Jedi as well?
>>
>>64905472
No, that was my answer to both questions.
>>
>>64905497
enumeration is not description, i still dont know what a star wars film is
>>
>>64904777
This is what I thought too, what a let down
>>
>>64905490
>
(You)
>>
>>64905451

Are the prequels hated for being disappointing or do people genuinely believe they're Birdemic-tier bad? It's fascinating how two (Revenge of the Sith excluded as it's not overly hated) films trigger people so severely.
>>
>>64905509
I gave you six examples, friend.
>>
>>64905490
He's midichlorian count was high
>>
>>64904669
But it could have been worse I just read that there's a scene in which she uses the force to collapse a ceiling at the beginning of the attack against her castle. Lucky for us, they probably noted that it doesn't make any fucking sense and decided to cut the scene.
>>
>>64905529
and i still dont see how the seventh one does not fit the rest, you should elaborate if you want your examples to be comunicative
>>
>>64905510

So much shit annoyed me. Weren't they ready to release poisonous gas into the Millennium Falcon to kill The First Order "intruders"? What fucking stopped them? They had more than a minute to actually do it yet they just pause until Han Solo finds them.
>>
>>64905568
'no'
Look at the differences between the examples I have provided, and TFA.

Use your feelings buddy, and find them you will.
>>
>>64905518
im not sure. i mean i can understand why some people may not like aspects of TPM but revenge is objectively a great film

i think its all the old timers that hate on the prequels because theyre upset they werent still using puppet yoda's
>>
>>64905631
but i have none, i just had fun with SW since i was 7, and they are still fun
>>64905642
>revenge is ibjectively a great film

it is not tho
>>
>>64905075
>the scene from the trailer with the orange hand giving the lightsabre to Rey

No, she was giving it to Leia. the original script had her going back to base with everyone. That was scrapped, not because the actor was shit, but because she was rightfully determined to have no purpose there.
>>
>>64905691
>posting under the influence
shaking my god damn head family
>>
>>64905699
>not because the actor was shit,
Lupita pls
>>
>>64905699
Oh. Okay.

>because she was rightfully determined to have no purpose there.

What do you mean? She seems to serve a pretty major purpose and have more to reveal.
>>

I don't like the character and Lupita Nyong'o didn't sound old enough to convincingly play some millenium-old shriveled peanut alien. Having said that, it's only reasonable to think that people other than the Jedi have some knowledge of this force which is meant to inhabit and influence every living thing in the galaxy.
>>
>>64904767
Flick*
>>
>>64905117
what rip is this?

looks better than anything I've seen online
>>
>>64905735
I think the thing was she had already given her speeches to the main characters, and tagged along sort of just to meet Leia and reiterate what the audience already knew. Was probably taking up too much screen time and slowing down the film at that point where it was already pretty slow.
>>
>>64905753
>in 20 years people forgot about powerful jedi and their beliefs

It's almost like claiming that noone in SOviet union remembered orthodox christianity. That anon is a retard

> Lupita Nyong'o didn't sound old enough to convincingly play some millenium-old shriveled peanut alien

this
>>
>>64905797
YIFY
>>
>>64905848
harhar
>>
>>64905801
>already pretty slow.
Did we watch the same movie?
>>
>>64905801
>I think the thing was she had already given her speeches to the main characters,

Her major one comes when she's speaking to Rey, i assume that would happen around the time she gives the sabre to Leia

>d tagged along sort of just to meet Leia and reiterate what the audience already knew.

Speculating a fair bit, why didn't they realize this way earlier prior to shooting and CGIing?

>Was probably taking up too much screen time and slowing down the film at that point where it was already pretty slow.

I might be alone here but I think the film needed more of that. The first half hour or so is just rush, rush, rush and there's no fucking breathing space. Think of all your favourite Star Wars moments and I guarantee they will be in a moment that is "pretty slow" for idiots.
>>
>>64905822
It's more like claiming people forgot about the Free masonry

Which they kinda did, the common filth at least
>>
>>64905383
She never flies the ship better than Han. Watch the movie before commenting on it.
>>
>>64905902
Oh, but she does.
>>
>>64905117
This scene bothered me.

How do they miss so many times? Yet when the resistance shows up they hit every shot.
>>
>>64905451
>im not sure if there is one)
Hot meme
>>
>>64905918
The take off part is especially ridiculous

Make it so that the shields are still working instead of that retarded shit
>>
>>64904669
when JJ is on his deathbed it will be a good day.
>>
>>64905952
this
>>
>>64904718

And why is Maz Memenata not outrageously mad at Han for bringing the Falcon there and basically dooming everyone in that stupid castle
>>
>>64905383

And why did those TIE fighters shot down the QWOD JUMPAH before they could reach it but they never shot the Millenium Falcon?
>>
>>64905451

>the prequels were the actual films

This is true. Even if flawed and severely bad, Lucas TRIED to make a film first, then sell all the merchandise based on it, even if he doesnt have any talent at all.

JJ didnt try to make a film in TFA. It was just a Disney scheme, an excuse to make "something" that had a minimum sense just to sell all the merchandise and toys to quickly cash in the money lost with the purchase of the franchise
>>
>>64905952

He has earned it himself.

I hope he and his friend Kojima both get anal cancer.
>>
>>64905451
>>64906422
this 100%
>>
>>64905383
The movie goes out of its way to show Han was the best pilot by far. Did you just miss the sequence of him jumping out of hyperspace behind the FO's shields?
>>
>>64904669
What do you expect?

JJ had to create a bigger Deathstar, an older Jedi scholar and a Apprentice more powerful than Sheev and Yoda combined.
>>
>>64906422
>Lucas TRIED to make a film first
meesa no thinkin yoosa rememberin some tings
>>
>>64906422
they werent severely bad, but yeah i get it
>>
>>64905916
except she doesn't. the only thing she's more knowledgeable about on the Falcon than Han is the modifications done on it since it was stolen.

also according to rey she's flown ships but never left the planet
>>
File: da phuc.jpg (122 KB, 602x655) Image search: [Google]
da phuc.jpg
122 KB, 602x655

stopped reading there.
>>
File: savage.jpg (139 KB, 800x432) Image search: [Google]
savage.jpg
139 KB, 800x432
>>64906422
>>
>>64905801
>it was already pretty slow

wat?

This movie was tailor made for the ADHD generation.
>>
>>64906613

The thing is, even if this was his goal, he failed miserably at not making everything look like shit and like a hack job.

Here are some easy ways of doing it :

>Making a bigger Death Star

It's a carved out weapon on Ilum, a planet very relevant to the jedi. It doesnt shoot a giant laser, it works by manipulating the force. It is an ancient weapon, the FO did not build it. It gets captured at the end of TFA, not destroyed.

>Older jedi scholar.

First, Maz Kanata did not need to exist as a character, or look like a minion. If she still did, she could in fact have been friends with Luke and of a force-sensitive species (an already existing one, not another new one)

>Rey more powerful than Sheev and Yoda

This could have been fine had Rey had some personality and was more likeable or relatable. The problem with Rey is the character development (0) and the casting choice, which is also terrible
>>
>>64906765
le glib facsimile
>>
>>64905902
When evading Phasma she pulls off all kinds of crazy maneuverers. All without a copilot.
>>
File: FirstOrderRequitmentline.jpg (50 KB, 769x511) Image search: [Google]
FirstOrderRequitmentline.jpg
50 KB, 769x511
>>64905918
They use the force.
>>
File: glib facsimile.png (224 KB, 1106x657) Image search: [Google]
glib facsimile.png
224 KB, 1106x657
>>64906838
gotcha
>>
>>64905285
Imperial generals mocked Vader for the force despite having probably seen it through Vader and the entirety of the Clone Wars. They were old enough. And why wouldn't they mock it? Dudes were like "yeah they had all their mind tricks and lightsabers and force pushes and where are they now? DEAD. The force ain't stopping shit." Everyone knows. The Jedi played a prominent role in the wars which took place all over the Galaxy. And I haven't even pulled from TFA or the PT to assert that.
>>
>>64906594

Than only conveys the sensation that TFA is a hack job.

Han can realistically be the best pilot, but getting around the laws of physics of its fictional universe is not in his power.

It would have made more sense if they smuggled the main characters inside Starkiller posing as a transport delivering goods or materials to the base.

Also notice how no goon is harmed when all the exhaust fumes and energy push them back when the falcon enters hyperspace from a hangar.
>>
>>64906886
>the laws of physics of its fictional universe

How the fuck do you know what the laws of physics in this fictional universe are? The makes just showed you that this is possible, therefore it's possible.
>>
>>64906862
>John Williams is perfect
>it's actually probably the best Star Wars yet

These are the people that thought this movie was great. They were either victims of the hype machine or they have no business reviewing movies.
>>
>>64906854
dat indian girl
HNNG to the max
>>
>>64907038
>when I disagree with something it must be because they're hacks
>>
>>64906862
>probably objectively the best Star Wars yet
>Glib memecimile
>it's classicist in the way of a weel-excecuted neo-soul record, crackling with familiarity without bowing to the altar of history

Jesus Fucking Christ. Tell me this image has been altered
>>
I actually respect JJ , he proved he was able to direct a grade A money-grabbing flick , devoid of any substance and plot.
What is the style of this sequel? What are people going to remember from it? People remember lots of things from the prequels and the OT because they were full of substance and purpose , each scene had a strict pattern that followed in the series they were inserted. In TFA we have a bunch of references molded together into a carnal ball of a plot. There is no style or anything that defines the movie.
>>
>>64907113
Not even staged senpai, I just went on RT and took a screen of the glib facsimile post without paying attention to the others
>>
File: larryfaint.gif (823 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
larryfaint.gif
823 KB, 200x200
>>64907182
If it wasn't already film criticism is worthless. Seriously, more than ever, with the Internet when everyone has a voice, never has there been a better time to listen to no one.
>>
>>64907217
Just like game criticism where you can't give any note lower than 6 even if the game is total dogshit
>>
>>64907282
Game criticism is even worse. It's been dictated by developed dollars for years. Gertsman getting sacked was the sign everyone should have heeded but no one listened. Glad Gamespot died but IGN needs to as well. Games journalism is absolute filth filled with shills with zero integrity.
>>
>>64907165
>blaster shot stopped mid-air
>han dying
>Maz' bar
>stormtrooper deserting
>anything with BB-8
>'it is I, C3PO'
>poe/finn bromance
>best lightsaber battle to date
>believable and relatable female lead
>Starkiller Base interior was insanely beautiful
>han hyperspacing through the shields
>Rey piloting the Millenium Falcon shaking off the TIE fighters
>traitor
>competent stormtroopers
>kylo ren struggling with the light side of the force

I remember more about TFA than about ANH. The only thing that redeemed ANH was its sequels. It was fine for its time, but ANH for today's standards is sub-par.
>>
>>64906677

Jar Jar was a cool concept because he was indeed supposed to be the new main villain in disguise.

Lucas opend his ass to the fans outrage and changed this at the last moment.
>>
>>64906969

They are already established in the rest of the films and media.

It's called internal consistency. Even if something is wacky it should be consistent with what that universe has already established, otherwise it's just a fuck you to everything and everyone.
>>
File: 74d.jpg (21 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
74d.jpg
21 KB, 600x600
>>64907380
>>
>>64904669
You're a nigger. So what?
>>
>>64907380
>I remember more about TFA than about ANH. The only thing that redeemed ANH was its sequels. It was fine for its time, but ANH for today's standards is sub-par.

Absolute retard.
>>
>>64907113

Objectively it's one of the worst
>>
>>64907380
>sunrise in tatooine
>the cantina
>the millenium falcon's anti-air
>infiltration in the star destroyer
>the trench run
I could go on but you probably wont remember because you werent born back then kiddo
Also reddit is that way
>>
>>64905117
Hold the fuck up nigger. link to full movie
>>
>>64907165
Han's death?
>>
>>64907452
Objectively it's far better than two of the prequels, comparable in quality to another, way behind one of the originals and far, far worse than two of them.
>>
>>64907109
There are reasons to like this movie. Many people clearly do.

But saying the score was perfect is just fucking retarded and probably the opinion of someone who decided he was going to like the movie before he saw it
>>
>>64907492
Don't even entertain such a shitty troll. Just call them faggot or retard and move on, mate.
>>
>>64907533

I think it's on the same level with Phantom Menace for different reasons.
>>
>>64905228
>so much detail is left to the side material that only autists read

Because only autists care
>>
>>64907546
The only redeeming factor from TFA is kylo ren , and EVEN his character is an obvious throwback to the prequels
>>
>>64904669

Yoda

>Wars not make one great.

>Do, or do not. There is no try.

>Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings
are we, not this crude matter.

MAZ

>DUUUUDEEE CLOSSEEE UR EYEESSS AN U CAN FEEEL THE FORRCEE MAAANNN
>>
>>64907380
Terrific bait.
>>
>>64907492
Not him but ANH has been a cult movie for decades and everyone saw it multiple times. Of course you gonna remember more of it. It doesn't really say anything about TFA's quality.
>>
File: bugsbunny.gif (553 KB, 500x214) Image search: [Google]
bugsbunny.gif
553 KB, 500x214
>>64905451
>>
File: baitstop.jpg (77 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baitstop.jpg
77 KB, 625x626
>>64907640
>ANH
>Cult movie

Weak as fuck
>>
>>64907596
I liked BB-8.

He was cute and brought natural humour to the movie unlike the contrived quips and pandering that plagued the rest of the movie.
>>
>>64907640
My point is that after watching decades of Star Wars , TFA was supposed to open the sequel with a brand new style , not throwing back each 5 minutes to an epic reference to the OT. Its weary and doesn't have any cinematic effect other than keeping yolo swag retards behind the screen buying merchandising.
>>
>>64907708
BB-8 isn't original , he's obviously R2-D2 with a little more budget and with a modern mindset
>>
>>64907492
No I definitely wasn't born in the 70's. If you were you are retarded for even spending your time here.

Also
>sunrise in tatooine
Is literally the only thing ANH did better than TFA. The biggest thing is that the characters in ANH were so one-dimensional it isn't even watchable anymore. For a movie that's supposed to be about the characters and interpersonal relationships it was horrible. It's good in retrospect with the sequels, but on its own it's just a mess.
>Luke
good guy, never anything different, only good
>Leia
stuck up princess bitch
>Han
2cool4u

Now you have Finn who lied his way through all sorts of shit just for his own egotistical reasons and Rey who is so hung up on her past that she puts the entire mission in danger just for her naive belief that her parents will come back to her.
>>
>>64904669
You idiot, the Jedi train people that are ALREADY force sensitive. Obviously she is but never wanted to be a jedi
>>
File: sheevcuck2.jpg (17 KB, 268x284) Image search: [Google]
sheevcuck2.jpg
17 KB, 268x284
>>64907781
>he's serious
>>
>>64905797
It's from a visual effects breakdown video, a thread was posted yesterday and people made webm's

https://vimeo.com/151719063
>>
>>64907819
>I have no argument
ANH was a shitty movie on its own. Might even be worse than TPM.
>>
>>64907781
Post your birth certificate then fagg0t
>>
she really felt like a disney/pixar character in a film where that didnt belong
>>
>>64907781
You must be over 18 to post here.
>>
>>64907734
>TFA was supposed to open the sequel with a brand new style
Says who? All people wanted after the prequels if give them movies that are actually like the OT.
And they needed to bridge the OT with the new sequels.

No excuse to have yet another Death Star though.
>>
>>64907923
Check your math.
>>
>>64907939
I don't think the plebs wanted anything other than more star wars lightsabers viowwwww pew pew anon

The target audience for this movie clearly was the capeshit enthusiasts
>>
>>64907872
Okay you aren't serious and are just stirring shit, good to clear that up
>>
>>64907971
>I don't think the plebs wanted anything other than more star wars lightsabers viowwwww pew pew anon
That would be the prequels.
>>
>>64907995
And TFA
>>
>>64905370
Rots was pure cinema you filthy casual
>>
>>64907962
Check your brain if you're posting those opinion and are over 18.
>>
>>64907982
Nope. I'm completely serious.
>>
>>64904669
I liked her. Then again I'm a patrician, so I could see why you're not a fan.
>>
>>64907631
Maz is literally leftist art teacher
>>
>>64908079
>>64908080
The infamous punctuation shitposting gang
>>
>>64908023
TFA is mostly character-driven.
It didn't have long drawn out lightsaber fights between people I don't care about that had no real emotional investment in the fight.
>>
>>64907872
>ANH was a shitty movie on its own

This very very much. Quality jumps between ANH and ESB
>>
>>64908286
Still better than RotJ or any of the prequels.
>>
>>64908310
ESB is the only good movie, and yet it is pointless on its own

Rest is just fun with samurais in space, stop treating it seriously guys
>>
>>64908173
So you just watched the RLM review huh champ. It's amazing what they ripped on the last star trek movie for they let pass in this new Abrams shitfest
>>
What sort of bugged me was her having Anakin/Luke's old saber. I mean, Luke dropped his saber off of Cloud City. What is even worse is "how I got it is a long story," which boils down to "we don't know how she got it, lol!"
>>
>>64908357
What are you on about?
Do you need an RLM review to tell you that you don't care about people like Darth Maul, who I don't even remember having a single line in the movie?
>>
>>64904777
>Rey's reaction is pretty underwhelming, too
That's just the shitty acting.
>>
File: 75105-PackShot.jpg (385 KB, 1224x668) Image search: [Google]
75105-PackShot.jpg
385 KB, 1224x668
>>64905117

The awkward movement of the Millennium Falcon is a metaphor of a child playing with her Star Wars toys, on a carpet littered with discarded Star Wars merch.
>>
>>64907872
ANH is like evangelion in that it doesn't seem like anything special now but at the time it was completely revolutionary.
>>
If she hates the FO so much why does she have a castle filled with villains?
>>
>>64904669
Will Maz ever get the Chewy dick?
>>
>>64904669
itt foetusfags who don't know who Maria Ouspenskaya is
>>
>>64908526
Yeah what other space adventures did people have at the time? Fucking Flash Gordon?

>like evangelion
You had Gunbuster
>>
Disney wanted a cantina scene and a wise mentor. Mixing them was a horrible idea and probably the biggest blunder in TFA.

Its hilarious that she just vanishes.
>>
>>64905029
At the point just use a fucking real person.
>>
>>64908831
The blunder was making the movie at all.
>>
>>64904669
>>
>>64908885
They had to make it before the old cast completely dies off
>>
>>64908910
>they had to make it
*tips coin purse*
>>
>>64905642
>revenge is objectively a great film
Maybe if you look at it as a campy SW parody.
>>
>>64908910
>they had to make it
>>
>>64904669
She was supposed to be the leader of notSandpeople on Jakku. Could've been good desu.
>>
>>64908938
Let's not pretend the other Star Wars movies were indie arthouse cinema.
>>
i enjoyed tfa for the most part, but i agree. this orange cgi character annoyed the fuck out of me. hope rian johnson doesn't use it
>>
Don't forget

>Where is my boyfriend? Where is Chewbacca?
>>
>>64909150
Well at least that makes one person who cared about poor Chewie
>Han dies
>they come back from the mission
>Leia instantly goes to comfort Rey (???)
>nobody gives a fuck about Chewie
>>
>>64909202
thats okay because chewie didnt seem to give a fuck anyway, he was smiling in the next scene where he was in the falcon with rey
>>
>>64909232
Bravo jewjew
>>
>>64906876
>the entirety of the Clone Wars
Too bad the OT was made before Lucas went fullretard with the prequels and ruined his own story.
>>
>>64908526
That's why I said 'it was fine for its time', but that it doesn't hold up to today's standards
>>
>>64909232
Yeah, it was a good idea letting JJ handle such an important character's death, he really nailed the emotion we and the characters should feel after losing a companion and beloved character we've known for 3 decades now.

Fucking Jews have no clue of human emotion beyond its place in a formula for sales
>>
File: 1430896181563.png (1 MB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1430896181563.png
1 MB, 600x900
>>64909297
>but that it doesn't hold up to today's standards

What you mean against great masterpieces like TFA and Star trek 2009?
>>
>>64909329
>Fucking Jews have no clue of human emotion
This.
They gave up empathy for shrewdness.
>>
>>64905753
having lupita do the voice seemed like a way to shoehorn her name into the credits. why not frank oz? fan service!
>>
>I need a weapon!
>YOU -HAVE- ONE!
>>
File: this is the future you chose.jpg (18 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
this is the future you chose.jpg
18 KB, 1280x720
>>64909379
>no color filter
>not a single lens flare

It just doesn't hold up m8
>>
>>64909329
It had more emotion than the prequels.
>>
File: hammer.jpg~c200.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
hammer.jpg~c200.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>64906765
>>
>>64909453
Mainly because the emotion was in relation to beloved characters we know well and enjoy. Also fuck off JJ I didn't say shit about the prequals so don't you bring them up
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 392x414) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 392x414
>>64909453
>>
>>64909453
1$ has been deposited into your bank account

keep up the good work agent #46128
>>
>>64906862
the worst thing about those blurbs is that they're doing it for free. at least a shill gets paid
>>
>>64909202
what if Rey is her daughter?
>>
>>64909578
SUBTLE FORESHADOWING

Doesn't excuse the fact that not a single person tries to comfort Chewie, or that the movie does not even acknowledge him at all
>>
>>64909508
>Mainly because the emotion was in relation to beloved characters we know well and enjoy.
The prequels had that too.
Also, I care more about the newly introduced characters in TFA, than the ones in the prequels - even Rey. (Maz was fucking shit though).

>I didn't say shit about the prequals so don't you bring them up
So? People here still kinda pretend the prequels weren't heavily commercialized and just complain about JJ and Disney's jewishness while forgetting the original Jew.
>>
>>64909678
Prequals prequals prequals, suck my cock you Bolshevik. The post you chose to respond to, my post, had nothing to do with the prequals and yet here you are still using them as a crutch. They had their crippling flaws and so does this you apologist. And Rey and Finn were trash characters too
>>
>>64909678
>So? People here still kinda pretend the prequels weren't heavily commercialized
They weren't.

Lucas isn't jewish.
>>
>>64909768
Were you like 5 when the prequels were released?
>>
You are now aware that of 4chan existed when you were children.

You would hate all of star wars.
>>
>>64909896
nice incoherent shitpost
>>
>>64909453

it actually might have had less

qui gon dying was actually quite an emotional moment, at least obi and he were established as friends, and we got the sense they cared about each other

nobody in FA even has a character, nothing makes sense because we dont actually learn anything about their characters, they dont even bother with the film making 101 scene were ray gives some rations to a hungry child, or Fin helps some civilians escape
>>
>>64909896
"no"
>>
>>64907923
just realized that someone who was a kid when the prequels came out is way over 18 now
>>
>>64909896
What?
>>
>>64909960
I was 4

20 now

Fun fact: people born after 9/11 are now of legaal age!
>>
>>64909944
Are you fucking kidding me?
The one interesting thing about Qui Gon was that he was played by Neeson.
And Obi-Wan was visible angry for a few seconds and then it was business as usual.

And you seriously complain about lack of character in TFA while praising fucking TPM of all things?
>>
>>64909927

Only had 1 auto correct, of=if.

This board is absolutely contrarian.
I only come here to see what people have to say after relatively good movie releases.

I have yet to see /tv/ like a movie.

The only thing this board does, is kill the magic and fun of movies.
>>
>>64910010
get off 4chan while there's still time, anon
>>
>>64904669
>>Character written in one minute on knee
That literally describes all of the new characters on TFA, and that is just what JewJew is capable of. You CANNOT expect a hack to deliver something original and good.
>>
>>64910048
>And Obi-Wan was visible angry for a few seconds and then it was business as usual.
oh god go back to reddit

>a Star Wars flick went over my head
>>
>>64910056
/tv/ liked Dredd
Even though it was just an action flick and technically capeshit.
>>
>>64910056
>contrarian
tourist pls

Also, authentic /tv/ likes lots of movies.
>>
>>64910056
>I have yet to see /tv/ like a movie

You have to be baiting

Just this year I can name Brooklyn, Sicario and Mad Max despite some heavy shitposting
>>
>>64910090
Come on, you can do better bait than that.

It's no fun when you're not even trying.
>>
>>64910048

>le quoting le plinkett

i know how shit the prequels are, but despite that they at do manage a more resonant moment than FA

the problem is nothing is established and everything is rushed around bullshit action scenes, we dont know kylo, or old han, or rey or finn, so nothing they do has any impact

at least we kind of know qui gon and obi, and we know they are super special buddies
>>
>>64910123
Discussing Mad Max on /tv/ was fucking impossible thanks to /pol/
>>
>>64910126
It's not bait tho

Obi CLEARLY fights more aggressively after the shield wall comes down.
>>
why did George Lucas sell his kids?
>>
>>64910165
more like Jorge Miller is a pandering faggot
>>
>>64910151
What?
We know way more about Kylo than fucking Qui Gon, unless you mean the very beginning.
>>
>>64910101
>>64910119

Basically every board has a tier list of things they enjoy or think are good

Guns, anime, mech, cars, motocycles, camera, technology, etc.

Where is /tv/'s?
>>
>>64910201
billions and billions of dollars
>>
>>64910213
You would know if you weren't a tourist.
>>
>>64904669
lol you guys are so tryhard about hating this movie
>>
>>64910213
Fresh off the boat from reddit I see
>>
>>64910209

lol what, at no point do we learn anything about kylo, he barely even speaks. we get the MUST KILL MY FATHER QQ scene, but its pointless if we havent already had interactions between han and kylo, because from our point of view this is the first time they meet.

at least we can extrapolate that qui gon is a good teacher and a good friend to obi, which gives his death at least some impact
>>
>>64907380
you forgot all the action on the falcon after Han picked them up and the pirates boarded it.
>>
>>64910253

The bullshit lack of depth topics don't exactly warrant being a norm to the board.

What benifit does being a regular give? Other than becoming a cynical person who can't enjoy movies?

What factual knowledge does being a regular provide?

My regular boards are /k/, /g/, and /o/.
Here, the longer you stay, the greater your factual knowledge grows.

Opinion=/=fact.
So by nature, this board is full of non-substantive bickering.
>>
>>64907708
>>64907766
doesn't make him bad that he's not original.

I'm told early concept art for R2 had a similar design as BB8, they just couldn't make that in the 70's on their budget.
>>
>>64910288
You know that Kylo and Han are so estranged that he looks to this grandfather, he only knows from legend, as a role model so much that he fetishizes his mask. You know he's really quite weak and struggling with his life but is desperate to appear as strong as Vader.

What do you know Qui Gon? Fucking nothing except his job description.

>at least we can extrapolate that qui gon is a good teacher
We can't.
>and a good friend to obi
What does that say about his character?
>>
>>64910399
Just stick to Star Trek threads.
/tv/ turned to so much shit that I'd even prefer the times of Avatar and bots.
>>
>>64910487

yah i know, i've watched plinkett too

the point is that an emotive killing isn't emotive if the characters haven't met up until that point, you need to establish these things instead of just explaining them through exposition and 1 second shots of vaders lel so twisted creepy mask
>>
File: dkQg15t.jpg (117 KB, 522x695) Image search: [Google]
dkQg15t.jpg
117 KB, 522x695
>>64910399

This board is the national enquirer of the shelf.

The movie equivelent of a bunch of neckbeards "2/10ing would not bang" in a facsimile attempt to "criticize" entertainment.

Criticizing does making you a critic automatically.
>>
>>64910608
It's literally ANH pottery, retard.
It's modelled after Obi-Wan's death, they never met on-screen before either.
>>
File: sheevshock.webm (1 MB, 1274x1080) Image search: [Google]
sheevshock.webm
1 MB, 1274x1080
>>64910675
>pottery

That's just insulting the master

Copypasta is a more fitting term
>>
>>64910675
And the emotion in that scene is related to how Obi's death affects Luke, a character he's been around since the first 10 minutes. Meanwhile ren and Han's scene lacks any such emotional connection for us to care about
>>
>>64910806
What you think it would have been better if Han ghost appears afterwards to guide Rey?
The confrontation in ANH was fantastic despite, not because, what happened afterwards.
>>
>>64910877
>despite, not because

Okay you lost me, nothing before or after it cheapens it like you seem to think.Besides Han died right at the end of the movie and its shitty because of literally everything about it, before, during, and after the scene. Especially how blithe chewie is after his friend of 4 decades dying
>>
>>64910877
>Han ghost

Fuck that would trigger me so hard
>>
>>64905451
>before tfa comes out people shit all over the prequels for bad dialog and cringe inducing acting
>tfa comes out and all of a sudden prequels are goat star wars movies and everything tfa should be

Fuck this board. You fucking faggots can't enjoy shit on here without over analyzing every scene like a bunch of fucking autists. This is the only place where this movie is hated. It has a 93 percent rating on rotten tomatoes. 81 percent on metacritic. But here its more like 40 percent. I even see some faggots unironically calling it the worst movie of 2015. I'm fucking done with this contain as fuck, have to hate everything popular, wank off fest this board has become. Fuck /tv/
>>
>>64910969
What are you even talking about now
Didn't you originally argue about knowing nothing about Kylo's character? What you're arguing now has absolutely nothing to do with it.
>>
>>64911008
why so angry disney marketer

you should be happy people are discussing you're latest cash grab
>>
>>64911008
/tv/ hated the fuck out of the movie before it was even out because baww disney and sjw
>>
>>64905902
she does crazier shit in atmosphere than han ever did in space
>>
>>64904669
That is code talk for "I'm a sneaky sith".
Who wants to bet that this is actually Jar Jar, but he's using some bullshit force super power to possess multiple bodies across the galaxy, or can just change his appearance.
>>
The most beautifulest woman in the world did motion capture for it.
It's a great character you bigot.
>>
>>64911133
Remember this goddess is also black

Fucking racists I swear
>>
>>64904897
Think how many bothans died, to retrieve that light saber from the pits of Cloud City, or more likely from the depths of the gas giant it flies above.
>>
>>64904669
>>"Im not Jedi but I know about the force" This is the worst bullshit ever

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Why would everyone with a high midichlorian count automatically sign up to be a Jedi?

Some would not want to sign up for all the rules Jedi have to live by.
>>
>>64904669
The biggest flaw is that it makes no fucking sense that she owns a seedy bar. None. We're told she's an 'acquired taste' but she seems quite pleasant, and both Finn and Rey seem to acquire it quickly. Not to mention she literally explains/solves Rey and Finn's character pathways in a short couple of minutes. In fact everything about this sequence was pretty poor.
>>
>>64911008
Actually I ran a poll yesterday and it was something like 60% in favor, with half the dissenting in the "I don't like it because /tv/ expects me to" category.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-15-11-38-09.png (122 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-15-11-38-09.png
122 KB, 480x800
>>64911857
Proofs

http://strawpoll.me/6527932/r

Here's what it looked like when I found it before someone bombs it just to prove me wrong .
>>
>>64912010
>those poll choices

are you serious
>>
>>64911703
She could be an "acquired taste" to Han, who tends to deserve his ill treatment by other characters.
>>
Maz and Snoke are my least favorite part of the movie because everyone knows them and no one explains why. Why should Leia and Han know about how powerful and evil Snoke is, but he's presented in every scene like this mysterious being? I liked the movie OK but Abrams was and is a terrible choice.
>>
>>64906422
star wars was made to sell toys and stuff since 1977
>>
>>64907781
So funny how no one in the thread have a counter argument.

I wanna see someone that can atack his arguments not his person.
>>
>>64909768
So much to learn about life, you have.
>>
>>64912637
Here you go.

Just because TFA characters are more complex on paper does not make them better characters.
Rey has no clear motivation throughout the film. We're told she wants to stay on Jakku for her family, but she never makes a meaningful action towards that end; her decision is made for her by the plot when Finn comes along. There's a momentary lip service paid to the idea when Han offers her a job, but it doesn't feel significant nor is it impactful to the plot, it comes after she's already left Jakku, and seems intent on delivering the droid to the Resistance.
Without getting into the Mary Sue discussion, Rey also has no major flaws. She learns all of her force abilities quickly and seemingly without significant effort. Her final victory over Kylo does not feel anywhere near as satisfying as it should, in fact Kylo seems to be more of an underdog than her.
That's not even mentioning Rey's fandom of every single character from the OT. Not only does it not make much sense considering her background, but it reads like she is a Star Wars superfan who got cast in Star Wars who then gets to meet all the cast from the originals. It doesn't feel organic.

Let's compare to Luke. Luke follows a simple, Cambellian journey, but it is well structured and hits all the right emotional beats. He craves adventure and excitement, but refuses Ben's offer due to his feeling of responsibility to help Owen and Beru. Their deaths provide the final kick to push him to accept Ben's offer. However along the way Luke is not confident in his abilities, struggling to grasp the ways of the force and relies on Han to help him through the Deathstar. He finally triumphs in the Death Star assault when everyone is counting on him, finding the force and saving the day at the last minute, becoming a hero at last.
>>
>>64907781
Nobody even tries to refute these points, they just post meme faces like they are an act of total refutation.
>>
>>64910201
just like Reys parents sold her
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.