[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that The Hobbit trilogy is just as bad as Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 29
Can we all agree that The Hobbit trilogy is just as bad as Star Wars prequels?
>>
I can get behind that.
Especially the last one. God was that whole thing awful.
>>
>>64855552
Nah, Unexpected Journey is decent enough, so at least it has one movie in the trilogy worth watching. I can't help but think The Hobbit should have only been one movie, which I know a lot of people think, but I can't understand the decision to drag it out so much.
>>
was there any redeeming qualities in the extended editions?
>>
>>64855620
Two was fine. The Hobbit book may be thin, but it's got shit happening all the time. 1 movie would have been a mess with every one just rushing through the plot.
>>
>>64855552

No, they were terrible because the tone was all over the damn place and the plot was garbage, but there was real talent at play, some good acting, and some well executed live action stuff, there was literally nothing but POTTERY for the prequels.
>>
First was right.
Second had it moments, but the river scene alone really brings it down.
Third is a mess from start to finish.
>>
>>64855552
Radagast is
confirmed for senator Binks
>>
>>64855552
I thought all of the LotR movies were boring garbage. I still haven't seen The Hobbit trilogy because it is probably just as boring if not worse. Peter Jackson use to make fun movies. WTF happened?
>>
the last one was definitely shit

there's no defending that
>>
File: peterjackson.png (276 KB, 600x292) Image search: [Google]
peterjackson.png
276 KB, 600x292
>>64855552
Just sit in the chair, with your coffee, and watch those monitors. 'cause if you don't gotta get up, it makes it easier.
>>
>>64855552
its worse
>>
>>64855552

God no, I'm not a particular fan of the prequels but the Hobbit trilogy is just absolute torture. It really is on a completely different level of garbage.
>>
File: knkg17b.jpg (121 KB, 640x862) Image search: [Google]
knkg17b.jpg
121 KB, 640x862
>>64855690

This happened.
You Just know
>>
>>64855666
Two movies probably would have been fine, one book for the journey to Smaug, one for the Battle of the Five Armies, appendices, and lead in to LotR.

Two movies may have solved the pacing issues, but it wouldn't fix the awful CGI, bloom, and poor directing overall
>>
Not sure about the first two but Battle of Five Armies definitely is.
It even has its own Jar Jar by the name of Alfrid.
I was shocked how bad it was.
>>
>>64855666

If it stuck close to the book, didn't try to explain shit that Gandalf did everytime he disappeared, they could've made it one movie. Wouldn't have been a great movie, but it probably would've been better than what we got,

Two films would've been perfect. Also a little less pottery.
>>
>>64855705
Don't kid yourself. Nothing is worse than the prequels. The hobbit movies at least have salvageable scenes that can be saved by a fan edit. There is nothing anyone can do to save Lucas' bowel movement.
>>
>>64855768
No, that only could have been fixed by the studio by giving the crew another year worth of time after PJ took over.
>>
>>64855552
The Tolkein Edit (fanedit) is great.
It cuts out all the elf shit, barrel shit... Bilbo actually feels like the main character.

It tells the whole Hobbit story in under 4 hours.
Genius.
>>
>>64855722

You're just bad at watching movies
>>
>>64855836

>he didn't like the barrels
>>
It is much worse and I'm not even a prequel fanboy.
The Hobbit was just so forgettable. It doesn't even have any meme material.
>>
>>64855552
It is worse
>>
>>64855552

Worse. The prequels are beautiful to look at.

The prequels are full of passion, and you can see the visual artistry behind loads of things, and organically leads into the OT.

The Hobbit is greed at it's very worst, trying it's hardest to be a LOTR despite itself. A charming children's book is defaced with studio/focus-testing interests.

The trilogy is one movie too long, all but 3 of the Dwarves are irrelevant, Bilbo is a side character in his own movie, Legolas is shoe-horned into the movie, to say nothing of Toriel.

I'm not going to continue ranting about this. The LOTR movies were already unfaithful to the books, but the Hobbit trilogy was unfaithful to the spirit of Tolkien's work.

At least George is creating his own planets/sequences/species/stories. Hackson is piggy-backing off of the work of a far greater man.

He should have stuck to making movies like Meet the Feebles.
>>
Mediocre is always worse than bad. I'd take a bad movie over another one of these formulaic, safe, "nothing" movies any day.
>>
>>64855552
Worse.
>>
>>64855552
Prequels can be enjoyed, Hobbit can't.
>>
File: latest.png (1 MB, 1345x816) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
1 MB, 1345x816
>>64856103
>The prequels are beautiful to look at.
>>
>>64856103

The dwarves were even more irrelevant in the book.
>>
>>64855643
No, it was even worse.
>>
The third one was worse than either of the prequels
>>
>>64856198

That chicken-thing represents how Jedi like Obi-Wan are attuned to the force, and prefer a living mount.

Grievous' mono-bike represents his cyborg nature, and reliance on technology.
>>
This is a stupid meme. The hobbit movies have their flaws, sure. But the star wars prequels are so flawed on so many levels that its not a fair comparison. The hobbit movies have decent acting, likeable characters and a handful of sequences equal to the LOTR films. Outside of Darth maul, Sheev and the score the Star Wars prequels are void of anything good at all.
>>
>>64856207

Only because we get cringey garbage like the barrel sequence, and the dwarves getting a platform gaming sequence to douse Smaug in liquid gold.

The Dwarves don't get a chance to shine as characters, because scenes like Beorn's lodge/introduction are glossed over.
>>
>>64855768
>bloom
holy shit that annoyed me so fucking much
what was going on inside Peters head?
>>
how the fuck do you take half a billion dollars and make a worse adaptation than an hour and fifteen minute cartoon animated by north korean slaves
>>
>>64855643
More material for someone to try and make a watchable fanedit out of the movies.
>>
>>64855552
Not even close. I liked 1 and 2 Hobbits, 3rd was shit.

I liked Ep. 3, 1 and 2 was shit.

See ? Complete opposite.
>>
>>64856335
So are you saying revenge of the sith is better than battle of the five armies?
>>
Dude, hobbit trilogy was way worse than prequels

At least the prequels are enjoyable and you probably even rewatched them a few times. Have you honestly ever rewatched any of the hobbit films?

The only part that is really good is the beginning of hobbit 1 where they tell the story of erebor and smaug. It literally felt like I was watching lotr tier
>>
>>64855552
AUJ is ROTS tier
TDOS is TPM tier
TBOFA is AOTC tier
>>
File: fuck you and your gold.webm (3 MB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
fuck you and your gold.webm
3 MB, 638x360
Fuck you
>>
>>64856412
>At least the prequels are enjoyable
try watching them NOW. Theyve aged like milk
>>
>>64856447
Does he have autism?
>>
>>64856374

the actual battles in five armies are boring and bloated
>>
>>64856447
why is this so fucking good
>>
Why you guys hate Lotr??
Those are pretty solid flicks imho
>>
>>64855552
The first one was alright. The other two..yyeesh.
>>
>>64855552
No. They're all fine.
>>
>>64856448
Not that anon, but I rewatched them recently (before TFA came out) and still enjoyed most of them. Sure they suck, but I can still watch them and enjoy them while recognizing they aren't great.
With Hobbit, I almost wanted to leave the theatre and I don't feel like rewatching them ever again.
>>
>>64856447
I thought I was watching a snuff film for a second
>>
>>64855552
I actually liked the first two movies and I liked how they made the other dwarves have more personality and uniqueness from their book counterparts. Though I do think it was dragged out too long and the last movie was the worst of it.

The last one was where they really ran out of material and had to pad it out unnecessarily and you could tell. With the first two the expansions felt more natural and built the world and characters up nicely.
>>
>>64856533
The opening Smaug attack of the town was good, and also the final fight with Thorin and the Pale orc. The main battle did go on too long and was largely incomprehensible. Its an ok movie
>>
They mentioned the necromancer once in the book and I think it was only in later editions. That plot wasn't necessary. I'd rather watch Lucas rape the OT with the prequels than Jackson rape my favorite childhood book.
>>
>>64855620
Unexpected Journey was the least ugly and had the best atmosphere, but watching the movie is like listening to treebeard talk.
>>
>>64856578
Whatever man. If you acknowledge that the star wars prequels are bad I dont get why you still enjoy/watch them.
>>
>>64856374
Of course. Battle of the five armies is absolute garbage.
>>
>>64856448

Not that guy, but Episode 2 is the only one I would say is like that. Both 1 and 3 are plenty enjoyable. Having a half-baked romance as the main plot thread was an even bigger mistake than anything else the Prequels did.
>>
>>64856707
I watched episode II recently. It's really only the first 30 minutes or so that is a chore. It picks up a lot once Obi-Wan becomes a space detective and has to track down Jango.
>>
>>64856707
I tried to rewatch phantom menace a few years ago. It was so boring and terrible that I ended up fast forwarding though half of it, I hate that fucking movie. No reason to ever try and watch it again
>>
File: i am become pottery.jpg (55 KB, 437x322) Image search: [Google]
i am become pottery.jpg
55 KB, 437x322
>Go north. Find the Dunedain. There’s a young ranger amongst them. You should meet him. His father Arathorn was a good friend. His son might grow to be a great one. He is known in the wild as Strider. His true name... you must discover for yourself. Legolas! Your mother loved you.
>>
>>64856761
I only skip the pod racing every time.
>>
File: 1446284050400.gif (2 MB, 438x363) Image search: [Google]
1446284050400.gif
2 MB, 438x363
>>64855552
I think The Hobbit movies are even worse.
SW prequels have a lot of flaws but also some good and fun points. There are no redeeming features at all in the mess The Hobbit turned out to be.
But yes, they're pretty comparable:

-Prequels of blockbuster trilogies that are geeks and nerds top choice but also loved by the rest of the public; soundtrack were half of the original movies, etc.
-Disappointing, full of CGI, constant use of chroma.
-People still pay for this shit because of nostalgia or inertia.
-Unnecessary "cameos" of old characters.
>>
>>64856103
i honestly can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not anymore
>>
File: very funny.jpg (28 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
very funny.jpg
28 KB, 720x404
>>64856776
Was that really in the movies cause oh man.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (249 KB, 611x815) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
249 KB, 611x815
>>64856776
>His father Arathorn was a good friend.
>>
>>64855740
Well they did use a lot of ILM tech at WETA during the Lord of the Rings trilogy, animatics being one of the big items. Pretty sure Peter Jackson even mentions Rick McCallum in the extended editions documentaries.
>>
File: char_63235.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_63235.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>>64856228
Why didn't Grevious make a Robot Chicken?
>>
>>64856781
>There are no redeeming features at all in the mess The Hobbit turned out to be
not true at all. Bilbo was good, Gandalf and Gollum were the same. Had some good music and costumes. Look I know we all think Force awakens was overrated as fuck but this defending the prequels meme is just stupid.
>>
File: kawaiispider.gif (1 MB, 231x161) Image search: [Google]
kawaiispider.gif
1 MB, 231x161
>which one is worse, hobbit or prequels
its like asking if watery shit is worse than dried shit

i don't know anon but i wouldn't recommend eating either of them
>>
>>64856776

This one line, more than anything else, ruined the final film for me.
>>
File: 1450762459516.jpg (47 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1450762459516.jpg
47 KB, 480x480
>>64856930
I think watery shit is worse on medical terms at least. Though honestly I'm not positive, though I imagine people dying from dysentery didn't have solid shits.
>>
In the hobbit movies they fight Orcs and a Dragon. In the star wars prequels they fight droids and clones. which sounds lamer?
>>
>>64856919
The prequels had Sheev, John Williams and some decent scenes. Episode III felt better than any Hobbit movie. Of course the prequels aren't good but they weren't as boring as The Hobbit.
I don't know, may be I feel like that because I watched the SW prequels and read The Hobbit being a kid.
>>
>>64855552
Eh sure.
I think I put PT at 5/10 and I think that is my opinion of the hobbit trilogy as well.

I do think PT is watchable, mostly thanks to world building, while the hobbit doesn't really do that for me.
>>
>>64856776
Aragorn was 9 when the battle of 5 armies happened
>>
>>64857020
>I don't know, may be I feel like that because I watched the SW prequels and read The Hobbit being a kid
This whole thread is just nostalgia. The star wars prequels are terrible, and everyone is judging the hobbit movies too harshly because they came out more recently
>>
>>64856958
Droids and clones sound lamer, but there are more to the movies than fighting.
>>
>>64857089
In the movie canon he was like 20
>>
>>64857167
The non action star wars prequel scenes are fucking awful, anon. Do you remember all those senate scenes? Or the queen's cartoonishly monotone voice?
>>
>>64855552
they are actually worse than the prequels
>>
>>64855552
>Studio meddling and poor creative decisions: the movie
>>
>>64855552

They're worse in my opinion.

When the prequels came out I was a kid and I was a bit of a fangirl.

The LotR trilogy is my all time favorite and the thought of going back got me really excited. And all I got was the worst trilogy of all time.

The only good part was Martin Freeman and he was in it less than Legolas.
>>
File: george-lucas-han-shot-first.jpg (98 KB, 346x566) Image search: [Google]
george-lucas-han-shot-first.jpg
98 KB, 346x566
>>64857212
Where as the prequels were one insane man making all the crappy decisions himself
>>
wait.. people think the prequels are actually bad? i..i thought that was just ironic posting..

surely people here realise the prequels are better than the OT and the abomination which is TFA?
>>
File: lenny carl.jpg (185 KB, 655x560) Image search: [Google]
lenny carl.jpg
185 KB, 655x560
>>64857226
>Hobbit trilogy
>worst trilogy of all time
its pleb city in this thread
>>
>>64857274

Name a worse one. Trilogy by the way, not just one or two movies in it, all three have to be bad.
>>
>>64857091
Nope. 5 armies is legit bad. Through unfortnate circumstances i have seen it 6 times and hated it every time. It just doesn't make any sense. The moment I noped out of it was Dain and his battle pig. After the was travesty that was Dain I gave up hope. They tried to make the movie too cool and didn't think if it made sense.

Stuff that bothered me:
The elves jumping over the dwarven phalanx
The battering ram troll
The dwarven Armor/weapons Designs
The Elven Armor/weapon designs
The troll with hooks in its eyes, flails for hands, and maces for feet.
Alfred
That shitty Aragorn reference
The shitty white council scenes
Lady Galdriel
The Assault on Dol Goldur
The CGI that looked old on opening night
Radagast the brown
Tauriel

Worth while parts:
Smaug
The Dragon Sickness scene in the gold floor room
Parts of the Thorin v Azog fight
Old Bilbo
>>
>>64857200
>Do you remember all those senate scenes? Or the queen's cartoonishly monotone voice?
What was so bad about that?
>>
>>64857190
Well the movie cannon is shit
>>
I'd say they're worse. The prequels started off bad but progressively got better. The Hobbit started off ok but ended with one of the most mediocre movies I've ever seen.
>>
>>64857293
well, star wars prequels aside:
>night at the museum movies
>transformers
>human centipede
>big momma's house
>high school musical
>the transporter
the list goes on and on
>>
>>64857316
and yet the prequels have even more flaws then these. The Hobbit was based on a mediocre book so it wasnt that great. With the prequels Geoge lucas couldve done anything and he made a pile of shit, thats why star wars is worse.
>>
>>64857382

I thought there were like 4 or 5 Transformer movies.

But fair enough. I should have said it was the worst trilogy I've seen, or worst trilogy adaption, or something.

Still my biggest letdown, I hate those movies.
>>
>>64857359
Not saying it isnt, just informing you that in the movies its about 60 years from Hobbit to LotR. In the book there is like 17 or something years + when nothing happened at the beginning.
>>
The original Ninja Turtles trilogy is probably one of the worst adaptations ever.
>>
>>64855552
Hobbit trilogy is much worse than Star Wars prequels, reddit
>>
>>64855552
Nope, they both did things, but suck isn't one of them
>had predecessors of the hero be way more badass then their counterpart
>deviated and expanded the lore
>wasn't just a simple "good versus evil" story
>fun to get into for a new generation
Both the prequels and The Hobbit are back stories done right.
>>
>>64857442
your expectations were waaaaay too high for the hobbit. Thats why everyone is overreacting and saying they are the worst thing ever. Wait a few years and compare them to other movies
>>
>>64857436
>mediocre book
>>
>>64857495
compared to the lord of the rings? you bet
>>
>>64857490

I was as excited seeing the first one as I get when I'm about to re watch LotR.

It's been a couple years now I think. But everything about them were bad (again, except Martin). The casting, character design, characters, dialogue, CGI, pacing, etc.
>>
well acted, well directed, decent action. Why must eveything on the internet be exceptional or terrible with no middle ground? The Hobbit movies are the definition of middle ground, there fore they couldve been much worse
>>
File: 1443337541377.png (201 KB, 317x275) Image search: [Google]
1443337541377.png
201 KB, 317x275
>>64855552
There is some quality on the first one, also, the third one is so over the top it entertains me, even though it's garbage.

Star Wars prequels are on a whole other level of shitty.
>>
>>64855685
This

It started with "ehh okay" to "I never want to see that fucking movie again"

Jesus Christ. That river scene in particular, idk, it just seemed so lazy. That lens they put over everything elvish, that CGI from 2005 just...bleh
>>
The Hobbit movies are just as bad as the LotR movies, which are just as bad as the Star Wars prequels, yeah.
>>
>>64856776

Oh man I remember everyone gaasping and whispering

>It's Aragorn! Hihihi

This is how cinema shootings happen.
>>
>>64857573

Star Wars episode 3 was middle ground, mediocre. The Hobbit movies were atrocious.
>>
File: Lee-Pace-thranduil.jpg (78 KB, 1400x899) Image search: [Google]
Lee-Pace-thranduil.jpg
78 KB, 1400x899
>Go North, by which I mean West because there's fuck all North of here but more dragons and then more fuck all and then snow, find the Dunedain, who I know you're intimately familiar with because we both remember the entire history of mankind. There is a ranger among them, you should meet him, he's ten years old so he's still living in Rivendell. His father Arathorn was a big guy, for me, which you know already, his son may be a big guy, for you. He will be known in a little shitburg town you'll never visit as Strider, I'm not telling you his real name but it rhymes with Arathorn and he's the only ten year old human in Rivendell, probably. Legolas, your mother loved you, which of course you know because you spent thousands of years together and as we're empathic elves I don't think we're capable of not loving our children, but maybe in AD&D or Warhammer or something we'll look like assholes.
>>
>>64857646
In movie canon, Aragorn is in his twenties during Hobbit films since there is like 16 years deleted from timeline
>>
>>64857646
This gets longer each time I see it
>>
File: 1448351811108.png (389 KB, 437x581) Image search: [Google]
1448351811108.png
389 KB, 437x581
>>64857646
>>
>>64857708
The "deleted" years are after Bilbo's party. In the books Frodo stays in the Shire for 17 years, I think, but as Aragorn says he is 87 in The Two Towers, he is 27 during the Hobbit films-
>>
>>64858116
I know. That's why Aragorn is 27, in the books he was 10.
>>
>>64858143
Yeah, the timeline in the movies are all kinds of fucked up
>>
>>64857452
do you even meath?
Aragon is 87 in LOTR
hobbit takes place 60 years before that
87 - 60 = 27
he is 27 in the hobbit films>>64857359
>>64857190
>>64857089
>>
>>64858475
Thats what I said.
>>
>>64855552
The Hobbit Trilogy was far, far worse, if for no other reason than it desecrated valuable literature.
>>
>>64856198
It makes me think I'm looking at one of those FMV pc games like Phantasmagoria 2. Except the CGI graphics in your image would've been almost worshipped back when FMVs were first being produced.
>>
>>64859495
This
>>
>>64855643
They had a much more epic feel and a lighter feel to them. Some of the cut scenes improved the flow of the films enormously and some scenes straight out explain how the party gets from A to B or why Thing is taking place. A lot of "long shots of actors running across open ground and hills" have been added back in, returning the expansive feel that LOTR had. For fuck sake, the extended edition has Thorin's funeral put back in, hence actually closing the story of the Arkenstone instead of all the characters simply forgetting about the macguffin that they spent whole trilogy trying to acquire.

Watching the Appendices really gives you an appreciation of the effort and work that went into making The Hobbit trilogy. Without the preproduction that LOTR enjoyed, the filming techniques used in the Hobbit were pretty much the only option Jackson had.

That CGI Dain and the battle of the Five Armies as a whole was still utterly inexcusable though and takes the 3rd film from a 7/10 to a 4/10 for me.
>>
>>64857549
>The casting, character design, characters

This is all objectively wrong you child

the pacing might've been weird, but the Hobbit is a fuck awful story to adapt into a movie so the pacing is obviously going to be shit no matter what. Be glad it turned out even half decent
>>
>>64855552
That really isn't a fair comparison. My list of reasons as to why the Hobbit is better than Star Wars prequels
>Better production values, at least when its not a scene filled with CGI
>Likeable and well acted protagonist. Martin Freeman as Bilbo was perfect casting and the films are great when they focus on him (which is sadly far less than it should be)
>Riddles in the dark
>Battle of wits with smaug, at least until the other dwarves turn up and it becomes a joke.
>In general better direction, characterisation, dialogue and acting.
They are still disappointing but there is a much higher level of actual film craft here compared to Star Wars.
>>
>>64856228
See, that is actually clever. Just one of the many good ideas in the prequels that gets buried beneath the shit direction and effects.
>>
>>64855552
As poorly made, but most of the characters are actually characters.
Or maybe I'm just projecting the characters from the book onto it, idk.
>>
>>64855552
Well for one thing I actually gave a shit about/liked some of the characters in the Hobbit, that's one thing it's got over the SW prequels.
>>
Star Wars Prequels
TPM - 5/10
AotC - 4/10
RotS - 6/10

The Hobbit
AUJ - 5/10
TDoS - 6/10
TBotFA - 4/10

I actually have them both at an average of 5/10, which means you have my agreement.
>>
>>64855702
Oh man you can tell he just knows the hobbit will be a shit
>>
>>64856447
This was the best thing to come out of the Hobbit movies
>>
>>64861844
>DOS above AUJ
>>
>>64862068
What can I say, I preferred the Smaug/Bilbo conversations to the vomitous Troll King.
>>
>>64855552
The Hobbit movies were disappointing
The Star Wars prequels were a disaster
>>
File: thehobbitwasamistake.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
thehobbitwasamistake.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>64855702

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
>>
>>64855552
there is no laser you foken fek
Better find something else to compare it to
>>
File: why.png (78 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
why.png
78 KB, 412x351
>tfw they use shots from a GoPro in the barrel sequence.
>>
>>64856447
i wonder if theyre legally not allowed to tell the starring actor that the childish shit theyre doing is not actually funny at all
>>
I disagree.
There's a good movie in there (not fantastic, but good), if you were to edit out all the crap (all the filler, all the stuff with the elves, most of the third movie). Still waiting for a good fanedit to come out.
The Star Wars prequels don't really have anything in them worth watching
>>
>>64861844

>a couple of scenes in both AUJ and DOS make them equal to the shitfests that were TPM and AotC

Holy shit terminate yourself immediately

AotC is irredeemably garbage, and so is TPM. I seriously think none of you have watched the movies recently, they're fucking terrible

at least the hobbit movies are watchable as much as some of the scenes are completely retarded
>>
it's worse since it's actually based on an established story. you shouldn't be able to fuck that up.
>>
>>64862594
>at least the hobbit movies are watchable as much as some of the scenes are completely retarded
This. The first movie is quite nice and atmospheric, if slow and full of filler. The second movie is more or less as good, aside from the part with the elves. The third has almost nothing of value though
>>
>>64855552
It's worse, because you cannot actually watch it as an unintentional comedy and it has a whole lot worse soundtrack.
>>
>>64862349
kek
>>
>>64856447
Some of the most disrespectful shit I've ever seen
>>
File: that 10 out of 10 casting.png (328 KB, 748x491) Image search: [Google]
that 10 out of 10 casting.png
328 KB, 748x491
>>64855552
I actually enjoyed the Hobbit movies but the prequels are a million times better and genuinenly good movies if you don't take them too seriously.

Fucking millennial edgemasters.
>>
>>64855552

The most unforgivable change was cutting gandalf slowly revealing how many dwarves he has with him to beorn. That story and part are hilarious in the book and it's cut instead for soedgy 'grr, beorn is a scary bearman.'.

Also they make Bilbo a side character in HIS story. At least Lucas was making his own story, Jackson had the fucking script right in front of him and thought he could tell a better story than JRR Tolkien.
>>
>>64856447
Accurately sums up their treatment of the source material
>>
>>64855552
No, no we can't agree.
>>
>>64862594
>>a couple of scenes in both AUJ and DOS make them equal to the shitfests that were TPM and AotC
Actually, I said TDoS was superior to AotC by 2 points.

>AotC is irredeemably garbage and so is TPM.
And by that, you mean worth less than 4/10 and 5/10? Fair call. I disagree. I think there were several moments in each that warrant them near-average marks. The music is fantastic in both, and the lightsaber duel at the end of TPM is great, for two examples.

>I seriously think none of you have watched the movies recently, they're fucking terrible
The last time I watched the Hobbit films was immediately before the release of TBotFA, and the last time I watched the prequels was immediately before the release of TFA.

>at least the hobbit movies are watchable as much as some of the scenes are completely retarded
Well, all six were watchable - or did you exit the theatre halfway through the prequels?
But as for rewatchability, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch The Hobbit films ever again.
>>
File: 1384981245384.gif (925 KB, 370x208) Image search: [Google]
1384981245384.gif
925 KB, 370x208
>>64857609
>Lord of the Rings are as bad as the Star Wars prequels
Are you "le ebin contrarian" or just trolling?
>>
>>64855552
It's infinitely worse though, if revenge of the site was all about jar jar binks stumbling about the Jedi building and attack of the clones had Jedi springing out of barrels then it might compare.
>>
File: trash.jpg (95 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
95 KB, 1920x1080
>>64857609
Get out you filthy piece of TRAYSH
>>
>>64855702
That's not how it was for Jackson though. Watch the appendices. The guy worked himself into exhaustion
>>
>>64855552
First one was really fucking good, and felt like fellowship all over again, so better than episode 1

desolation was fucking awful, and they ruined one of bilbo's best moments with fucking barrel nonsense.
they're just as bad because of the terrible love story slammed in

third was piss, and ruined most of what was left.
revenge of the sith wasn't as bad.

so overall, yes.
>>
>>64856374
It is, plainly and clearly.
>>
File: 1364553838250.jpg (46 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1364553838250.jpg
46 KB, 550x550
I really want a Children of Hurin adaption but I'm afraid they'll fuck it up
>>
I couldn't get into any of the LotR nor Star Wars movies. All of it looks like shit for kids or dumb adults.
>>
The only good scene in the whole trilogy was Gollums riddle. It was exactly how I imagined it while reading the book. Everything else was soulless, video-gameish looking dogshit.
>>
the prequels are trash.
the hobbit trilogy is bland tho, which makes it even worse
>>
>>64856103

Take your pills Christopher, and stop trying to ride on the back of your father's work.

Unfaithful to the tone of the book? Tolkien wrote The Hobbit as a children's story. It's meant for little kids, it's not supposed to be the grand epic that you project it to be.
>>
>>64856448

As someone who actually greatly enjoyed the first Hobbit movie, I became surprisingly bored from watching the smaug chase scene in Erebor, even on my first viewing.
>>
>>64856533

The extended edition of the Battle of five armies saves it somewhat, I actually really liked the Twirly Whirlies and the chariot scene.
>>
>>64855552
No, it is worse. Prequals are flawed but enjoyable.

Hobbit is just outright atrocious, particularly when put next to LoTR
>>
>>64858475

Wrong. Aragorn was 87 in the two towers.

In the Fellowship of the Ring Frodo actually fucks around in Hobbiton for almost a decade before Gandalf comes back to ask if the ring is secret and safe.

Don't you remember the montage of Gandalf traveling all over the place to research where the ring came from? He goes to Gondor, the place that takes the fellowship 3 movies to get to.

So at least knock off 10 years from your estimate
>>
>>64855552
i ran into martin freeman once in the elevator in my building. it was probably 3 am, we were both, well, i wouldn't say 3 sheets to the wind, but a good 2 1/2. a lot of modeling agencies owned apts in my building, so i'm sure he was on a booty call. like every famous person i've ever met, his skin was flawless. anyway, we get into the elevator--he's standing next to the buttons--and he has the nerve to ask me to push '3' for him. i looked down at him (he's short) and laughed and pushed 6, my floor.
>>
>>64870205
>almost a decade

17 years.
>>
The Extended Edition of the third is actually better. It also has blood and some more battles wich make the connection between the set pieces more logical. It's also the most goriest movie of all the middle earth films. But what the biggest problem with the hobbit is that it feels so weird. The tone seems serious but it has such childish moments that you don't feel there is any real danger at all. While in Lord of the Rings the serious tone makes the movie feel special
>>
>>64862762
The third would have been better if Smaug hadn't shaken off the gold at the end of the second so he was attacking the town as a badass solid gold dragon.
>>
>>64856335
>Lucas turns something for adults into something for children
>Everyone hates it
>Jackson turns something for children into something for adults
>Everyone hates it

Pottery
>>
>>64870205
but in the movie it's not years before gandalf returns. It's months. Movie has different canon than the books. So aragarn is 27 maybe 26 in the hobbit movies
>>
>>64870205
>traveling all over the place to research where the ring came from? He goes to Gondor, the place that takes the fellowship 3 movies to get to.
>10 years

the only thing we see him to is travel to minas tirith, which doesn't even take a month on horseback through the gap of rohan

where the fuck do you get your ten years from?
>>
>>64857490
>your expectations were waaaaay too high for the hobbit
I can understand that given that they're prequels to fucking Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>64855552

Phantom Menace -- fuckmethissucks/10

War of the Clones -- sofuckingboring/10

He Cut Off Me Legs The Jedi -- whatisthisgoofyshit/10

Any Of The Hobbit Movies -- whyisthislikeharrypotter/10

Star Wars Prequels were intolerably disgusting and made me want to puke in my mind. Hobbit movies were just boring as fuck but not necessarily offensive.
>>
>>64855620
The last battle was like just a few pages long lmao
>>
>>64855552
No they're far worse, also the prequels were really good more or less if you pretend AOTC never existed
>>
Someone needs to make a 2 movie edit (or just one long movie) removing all the shitty parts..
>>
>>64871637
>He Cut Off Me Legs The Jedi
>read this with cockney accent and bulging eyes
>>
Why would they call it battle of the five armies and then make armies 4 and 5 joining the battle seem like an unexpected twist.
>>
I can speak for everyone and say YES.
>>
>>64858475
Right but there's a 17 year period after Bilbo left the Shire during which Gandalf was traveling Middle_earth looking for evidence of the One Ring. That's before Frodo left the Shire.
So Aragorn was 9 or 10.
>>
>>64855552
not even close.. At least the hobbit was well directed even if it was a ridiculous story. The prequels were all garbage
>>
>>64861844
auj is 9/10 dos is like 7/10.. all else are right but starwars 3 is 2/10
>>
>>64863413
no, his wife did and he couldnt tell her no.. he often said he didnt want the tauriel storyline but his wife (and producer) wouldnt allow it
>>
>>64866451
auj was better tan the whole prequel trilogy.. sadly u are right on the added story line and the piss that is battle
>>
>>64872346
hahaha good joke.. the hobbit movies are fucking amazing if u pretend battle doesnt exist.. preuels 1 and 3 stll have awful george lucas writing
>>
>>64855552
No, got fuck yourself OP.
>>
>>64870823
this is correct
>>
File: 1411774212129.png (444 KB, 500x423) Image search: [Google]
1411774212129.png
444 KB, 500x423
I really liked the first one, I don't see what was so wrong with it other than the forced children's humour. The second, like Attack of the Clones, was forgettable and had a poor ending. The third one was... eh.
I dunno, I definitely wouldn't compare them seriously to the Star Wars PT. These were actually entertaining.
>>
I don't mind that they tried to combine The Hobbit with a bunch of LOTR appendices / worldbuilding stuff, but the execution was really awful. Like Galadriel suddenly has all these OP spells that would've been really useful in LOTR. Or how did the Elves hop over the Dwarves' formation without any problems (in BOTFA), like as though it was a rehearsed maneuver? The Dwarves and Elves were on the verge of fighting just moments before, now they're carrying out coordinated maneuvers? The Dwarves might've thought the Elves were taking advantage of the situation to attack the Dwarves, then countered by raising their axes to chop off the Elves nutsacks.
>>
>>64856447
fuckin lol
>>
Wrong because it has good acting and characters.

Star wars prequels besides obiwan and sheev was devoid of any interesting characters or acting.
>>
>>64856198
Hey, they're better to look at than the Hobbit movies. At least there's no fucking bloom effect making me wonder if my eyes are clouding over or not
>>
File: kloppo.jpg (37 KB, 178x205) Image search: [Google]
kloppo.jpg
37 KB, 178x205
>>64856103
>The prequels are beautiful to look at.
>>
>>64863342
They're shit, just like your hot opinions, gramps.
>>
>>64855552
No. I cannot agree at all. For one, that would malign at least in part the genius of JRR Tolkien, since these movies are at least somewhat faithful to the book, and for another, as bad as they were, the acting was infinitely superior to anything in the Star Wars prequels
>>
>>64856198
I always thought that scene had some style to it. I know it doesn't look natural, but then again, the world is alien and unnatural. It just sort of looked right to me, and the actual actions scenes tended to be relatively seamless
>>
>>64856228
well yes, but that's pretty obvious
>>
>>64857359
that it is
>>
>>64856447
why did he do this, does he think he's funny or something? This is something I'd expect an actress to do.
>>
I don't give a fuck. I only watched them because of delicious Lee Pace.
>>
>>64872346
AOTC is the best prequel.
>>
File: thranduil.jpg (135 KB, 1280x533) Image search: [Google]
thranduil.jpg
135 KB, 1280x533
>>64877952
Why did he look so old in the third movie
>>
>>64855552
yeah
>>
>>64869796

>it's not supposed to be the grand epic that you project it to be.

That's exactly what Jackson did to the Hobbit, though.

Turning it into a saga by explicitly tying it to the LOTR trilogy, and adding more angst, violence, and romances.
>>
>>64858008
They're not assholes.
>>
>>64855808
I don't think any fan edit can really fix that mess. I used to post "fan edit" threads all the time until I saw 3. Now it seems hopeless.
>>
File: adaptation.jpg (112 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
adaptation.jpg
112 KB, 1200x500
>>64856228
>it represents the convict between technology and chicken
>>
>>64855552
Good god no.

The hobbit films started promising but then careened towards disaster starting with the second one.

The prequels are just pure unadulterated shit all the way through.
>>
>64855555
>>
>>64855552
Last one was prequel tier. The first two at least felt like movies and were pretty good when they were doing things that actually were in the book (dwarf party, Gollum, Smaug, etc) and terrible when they weren't (fucking elves should all have been cut).

The third one was just a giant mess of stupid shit happening in a giant battle where we couldn't see what was going on and we didn't care about the outcome. It might actually have been worse than the SW prequels.
>>
>>64856447
the "come here... BOINK! UP THE ARSE" is actually funny
>>
>>64856198
I watched this movie the other day and it didn't look nearly this bad.
>>
>>64866451
Barrels happened in the book too, difference was there was no fight and nobody saw the escape.
>>
>>64856103
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug
>>
Episode I 5.5
Episode II 4.0
Episode III 7.5

Hobbit I 7.0
Hobbit II 5.5
Hobbit III 3.0
>>
Nope.

Episode VII being so fucking garbage gave me a new appreciation for the prequels. I used to hate them but I was begging for anything interesting to happen for the entirety of Star Wars : Girl Power edition to the point that at least the prequels had some cool scenes.
>>
>>64856228
Why not a horse? A nice space horse, he could be blue and more big or something. And make him roar, bleat or whatever you want not that horrible noice of the chicken.
>>
So has anyone re-edited the Hobbit Trilogy into one movie or a two parter yet?
>>
>>64856228

I'm pretty sure his fucking robotic body represents his cyborg nature you tool.
>>
>>64857382

You forgot the star wars prequels
>>
>>64856622
>You)

I agree, but in no rush to watch it again
>>
>>64857606
The fact that they utterly destroyed one of the best parts of the book.
>>
>>64862349
you got me
>>
>>64857226
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>64855768
>appendices, and lead in to LotR.

No, that ruined the whole thing. We needed a single 3.5 hour Hobbit movie that did nothing but adapt the actual book. It would have worked and it would have been good. The appendix content made the tone jump all over the place and trying to tie things into LOTR led to things like Legolas being tasked with finding Aragorn some 50+ years before he was fucking born.
>>
>>64884836

Yeah, google The Hobbit Fanedit
>>
>>64857382

You forgot Fast and Furious...
>>
File: 1298835767681.jpg (126 KB, 452x308) Image search: [Google]
1298835767681.jpg
126 KB, 452x308
I enjoyed most extended scenes in BotFA. The whole war wagon was fun to watch.

Shame they gave the dwarves almost no screen time, they actually show alot of good scenes in the making-of but most were cut in favor of more Alfrid.
>>
>check /tv/ every night in the hour of free time I have for the lotr thread that happens every now and then
>it's starwars shit

When will this end?
Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.