[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this movie fail? I've read a few of the books a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
File: john_carter-finalposter.jpg (115 KB, 596x850) Image search: [Google]
john_carter-finalposter.jpg
115 KB, 596x850
Why did this movie fail?
I've read a few of the books and I liked it. Sure, that part where he used his nephew as bait to catch a Thern made no sense, but it was pretty good otherwise.

Just watch this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZeptdPPrU
>>
Disney totally fucked up the publicity.
It should have been called John Carter of Mars for a start. Then they should have hyped the shit out of Deja Thoris as strong woman and a princess.
Same for Sola.
This is a more imaginative film than TFA by a big margin.
Ironically, some fuckwits actually lambasted this film for being too like a Star Wars film even though the source material is 100+ years old
>>
He had to lure a Thern so he could get another amulet.
>>
>>64751241
best scene
>>
People only like shit films if they have franchise branding.

e.g.
'Star Wars:The Force Awakens'
'Star Trek 2: Into Darkness'
'Untitled Terence Malick Project'
>>
Really shit name for a fantasy film. I thought it was some kind of biography based on the name.
>>
Andrew Stanton made some baffling decisions in terms of marketing and fought with Disney over how it should be handled.

And he lost
>>
>>64751241

The director didn't really know what he was doing with the special effects and it over-ran in costs.

Then one of the Disney execs decided to do everything in his power to make it fail so his predecessor would look bad and he would look good by comparison.

It's actually a pretty good movie. At least a solid 7/10. Sank the careers of Kitsch and the Princess though.
>>
>>64751390
I know. I saw the movie.
It just doesn't really make sense that it could work.
>>
I think this will gain fans over the years, once people catch it on TV or whatever.
It has some the best CGI characters I've ever seen.
>>
It's called "John Carter"
>>
>>64751348
All of this plus Taylor Kitsch just isn't movie star material.
>>
>>64751241
the terrible female lead

>i will do anything for my people
>get married
>no i wont do that

plus shitty CGI and the guy playing john carter is not a bankable actor
>>
>>64751549
im pretty sure Battleship sank his career more.

hehe did you get it? battleship sank his career? lol are you aware of the joke i'm trying to tell here? battleship sank. it's like a play on words of the game. cause it's the battleship that sank the career instead of the battleship getting sanked? let me know if you don't understand
>>
Contrarians on here will defend it, but the source material was a bunch of nonsensical garbage. The main character is an immortal dude who gets teleported to Mars each time he 'dies' on Earth. His main power was being able to jump really high. There really isn't anything more interesting to say. Considering the books were 100 years old, critically panned, and unheard of outside the US, it was a bizarre choice for a movie adaptation.
>>
>>64752067
Do you think we will fall for this shit?
Go away little boy.
>>
I don't know who Taylor Mitch is beyond this film but that shouldn't make much of a difference.
I see nothing bad about his Carter portrayal and I honestly don't know what a famous name could add to role.
>>
>>64751241
trailer didn't do shit to get me interested
and posters just had 'jc' or just john carter like i was expected to know.
there was no background, nothing

trailer should've shown clips of directors/or movies and then said they all had one thing in common... these stories/directors/writers grew up reading edgar rice burrows' john carter of mars.
then showed clips of john carter (of mars).

making me read or looking up john carter online put me off from seeing the movie.
>>
>>64751549
too bad
the princess was pretty hot and convincing stronk womyn
she would have made a better ww
>>
>>64751241
because its literally what? and who?

i see this on netflix and i'd rather watch the big bang theory for the 20th time than this garbage
>>
>>64751241

Looks like shit
>>
>>64752215
>I want everything spoonfed to me instead of having to do any additional research
>>
>>64751348
>It should have been called John Carter of Mars for a start
Dumbasses fucked the title.
>>
Reading some of these comments and I'm starting to think Disney underestimated how retarded and lazy millenials are.
>>
>>64752339
>saying this after they made bank with a star wars turn off your brain rehash
Maybe they learnt something from jcs failure
>>
>>64752551
Absolutely right.
TFA is a lazy remake packed with nothing new at all. They DID learn from JC in the worst ways possible.
>>
>>64752067
>this

The source material was too old. It's was like Disney trying to sell Atari consoles in 2016. Everything was so random.
>>
>>64752215
This "turn off your brain" meme is getting out of control.
>>
File: enough.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
I don't really understand people that say this movie was good.
Do they say so because nobody watched it so they can be different?
Cause I watched it, and while the setting was interesting, it was in no way different from the "big dumb space action movie" blockbuster.
Story made no sense, characters were cliches, there's no emotion or depth to anything, and you find yourself bored quickly.
>>
>>64753225
>Story made no sense, characters were cliches
kinda
> there's no emotion or depth to anything
but that clip in the OP has hella depth
>>
Yeah, I pleasantly surprised watching it. Better than most of the flick of the months fags spend all day arguing about here.
>>
File: Dejah-Thoris-John-Carter-Movie.jpg (258 KB, 1066x500) Image search: [Google]
Dejah-Thoris-John-Carter-Movie.jpg
258 KB, 1066x500
>>
>>64753225
Are you talking about The Force Awakens, because the description is perfect.
>>
You know the best thing I can say about John Carter is that for about an hour and a half I stopped thinking about banal real life shit and just thought about how cool it would be to wake up on Mars and wander the desert finding awesome alien ruins and lost technology, befriending Tharks and romancing hot martian women.

Then the film ended and I felt kind of sad and sense of loss. Which is more than I got from watching Avengers Age of Ultron, or The Force Awakens.
>>
>>64751241
I went into the movie with my friends just because nothing else was on.
Went in expecting shit, had a nice time.
Was more entertaining than TFA to be honestg
>>
All I remember is a bland, empty CGI shitfest that I got bored of very frequently.
>>
>>64753999
Sure, that's J.J for you
>>
>>64753959
Man she was hot
>>
>>64753072
>>64752288

it looked like a good sci fi. but the name itself (title of movie) was just 'john carter'. like that's all i'm suppose to know about the movie or get an idea of what it's suppose to mean.

marketing was bad. simple.
spoonfed excuse is stupid.
>>
>>64754603
This is the only real answer, and everyone else is being contrarian for the sake of it. It's a lifeless, boring shell of a movie, just as much of an assembly line production piece of shit as every other blockbuster /tv/ likes to hate.
>>
>>64751772
Should have been Brandon Fraser
>>
it felt like a real diverse alien world

TFA felt like an advert for the next SW film
>>
>>64751241
The publicity counted on people remembering a comic only their grandparents even heard of.
>>
>>64753249
>depth
>im angry cuz dey killed mommy!
>>
it was based on an extremely famous SF novel by one of the most famous fantasy authors of all time
who is also even more famous for creating Tarzan.

From the creator of Tarzan of the Apes, Edgar Rice Burroughs comes the science fiction series which invented the space opera genre!

John Carter of Mars!

You wouldn't think you could totally fuck that up, but they did.
>>
>>64755603
It's his wife and kid u fagit
>>
>>64755665
nobody fucking knows about john carter and no one knows about the author. Just because Tarzan is a popular disney cartoon for kids doesn't mean most people even fucking know it's based on a book
>>
File: cuck_a_duck.jpg (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cuck_a_duck.jpg
93 KB, 500x500
>>64752288
>Do additional research
>On a movie poster or trailer
>That does nothing to invite interest
Holy shit, how much of a corporate studio slave are you?
>>
>>64755717
millenial retard
>>
File: princ.jpg (434 KB, 1030x1507) Image search: [Google]
princ.jpg
434 KB, 1030x1507
>>
Shakespeare? That's hundreds of years old n'shit and it ain't in Amercian n'shit.
Their ain't even a comic book of that shit.
>>
>>64755788
Guess who's the biggest market for movies.... that's right. millenials. So I'm right and your post is idiotic
>>
File: Book-1-A-Princess-Of-Mars-1.jpg (1 MB, 958x1600) Image search: [Google]
Book-1-A-Princess-Of-Mars-1.jpg
1 MB, 958x1600
>>
>>64755717

Are you one of those idiots that thought the Titanic was a fictional ship?
>>
>>64755861
you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>64755922
>"why did the movie fail"
>"john carter of mars is well known"
>"no its not"
>"NO U R STUPID.... U STUPID IDIOT RETARD!"
>>
File: 54_PrincessOfMars.jpg (78 KB, 471x600) Image search: [Google]
54_PrincessOfMars.jpg
78 KB, 471x600
>>
>>64751241
They weren't nekkid.
>>
>>64755908
John carter isn't well known, period. Stop trying to be contrarian. You aren't special for pretending it's well known outside of your warhammer 40k club.
>>
>>64755986
everything you said there confirms you are a 4chan moron with stock repetative answers
thanks for the confirmation
>>
>>64751549
I thought they tanked it in preparation for buying Star Wars. They poisoned the well so that no one else could retake the John Carter property and compete against Disney.
>>
>>64756035
>repetative
idiot alert
>>
>>64751241
this movie had potential
>>
>>64756135
thank you for alerting us to your idiocy
>>
>>64756173
stfu
>>
File: Brendan_Fraser_cropped.jpg (72 KB, 563x600) Image search: [Google]
Brendan_Fraser_cropped.jpg
72 KB, 563x600
>>64754914
>Brandon Fraser
>>
>>64756196
excellent response. You haven't tried 'cuck' or 'n*****' yet?
>>
>>64756243
lol nice ad hominem idiot
>>
>>64751870
i know you are trying to be funny but it just sounds bad man
>>
>>64756256
unlike 'idiot alert'?

Do you know what ad hominem means?
>>
>>64751720
Flash Gordon of our time?
>>
>>64751241

This is as good as POTC 1.

Its a perfect comfy film.
>>
>>64756315
it wasn't ad hominem, you were a definite idiot because you couldn't spell "repetitive"
>>
>>64752288
if you are going for a mass appeal especially for suppose to be blockbuster movie you got to give audience everything about the film well not everything something less vague more approachable
>>
>>64753225
not every film has to be citizen kane to be good
>>
>>64756372
ohh I see. A typo. Well done :)
>>
>>64756423
lol don't be condescending with me honey.
>>
>>64754380
This kinda movie is really about escapism and power fantasy
>>
>>64755665
the new tarzan movie looks great
>>
>>64756439
I wouldn't touch your 'honey' with barge pole :)
>>
>>64755717
>Tarzan
>just a popular Disney cartoon for kids

Tarzan is one of the most well known fictional characters of the last century. As easily recognizable as Tom Sawyer or Conan. It's because of literary figures like Tarzan that we even have "capeshit" today for you to mindlessly consume.
>>
>>64756530
>Tarzan is one of the most well known fictional characters of the last century
If we're talking about the book, then maybe 50 years ago gramps
>>
>>64755824
Don't mind me, just posting the best cover art.
>>
>>64756494
it looks well made
a bit broody looking maybe
>>
>>64756588
They've been making Tarzan movies since the 30s. For you to just brand it as a cartoon for kids is deplorable. You bang on your chest and make that noise and everyone knows your aping Tarzan. Stop being such a contrarian.
>>
>>64756692
Yeah because of the fucking disney movie. Go google Tarzan and the only movie that comes up is the cartoon and the new one.
>>
>>64756692
>aping tarzan

kek
>>
>>64756678
2edgy4me
>>
Barsoom series is unquestionably the antecedent of Star Wars, swords and aliens genre.
Tarzan is arguably the first superhero.
>>
>>64756760
>google Tarzan
>3rd link is to the wiki page for the literary character, with further links to every book, movie, comic, etc. etc. that has featured the character

Anyone who isnt a kid or a mindless millennial knows that the only reason Disney even considered making that movie and cartoon series, was because of how massively popular the character is.

And this new movie is basically doing all the stuff that wasn't in the Disney cartoon.
>>
File: 1437321049623.jpg (24 KB, 300x190) Image search: [Google]
1437321049623.jpg
24 KB, 300x190
>memelords and /capeshit/ers pretend not to know who Edgar Rice Burroughs is
>>
>>64751870
Ooooh I get it lawl :p
>>
>>64756861
John Carter is even more of a superhero than Tarzan. Carter is an inverse Superman.
>>
>>64757028
agreed. He has the superpowers on Barsoom. Tarzan being the first Earth based SH?
I think they came out about the same time anyway.
>>
>Martian gravity is 0.38 G's
>Guy can effortlessly leap hundreds of feet in a single bound
Yeah nah
>>
different coloured sun means a guy can fly and have super strength
radioactive spider turns a guy into a man spider
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.