[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watch the original trilogy again >bad acting all over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
>watch the original trilogy again
>bad acting all over
>looks like a home movie
>shitty script and writing

Why was this praised again?
>>
>>64735943
you're not old enough to understand.
>>
>>64735943

Don't forget nearly the entire cast is white. Borrring.
>>
Because it was released in the 70s when there was nothing close to that scale and production value and despite the terrible writing the story is an old timeless tale of the hero. Acting was alright.
>>
It was called the '70s.

Be a pleb elsewhere.
>>
>>64735986
Oh, so it's just nostalgia?

It's like when people praise Psycho when it was one of the most poorly acted movies of all time? It's old and got a cult following, so it's good?
>>
>>64735991
This, if it was me I would've made Han Solo into a big strong black bull to enrich Leia with his ebony cock and put that white boy Luke in his place. And Vader was a black man, he was coursing with power, and he was symbolically big and black, of course Hollywood had to whitify him at the very end which broke my immersion completely.
>>
The dialog is disgustingly bad.

Nothing but nostalgia goggles can make people think "lazer brain" and "I've got a bad feeling about this." is good dialog.
>>
>>64736064
Not, it's because it was the first movie to do the kind of shit it did on the scale it did it so it was crazy hyped in it's time and had a huge influence on popular culture.
>>
>>64735943
>Why was this praised again?
It's not a glib facsimile of itself. But you wouldn't understand because you're a greasy chinaman.
>>
I finally watched it for the first time a few days ago and even though there were parts of it that were glaringly shitty even without any nostalgia goggles I could appreciate it for what it was.
>>
>>64736194
I see. But it still is a pretty fucking bad set of movies.

It's like Star Trek series. You watch that shit nowadays and it's laughable because it is so poorly made with shitty acting and dialogue all over.

My dad laughs at these old shit that people, and he, used to praise, like The Prisoner (tv show), he used to love it when he was young, but now he laughs because it is ridiculous and bad.

So I don't get why so many people stay in denial about how bad movies were back then.
>>
>>64735943
>bad acting

The movies were never about the acting, it was about the STORY.

>looks like a home movie
No, it doens't. They look like classic FILMS.

>Shitty script and writing
Aside from some weird dialogue in ANH and ROTJ, the Stories are very well written

Die.
>>
Would have been better if Luke didn't go straight from goofy overconfident jedi in training to stoic intense badass space wizard in the time between the second and third movies. The way he acts in the last one almost feels like a different character.
>>
>>64735943
>looks like a home movie

this made me kek
>>
>>64736378
>The movies were never about the acting, it was about the STORY.
Then by that logic the prequels were god sends with their expansive lore and story so complex you have to look it up on wookiepedie afterward to understand what happened.
>>
>>64736713
>implying complexity is always a good thing

In that case it isn't
>>
>>64735943
pretty much all of those apply to the prequels except ten fold. oh and sup reddit.
>>
i'm curious when did films start to become more serious? and what films influenced this change?
>>
>>64735943
>bad acting

>Professional Tier
Guinness
Jones
Cushing
Oz
>Bankable Tier
Ford
Williams
>Passable Tier
Hamill
Daniels
>Bad Tier
Fisher
Prowse (He doesn't even talk and they still had to body double him)
Mayhew
>Not even acting
Baker
>>
>>64736316
>I don't get why so many people stay in denial about how bad movies were back then.

When something becomes iconic, it's very hard for the general population to shake it off. Individual people can watch it and laugh and wonder why people are still praising it, but the society as a whole still regards it as an icon everyone knows about.

It's difficult to explain just because it doesn't make sense. But, not a whole lot about social culture does make sense if you stop to analyze it.
>>
>>64736891
>muh Cushing
>in the film for 3 minutes
>>
>>64737009
I didn't bill him, talk to Kurtz and Fox.
>>
>>64736713
>world-building
>considered to be Story

Top kek. The prequels were shit.
>>
>>64737009
And it's the best 3 minutes ever filmed.
>>
>>64737009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qLzsIhUMk
Anyone who can deliver this opposite of Fisher deserves an Oscar.
>>
>>64736961
>>64736316

None of these things apply to the original trilogy.

They're great films that still hold up today.

Sorry edgelords.
>>
>>64736713
World building and lore aren't the same thing as a story.
>>
>>64737148
This.

ANH - 8.5/10
ESB - 9/10
ROTJ - 8/10

Great fucking trilogy.
>>
OP: I'm a piece of shit. Tell me what to think!
>>
>>64736026

This.

They're honestly nothing special, the definition of "dated", but they're still held in high regard because of what they did back then.
>>
>>64737144
bitch shoulda said the rebels were on Alderaan
>>
>>64737213
They're still better movies than 95% of the shit that has come out since then.
>>
>>64736111

>I've got a bad feeling about this.

That's line is in every Star Wars movie.
>>
The acting was great and the cinematography was amazing for the time it was released.

Watch the despecialized version.
>>
Because it had likeable characters, an ambitious scope and strong (if often flawed) directorial vision. Combined with striking visual design and the right mix of awe-inspiring shots for the time period to draw people in.
>>
>>64737271
>tfw I own original release VHS of the unfuckedwith original trilogy. tfw I don't even watch them.

I hope they're in decent condition. I forgot, does Lucas still have control over the OT movies? I hope Disney can stop him from continuing to add CG crap to the OT and force a decent remastered, unmolested OT Bluray release. With smudge blob under the landspeeder and everything.
>tfw no face
>>
File: AbominableChewbacca-SWT.png (3 MB, 1024x1350) Image search: [Google]
AbominableChewbacca-SWT.png
3 MB, 1024x1350
>>64735991
Well fuck you too then
>>
>>64737271
There was literally nothing like the cinematography when it came out. ILM was built from the ground up to do Star Wars.
Let's be real that's why it stands out in pop culture. The more mythic waxing Empire may be the nerds gateway drug but it's the romp that people remember.
>>
This is some shit fucking bait my man.

You also need to be 18 to visit this site.
>>
>>64736064
>psycho is one of the most poorly-acted movies of all time
lolwut.
>>
>>64736111
"i've have a feeling about this" is literally cliche BECAUSE of Star Wars.
>>
>>64735943

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvJDItC6tE0

FUCK OFF AND DIE FUCKING MILLENIAL FAGGOT
>>
>>64735943
It was good at the time. It's still good flick. The praise come entirely from nostalgia, denying that is just stupid.
Wookie is the most fucking irritating shit, and i can't watch it now sadly
>>
>>64735943
SPECIAL EFFECTS MAN
>>
>>64736713
>finding the prequels complex
How retarded are you? Retard.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.