[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settles, can we agree that this movie relied
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
Now that the dust has settles, can we agree that this movie relied too heavily on nostalgia and the Star Wars license but still was good in it's own way?
>>
>>64722914
well, yeah, but now I just wanna make wild speculations about Rogue One
>>
I liked it.
>>
>>64722914
nope. The cast was CHARMING. A key ingredient for a LIKEABLE Star Wars movie.
>>
>>64722914
>so uncivilized

So did the prequels. Also, if Lucas directed this exact film everyone would marvel at its poetry.
>>
It was an action flick

If you judge it based on that, yeah, it was a decent movie
>>
>>64723136
Charm - something /tv can't grasp.
>>
It's the sequel rehash everyone always wanted. It's not bad and it's very pretty but there's nothing interesting about it.
>>
>>64722914
its not a star wars movie, it misses everything that makes star wars special and honestly the people who like the characters have absolutely shit tastes. All the actors were decent at best, no one brought an A game or evne a B game, none of the characters screamed that actor, all of them could be replaced in the next movie and youd barely know it
>>
Just FYI, if TFA now follows the exact same box office gross as Jurassic World (raw numbers, not percentage drops/increases) it will finish its North America run with 907M

this would place it at number 11 of all time, adjusted for inflation

if it follows the percentage drops it will get around 940M and eke past 101 Dalmatians into the top 10
>>
>>64723146
>if Lucas directed this exact film everyone would marvel at its poetry.

Lucas couldn't have made this exact film. He's too autistic to have been able to written the humor and character relationships in a believable way.
>>
>>64722914
I was enjoying it before Han even showed up. The new characters sold me tbqh.
>>
>>64722914
no it had shit writing pacing spacing and practical effects it's just a turd
>>
>>64722914
How is it good in its own way?
>>
>>64722914
I was talking about this small bit with a friend but the use of the Star Destroyer and the Walker in decrepit form had a sort of thematic dissonance that made it feel more like an easter-egg than anything of substance.
If both vessels are in a decayed state, particularly with how they're used and hollowed out for scrap, the theme would be that the age where they were relevant is gone by; that they are relics and meant to be mysterious and symbolic.
But the entire galactic empire shtick is still going on, so that age hasnt really passed. It'd be better, if the purpose was to show how long the conflict had been going on, to use one of the newer designs in the same decrepit conditions.
So for me it was just a nostalgia throwaway.
So yes anon, it relied too heavily on nostalgia and using the genius that Lucas left behind instead of coming up with anything of Abrams' own
>>
File: TFA-cast.jpg (121 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
TFA-cast.jpg
121 KB, 720x480
Having a negative opinion about the most anticipated movie of all time makes people feel important and creates a smug sense of superiority.

These people have nothing going for them in their lives, so shitting on a popular movie that is celebrated by "normies" grants them, in their head, this intellectual upperhand. They think people will revere them for seeing flaws they don't see, when in reality people see them as, dare I say it, a pretentious asshat. Flaws that, if you watched the movie and paid attention, hold no weight.
Ignore these people. They are miserable beings trying to spread their misery. They will spout "Hi R*ddit" when they feel threatened and have nothing worthwhile to refute you with. Take this as a winning sign.

Enjoy your newest installment of the Star Wars franchise. It is a magnificent return to form to Original Trilogy aesthetics, while also bringing in modern sensibilities to create new fans in the people of today. It is worthy of your praise.
>>
>>64722914
How did two groups of mercenary's get on Han and Chewie's ship without them knowing...
>>
>>64724264
I guess jjabrams is too autistic too because nothing about Rey and how she interacted with anyone was believable.

Finn was fine aside from the fact he acted nothing like how a soldier from birth would act. If that wasn't his back story (ie he had only been a storm trooper for a year or two) he would be completely fine.

Han, chewie, Poe and leia were fine.

Kylo was ok but him being a pathetic wannabe meant the film was left without a true villain, which Star Wars really needs.

The big problem with TFA is it focuses on the two worse written characters, and the terrible pacing or the plot.
>>
>>64724584
I got a box of rock to sell you they're from the Kanjikloob
>>
ehhh the directing and production was fine, the script was just weak.

but it's not intended to be some sort of amazing new addition, it's a dumb reboot movie.
>>
File: 340847_1262367054720_375_300.jpg (23 KB, 375x300) Image search: [Google]
340847_1262367054720_375_300.jpg
23 KB, 375x300
>tfw casuals on Normiebook are taking personal offense to people criticizing TFA and JJ, and are blaming all of the films shortcomings on Lucas while at the same time claiming the film had no real shortcomings
>>
>>64724573

This was one of my biggest problems with TFA. They still use the Rebellion/Empire conflict, no matter how they re-brand it. The thing about the Clone War era is that it's a totally different type of conflict, it's clearly two titans with unimaginably large forces smashing into each other, as exemplified by the battle on Geonosis or the battle over Couroscant. TFA kept the same conflict instead of introducing a new one the way the prequels did.
>>
>>64722914
Nope. Was exactly what I wanted and needed to see to know they were on the right path again after the prequel abortions. I didn't find the "nostalgia" or "fan service" to be too overt, and in fact there was considerably less forced fan servicey bullshit than the last 3 star wars movies. It did stay incredibly close to the plot structure of ANH, which is a valid criticism but IMO I'd rather have this Star Wars movie be too similar to the Star Wars shit I liked than the fucking nightmare that was Phantom Menace.

The dust is nowhere near having "settled," but this movie will be re-watchable and honestly enjoyed in 20 years, and is a fitting continuation of the orig trig. The production quality, aesthetics, and emotional heart of the film will way outlive the logical nitpicks and fan service complaints that edgy /tv/ contrarians thrive on.
>>
>>64724573
That's exactly what I though. It would have been great if it was used as a reference to show how time had passed and the conflict had just keep continuing, engulfing the galaxy to the point were masses of wreckage and waste had become a norm, that it had become a real bitter slug fest that seemed to have no end and that the war itself was worse than the empire/order having control.

Problem is that's not the case at all and RotJ never really left that as a possibility. They just lazily bypassed shit that should be explain like why the first order are still around when we got three movies showing its fall, or how they got Luke's old lightsaber when he lost it in a very dramatic way. The whole things just lazy.
>>
>>64725181

It will be totally forgotten in 20 years for having almost nothing unique or memorable about it.
>>
File: ahhhhyeah.gif (2 MB, 275x248) Image search: [Google]
ahhhhyeah.gif
2 MB, 275x248
>>64725173
>tfw edgy retards on /tv/ think they're special for talking shit about things that people like.
>tfw you retards talk about how the prequels were better, then call anybody a casual.
>>
>>64725181
Just say you like to suck corporate dick. You like cheese wiz also?
>>
>>64725181
How did this have less pointless references and shit show up from the originals than 1 or 2?
>>
>>64725336
I'd say see you in 20 years, but I'm sure you'll have bled to death getting cut on all that edge.

I'll be willing to bet that when Avatar 2 or whatever else comes out in a few years, fags like you will be defending this shit like you fags keep defending Avatar now.
>>
>>64725426
We're talking about tentpole blockbusters. They're all produced by corporations. Kind of a retarded comeback to act like a person is a corporate whore for having enjoyed a film. Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1411774225357.jpg (52 KB, 614x733) Image search: [Google]
1411774225357.jpg
52 KB, 614x733
>>64725381
5>4>6>7>3>1>2

fite me faggit
>>
>>64725381
>mfw you just call anyone who disagrees with you a retard without justifying any of your opinions beyond "it was better because I said so"
You're ironically doing exactly what the person you replied to was talking about. Just shitting on people and name calling without offering a counter argument.
>>
>>64725381
>retarded normies are literally trying to use popularity as evidence things are good and want to silence dissent
i guess because that's how they form their own opinions
>>
File: 223564363.jpg (58 KB, 451x648) Image search: [Google]
223564363.jpg
58 KB, 451x648
>>64725663
Your top 3 is great..

Then you became a faggot.
>>
>>64725663
>i have no taste of my own
You're already fighting with yourself kiddo
>>
>>64725663
4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 2
>>
>>64725652
good now think back about why you "like" this thrash
>>
star wars in 2015 is not the same star wars of 1980. [edit: american] movies have very gradually turned into safe, conventional ultra-clean digital HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO GAME oatmeal mush since the New Hollywood era bit the dust (while TV is finally experiencing its first true creative golden age, if film was the sacrifice then it's legit arguable whether it was worth it). something like 2 years ago i heard jj abrams was directing this, and the feelings i had seconds after the news are about the same feelings i had walking out of the theater. his production company is ironically called Bad Robot, dude's filmmaking is Ubisoft-levels of formulaic. jerk me off with more shots of R2D2 please, the entire audience is autoerotically assfixiating like jabba for you. nothing is earned, lightning never struck the same place twice, fuck you jj abehole i hope i see you in my dreams so you can ruin those too scifi rapist

don't listen to me though, 9 out of 10 modern popcorn chompin professional critics opened their bookmarked thesauruses so you could feel a little communal hype for something in ur sad life god fuck look what you did abrams you are the bane of my existence, hope your shareholders are happy
>>
>>64725900
5 > 6 > 4 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 2
>>
>>64725663
This is correct
>>
>>64725439
>Anakin built C3PO
>Boba Fett's dad shows up with baby Fett for no fucking reason
>The Clones are all Fetts
>The whole plot is focused on some bullshit prophecy about Darth Vader
>Hey look there's Yoda
>Hey look Yoda's got a mini lightsaber

This can go on and on and on and on and on and on. The Orig Trig references in TFA weren't hackneyed bullshit "Oh Look there's X," they all fit into the script in ways where they weren't inexplicably forced into the events to do nothing but be there. They all played a role without distracting or being fucking force in like the goddamn Fetts.

As for the "pointless" references. They were literally throwaway gags that didn't hinder the story progression. "Oh look there's the target ball" took up 1 second, "Hey there's that board game" was a background event. It was fan service done right, by my opinion, and by most people's opinion. It worked for me. If it didn't work for you, that sucks for you.
>>
File: NITHE.gif (495 KB, 194x172) Image search: [Google]
NITHE.gif
495 KB, 194x172
>>64725730
>mfw you say mfw without a mfw
>mfw you need to pretend that the prequels haven't been addressed a million goddamn times.
>mfw I'm not the one calling people anything when they disagree with me
>mfw you're this retarded
>>
>>64725908
I've written pretty extensively about why I "like" this trash. It's well made, has an emotional heart to it that the prequels lacked, is competent and was fun, and demonstrated that it understood what made the orig trig good and proved that Star Wars could be saved from the prequels.

I liked the characters, I thought they were dynamic and human. It's got my favorite light saber fights in the series, it gets rid of the acrobatic bullshit from the prequels, and the action is more dynamically shot than the OT. I thought it wasn't perfect, but it was the level of good where it was weirdly supplemented by the fuck ups, like all the nitpicks that can be made about the OT. It'll be well regarded in the history of the franchise and the history of film.

Now you think back about why you "like" anything you belligerent faggot. Literally every film ever produced was produced by an LLC, so explain how you're not a corporate whore you edgy teenage know-nothing.
>>
File: illbuythatforadollar (1).gif (4 MB, 255x222) Image search: [Google]
illbuythatforadollar (1).gif
4 MB, 255x222
>>64725663
But I generally agree with you. I think an argument can be made that 7>6, what with the teddy bears. And ranking the prequels is generally about which one you think is the least shit.
>>
>>64725663
objectively correct
>>
File: tipz.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tipz.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>64725972
All tentpoles follow the same fucking script format dickhead. Abramihs is objectively one of the best blockbuster filmmakers, arguably ever. Go on, keep complaining about how the characters that appear in all the fucking movies appear in the fucking movie. Keep acting like that's a valid complaint.

>being this edgy.
>>
>>64723136

The problem though was that Rey felt like she was someone who watched the Star Wars movies and was then transported into the universe.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.