[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: star-wars-rey~01.jpg (36 KB, 501x379) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-rey~01.jpg
36 KB, 501x379
/tv/ really hated this?

Why?
>>
Female lead and black love interest.
>>
Tv hates anything reddit or tumblr likes. So basically everything
>>
who scratched her
>>
File: 02.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2526) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2526
>>64716384
I fucking love Rey
>>
It was 90% action scenes

Shitty plot

Poor dialogue

Shit cinematography
>>
File: 1452127836335.png (325 KB, 720x294) Image search: [Google]
1452127836335.png
325 KB, 720x294
>>64716406
>black life interest
You're wrong, my man.
>>
>>64716473
HIGH TEST
>>
whats there to like about it? there was no depth. no plot. unforgettable characters. too faced paced. no cool lightsaber duels. theres literally nothing star wars about it. sure if you want an action flick then TFA is fine, but if you want a star wars film TFA isn't the one.

tfw rey suddenly realises she can control people telepathically, has a couple attempts then perfects it

tfw an untrained scavenger desert nigger girl can beat a man trained in the arts
>>
File: 1452114021120.jpg (42 KB, 434x501) Image search: [Google]
1452114021120.jpg
42 KB, 434x501
>>64716454
Kanjiklub
>>
>>64716384
The latest sick meme along with Nevermind
>>
>>64716518
shit shitty shitty shit shit shitty amirite? XD
>>
>>64716653
Kill yourself.
>>
>>64716653
>sure if you want an action flick then TFA is fine, but if you want a star wars film TFA isn't the one

b8
>>
>>64716384
It's a pure cinématographe, of course no one on /tv/ can understand it.
>>
Every time I look at Rey I see an unstoppable force of bullshit that will win every single conflict and be universally loved by everyone and everything and will never be made to look weak or vulnerable.

She is the thing i'm least looking forward to in the future.
>>
>>64717022
>will never be made to look weak or vulnerable.
Kylo will break her in the next episode.
>>
>>64717136
>Kylo will break her in the next episode.
Sexually?
>>
>>64716793
how so? it was an action flick hiding behind star wars as a mask. there was no comfy conversations in coruscant, no good shots of different worlds and cities. literally no background information besides whats currently happening.
dont want our viewers to get bored of our action flick amirite

literally transformers-tier garbage. zero substance. the only part that felt like a star wars was Jakku
>>
>>64716384
It was fine, but it wasn't that good. For me, the magic of Star Wars had been lost. I was never nearly excited for it as I would have been a couple years ago.
>>
>>64716384
Rey is boring as shit, for lack of a better term she's an utter Mary Sue.
Finn made absolutely no sense in his morals or the way he acted in general given his upbringing.
Character motivations are unclear.
Old characters brought in for no other reason than HEY GUYS LOOK IT'S THE ACTORS FROM THE OLD STAR WARS MOVIES NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK
A third death star, but planet sized, built by "the ashes of the Empire"
"WATCH OUT FOR THOSE TOWERS"
Not saving Kylo's unmasking for his confrontation with Han, but instead ruining it completely by taking it off halfway and turning him into a bitch who gets slapped around by the Mary Sue.
Literally everything about the final shot of Rey handing Luke the lightsaber.
>>
Most of /tv/ liked it or thought it was average

Personally I hated it and liked the prequels better, but everytime I say that someone says I'm baiting
>>
>>64717377
lmao this
finn was captured at the age of 5 and brainwashed into serving them all his life yet he somehow has this moral compass that drove him to betray everyone hes known his whole life by rescuing some spic ''because its the right thing to do''

what a load of trash
>>
i disliked Rey, not necessarily cuz she was a mary sue but because she was boringly written

she comes from this supposedly rough background but almost nothing she says or does actually reflects this except for the fact that she can fight

we have a scavenger guy who just randomly gives her a droid for no reason, i thought he was going to tell her to fuck off and say the droid was his and then she was going to threaten the guy for it and that would reflect her background (and the setting) but nope

then she's supposedly struggling to eat, but for the most part she looks perfectly healthy

she was raised with no parents, was completely alone, and had to fend for herself in a shitty desert planet with no friends, yet she is 100% likable and moral and everyone is instantly fond of her and willing to trust her; i would expect her to be cold, distant, somewhat autistic, shy, and overall not liked that much but nope, can't have that
>>
>>64716473

Tell me what's attractive about this.
>>
>>64717555
You're a faggot so you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>64717214
Are you on a phone?
>>
>>64717605

>toothpick with a big forehead and a frogface

Yeah dude, you must be a faggot if you don't like that.
>>
>>64717499

I loved how he didn't want to kill townspeople because his "friend" died, but 5 mins later was shooting everyone he had ever knew when trying to escape on the TIE fighter.
>>
>>64717461
Maybe you should stop baiting then.
>>
>>64716384
fa/tv/irgins are contrarian
>>
I just watched the OT for the first time in a LONG time after watching TFA. And with ep 4, 5, 6 each one brought new imagination into the universe. TFA brings nothing. Everything they showed was either straight copied or a 2.0 with minor changes. Even the story was all too familiar.
>>
>>64717672
Maybe the one who died was his only friend.

Maybe they were even more than friends, you don't know.
>>
>>64717692
nah, it's just a mediocre film.
>>
It's apparently a rehash of A New Hope.
>>
>>64716384
I absolutely hated this movie. Ray is a Mary Sue and its honestly given me a new found appreciation for the prequels. Reddit pride worldwide.
>>
>>64717667
yes, you must be.
>>
>>64717699
>new imagination

>ewoks

Yub Nub, my son.
>>
Just got back from it. I actually feel good. Like really good. Movies usually don't do that to me. I guess /tv/ hasn't truly broken me yet.
>>
>>64717214
But it was PRUH-TEH-KOOL! Not some stupid green screen that dozens of people made into the beautiful worlds with their hard work and the power of state of art computers that Plinkett hates so much despite being unable to name a single reason why, some PRUH-TEH-KOOL shots of desert, canteen, Millenium Falcon and snowy forest!
>>
>>64717639
why?
>>
File: 1451670815619.gif (968 KB, 320x265) Image search: [Google]
1451670815619.gif
968 KB, 320x265
>>64717828
>>
>>64717499
>"'because its the right thing to do''

Po called him on his bullshit. Its because he needed a pilot to escape. Did you even watch it?
>>
File: Tragedy.jpg (981 KB, 1456x816) Image search: [Google]
Tragedy.jpg
981 KB, 1456x816
>>64717740
ive always loved the prequels, watching TFA and being bored after 20 minutes just reminded me why i love them so much

ive never turned my back on the prequels
>>
>>64716384
I didn't really hate it I just thought it could have been much better. Most of my problems are with the director.
>>
>>64717935
the point still fucking stands. why did he need to escape? why after being brainwashed since 5 years old would he have that mentality to turn on his own people.
>>
>>64717768
Agreed half of ep 6 is shit. Personally I find the alien karaoke scene worse than ewoks.
>>
>>64717952
Welcome to the team fellow prequel bro. Reddit pride worldwide
>>
>>64718006
Drained from seeing the war, death and destruction he was facing by remaining a stormtrooper. Humanity isn't as black and white, anon. Even on the silver screen.
>>
>>64717740
This. Anakin was the better Sue.

Rey is a woman though, which is just terrible.
>>
It's decent but doesn't live up to the quality we excepted after the OT and RotS
>>
So just say it with a friend, what did the line that Maz said to Rey about going towards the future or something, I took it as accepting her destiny and becoming a jedi and all that jazz but my friend thought Maz was talking about Finn
>>
>>64718006
Kylo inception'd the thought in his brain.
>>
>>64718085
>reddit is anything I don't like
Welcome reddit
>>
>>64718111
Honestly this. Look, I'm not a racist but casting Boyega was the worst decision Abrams could have made. The role was for a white guy, it should have been a white man. It just doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>64718136
RotS was dogshit though.
>>
>>64717753

Oh Reddit, keep making excuses for your ugly feminist demagogue; m'gentlesir.
>>
>>64717377
>>64717499
It's like a guy from ISIS suddenly joining the USA goverment to fight against Allah
>>
>Lets see
>Boring as fuck corporate retread of a classic to milk nostalgia bux from people who don't even have nostalgia for the product, but will after the marketing onslaught

>Shit tier writer/director

>Crappy far left political garbage being pushed to the front and center instead of left as subtext

Plus they called out based Jim. Fuck them.
>>
File: 546546546.jpg (78 KB, 338x320) Image search: [Google]
546546546.jpg
78 KB, 338x320
>tfw no qt 400lb Rey gf to call your very own.
>>
>>64717692
"contrarian" should be filtered. It's honestly retarded for lazy mindless consumers to just use this stupid word to "deal with" people who criticize obviously mediocre, mass-marketed stuff like Star Wars, Breaking Bad, etc.

It's worse than cuck, TbH, and reddit combined.
>>
The over-advertising.
>>
>>64718196
Thanks for the welcome man. /tv/ is a lot nicer than the guys back at Reddit said. Would you like to watch a prequel stream with us over there? We'll be shitting on TFA awakens in the chat.
>>
>>64718110
he was B R A I N W A S H E D. it wouldnt effect him. you fucking tool
>>
>>64717551
well fuck, it's almost there are another 2 movies to fill some fucking holes for you.
>>
>>64716384
/tv/ probably hasn't even seen it, to be honest. the reaction from people who have is mostly positive and initially, the first few days, it was the same here

but then the /tv/ cancer 'muh board culture' faggots decided that they knew how to get rid of the Star Wars tourist posters -- they'd pretend to like the prequels and praise their brilliance. that would surely run off the fags.

instead, it just drags more people in for star wars shitposting.
>>
>>64718286
So it was a better made version of the prequels.
>>
>>64718278

Not really. It's like someone who was kidnapped and indoctrinated by ISIS as a young child realizing they are full of shit and aren't doing God's work but their own fucked up shit.
>>
>>64718340
How would you know. Have you ever been brainwashed?
>>
>>64718298
It's lazy arguing. Equivalent to calling someone a poo poo head for not liking something.
This board is full of fucking toddlers.
>>
>>64718298
Sup reddit.
>>
>>64718298
>>64718489
Well meme'd reddit.
>>
>>64718421

Yeah.

Defending the prequels is a cool meme and all, but I don't think anyone on /tv/ really believes they are anything but shit.
>>
>>64718489
But that's not it at all. It's calling out people for leaning against popular trends by claiming the exact opposite to try and differentiate themselves from the masses.

It's a special snowflake syndrome, basically 4chan in a nutshell
>>
>>64716384
because there is always like 10-15 threads about that shit. MAKE ONE fucking thread and talk about it there
>>
I don't know why people here seem to take the movie so seriously. It's treated far more venomously than other disney products, transformers, Nolan movies etc and it's on the same level. Sure those movies get torn apart here but there seems to be a strange genuine hatred for TFA, it's bizarre.

What's worse is that a lot of the criticism is without merit if you pay attention to the film, i'm not sure if it's a few people repeating the same incorrect things ad nauseum or that childish surface level criticism and praise is really all this movie can pull out of people.

Then again it's a children's space wizard movie, what else is to be expected?
>>
>>64716473

>that mad as fuck glare
>>
>>64716384
Generic capeshit with a Star Wars reskin.

They are just churning out this cookie cutter garbage like it is going out of style.
>>
>>64718597
Get that common sense outta here, hothead.
>>
>>64718589
Why is it so hard for you fucking mongoloids to accept that people have different opinions?
Your fucking herd mentality is why NOBODY likes you faggot.
Sure there will always be shitposters who stir the pot in hopes of getting epin screencaps for reddit gold (You) but there are some people who just didn't like the movie because it was a poorly made piece of shit shat out for the sake of making a jizzilrian dollars by a corporatist cocksucker company that has PLENTY.

And the absolutely ironic thing about all of this is, the people who actually liked this garbage are fucking Bernie supporters.
Absolute retards!
>>
>>64716384
I actually enjoyed it but people denying that rey is a mary sue/that it's full off immersion breaking fanservice/that it's a copy of previous movies without new ideas/that it's full of stupid shit are clearly redditing.
>>
>>64717828
It just because you are american
>>
>>64718597

Star Wars is an elaborate space opera.

You're right about Disney marvelizing it, but that's not what Star Wars is supposed to be.
>>
>>64718221
Hello reddit
>>
>>64718816
REDDIT IS IN THE BUILDING
>>
>>64718597
>just turn ur brain off bro l0l
>>
>>64716384
It was okay at best.
>>
>>64718589
but when people give numerous valid reasons for disliking something, it's obviously not "leaning against popular trends ... to try and differentiate themselves from the masses."

That's precisely the problem. Calling someone "contrarian" might be valid if no one ever made actual arguments against popular works, but every Nolan, BrBa, Tarantino, and Star Wars thread is full of legit criticism. Thus the "contrarian" claim is almost always invalid on its face, and nothing more than shitposting.
>>
>>64718110
It was the first time he saw real combat and he has some sort of freak out but for the rest of the movie he seems to take exteme joy in killing his former brothers.
>>
>>64718589

>Not liking garbage aimed at especially dumb children

>Special snowflake

It's not even like we're discussing commonly held cultural beliefs or religious and political ideologies that will govern how you live your day to day life. It's literally;

>You disagree with an advertising campaign

>You must be a contrarian

Millenials further confirmed for worst generation.
>>
>>64716653
>unforgettable characters
I agree. I'll remember Kylo Ren for years to come.
>>
File: 145618954611951.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
145618954611951.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>64717952
>>
Didn't hate it, I just didn't think it was any better than the prequels.

Why do I think this?

Rey is a Mary sue (she's good at everything with no explanation. She's never flown, shot, or used the force before, but she excels in all those areas)

It ruined the ending of the OT and regressed the main characters (Han goes back to being a lowlife smuggler, Leia goes back to leading another resistance group, Luke goes into isolation)

It was unoriginal (not tatooine, not hoth, not a death star, not the empire/rebellion. It was literally a remake of episodes 4-6)

The dialogue was no better than the prequels (the "witty" quips and overreacted character relief bits were done in a marvel movie fashion, not star wars. Rest of the dialogue was prequel tier, but I guess nothing as horrible "I don't like sand" except for the stuff as mentioned before)

Overall it was no better than the prequels. Not horrible, but not deserving of the praise its getting. Especially from people who think the prequels are shit.

5>4>6>3 POWER GAP>7>/=1>/=2
>>
>>64717377
>Old characters brought in for no other reason than
It's a sequel you kek. And they were well-used

>Finn made absolutely no sense in his morals or the way he acted in general given his upbringing.
This is the worst meme regarding this movie; as if Star Wars is known for realistic character arcs. What the fuck do you want, a psychological drama about leaving a cult, or a space adventure film?
>>
>>64719280
>The dialogue was no better than the prequels

>"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"

No, the dialogue is much, much better.
>>
>>64716660

>TELL DET TE KAHNJE-KLEB
>>
The people who dislike it likely don't understand its postmodern brilliance. It's the deepest Star Wars movie by far.
>>
>>64719280
REDDIT IS IN THE HIZZOUSE
>>
>>64719455
This. TFA is far greater than the prequels. It even supersedes the vision of Lucas's original trilogy with dazzling bravado. The vision is staggering, the performance are first rate, and brings back the glorydays of 70's new Hollywood for a brand new generation. And if anyone thinks I'm a shill I assure everyone in this thread that no one at 20th Century Fox paid me to post this.
>>
>>64719455
The only thing that's "deep" is disney's cock in your ass, homofuck.
>>
>actual scenes with cinematography and a mise-en-scene
>actual visual storytelling
>actual acting
Anyone comparing TFA to the prequels is nothing more than an asshole memester.
>>
>>64719404
>not using the most patrician meme of 2016
Pleb
>>
>>64719455
Shut the fuck up
>>
File: haha.jpg (63 KB, 678x597) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
63 KB, 678x597
Its trash only praised by the cine-illiterate
>>
>>64719500
>And if anyone thinks I'm a shill I assure everyone in this thread that no one at 20th Century Fox paid me to post this.
That's because 20th Century Fox doesn't exclusively own the rights to Star Wars anymore you fucking retard.
>>
>>64719509
>>64719555
Well argued points there lads, you sure showed him!
>>
>>64719509
I bet the thematic reason for Rey's rebel doll and Kylo Ren's worship of Vader went over your head. Kek.
>>
>>64719500
I'm sure they spent money to hire shills for one of the most successful movies of all times on an anonymous Cambodian imageboard
>>
>>64719191
look everyone, it's "superhero origin story" guy again

point and laugh
>>
>>64719563
>lessons in stillness
>JJ Abrams
>>
>>64718367
>character is poorly written
>"the sequels will explain it!"

is this what movies have come to? to get even basic characterization you have to watch multiple films?
>>
>>64719563
No wonder I like TFA; it's the high-budget Malick film we never got.
>>
>>64719599
It was symbolic for millennial redditors and their inability to create anything new hence their clinging to past idols (muh OT) and false projections (SJW shit).
>>
>>64719383
DROID PLEASE
>>
>>64716384

it's meh, not impressed in the least, while i didn't feel like i wasted my money but JJ is such a fucking faggot director it's not even funny
>>
Daily reminder that fans hated The Empire Strikes Back when it came out
>>
>its so shit the director had to come out and defend that he aped the first movie
>its so shit he had to explain the r2d2/bebe eight thing
>>
>>64719701
Perfectly decent line
>>
>>64719670
you're just not a TRUE fan, shitlord
>>
>>64719772
>it's so shit that it had a 93% on RT and is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time
>>
>>64719782
L M A O
>>
I WANT REY TO SIT ON MY FACE
>>
>>64719848
>b-but munee
>>
>>64719848
well at least we know where its fan sensibilities sit
>>
>>64719861
Here's the thing, a throwaway joke being bad isn't anywhere near as offensive as an important line during the film's emotional climax being bad.
>>
>>64719848
>3rd highest grossing film of all time
That means Avatar is an even better movie!
>>
>>64720162
It's grosses higher than avatar
>>
>>64720123
it's only bad because you bought the memes. the other one is literally nigga please in space.
>>
>>64720282
He isn't white so its his type of """"comedy"""" mate
>>
>>64720260
Not Yet. It's still gaining in quality. But when it does outgross Avatar it will officially be a better movie.
>>
>>64720417
my bad homie
>>
>>64717828
Good man.
>>
>>64720282
You don't actually believe that that line constitutes good writing, or is well-delivered. Stop pretending, you'll feel better.
>>
>>64720742
i'll stop "pretending" to like things when you stop "pretending" that "muh superhero origin story" is anything other than an asspull to justify shit writing
>>
Are there any nudes of Rey?
>>
>>64716384
po·ta·to
>>
>>64720944
Rey or Daisy?
Drawn and whooped Rey porn is here
>>>/aco/281239
>>
>>64717828
come back in a year lol
>>
>>64716384
>Why?
Because /tv/ hates anything that's popular.
>>64716473
Holy shit you could wreck someone with those legs.
>>
>>64720944
not for a jedi
>>
>>64716384
I liked it because I can have my own opinions without caving in to contrarian autists.
>>
>>64721000
daisy

I just found this which isn't what I was expecting
http://www.recapped.com/daisy-ridley-nude-in-silent-witness
>>
>>64721099
you "like" it because your a social faggot afraid to not fit in with your hippy faggots.
>>
File: 1452469146060.jpg (24 KB, 500x691) Image search: [Google]
1452469146060.jpg
24 KB, 500x691
NOW WATCH ME WHIP

NOW WATCH ME MEEMEE
>>
>>64720475
In America it already is the highest grossing.

Rest of the world is pleb so who cares.
>>
>>64716384
Did this thread really need to be made?

Some posts why it's shit in every fucking thread, including the non Star Wars threads.

I wish mods would delete this lazy pathetic OP that create no real original discussion on a topic that is discussed a 100 times a day on here. Fucking hell. This is why /tv/ is so shit
>>
>>64721338
when everyone gets the memo it will stop.
>>
File: 1452349427378.jpg (42 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1452349427378.jpg
42 KB, 250x238
>contrarians
>>
>>64721338
You're so cool Anon.

So contrarian.
>>
>>64721043
>/tv/ hates what's popular
It couldn't possibly be for valid reasons that are posted on /tv/ a million fucking times, could it? Yeah na /tv/ must have shit taste for not liking a boring poorly written, directed and acted movie, not to mention the forgettable music and bad pacing.
>>
>>64721246
America is not total grosses. TFA may yet grow in quality exceeding Avatar. But not until it outgrosses it.
>>
>>64721338
I love how you always go against the flow anon. You're so unique xoxoxo
>>
>>64718325

>the force awakens awakens
>>
>>64720873
The way it treats the force is irrelevant to whether or not its a good movie in my eyes. It can ruin the film for you for all I care, it's just obnoxious to hear the "Mary Sue" argument for a character arc that would constitute normal in every superhero movie.
>>
>>64721516
There's that word again.
>>
>>64721596
>quality
check your words
>>
>>64719563

He looks like Ben Bernanke. Is he a Jew?
>>
>>64721661
maybe for superman, otherwise not really
>>
>>64721664
CONTRARIAN DETECTED
>>
>>64717883
lil nigga tryna smoke u feel
>>
>>64721596
>But not until it outgrosses it.

no one is more gross than you man
>>
I watched the camrip on my laptop. 4/10 flick at best.
>>
>>64716384
>REY MIXER
>>
>>64721661
>it's just obnoxious to hear the "Mary Sue" argument for a character arc that would constitute normal in every superhero movie.

and it's obnoxious to be told that disliking literally anything popular makes you a contrarian, but we cant have our cake and eat it too, can we?

not to mention that Star Wars isn't a fucking superhero franchise, so making a "superhero" out of nowhere totally doesn't fucking fit. you don't get to disregard the rules of a universe for "muh rool of cool". well, i guess you can because shitbirds like yourself will eat it up and defend it because "just turn ur brain off bro l0l" ignoring the fact that although star wars was never complicated, it was consistent and believable within the context of the universe.

now we're treated to "hurr the force did it you can't prove me wrong :^)"

riveting shit i tell you
>>
>>64716653
yeah this is why. also its literal a rip off of new hope.
>>
File: 1411554145532.jpg (18 KB, 343x370) Image search: [Google]
1411554145532.jpg
18 KB, 343x370
>>64717840
He clearly names his reasons for it, he has extensive portions of each of his 3 videos dedicated to it. I live those reviews you fuck, don't come tell me he never names a reason for his beliefs.
>>
>>64721825
Grosses are the only objective way to measure quality. It's like midichlorian count to measure force sensitivity.
>>
>>64721803
all caps facebook memer detected
>>
File: 23jqt1f.jpg (181 KB, 1599x664) Image search: [Google]
23jqt1f.jpg
181 KB, 1599x664
>>64718367
>>
Something that bugged me as someone who grew up with the prequels and all the miscellaneous SW media from the 90s and 00s is that Lucas built a universe with lots of recognizable locations, alien races, etc. TFA doesn't feel like it's set in this universe. It feels like it's set in a generic unrelated scifi setting. I understand and appreciate why Disney ditched the EU, but the franchise has had a pretty consistent aesthetic style with consistently recognizable aliens and such for a long time, and TFA ignoring most of that while making up new aliens and locations as it went along without bothering to explain where or how they fit into the wider SW universe was a bit jarring, even if it is closer to how the OT did things.

Finn and Rey were problematic too. I think the actors did a better job than /tv/ gives them credit for, even if Finn was miscast. However, the way the were written was strange. They both behave and speak like well adjusted millenials instead of how people from their backstories would be expected to behave. Finn was a brainwashed child soldier and yet within hours of leaving that life behind he is indistinguishable from the token rich black kid everyone knows from college. Likewise with Rey. She's supposedly a severely undersocialized orphan who raised herself and grew up surrounded by prejudiced aliens, but except for scenes where this is brought up to play on the audiene's emotions, it never seems to inform her behavior. She just comes across as a generic middle class white girl.
>>
>>64721990
REDDIT DETECTED
>>
>>64722107
>Finn was miscast

How you doing tonight /pol/?
>>
>>64722071
>>>/v/
>>
>>64722229
Not bad. How are you doing, Reddit?
>>
>>64721904
So your problem isn't that she's a Mary Sue, it's that you perceive the quick ramp up of her powers as breaking established Star Wars lore. If that's the case then say that, don't keep quoting Max Landis' tired memes
>>
>>64722620
Not bad at all thanks for asking.
>>
File: GoodPoint.png (619 KB, 799x708) Image search: [Google]
GoodPoint.png
619 KB, 799x708
>>64716406

Female lead who is the worst kind of female protagonists.

Completely perfect totally unflappable all-powerful 'Strong Female Character' #28, sub-type B.

The 'I can have no flaws whatsoever, because i am The Female Protagonist, and if i have flaws then it reflects badly on all women, everywhere.'

I cannot for the life of me name one single character trait Rey has beyond 'naive'.

A character is their flaws. Finn was a weird character, because he's goofy black comic relief despite being a fucking child soldier - and i want to find the person who made an interesting character concept into 'goofy black sidekick' and fucking murder them. But he had a character, he had traits. He was somewhat interesting.

He isn't good at everything. He actually isn't good at a lot. But he keeps going, gets the shit beaten out of him, succeeds in some areas and fails in others. And that makes him an interesting character. hell, that makes him a character.

Rey is not a character. She's whatever the female equivalent of a wank rag is. Finn isn't perfect, but his characterization is miles ahead of Rey. Jar Jar fucking Binks' characterization is miles ahead of Rey.

Rey is always on top of every situation, whether it makes sense or not. She's never put into a situation where she is challenged, because she has no weaknesses.

She's a pilot better than Han. She's a force sensitive stronger than Luke. She's as good a shot as the stormtrooper ace she's waltzing around with. She's as strong as a literal career army man, and better in hand to hand too.

As a result she isn't a character. And worse, she's a character who drags everyone around her down into the dirt. By making things look easy, she makes other characters hard won accomplishments seem pointless by comparison.
>>
>>64722702
Without having never flown a ship, let alone an old ship like the Millenial Falcon, she mastered the controls instantly and was doing all kinds of complicated fighter jet trickery. Without ever holding a blaster, she got perfect aim by her second shot. Without ever holding a lightsaber, she beat the strongest training sith/darth jr whatever it's called. Without ever using the force she mastered mind control after 15 seconds. She crawls around an electrical panel and instantly figures out how to circumvent all the First Order's defenses. How is she not a mary sue?
>>
>>64716384
I liked it a lot.II can't wait for the next movie to reveal why she was able to wield the force so capably during TFA.
Everyone questioning how it was possible for Rey to do those things is exactly what the makers want.
It will make for a great sequel to TFA.
>>
>>64716544
>character's name is rey mixer

r(ey)ace mixer
>>
>>64723658
All of these things she did so obviously beg the question, How can she do these things?
It's so obvious that there is a significant reveal planned for the second movie in this series.
>>
>>64723571
>She's whatever the female equivalent of a wank rag is.
Dildo?
>>
>>64723571
>>64717022
>>64717377

Oh fuck off. You're probably one of those faggots who shit on korra for not being EXACTLY what Rey is. Korra is an ok bender who constantly gets her ass kicked, needs constant rescuing, and needs team mates. You fags were all hurr durr aangr would wtf pwn korra sucks.

Just admit you hate female protags, because after 100 years of male gary stus in cinema, mary sues being an issue is a fucking joke.
>>
>>64724654
>/co/
>>
>>64719500
Thanks for admitting you're a Disney shill. Hopefully they still pay you even though you're not good at it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>64716384

No we didn't. Most of us loved it you fag enabling Reddit pleb
>>
>>64724960
>us
no john you are the reddit
>>
>>64716384
I'm pretty sure most all the people shit-talking the movie are memeing, as /tv/ posters are wont to do. The movie certainly wasn't perfect, but it was competent and had its moments. I am sincerely excited for the next one, especially considering the new talent they have onboard for it.
>>
>>64724446
No it poses the question, not begs the question.
And what kind of reveal would explain any of that? The "reveal" is probably that she's Luke's daughter which may explain the force sensitivity but that's about it.
>>
>>64724654

> Just admit you hate female protags, because after 100 years of male gary stus in cinema, mary sues being an issue is a fucking joke.

Either that or i was really, really fucking excited over star wars first female protagonist, and was ridiculously pissed off over how incredibly shit she was.

Yeah, actually, me knowing myself, i was that.

Don't act like i was happy to have been dissapointed. I wasnt sitting in the cinema thinking 'oh fucking joy! a reason to hate this movie!'. I was watching with my heart sinking as i realised more and more how awfully she was written, to the point where i honestly believe i could do a better job.

(My 'do a better job' changes would include:

1) Show rey using very basic force persuasion on Jakku without really realizing it - showing her getting that trader to change his mind when no one else gets pleasant treatment should do it - tp show she has a basic knack for it.
2) She lives next to a star destroyer. Show her scavenging a basic pilot sim from it and practicing in it in her spare time constantly. Immediately establish that she is 1) technical 2) able to fly 3) isolated from others on the planet and 4) dreams of leaving despite her insistence on staying
3) have the lightsaber she gets a hold of be a double sided one / change her melee weapon to more of a normal sword. Thus giving justification for why she is able to hold her own in a lightsaber fight. )

Also, i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I have never watched Korra. But if Korra gets the shit beaten out of her, is forced to rely on friends and needs actual help - that makes her a better, more interesting character than Rey.

Humans get help. Rey gets fucking divine intervention from the sky.
>>
>>64719848
So what you're saying is the average movie goer likes mediocre films.
>>
>>64716384
It's trendy to hate things normies like, and they're all sexist so they interpret a heroic female as feminism even if it has nothing to do with feminism or female superiority.
>>
So was Luke not the chosen one then, if Kylo and Snoke are out there bringing the force out of balance?
>>
>>64725360
Wasn't Anakin the chosen one? Are they just going down the family line to Rey, who is Luke's daughter?
>>
TFA is pretty much the best Star Wars movie yet.

It beats not onlt the prequels but also the OT in special effects and acting

For once we have good looking CGI that make us feel more involved in its realm.

The sword fights look so much more realistic, the dialouge issplendid, and the entire storyline is much better than ANH that people claim it to be a copy of.

Like, for instance, the Death Star in this movie is reasonably powerful and the special effects and emotions of planets' destruction is so much better

Not to forget all the mysterious aspects that are left to be answered in the upcoming Episodes

Disney did an excellent job at hiring J.J. Abrams for making of this movie. Truly it satisfied the viewers, especially us fans, and will serve as a great continuation of the franchise
>>
>>64723571
>She's a pilot better than Han.
[citation needed] [her knowing about some scumbag's mods that Han didn't know about isn't a citation.]
>She's a force sensitive stronger than Luke.
[citation needed] [Her being guided by the Force to use basic Force powers is not a citation.]
>She's as good a shot as the stormtrooper ace she's waltzing around with.
[Citation needed.] [Her using a space gun to shoot a single stormtrooper that she missed with the first shot is not a citation.]
She's as strong as a literal career army man, and better in hand to hand too.
[Citation needed.] [Attacking unarmed Finn with a hafted weapon or wounded, bleeding out Kylo Ren with a laser sword is not a citation.]
>>
Dreaming of galaxies far, far away in cinemas nearby. Crowds gasp in amazement swinging their hands along with lightsaber movements. Alas, the audience's awe is uninspired. Just like Kylo Ren walks and talks Darth Vader but is afraid he will not surpass his supremacy, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is afraid of treading treading uncharted territory fearing it will not live up to the expectations set by the original trilogy. As a consequence its universe provides nothing but an ersatz adventure.

The banality of the blockbuster serves to suppress the audience's capacity for imagination of better worlds to come. Cool artifice replaces reality. As a spectacle the blockbuster reaches its apex when its whole is self-contained: nothing but images referring to other images of popular culture. In Star Wars: The Force Awakens the universe created is a hodge-podge of familiar elements of its franchise's former glory days. For instance, Rey, who ostensibly is the new Luke Skywalker, originates from a desert planet abandoned by family just as Luke was. The Empire is now called the First Order, ruled by a Sith Lord identical to the Emperor and is still intent on building planet-destroying superweapons containing one fatal construction flaw. Han Solo returns the way the fans were hoping for: flying the Millenium Falcon with Chewie. Sadness of his death stems more from the disappearance of a fan-favorite character than from a tragic narrative.
>>
>>64725464
they thought he was but it was actually luke
now I guess it must be rey
>>
>>64725500

Mired in self-references, the film ultimately signifies nothing. Its world is a poor substitute of man's innate sense of discovery. Where the literature of J.R.R. Tolkien fills the reader with a sense of wonder, Star Wars: The Force Awakens embodies the estrangement of man in his self-shaped artifice. The creatures wandering about come over as nonsensical and a mere sign of inter-space relations. More importantly, advanced technology is elevated to the fantastical, taking the place of man and nature as the source of all worship. Technique is shown to be a worthy ruler. Megalomaniac spaceships, each one bigger than the other, reveal our complex society's preoccupation with technological advancement. The Star Destroyer is its ultimate fetish.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is propaganda of seriousness (as defined by Johan Huizinga) in its most deceptive form. The viewer becomes trapped in its numerous winks to the Golden Oldies. He sublimates his innate alienation living in a technical world of artifice into an ersatz adventure. When he leaves the cinema, his critical faculties are weakened. Instead of being awakened, prompted to use his life force, he is lulled to sleep.
>>
>>64725464
Did it ever occur to you that the Chosen One is just Jedi prophecy and not something that literally has to exist in the setting?
>>
File: child.jpg (13 KB, 236x283) Image search: [Google]
child.jpg
13 KB, 236x283
>>64716384
it was a disney movie pretending to be a star wars movie
>>
>>64723658
>Without having never flown a ship, let alone an old ship like the Millenial Falcon
She was a pilot. That's what she said when she was running towards the quad jumper.

>Without ever holding a blaster, she got perfect aim by her second shot.
She misfires and accidentally leaves the safety on.

>Without ever holding a lightsaber, she beat the strongest training sith/darth jr whatever it's called.
The film establishes that she's experienced in combat early on in Jakku, where she uses her staff to beat up some guys. Also, Kylo Ren was injured and emotionally distressed.

Again, these are explained within the narrative of TFA.
>>
>>64725488

The citation is you watching the film.

Go do that, then come back.
>>
>>64725242
What the reveal will be is why I am excited for the next movie.
I couldn't tell you.
>>
>>64725500
>>64725585
Cool copy pasta.
>>
>>64724654
>>>/r/cuckold
>>
>>64725703
>no citations in this post

You've been defeated on the internet in an argument. You must now stop using the internet.
>>
>>64724654
>You're probably
>probably

fucking dropped
>>
>>64725686
>She misfires and accidentally leaves the safety on.

and then proceeds to have no problem bulls-eying everyone after that
>>
>>64725880
She shoots like 3 people and missed like 20 shots fired at Kylo ren
>>
>>64725686
>Also, Kylo Ren was injured and emotionally distressed

they did a real shit job of illustrating that when up until rey goes super saiyan he's pushing both her and finn's shit in while hardly seeming to be in any kind of pain, in fact he seems to be gaining power from his injuries
>>
>>64725880
are you going to complain about stormtroopers always missing their shot next?
>>
>>64725950
>missed

i don't think you know what that word means champ
>>
>>64725804

You've revealed you don't understand how arguments work.

You must now go back and finish school.
>>
>>64726029
that doesn't even follow from what i said you fucking idiot
>>
>>64716384
>tfw I wrote a scathing article on it
>tfw I cannot repost it because someone here will find me
>>
>>64725264
All your suggestions are actually pretty damn good
Why did they never do it?
>>
>>64725500
>>64725585
agreed its a case study in effective marketing.
>>
>>64722702
it's both you pedantic piece of human garbage
>>
>>64725990
most people would be able to infer his state, but the film literally spells it out by making a point of showing him bleeding and hitting his injury
>>
>>64721516
Nice buzzword friend.
>>
Rian Johnson will save the series and actually make a film out of episode 8
>>
>>64726788
He walks it off pretty good he even passes them if I remember correctly.
>>
>>64726788
except kylo ren was beating her just fine until she suddenly unlocks super saiyan mode

it's like she forgot that she could use the force until kylo mentions it, lol
>>
>>64726788
and it literally has no impact on him during the fight. it's just there as a weak ass justification that can be taken either way.
>>
>>64727130
>oh shit i can use the force?
>i guess that's why that stormtrooper let me go when i ordered him to
>i thought i was just being assertive
>>
>>64727072
>>64727130
>>64727164
He gets injured by non-force sensitive Finn and walks away in pain multiple times. It doesn't have to be be more obvious than that.
>>
>>64719313
>as if Star Wars is known for realistic character arcs
Luke Skywalker and Han Solo didn't have character arcs man you're right
>>
>>64725488
>[Her being guided by the Force to use basic Force powers is not a citation.]

She defeated Kylo Ren by using the force the very first instant she tried it.
>>
>>64723571
that was the one thing that annoyed me, she's too perfect and finn was almost too hopeless
>>
>>64727948
and he was still having the upper hand against rey in spite of those injuries until she goes super saiyan
>>
>>64721751
He's Arab American
>>
>>64725642
Isn't a prophecy supposed to predict some event happening or person doing something? What kind of prophecy is "One day, there will be a guy who is really strong in the force and he'll have a strong son too but he'll be a nerf herder"
>>
>>64717461
I hate to say it as well, but the prequels actually felt more like Star Wars than this new trash. Not to say the prequels weren't trash, mind you. They just had the feel and tone closer to the originals.
>>
>>64718110
Wasn't that supposed to be his first combat mission? It was so stupid...
>>
>>64725686
>She was a pilot.

No she says she's a pilot. Never does the story mention her actuallyflying anything. She rides around on a bicycle scavenging parts for a small town and has never left that area after being left there.

>She misfires and accidentally leaves the safety on.

That's why it says "second shot" her first shot was the misfire.

>The film establishes that she's experienced in combat early on in Jakku

yea she swings that wooden stick at those jawa like a pro

>Also, Kylo Ren was injured and emotionally
distressed.

He was stopping blaster rays which move at the speed of sound in mid air with no effort earlier in the movie. And he's strong enough to be the prize pupil of the emperor or whoever that mummy was. Yet a 20yo girl who has never held a sword let alone a light saber destroys him in that battle after saying "oh yea I forgot about the force"
>>
>>64716384
The main characters were dumb. The main plot was dumb. Everything in between the opening scene and end scene was dumb. Actually rey just stands there like a retard in the end so that even made that attempt at a classic star wars ending dumb. Fuck this movie was dumb
>>
>>64725950
She didn't miss, kylo just dodges them because he's a super soldier. Oh apart from when Rey remembers the force is a thing and decides she's primtime Yoda. Then Kylo is just a child again
>>
>>64728603
You'd think so, wouldn't you Reddit?
>>
>>64726029
That irritated me because there are clear ranks and the elite stormtroopers are still shit.
>>
>>64716384
>people still reply to these threads

havent we all shit on this enough?
>>
Only good parts was Poe (but very little screen time), Finn (but black), and scenes on Jakku.

Rest is complete S.H.I.T

3/10
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452453646081.jpg (74 KB, 554x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452453646081.jpg
74 KB, 554x960
>>64716384
Because it is a shell of a starwars movie, that's why
>>
>>64728716
you are the reddit here, reddit
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-40-29.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-40-29.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>64728716
>is this.. REEDOT?>>64728716
>>
>>64728803
>>64728858
Its always nice to see fellow redditor on /tv/. How's your night going gents?
>>
>>64728729
The Captain sure gave up and shut down the shield quickly. It's like all they had to say was 'please' the second time they asked. What's her life compared to the security of a planet sized weapon??
>>
>>64729020
*tips
>>
File: 1389430872966.jpg (2 MB, 1852x1622) Image search: [Google]
1389430872966.jpg
2 MB, 1852x1622
Can someone please post the cute comic of Ben and Rey at the jedi academy?
>>
>>64729323
*tips back*

Am I a memester yet?
>>
>>64728573
This is getting really obnoxious. The film flat-out states that she's a pilot then goes on to show her fly. What do you want, a 20 minute flashback sequence detailing how she learned to fly? This is nitpicking of the worst kind.
>>
>>64729527
you've been memeing the whole time
>>
The black guy was actually alright, it's the awful story and Napoleon Dynamite doing a shittier version of teenage Anakin. Also, emo Luke running away and leaving two pieces of a map, a cry for help!!! Fucking faggot.

Also Emo, incompetent Luke not training a single fucking Jedi in 30 years when the previous movie was called THE RETURN OF THE JEDI.

TFA is so fucking awful that it ruined RoTJ
>>
>>64729540
Criticism of Rey is a red herring. The problem is Kylo's story, the story in general, General Hux being too young and fucking cartoonish, Captain Phasma being on the poster but doing fucking nothing. Luke running away for no reason? And even worse, leaving a trail of breadcrumbs like a fucking runaway child, wanting his parents to come find him.
>>
>>64716384
>buying into the meme that women would be just as adept in battle whether it be with a lightsaber, gun or in a ship
Rey btfo all bad men

I only hope that I die before being exposed to rogue one
>>
>>64717206
That would go against everything star wars has set out to do
Unless kylo is a jew
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.